3DS, Vita, PS3, S4, Wii, Wii U, XBox 360 or Xbox 720

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 1:39 am

Which do you think is better/what to own(when it comes out) and why?

kirostun
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Apr 2013, 2:29 am

I would like a 3DS, ihave never played in 3D so i think it would be cool

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 11:59 pm

Am I the only one who hates the term Xbox 720? I can't wait for them to announce the new console so people can stop calling it that. It was a bad joke when the Xbox 360 was named that the next console would be called that and somehow it caught on. At least we could call it Durango since its the code name used on the dev kits.

Plus if you think about it, it implies that the Xbox is just going around in circles, which could be taken that its not moving forward or progressing as a brand.

Thatmew
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 1:13 am

eelektrik wrote:
Am I the only one who hates the term Xbox 720? I can't wait for them to announce the new console so people can stop calling it that. It was a bad joke when the Xbox 360 was named that the next console would be called that and somehow it caught on. At least we could call it Durango since its the code name used on the dev kits.

Plus if you think about it, it implies that the Xbox is just going around in circles, which could be taken that its not moving forward or progressing as a brand.

We're talking about the same industry that had the potential to release a system called the Revolution and release it in the sexy black color we saw back in the day. And the Nitro for the DS, Atlantis for the GBA, and of course the Café for the Wii-U. Oh, and who can forget the Ultra 64?

Now perhaps its too many years of Dilbert, but I say marketing be flogged for shooting down those good and unique names.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 12:34 pm

So, far 3DS is more appealing than the Vita, but I wouldn't buy either of them yet.

Xbox 360 is the best console of it's gen, and sadly it's library is not diverse enough. Wii and PS3, major disappointments.

Can't comment on PS4 or Xbox 720, but the Wii U looks like it's making an effort to redeem itself.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

03 Apr 2013, 12:57 pm

I'm not really the biased type when it comes to consoles.

I wouldn't get a 3DS or a Vita right now, purely because both of their libraries aren't diverse enough yet. The WiiU is backward compatible with Wii games, so I might get a lot of use out that from the 30+ Wii games my family owns. I have the PS3 and Xbox 360 to myself, so I usually get all the games for it and update their hardware, yadda yadda... They're both great consoles to me, but the lack of unique titles besides Halo for the Xbox is rather disappointing. The PS3 is more like my personal Blu-Ray player at the moment, and I definitely use it more often because the premium subscription is comparably better to Xbox Gold (c'mon, free game downloads and early beta access... :)).

An Xbox 720 for me might be kind of fun for me, since there's going to be a bunch of bells and whistles coming with it that I could play with for a while. :lol:

PS4... I would wait on that. PlayStation has had a reputation of buggy consoles and bad launch games, so I'd wait a while for the library to broaden and for the issues to sort themselves out.

younginflavor18
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Apr 2013, 1:14 am

Although I see the Wii has sold around 99.38 million units, I think the PlayStation 3 is my favorite console hands down when it comes to HD remasters of classic games, PS1 classics, and some of the exclusive games it has to offer such as Uncharted, Killzone, and the Ratchet and Clank series.

Almost every console is great with their unique features that appeals to every gamer, and it has their pros and cons.

Sylant
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Apr 2013, 8:37 am

I have a 3DS, but I can't seem to play it for more than half an hour or so before my eyes begin to hurt. Might just be me, but I always play it with the 3D turned off, which basically makes it a DS I suppose.

I've also got an Xbox 360, but it's largely being used as a DVD player lately. It's a great device though, and i'd recommend it over the PS3 simply because it has a better game library and the controller feels a little more comfortable in my opinion.

As for the next generation consoles, my advice would be to wait a few months after release. They will be considerably cheaper, it gives them time to get rid of the inevitable issues and you can assess which one is more to your liking.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 9:35 pm

Even with the 3D off on a 3DS, the hardware is still more powerful than the DS was. Even if they just called it the DS2 and didn't add 3D it would have been a worthy upgrade over the DS, the 3D is just a bonus for those that like it. It does work well for some games though, others not so much. Super Mario 3D Land is actually a really good example of 3D that works well and platformers are a good genre to use it in.

Right now my PS3 is mainly being used as a blu-ray player. I do agree that the 360 has a more comfortable controller than the PS3. Never been a huge fan of Sony controller designs, its the handles, they are too small, short, and stumpy.

Kyiro
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2013, 1:24 pm

I have a 3DS and the three consoles of this generation. As for the next, I'm probably going with the Wii U. However, I'm mainly waiting for the OUYA.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2013, 4:23 pm

I have no interest in the Ouya. I really do not expect it to elevate Android games beyond the current microtransaction shovelware crap designed for people that have disposable income and have never played a good game before. PC is where you get the good indie games and the ones that trickle down to the android/iOS markets I already have had for years.

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Apr 2013, 10:34 pm

My favorite is the Nintendo DS
I am a little bit sad that I have to buy 3DS for the newer games.

Oh well, maybe it takes time to adjust.
Back then when I was playing GBA, I was finding DS weird.

eelektrik wrote:

Em... sorry... but I pretty much hate everything Xbox

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 7:04 am

3DS - i could see myself owning this at some point.
Vita - i'll stick with psp. i wont pay more money for a smaller game library.
PS3 - is kind of unnecessary if you already have a 360.
Wii - was a disappointment, but i still don't regret buying it
Wii U - seems like a good system, just waiting on the games
Xbox 360 - well worth owning
Xbox 720 - likely some day down the road. will have to see.

DamienScott
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 May 2013, 4:01 am

I don't own and most likely won't own any of them since none of them really have enough games that I feel are worth buying. I just recently build a new gaming PC and the majority of the games I enjoy playing also have superior PC ports. I mostly stick to old school games when all else fails, as the quality of gaming has been on a decline since the PS1 era.

How do you save the world when the world doesn't want to be saved?

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

09 May 2013, 8:34 pm

3DS : I might buy one for the next pokémon games and dragon quest, but other systems/games have preference
Vita : Own one, love it, could use more games
PS3 : Best choice for gamers this generation
PS4 : System by gamers for gamers and for game developers. Probably going to dominate next gen
Wii : Worst choice for core gamers, best choice for young families and casual gamers. It had some great core games but motion controls made the games worse far more often than it made them better.
Wii U : Not going to nearly as popular as the Wii. Nintendo tried re-appealing to the casual audiences with the tablet controller, but once they find out you can't use it without the console, they lose interest.
Xbox 360 : Most unnecessary buy this generation if you own multiple platforms. Almost nothing worthwhile if you own a PS3 and PC. But still a good console if you have just one.
Nextbox : If most of the rumors are true, no way I'm going to buy it. Microsoft needs to amaze in order to steal some of the PS4 hype.

WorldsEdge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2013, 8:09 am

3DS, Vita, - Can't see myself buying either of them, ever, honestly. I've got a Samsung tablet, and for whatever gaming on the go I do, it seems sufficient. (Mostly Minecraft Pocket Edition nowadays. I've also heard generally positive things about Survivalcraft, though I've not played it. And for $3.99, why not pick it up?) To carry around something else beyond a tablet and phone I'd need a game -- or multiple games -- that all blew me away. And I just don't see that.

Wii, Wii U, Own a Wii, my son owns a Wii-U (don't live with him). Still play MarioKart on the Wii occasionally since I've not beaten all the 150 cc Mirror courses, but at this point it has basically "bricked."

The Wii-U? Sigh. On balance, I can't recommend it. Wanted to love it, TBH. Can't say I hate it, but, yeah, I'm disappointed...briefly...

+ Backwards compatibility to Wii Games seems to work flawlessly
+ The console tablet can be fun, especially for stuff like the "lite" version of Luigi's Mansion in Nintendoland

- Game availability, and the likelihood that this is only going to get worse, not better, see here:

Wii U (Developer) Kits – Gathering Dust & No FrostBite 3 (link)

...and, candidly, I'd say this is borderline to an absolute deal-breaker in my mind... Sucks to say, but that's what I'm thinking, personally. :cry:

- The Controllers - This might just be me, since I know I'm uncoordinated (thanks ASD). Anyway, when I tried to play Lego: City I had nothing but problems with things like driving. To the point where I started to feel kind of sick, as in I was moving the console buttons, expecting to move, but not moving right away. Again, this one might just be me, but it was a problem I had. Big time. FWIW, I also had this problem with the Wii on games like CoD:MWReflex. Games that probably make heavier demands on system resources.

PS3 XBox 360 - At this point? I'd say if you're looking to buy either, buy whichever more of the people you know have. Otherwise I'd call it a toss-up. In my case, I only know one person who owns a PS3, and he's got EVERYTHING. So, I've got an XBox 360, but have never played a PS3. This is probably just an American thing, though. Doubtless in other places the exact opposite is the case.

The graphics are probably better on the PS3, but not that much better
XBLA Gold is probably better than Sony's on-line play, but not that much better, plus XBLA Gold isn't free (I don't have an XBLA Gold account)
The PS3 seems to have slightly lower price point these days, but not tremendously lower
Stay away from the 4GB XBox...My phone probably has more storage, and I can't believe they still sell it that way, but they do. Though I put an external HD on my son's XBox and it seems to work fine, so I guess if you get a deal on a 4 GB model be sure to grab an external HD too

Note: Kinect is just silly, and unless you have a HUGE space to play in a pain to even try to use (as I found out with Kinect Star Wars...most of the fun here was having my son's dog getting picked up as a player by the sensor while I seemed to spend a lot of time crashing into furniture) So if you do decide to go XBox, I'd say buy one without it, and then get one later on if you decide it is something you want. Having a big, nearly empty room to set the thing up in is a big plus as well

PS4, Xbox 720 - I'm thinking too soon to say...but the "buzz" on the Nextbox is so uniformly negative I'd never pre-order one. Plus, the price. Both are rumored to be coming out at somewhere in the $600 range, which is insane. At that price I'd start looking for a PC for gaming, honestly.

"The man who has fed the chicken every day throughout its life at last wrings its neck instead, showing that more refined views as to the uniformity of nature would have been useful to the chicken." ? Bertrand Russell