Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

20 Jul 2013, 9:15 pm

What does everyone think of it? All I can say is: It's more like the X-Box "WON'T"!

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 10:02 pm

I don't get why everyone ragging on it. They fixed the online thing as everyone wanted, and still everyone is saying that it will suck.

Microsoft is creating multimedia system and being much more open about it than what Sony was. My only guess is that people don't want to feel stupid for changing how they felt about it, they are being stubborn.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 12:38 am

My thoughts are simple: Sure, they changed their stance on it. But understand, they only did this because EVERYONE EVERYWHERE who might have had even a vague interest in the thing freaked the funky hell out and shrieked at them over and over and over and over. They switched their stance for one reason, and one reason ONLY: Because they had NO CHOICE. If they hadnt done so, the thing would have become an incredibly massive amount of wasted funds for little to no profit. They would have lost links to developers and publishers as well, who would from then on see them as "risky".

But even moreso.... the fact that these guys were willing to go forward with such a nasty, braindead idea (and not only that, but they also PUSHED the hell outta it) just shows exactly how they do business and what kind of ethics they have. They backstepped, sure... but I wouldnt trust them any further than I could throw Jupiter.

However, I personally wouldnt have bought the thing regardless of how they'd handled it; I'll stick to PC from this point on, thanks. None of the new consoles have any appeal to me whatsoever. But I still follow these developments and such.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 1:59 am

I don't recall MS ever reversing their stance on drm. They just grudgingly reversed the use of it with the xb1, and they did it due to lack of pre-orders, not due to fan outcry. Also, I never once felt like they were genuinely sorry about it. As it stands, I have a ps4 pre-ordered, but I don't want the xb1 in my house. The ps4 has better hardware, is $100 cheaper, and I've always preferred Sony's variety of exclusives to MS's fps, fps and fps.

MS may have fixed the problem of drm, but they still haven't fixed the kinect problem. I've never been a fan of motion control, and I've always felt it should be optional. Ninty eventually managed to win back my trust after releasing a system where regular controllers were an "optional accessory", but now MS is continuing that trend. I don't like the idea of a camera being always on, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it a spy device. However, there's the much larger problem of the system requiring kinect to even work, let alone having 3G of its already weaker ram dedicated only to kinect, leaving only 5G for games, which I've always felt should be the focus of a game console.

One thing I liked about the 360 was its greater indie dev support, but it looks like MS is turning its back on indie devs, while Sony is embracing them, so the ps4 sounds like it will be the new console for indie games. I'm considering seeing if I can get some indie games running on my old netbook, but that is the last windows pc I will own until I find a reason to like MS again. As it stands, I've since switched to an IPad for my primary pc, and I will never own an xbox. I wish ms would just withdraw from the console market. I've always felt things were a lot simpler when Sony and Ninty were the only major console manufacturers, and it's still that simple in the market for dedicated handhelds.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 2:54 am

You guys realize that a major component of the Kinect is not only action recognition, but also voice recognition, it can allow various enhancements of gameplay that even the PC can not do. You are looking at MS trying to have features put into their consoles that will be ready for the next generation.

Most of the negative opinions seemed based on the fact they tried it in the first place, or that they even listened to criticism. Ridiculous!

And how is the XBOX's price much different from what the PS3 did?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 7:29 am

Bradleigh wrote:
You guys realize that a major component of the Kinect is not only action recognition, but also voice recognition, it can allow various enhancements of gameplay that even the PC can not do. You are looking at MS trying to have features put into their consoles that will be ready for the next generation.

I have no issue with them making Kinect part of the new platform, but if I was project lead, I'd make it so it would operate WITHOUT Kinect connected, and the OS would flag you if you tried to activate a feature that needed the Kinect attached and operating. I'm sensitive to privacy concerns. I'm sensitive to the FACT that a whole lot of people DO NOT have broadband service in their area. I'd make the product sensitive to these issues. It's not hard...it's all software settings in the OS.

That MS ignores these issues bothers me.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

21 Jul 2013, 10:54 am

Even if Microsoft had done everything right, the price is pretty easy to point out. $100 is a decent hunk of cash that could be spent on more useful things, like buying actual games.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 11:46 am

My concern is that its existence might mean XBL will no longer work for Xbox 360 consoles..... because that's what happened to the original Xbox, when the Xbox 360 became established.

younginflavor18
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2013, 7:15 pm

Some sources tell me that there are people who are signing a petition to bring back the original policies of the Xbox One in which it was a bad idea in the first place. I'm gonna hold off on buying that new console until I change my mind about it. At least I can commend them for reversing their original policies and becoming somewhat more considerate towards their customers.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 10:31 pm

Bradleigh wrote:

Most of the negative opinions seemed based on the fact they tried it in the first place, or that they even listened to criticism. Ridiculous!

Actually, a PC can indeed do those things.... probably with a higher potential. It's all up to the software developers to code such a thing.... simple as that. You merely need the proper equipment to then RUN it, AKA, a microphone and a camera. Which many PC users... particularly gamers.... already have, and are often already used to using in tandem. The idea that a PC is incapable of handling such a thing is, frankly, absurd. Though it would depend on the power level of the PC in question for the more advanced uses, but.... heavy PC gamers tend to have full-featured and very powerful gaming rigs, so for them it wouldnt be a problem. Voice-recognition in particular I've already seen in many places, such as software that allows you to simply DICTATE instead of typing at all, useful for writing up long documents without having to endlessly tap the keys (that particular software though is very advanced and somewhat expensive). And that's just the start.

Hell, if I remember correctly, there have already been uses of the Kinect itself on the PC, done by those with the knowledge and skill to do such a thing.

Really though, the Kinect bit itself is not a bad thing.... or, I should say, the DEVICE itself is not a bad thing. Nothing wrong with that. What people dont like is the bit where parts of it are OUTSIDE of their direct control. The "cant turn it off" bit will be.... frustrating, to many users. Not to mention the lack of real logic there in that particular design idea... why even have such a thing? It's not like EVERY game made for the console will absolutely always use the Kinect, and anyone that DOESNT want it doing stuff merely has to turn it away, or put something over it, unless they do something REALLY stupid and make it so the whole thing wont function unless it's pointing at you. But the lack of control is really the main point as that particular complaint goes.

As for the bit about people being angry that they tried all that negative stuff (not just the Kinect thing) in the first place.... that IS a very valid complaint. That MS was willing to go through with it, or even that they actually thought it was a good and viable idea, shows one of two things: 1. They have really bad business ethics, or 2. They're dumber than a sack of hammers, and have NO freaking clue what their fanbase wants or likes. I *strongly* suspect it's both at once. You have to be deeply stupid to think that such a thing would fly with the consumer base, and you have to be kinda nasty to go through with stuffing all those restrictions on it in the first place. They backpedaled on it, sure.... but that doesnt stop the stupidnasty from still being there. They are, as of right now, not deserving of the trust of many of their consumers. They pulled this sort of crap once... sooner or later, they're bound to try something just as bad again. Cant trust 'em.

The console is likely to sell decently enough regardless... gamers often WILL go to the device that has the games they really want, even if they dislike the thing... but it COULD have been more than it is, had they gone in a different and better direction with it.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 2:51 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Voice controlling exists since some years for PC, it simply not very public, because there are not many fans of it. I doubt that X-Box will change that, because most people wanna play to relax, and not babble with a computer. And the first programms for the Kinect-socket, for PC were created some days after release. You wouldnt believe whats actual existing, as example motorized skateboards you control with your hand via the kinect motions sensor. Dont think that you will find that for X-Box. ^^

Quote:
Yes, they behave now, because of being forced. That doesnt mean, they are not really nice. They simply are forced by public oppinion to behave that way. I am not interested in supporting people, that wanted to trick and cheat one me, even when they redid that, because of being forced to.

Quote:
I dont care. Why should I care for the price of a product from a company, I dont wanna support, if I dont must?

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 7:21 am

Schneekugel wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
Quote:
I dont care. Why should I care for the price of a product from a company, I dont wanna support, if I dont must?

Its not really about wether you care.

Its about the fact that the ps3 started being sold at $600 and was sold by that price for months, price was then halved due to low sales

XBOXOne was announced at the same price as the ps3 and people started going up in arms about how its an outrageous price.

MS has lowered the price before its release and people are still up in arms about how stupid MS was for putting the $600 when sony did the same thing several ages ago

Darkone101
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jul 2013, 5:06 pm

As long as this system has halo it will sell.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 6:32 pm

I am concerned about getting one because MicroSoft don't look like they know what they're doing.
They made some pleasing changes but how long before they screw something else up? Why are they still requiring Kinect 2 for use of the system? What about the NSA scandal? Why is the system so huge and power hungry when it is considerably less powerful than its more compact rival the PS4? Where are the games? Why is there not one positive face for the division besides Steve Ballmer, and even he hasn't got a clue!?

It's all this doubt that has me worried. I don't want to invest a lot of money on an entertainment machine that leaves me wishing I got the other console. I'm not in the position to buy both yet.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 8:02 pm

spongy wrote:
Schneekugel wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
Quote:

Its not really about wether you care.

Its about the fact that the ps3 started being sold at $600 and was sold by that price for months, price was then halved due to low sales

XBOXOne was announced at the same price as the ps3 and people started going up in arms about how its an outrageous price.

MS has lowered the price before its release and people are still up in arms about how stupid MS was for putting the $600 when sony did the same thing several ages ago

In the US, Xbox One has never been priced at $600. When MS announced the price at E3, they announced it at $499.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 12:28 am

JanuaryMan wrote:
Where are the games?

Oh, they proudly announced at E3 at their international presentation of X-Box before international game-reporters, that they have a huge 400.000.000 Dollar Deal with NFL, and that you will even be able to move some kind of Phantasy Football Teams into the normal teams and so on...

If you wonder, why you havent heard of it, outside the USA noone is interested about that, so using the international presentation of the X-Box one for talking about football is as if they would have talked about a Pologame. (The thing, where you ride on horses and try to play Golf. ^^)