Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 11:21 pm

Awesome game so far ( only played through the first couple hours ). Glad nothing was damaged. Ordered online from Gamestop, and got my $100 collector's edition today....but the UPS guy was apparently a lazy careless piece of shtako as he literally THREW it onto the porch.

So far the only Tales of game I can't seem to enjoy much is Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World ( not a big fan of the monster aspect an it's freaking HARD ).

Any other Tales fans here? What's your favorite game in the series, and do you wish they'd localize Destiny 2, Hearts R & Innocence R? My favorite is Symphonia, followed closely by Vesperia & Xillia ( I have yet to start Abyss, but I have a feeling it will be a favorite )

Troy_Guther
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2013, 12:29 am

I actually just played and finished my first Tales game, Tales of the Abyss on the 3ds. I had never played any of the series before, and bought the game on a whim. I'm sure glad I did. The live combat system is incredibly enjoyable, and the game possesses the best character interactions I've seen in any video game, bar none. Easily one the most enjoyable games I've ever played. Granted, it does have what I consider to be some serious flaws, but they are only a minor nuisance in an otherwise great game.

As for Tales of Xillia, I'm thinking about getting the game, but I do have some concerns. I've heard that, because of the branching stories of the two main characters, it is possible to miss out on much of the narrative. Considering that the characters and the story are the biggest draw for me in this type of game, that could be a serious problem. Have you experienced this at all?

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 1:24 am

I'm still really early on in Xillia ( and Legendia for that matter....haven't started Abyss even though I've had it for a few years now ), but I tend to 1) use walkthroughs/guides for most games like these and 2) talk to everybody & look everywhere so I rarely miss much. You will need to do 2 playthroughs to fully experience everything, though as you start by choosing between Milla & Jude as the main character ( basically beat it once, then do new game + & use the grade shop to play through with the opposite of your 1st playthrough )

Troy_Guther
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2013, 2:14 am

While I did just start my second playthrough of Abyss, I do not think I will be finishing it. I've already sunk about 60 hours into my first playthrough, and that doesn't even include the majority of the sidequests that I inadvertently missed. I really enjoyed the game, but the immense amount of backtracking and overall running around necessary to accomplish sidequests and advance the plot is quite tiresome, and definitely my biggest gripe with the game. The fact that a second playthrough is necessary to see all the content bothers me as well, considering just how long this game is. Items from the grade shop do make things easier, but I'd still rather just watch videos of the extra content on youtube, rather than invest another 50+ hours.

havoc
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Aug 2013, 6:10 pm

newageretrohippie wrote:
Awesome game so far ( only played through the first couple hours ). Glad nothing was damaged. Ordered online from Gamestop, and got my $100 collector's edition today....but the UPS guy was apparently a lazy careless piece of shtako as he literally THREW it onto the porch.

So far the only Tales of game I can't seem to enjoy much is Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World ( not a big fan of the monster aspect an it's freaking HARD ).

Any other Tales fans here? What's your favorite game in the series, and do you wish they'd localize Destiny 2, Hearts R & Innocence R? My favorite is Symphonia, followed closely by Vesperia & Xillia ( I have yet to start Abyss, but I have a feeling it will be a favorite )

Lookup "FedEx Delivery Guy Throws Computer Over Fence" It's not be the first time that this has happened. I've been wanting to try the series for a while but I fear buying games I may not play a lot since I already have lots of games.

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 9:27 pm

[quote="havoc" I've been wanting to try the series for a while but I fear buying games I may not play a lot since I already have lots of games.[/quote]

Try Gamefly. You should be able to rent most of the games in the series. And I sympathize with having lots of games already. My collection is crazy, covering NES, SNES, GB/GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U, Gamecube, N64, Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, Vita and PC...and I'm currently juggling 40-50 games in progress.

havoc
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Aug 2013, 12:47 pm

newageretrohippie wrote:
havoc wrote:
I've been wanting to try the series for a while but I fear buying games I may not play a lot since I already have lots of games.

Try Gamefly. You should be able to rent most of the games in the series. And I sympathize with having lots of games already. My collection is crazy, covering NES, SNES, GB/GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U, Gamecube, N64, Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, Vita and PC...and I'm currently juggling 40-50 games in progress.

I originally had a NES but I gave it away, I had a SNES as well but it got stolen and I've been forced to use an emulator since, and had a PS1 but it broke when my dog peed on it (my fault for leaving it on the ground). I currently have a N64, Virtual Boy, Game Boy, several Game Boy Colors, PS2, PS3, Game Boy Advanced SP, Nintendo DS (original), Vita, Gamecube, Wii. Main games I'm focused on right now are Disgaea 4, Eternal Sonata, Mass Effect, and online gaming. I have also been trying new demos when I get the chance.

Last edited by havoc on 11 Aug 2013, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 1:16 pm

:-) I really loved playing both Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Vesperia.
Someday I shall play Tales of Xillia, but I already have plenty of RPGs to be going on with for now.