Game series that should get a reboot

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 4:27 pm

After playing the long overdue Tomb Raider reboot (the first one where Lara Croft actually had a personality), I've come to realize that many game series that have jumped the shark, should get a reboot. I'm not talking about releasing a remake just to milk the franchise (the way it's done with Final Fantasy), but rebooting a series to restore it to it's former glory. Three series immediately spring to my mind:

Quake

The first Quake game released in 1996, revolutionized FPS games. This was the first time you got real, polygonal models as opposed to mere raycasting. A year and a half later, FPS gameplay would be perfected and how you played FPS games would forever be changed with Quake II. You now got large levels, enemies with at least some intelligence and environments that really took advantage of polygonal modelling. Quake III would start the nasty trend that is multiplayer only shooters and Quake IV would fade into obscurity the day it left the charts. An occult and dark reboot would be really nice.

Gothic
Gothic was a fairly original RPG released back in 2001. While it didn't get the recognition it deserved until a few years later, it did eventually gain a fanbase and is considered a classic today. The story was good, and you got a large, free-roaming world with a great atmosphere. Gothic II turned out to be excellent as well (with some flaws, that is), Gothic III was highly flawed, but still enjoyable--and Gothic IV was mediocre and with a story that made no sense whatsoever, pretty much killing the franchise.

Resident Evil
No explanation needed here.

Any series you would like to see get a reboot? :)

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 4:43 pm

Blood. The first one was hilarious.

Blood II was markedly different with its LithTech (or Monolith) engine. It was okay, though.

I can definitely see them bringing Blood back. It'll probably look like Painkiller.

Shadow Warrior. I don't know why this died a miserable death with no follow up. I thought Lo Wang was funny.

Exhumed (Powerslave). I used to love this back in the day. Time for a reboot.

Hexen and Hexen II. Those two were primarily the same. A reboot is in order.

They once made an attempt at a FPS where you had to learn to wield a sword. It was called Die By The Sword. The wielding part was difficult so the game died a miserable death. Otherwise, it was good.

Redneck Rampage. Probably, in today's PC climate, they won't make a new one. Still, the 90's dos version was funny and begs to be rebooted.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 5:25 pm

- Fallout. Its latest incarnation (New Vegas) has lost much of the post-apocalyptic feel. It needs to take lessons from Metro.
- Command & Conquer. But first, it needs to be divorced from the Empire of Aaaargh.
- Dune II. Nuff said. They tried with 2 reboots, but they were both pale imitations of the original game. Perhaps Blizzard should take over, as they aced StarCraft 2. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains. The stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 8:35 pm

Shadowrun.

I know nothing of the role playing game, but that game on Genesis back in the day was one of the very wildest games I ever played. If that general scheme was rebooted Fallout style or something it would be the best game of all times.

For whatever reason it still remains the greatest debate in the history of video games to me, in the first area of the game: "Do I want to save money for the ridiculous XL caliber pistol, or for the innkeeper that will allow me to access the rest of the game?"

The monsterous desert eagle style hand cannon is a very nice thing to have around.

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 9:39 pm

After the awesome ( but extremely awkward to control ) Kid Icarus reboot, I'd lie to see Nintendo bring back ( using traditional controls preferably ):

Ice Climbers ( exploration based treasure hunt style game with full co-op )

StarTropics

Geist ( make it more like how they originally described it... )

Nazo No Murasame Jo

Mother ( as in a remake of the original that would look & play like EarthBound )

also want to see reboots of non-Nintendo games:

Golden Axe ( to make up for Beast Rider )

Godhand

Vectorman

Toe Jam & Earl

Shining Force

MediEvil

Ape Escape

Suikoden

Legaia

Wild Arms

.Hack

Darkstalkers

Rival Schools/Project Justice

SnakeAndRobot1785
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Aug 2013, 10:07 pm

I'm not so sure that a Gothic reboot would be succesful in the slightest (sales-wise at least). Would it be fun? Probably, but it's kind of a small audience for those types of RPGs, sadly.

As someone above me said, StarTropics needs one for sure. Maybe SSB4 will put that in motion.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 1:33 am

Kurgan wrote:
Quake

I don't know about a reboot, but I would love to see a true sequel one day. Quake II was literally a sequel in name only (they couldn't get the rights to name it what they wanted to), III/Live doesn't count, and IV is just a sequel to II.

But with how DOOM 3 turned out, I wouldn't be surprised if a return to Quake did end up being a reboot.

redrobin62 wrote:
Shadow Warrior.

Actually, they are doing a new one right now: http://www.devolverdigital.com/games/vi ... ow-warrior

Which is weird IMO, because out of all of the games they could choose to remake/sequel, you wouldn't think they'd choose that one...

amazon_television wrote:
Shadowrun.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/23465 ... _4__100_13

You're welcome.

I know they added storyline to tie the new game in with the old SNES game, but I don't know if they reached the Kickstarter stretch goal to add Genesis tie-in storyline, also.

And speaking of reboots, here's one I'm looking forward to: http://www.carmageddon.com/reincarnation

transformingcar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 12:22 pm

want to see a revival of Vigilante 8. the 2nd offense was awesome, so was the first. now if only we had a third offense...

also want Twisted Metal to come back, but make it a little more arcade style, like Twisted Metal Head On.

I've always seen V8 as the realistic version of TM
and TM as the freaky arcade version of V8.

SnakeAndRobot1785
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Aug 2013, 5:09 pm

transformingcar wrote:
want to see a revival of Vigilante 8. the 2nd offense was awesome, so was the first. now if only we had a third offense...

also want Twisted Metal to come back, but make it a little more arcade style, like Twisted Metal Head On.

I've always seen V8 as the realistic version of TM
and TM as the freaky arcade version of V8.

I'm pretty sure that the one that came out on the PS3 simply titled "Twisted Metal" was the reboot of the series.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 5:39 pm

Gex the Gecko, no questions asked!!

Then I have done my job