Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 9:05 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdxvU-uXk4g[/youtube]

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 10:59 am

"KSP" stands for Kerbal Space Program. It is a simulation program.

Fun, but limited.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 11:48 am

dont get why they have the surface of venus being purple islands and lilac seas :scratch:

My deviant art profile

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 12:08 pm

Fnord wrote:

Fun, but limited.

Not at all. You can perform many daring space missions. You feel like the head of NASA or Roscosmos. The game can get a little bored but it is really great, and always eager to get back to it.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 12:23 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Fun, but limited.

Not at all. You can perform many daring space missions. You feel like the head of NASA or Roscosmos. The game can get a little bored but it is really great, and always eager to get back to it.

i was considering buying this, but i'm having second thoughts after seeing the ridiculous cushy soft, mario-world esque velveted venus.

I was hoping for rocky, hellish, ochre coloured cracked wastelands with storms, heat that could melt lead and sulphuric acid rain as per the real thing.

My deviant art profile

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 1:04 pm

thomas81 wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Fun, but limited.

i was considering buying this, but i'm having second thoughts after seeing the ridiculous cushy soft, mario-world esque velveted venus.

I was hoping for rocky, hellish, ochre coloured cracked wastelands with storms, heat that could melt lead and sulphuric acid rain as per the real thing.

I can recommend this game, it is very interesting.

I heard that developer thinking that after final release, thinking about creating special addon. That make on of moon of Jool (KSP equivalent to Jupiter) have ocean under ice layer like Jupiter moon Europe :D

I bought this game in August 2012, when it cost $ 18. With each update increases the price. Now It costs $ 27, but you only pay once, then nothing.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 2:29 pm

maybe i'll give it a go, next time i'm feeling a bit flushed.

I like the spacecraft creation system if nothing else.

My deviant art profile

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 2:58 pm

thomas81 wrote:
maybe i'll give it a go, next time i'm feeling a bit flushed.

I like the spacecraft creation system if nothing else.

And what do you think about my video? I used my favorite song Hallelujah, i heard it in Shrek and just love it :D
I thought that this song fits perfectly into interplanetary missions

Anxiety
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jan 2014, 9:11 am

I cant even land on the "Mun"-The moon
Isint Duna supposed too be easier since there is air thus giving you the option of parachuting instead of trying too stop your landing craft from slamming into the surface?

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 2:31 pm

i purchased this today.

Not having much success, not that i don't understand the physics but because the User interface is horribly counterintuitive and user unfriendly. Nothing seems to work the way it should if it was well designed. Even the game window won't fit on my desktop correctly and there is no option to maximise which is horribly frustrating.

My deviant art profile

Last edited by thomas81 on 01 Jan 2014, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 2:32 pm

Anxiety wrote:
Isint Duna supposed too be easier since there is air thus giving you the option of parachuting instead of trying too stop your landing craft from slamming into the surface?

er, landing on other planets is way harder because you have to factor in the fact that it has a seperate orbit around the sun.

My deviant art profile

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 7:44 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Anxiety wrote:

er, landing on other planets is way harder because you have to factor in the fact that it has a seperate orbit around the sun.

This can help you http://alexmoon.github.io/ksp/

But first you should register on this forum http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/ it's official KSP forum

This is mod you absolute must to have

MechJeb http://kerbalspaceport.com/mechjeb/
Kerbal Alarm clock http://kerbalspaceport.com/kerbal-alarm-clock-2/

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 7:16 pm

Quote:
Not having much success, not that i don't understand the physics but because the User interface is horribly counterintuitive and user unfriendly. Nothing seems to work the way it should if it was well designed. Even the game window won't fit on my desktop correctly and there is no option to maximise which is horribly frustrating.

Ah you may not be aware of it but there is a fullscreen button in the settings menu you need to switch on for the window to stick. By default its off which is annoying when you first start up. The UI is odd when you first encounter it but it does have all the information you need.

The initial learning curve is overwhelming at first. Pawelk's linked to Mechjeb which is a brilliant tool. But I'd get used to the design system and getting into a stable orbit first before you make use of it all the time.

I'm playing the career mode so my rockets will be relatively basic to what you can build in sandbox. But I'll just show them as an example (BTW You don't have to add parachutes to the rocket boosters that's just a preference of mine as I don't like the idea of letting solid fuel boosters free fall on the space centre)

This rocket will do sub-orbital flights quite easily get you used to piloting them in the atmosphere

This one has a science instrument on it that you can ignore. But this will get into stable orbit easily with some fuel to spare (with a bit of modification you can get it to do a fly by around the mun and back)

Key thing to remember

1. Most of your fuel is spent getting the thing into orbit. Don't pack a lot of stuff on top unless you have a lot of explosive power underneath to take you all the way.

To get into orbit (This isn't a perfect way but it gets you used to the actions you will eventually do without thinking about it.)

1. First thing press T to turn on SAS (This is a control system to help stabilise your rocket) Launch go straight up. At 12,000 you will enter into the higher atmosphere. The air resistance will lessen so you will start to accelerate a lot faster if you've made it this far with plenty of fuel to spare your doing good

2. Around 20,000 press T to turn off SAS start to tilt the rocket to the right (or towards the direction of 90 degrees on the navball) tilt about 45 degree's give or take then switch on SAS again. This mean's you start to change the trajectory of the craft so your actually beginning to curve around the planet (If you run out of fuel shortly afterwards stage doing a sub-orbital hop before plummeting back down to the surface)

You do this for several reasons
A) It's more fuel efficient
B) You will build up more speed (you need to be getting to 2200 m/s)
C) You begin to curve the craft around the planet (If you press M to go into map mode you will see a blue line that shows your estimated flight path it also has a really handy navigation tool you should learn to use ASAP)

Otherwise if you keep going straight up you will either send the rocket flying out into space only to come crashing back to the surface or you will send the craft out of the planets sphere of influence and into a solar orbit (Or a one way ticket out into the interstellar medium)

3. Make use of the map (M key) Look where your apoapsis is (marked AP on the blue line) Basically you want that to be over 120,000 (I usually go for 150,000) when it gets above that number bring the engines to a halt. Then click on the blue line where AP is and you will get a set of tools appear on the map to set a navigation node. This is an awesome tool to use when your new to this game for plotting where you want to go.

More info on the tool here

4. Click on the AP mark and the tools are like elastic bands to set a node. Ignore the blue and purple ones for now you want to click on the green symbol which has an empty circle (not an X in it) you then stretch it out like an elastic band and this will start to calculate your trajectory if you keep doing this you will eventually see a symbol called Pe appear. This is the periapsis of the orbital path you are plotting. You want this to be above 120,000 as well or gravity and the atmosphere will drag you back to the surface.

Ideally you want your AP and Pe to be roughly the same distance for a decent orbit but its not the end of the world if you don't do that.

If you go too far and it breaks the orbit and sends you off into space select the green circle with an X to reverse it.

5. When your happy with it exit the map mode (M) What you've done is plot a course for the ship and you will now have some information on the user interface to help you carry it out.

There should be a timer to the right of the nav called Est.Burn this will tell you how much time you have left till you need to engage the engines again.

There will also be a blue target reticle on your navball (you may have to move around to find it) You need to move the rocket so it so it is facing this target. When the time counts down to zero rev the engines up to full and it will then tell you much speed you need to move the craft into the orbit you've just plotted. Remember to slow down when your nearing the target accerleration If your a couple of m/s off its not a biggie.

6. Ta da! You should now be in a stable orbit around kerbin.

7 (optional) to return to Kerbin you basically turn the ship in the opposite direction of the orbit and burn the engines. This will take you back into the atmosphere.

Hope that helps Thomas

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 7:38 pm

thomas81 wrote:
dont get why they have the surface of venus being purple islands and lilac seas :scratch:

The planets environments are still work in progress. But Eve is not mean't to be a Venus, it's more like Titan with Methane lakes and a dense atmosphere.

Moho is probably the most hostile planet as its basically a planet sized version of Jupiter's moon Io. Planet's aren't really a priority at the moment they are implementing the career mode and multiplayer functions for the next few versions. But eventually Kerbin should have cities and civilization on it and the planets will have more fleshed out biomes and environmental hazards.

Aerodynamics are only partially implemented as well and re-entry into atmosphere even though the graphic effects are there doesn't actually have an effect on your ships at the moment. But give it time there are mods out there if you want to add more danger and things to do

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 7:46 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Anxiety wrote:

The Munn and Mimas (Kerbins moons) are easier to get too then the other planets because you don't need as much energy as you would to escape Kerbins gravity/sphere of influence.

You are correct that the atmosphere makes it easier to land with the parachutes. But that same atmosphere then makes it harder for you to get back. Eve, for example, has a much more dense atmosphere and higher gravity so anything you land there is most likely stuck there. Duna isn't as bad but it still mean's your rocket needs to have the ability to get home afterwards. I've only sent probes so far.

Bare in mind you don't have that atmosphere to act as a brake for you but the gravity is weak on the munn and on mimas it barely has any gravity at all. Landing can be a bit tricky to master. What most people find difficult is trying to get the craft to just drop straight down and not slowing down the momentum from orbit and end up crashing or skidding across the surface haphazardly.

But trust me get the rocket down on the surface go for an EVA and place your flag. It's a great sense of achievement, especially if you get him back to Kerbin as well.

My first successful attempt I actually didn't have enough fuel to get my kerbal guy back into orbit so I had to send a rescue mission and then co-ordinate his rocket to do sub-orbit rendezvous with the rescue ship and then do a short space walk over to it.

Second attempt I got there and back no problems after some improvements on the design.

So it can be done but you gotta master the basics first.