Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 4:36 am

Due to personal circumstances, I kind of missed out on most of the 7th generation (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, etc.) of gaming. Now that these games are older and cheaper, and I have a PS3 and a half-decent PC, what would you recommend playing, and on what platforms? If you're hesitant to list something because you think I may have already played it, assume I haven't played it and list it anyway.

I mainly like FPS and retro/arcade-style games, but I'm up for anything. I also like the occasional RTS or RPG, but try to keep them somewhat on the simple side, as the more complicated ones will make my head spin. :P Singleplayer gameplay takes precedence over multiplayer for me, because I have a poor internet connection, and I typically don't do well against human players in most games anyway. Splitscreen or couch co-op is cool though.

Thanks. :D

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 9:27 am

Hmm, as retro/arcade style games, do you have examples of the sorts your looking for? Either retro or arcade can be divided into about a billionty genres within themselves, after all... Are you looking for ACTUAL retro/arcade games, or new games designed to be like those, or maybe UPDATES of old ones?

RTS, you wont find on the consoles. That genre is half dead right now on the PC as it is; it's pretty much nonexistent everywhere else. Hell, even Starcraft has began a slow fall, according to a huge number of players. Apparently, it's hideously imbalanced in... some way or other. And people are being drawn away from it to Hearthstone and Diablo, as Blizzard's own games go... Though even if the genre was huge on PC, it'd still be nonexistent everywhere else; that genre is nigh-unplayable without a mouse.

RPGs, yeah, there's plenty of those. I dont care for the genre too much myself, but one thing I do know is there's about a billionty JRPGs on those consoles. I know the PS3 in particular sure has alot. I dont mean just Square, either. You might look into the Atelier series; give Atelier Rorona a go, maybe. While I dont like JRPGs usually, there are exceptions that avoid the usual pitfalls I dont like, and that one is one of those, so I can actually know enough about it to suggest it. But yeah, there's just a ton overall. There arent nearly as many RPGs of the type that dont get the "J" in front of "RPG". PC is the place to go for those.

I have nothing as far as FPS goes; others can provide recommendations there.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 4:52 pm

Misery wrote:
Hmm, as retro/arcade style games, do you have examples of the sorts your looking for? Either retro or arcade can be divided into about a billionty genres within themselves, after all... Are you looking for ACTUAL retro/arcade games, or new games designed to be like those, or maybe UPDATES of old ones?

RTS, you wont find on the consoles. That genre is half dead right now on the PC as it is; it's pretty much nonexistent everywhere else. Hell, even Starcraft has began a slow fall, according to a huge number of players. Apparently, it's hideously imbalanced in... some way or other. And people are being drawn away from it to Hearthstone and Diablo, as Blizzard's own games go... Though even if the genre was huge on PC, it'd still be nonexistent everywhere else; that genre is nigh-unplayable without a mouse.

RPGs, yeah, there's plenty of those. I dont care for the genre too much myself, but one thing I do know is there's about a billionty JRPGs on those consoles. I know the PS3 in particular sure has alot. I dont mean just Square, either. You might look into the Atelier series; give Atelier Rorona a go, maybe. While I dont like JRPGs usually, there are exceptions that avoid the usual pitfalls I dont like, and that one is one of those, so I can actually know enough about it to suggest it. But yeah, there's just a ton overall. There arent nearly as many RPGs of the type that dont get the "J" in front of "RPG". PC is the place to go for those.

I have nothing as far as FPS goes; others can provide recommendations there.

I was thinking newer games designed to be retro-style, as well as updates of older games. As far as ACTUAL retro games, I'm already pretty well versed on those. ;)

Even though I would like to find more console games, I did mention that I upgraded the video card in my PC, so I should be able to play more games from the 2006-2012ish time frame.

As for RPGs, I have a slight preference for JRPGs, but I also really like WRPGs of the hack 'n slash variety, like Diablo.

I know you're not the biggest fan of modern FPS games, and while I do prefer older shooters like DooM and Unreal Tournament, I won't deny that I've played and enjoyed some games in the Halo and Call of Duty series. I hated Halo when I was younger, but I eventually learned to appreciate some of its differences.

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 7:25 pm

PS3 recommendations? Let's see....

Tales of Graces F
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Xillia 2
Tales of Zestiria ( coming 2015, any Tales game is good )
Tales of Symphonia HD Chronicles
Final Fantasy X & X-2 HD Remaster
Kingdom Hearts 1.5
Kingdom Hearts 2.5
Rainbow Moon
Disgaea 3
Disgaea 4
Disgaea D2
Ni No Kuni
Katamari Forever
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+
Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition ( though if your PC can handle it that version might be better )
Deathspank trilogy
Retro City Rampage
Sound Shapes
Ratchet & Clank HD Collection
Okami HD

Also, I highly recommend a Playstation Plus subscription. Lots of free games every month, and you can even get PS4 & Vita games so you'll already have a library built up if/when you get those systems.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 7:57 pm

Xbox 360, I liked these fps-type games:
Metro 2033, Alien: Isolation, Operation Flashpoint: Red River. Also, one should not overlook the Fallout games.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 7:59 pm

I'd recommend getting the Bioshock games, as they are the best FPS games ever in my opinion (Infinite is one of my favorite games of all time). The Borderlands games are also great, especially 2. If you have a decent computer I'd recommend getting them on that if you can (the PS3 versions suffice as well, though they're all capped at 30 FPS I believe instead of running at 60 on PC, which is playable still)

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 3:24 pm

borderland series was my favourite from last generation, with borderlands 2 being above and beyond the rest of the series. Destiny is also available for the 7th gen consoles, but it requires online play (coop and doing it solo are options), so getting it on PS3 might be your better option (PS3 online is free)