Games you rave about that everybody hates

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FrankiDelano
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2014, 12:49 pm

as a vice to this thread http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt254251.html

What games do you just absolutely love, but whenever you try to talk about them you suddenly find yourself singled out in the gaming community?

Here are my three big ones:
Tom Clancy's EndWar
Spore
Final Fantasy VIII

I love each of these games, but frequently people complain about there lack of story, characters, or just being a "broken game." Even though these games are not perfect, and they are in no way my favorite video games, I just don't think they deserve the crap people spew about them, especially FFVIII.

ZpykeEboto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Apr 2014, 1:28 pm

FFVIII got a bad rap because of "The Spoony One," a video maker for the website That Guy With The Glasses. He's an especially popular guy, and hated FFVIII and FFX. So, when he gave it several lengthy videos worth of hate, people started spreading that around. It's as if no one has an opinion of their own, and just adopted his, like propaganda.

As for me, I'm having trouble coming up with any games that get me singled out in the elitist gaming community. Maybe games like The Sims, though I never play them anymore. Or Dynasty Warriors.

If not those, then the fact that I play Maplestory every now and then has to single me out. :lol:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 1:45 pm

Before I got The Sims Medieval I watched a video or two made by someone who didn't seem to have a clue how to play it and there were some hateful comments, including some genius who said anyone who plays the game is gay. I still got the game and I think it was pretty good, especially after adding the Pirates and Nobles expansion. I also like Spore, although when I got to the Space stage I could hardly leave my planet to fulfill a quest for more than two seconds without it being attacked by hostile aliens and having to race back to help fight them.

I guess the very fact that I'm female, 40, and now spend most of my time on my tablet playing The Simpsons Tapped Out and The Sims Freeplay makes me a gaming outcast. Well I'm an outcast everywhere else, so...

FrankiDelano
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2014, 9:33 am

ZpykeEboto wrote:
FFVIII got a bad rap because of "The Spoony One," a video maker for the website That Guy With The Glasses. He's an especially popular guy, and hated FFVIII and FFX. So, when he gave it several lengthy videos worth of hate, people started spreading that around. It's as if no one has an opinion of their own, and just adopted his, like propaganda.

As for me, I'm having trouble coming up with any games that get me singled out in the elitist gaming community. Maybe games like The Sims, though I never play them anymore. Or Dynasty Warriors.

If not those, then the fact that I play Maplestory every now and then has to single me out. :lol:

I hate people who review games on YouTube and just generally anywhere on the internet. I mean honestly either get a life and some friends to play with, don't play the video game at all if you think you wont like it, and learn to respect every gamers opinion to each their own. Not everyone will like the same video games just like not everyone will like the same movies, TV shows, or sports teams. I don't see any reason in hating a video game your never going to play again anyways no need to go on the internet on make lengthy, nerdy rant about it.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 9:44 am

Star Wars Jedi Power Battles gets a lot of heat from everybody, but I can't help but play it just for the sake of nostalgia.

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 11:48 am

Geist, Odama, Resident Evil 6

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 1:38 pm

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. It was hated by FPS fans for being buggy and overhyped. Admittedly it does not contain promised features, even some described in the instruction manual, but playing it years after release with zero expectations I found it to be not too bad.

BartonJohanson
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Apr 2014, 7:54 pm

I feel Elder Scrolls Online is going to be one of those types of games :(

Lots of people love to hate on that game.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 9:49 pm

There's so much hate on games played on Facebook or on tablets. I get it haters, I am a loser at life with no real friends, so I have to be a winner at a fake life with fake friends on Facebook or my tablet and sometimes even spend money on it to make it "easier". I should be burned at the stake because I'm a waste of human flesh. :roll:

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 12:25 am

GTA IV.

Because it was immensely overhyped in 2008, people are twice as hard in bashing it.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 2:43 am

I don't exactly "rave" about it, but Battle Arena Toshinden on the PS1 wasn't actually that bad of a fighter, and in many ways it actually set the groundwork for games like Soul Calibur. I mean, the fighting engine is simplistic, and the characters are all exaggerated anime stereotypes, but other than that it's actually an alright game. Looks decent for a 1995 title as well.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 2:57 am

I agree with FFVIII. I found it immensely more satisfying than FFVII, but my perspective is non-nostalgic, so what do I know? I will admit, FFVII is probably one of the best jrpgs for someone who has never picked up a jrpg before, to pick up and play. It even has an optional tutorial on how to play a jrpg. :roll: To my understanding, many people were introduced to jrpgs through that game, so it's no surprise that they wouldn't be so fond of FFVIII, which is a rpg veteran's jrpg, that requires one to know what they're doing. However, I find the junction system to be way deeper than the materia system.

I love FFXII as well. It got an open world right, before companies like Ubisoft got them wrong, it allows for reasonable freedom of customization, and the player has full control over what the party does. It's also a fairly challenging game if you plow through the main path, only stopping to lvl when the enemies get too tough, and use all the characters relatively evenly.

Of course, my tendency to go against the grain is not limited to one series, in the wide sea of games. I guess the entire classic survival horror genre(pre-mindless zombie slaying action-fest) counts. I'm actually a fan of classic tank controls. Any serious classic survival horror buff knows that being able to back away and shoot is a must, and turning your back on the enemy is a bad thing. More modern control schemes have managed to combine fluid movement with the ability to back away, but Mass Effect controls weren't really a thing at the time.

Speaking of Mass Effect, I love the entire series, including Mass Effect 3. I don't understand why everyone complaining about the ending doesn't just download the extended cut, which fixes everything IMHO. To be fair though, I probably still would have left ME3 with positive feelings, had I seen the original endings first, because it would take a lot more than an ending to ruin such an awesome series for me. I'm sure I can think of more games that I like, that others don't, but I'll cut myself off here.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 7:21 am

FrankiDelano wrote:
ZpykeEboto wrote:

I hate people who review games on YouTube and just generally anywhere on the internet. I mean honestly either get a life and some friends to play with, don't play the video game at all if you think you wont like it, and learn to respect every gamers opinion to each their own. Not everyone will like the same video games just like not everyone will like the same movies, TV shows, or sports teams. I don't see any reason in hating a video game your never going to play again anyways no need to go on the internet on make lengthy, nerdy rant about it.

They do it simply because it is entertaining for those that like watching that sorta thing. Some people of course never entirely understand that reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt, and just because one says a game is bad doesnt mean you wont like it, but... Yeah, that's pretty much the reason. For someone with the right interests and sense of humor, it can make for great entertainment.

Though, in his case, his series on that game was detailed to the point of being.... absurdly detailed. He's not someone to say "I dont like this bit over here" without explaining himself, he'll say it and then heavily expand upon it to make absolutely bloody certain that there's no way the audience doesnt at least understand his reasoning in extreme detail.

As for myself, I like his stuff pretty well, though I dont bother with the movie-related crap. I did agree with his Final Fantasy related vids though, his opinions almost exactly match mine. Though my opinions stretch to pretty much the entire genre. I aint a fan of the FF series though. I liked the first one alot, and 4 was okay, and then I just didnt really like much after that, and in recent years I just got tired of the genre entirely.

As for myself, for games I like that others hate, well.... ahhh, let's go with more than half of the games I have. Not always so much that others "hate" them, but at the very least others that I know tend to not have a bloody clue as to what I'm talking about, being that these games are never FPS types on the 360 *eye roll*

But yeah, there's just too many for me to list. Way too many.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 12:06 pm

Minority Report: Everybody Runs. Not as big as Call of Duty or Resident Evil, but it wasn't that great to a lot of people. I enjoyed playing it if for no reason than just to throw in cheat codes and play with ragdoll physics.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 12:42 pm

the zelda cdi games. i thought the cutscenes were funny.

metroid other m

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 11:04 pm

I also rather enjoyed Star Fox Adventures and Star Fox Assault. The former was a decent Zelda clone, while the latter was like StarFox 64 with better graphics and some extra features. The only issues I really had with Assault were that the multiplayer maps were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too large, and the voice acting was laughable. Other than that, it was actually a decent game that retained the classic StarFox gameplay while adding on-foot sequences.