Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 10:07 am

I like play BF3 i would buy Bf4 i had better computer.

Now, due to the enormous amount of learning I have little time to play.

But usually I take a sniper rifle, go on some high place and preys on unwary players :D

I was very often insulted as "f*****g camper" but i don't pay attention to it, i wonder why "Camping" has so bad reputation, while in real life snipers are very important of battlefield, and soldiers respect them.

I if would have good health, i would love to serve in Army in my case Polish Army as Sniper.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 10:23 am

"Camping" generally means players that sit around the enemy team's spawn point and such, constantly killing them as they respawn; very much considered to be bad form, and very close to cheating.

This used to be more of a problem than it is now. Alot of games these days typically have a whole pile of different spawn points per map. Trying to camp in THAT situation will often just get you killed as someone coming from one of the others can just pop you while you're watching it.

At least, that's how the term has been used in the many times I've heard it.

If you're not specifically doing that, you're not camping. And yes, snipers are supposed to be good at causing damage while not moving. They'll call you a camper because they keep dying to you when they're in the specific locations where you have a good shot at. Which means it's not really camping.... it's just them not being very good, or not figuring out where you are. Otherwise they might try to, you know, do something about it.

Aint any real rules against a sniper being a sniper. It's just the spawn-camping that's a bad one.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 10:46 am

Camping annoys me mainly just because it's bad form, and in a lot of the shooters I prefer, it's an easy way to get yourself killed. ;) On games where sniping has more of an emphasis, like TF2, I don't mind it so much, and I actually see it as a valid tactic, though I have a hard time slowing down and suppressing my Quake/Unreal instincts enough to camp.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 4:29 pm

"Camping" is just another word for being smart. Without campers, every game of CS would be the same: Two teams on either side of the bridge in the Aztec level, both teams would throw flash grenades at each other, and it would take forever before anyone bothered to attack.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 9:49 pm

the camping I know of is from cod, where a play sits in a corner the whole game killing people. sniping isn't camping. sitting in a corner with a shotgun is. they lack the ability to kill at ranges so they sit and wait.

sniping on bf games annoys me just cause everyone does it. :roll: its not meant to be standard issue. usually either all my team is snipping or flying around in jets, which means its up to me and one other guy to fight the war. the enemy team realizes this and roams around in tanks taking the points. I also dislike the snipers that will sit really far in one spot and get one kill in 2 hours.

I also dislike when the whole other team is snipers, so annoying or when they snipe us as we try to leave our spawn or those who get into glitiches and snipe.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 3:00 am

Sniper is a part of an team. You agree with your team to achieve base B, so you go with them to base B, get yourself a good place to watch base B, warn your team members marching forward of incoming vehicles and enemy players, care to guard your team members from enemies, and in case that your team gets wiped out, you can be used as respawn-safe point to reach base B again in a rather short time.

Campers are the ones, not involving themselves into what goals your team want to acchieve next, and shooting on unrelevant enemies, while their teams try to acchieve relevant goals and camps for winning the game, while being 25% handicapped for the idiot being 8 km somewhere else shooting at actually unrelevant enemies.

To take the example of the threadstarter, with the polish army. An army is an team, and if you are caring for your team members and orders, as they do, then you are a sniper. While if your army team members would be in a brawl with enemies, asking you for backup and you´d answer them "Oh sorry guys, but I am actually 5 km somewhere else and shooting at some enemy guys eating lunch, because I know that in this spot there are always many unaware enemies eating lunch," then you are an idiotic camper. ^^

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 2:38 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Camping annoys me mainly just because it's bad form, and in a lot of the shooters I prefer, it's an easy way to get yourself killed. ;) On games where sniping has more of an emphasis, like TF2, I don't mind it so much, and I actually see it as a valid tactic, though I have a hard time slowing down and suppressing my Quake/Unreal instincts enough to camp.

Spawn camping as a sniper in TF2 I don't mind, mostly because on most maps a sniper would have to get quite close to the spawn to have a clear line of sight to it.

But spawn camping as certain other classes / tactics is cheap - Heavies, soldiers, placing a sentry at the spawn, or demos putting stickies on the door etc.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 3:32 pm

The way I've heard it camping is a subjective term. Everyone would agree that the person sitting in the corner with a shotgun and never leaving the same room is camping.

The subjective part is how much movement you have to do to not be camping. It doesn't even come down to whether you are playing the objective or not because you could be camping at the flag and still playing the adjective.

When I used to play cod I moved around a lot but my style of play was still very campy in spite of the fact that I was mobile. I'd pick a general area with several different points to guard and I'd move between them. Or I'd circle around the same fairly large building and weave in and out. It could've been considered camping because I was covering the same general area all the time. Some people would've said it wasn't camping because I was moving a lot. You could also call it position play if each player is doing the same thing to lock down a different area of the map.

I'd say camping is only a problem when it doesn't help your team win. It's also hard to define camping in modern games.

Golubaya_Krov
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jun 2014, 3:47 am

Camping wisely (e.g. supporting the flag carrier, cover a teammate who is unfreezing another mate...) is okay , but camping only for having the highest score or ratio, spawncamping by hiding in a same spot during all the game and ignoring the objectives deserve a kick.
I'm more into old-school shooters (ql) than realistic warfare games, but it has been a long time I don't play back in.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 5:51 am

There is no such thing as camping other than as a cop out by a player who gets killed by a smart or lucky player.

So what if they kill your character two seconds after it spawns. The game apparently was made to allow it. It's in the programming that this can occur. If you don't like how the game functions, you need to play a different game.

If you don't want someone to kill you immediately on respawn, go play counterstrike.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 9:54 am

Yes, its really a sign of smartness, when your team looses the game, because of some supersmart, superlucky as*hole shooting at unrelevant enemies that spawn at bases, instead of supporting their team in achieving objects.

I like to point, that the annoying stuff about campers is not having them in the enemy team, thats the best thing that can happen. The annoying stuff is having them in your team and burdening you.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 7:30 pm

Battlefield and camping is an oxymoron. Call of Duty is where that problem exists.