my Minecraft server needs more players

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 6:44 am

The Minecraft server I play on all day every day (I'm the most active player, right now playing Minecraft all day is my special interest) has had less players on since all the kids went back to school. I'd hate to see the owner shut it down due to inactivity. Anyone want to try it?

It is 1.7 and won't be updating until our plugins update. It doesn't allow griefing or raiding. We are semi vanilla survival and have mcmmo and essentials. There was a map reset a few weeks ago due to corrupted chunks so the map is probably still pretty fresh.

mc.grassblock.net

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 1:29 pm

whats the living situation? I currently play on alliance server but no one plays with me so i could just as well be on single player.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 2:48 pm

sly279 wrote:
whats the living situation? I currently play on alliance server but no one plays with me so i could just as well be on single player.

I think people mostly spread out but there is a little town where multiple players built homes near each other. My real home is far away and hidden because I'm really paranoid but I have a little home there to keep an eye on things and help deter griefers. I'm a mod.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 8:52 pm

what's the point of playing together then?
pc minecraft is so anti social. on console we lived near each other, built big things together, we traveled together, mined together etc. it was so much fun despite the occasional mean person.

pc everyone plays alone, so I don't get why play online. why not just play solo if you just going spread out and play build alone.

its why I hardly play on my current server. I really need to play games with other people if i'm going keep interested.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2014, 7:54 am

No one interested at all? We need new players.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2014, 11:07 am

sly279 wrote:
what's the point of playing together then?
pc minecraft is so anti social. on console we lived near each other, built big things together, we traveled together, mined together etc. it was so much fun despite the occasional mean person.

pc everyone plays alone, so I don't get why play online. why not just play solo if you just going spread out and play build alone.

its why I hardly play on my current server. I really need to play games with other people if i'm going keep interested.

Find different servers.

If anything, it's actually MORE social on PC, for one very simple reason: Way, way, WAY more possibilities exist, as far as what can be done with the game online. Normal "play survival mode with others" servers are only the start, and also the least interesting.

As an example, there is a popular minigame called "Egg Spleef". The idea is simple: You have this three tiered stadium, each tier being a large floating platform made of colored wool. You are warped to the top tier, and given a shovel. This shovel does not dig. Instead, this shovel shoots eggs. When an egg hits a wool block, it destroys it. The idea, then, is to drop your opponents down through each tier... without being dropped yourself... with the goal of dumping everyone else into the void, with you as the last one standing.

And that's just one idea. There are entire servers, BIG ones (as in, thousands of players on at once), and ALOT of these servers, that are full of various minigames of different types and levels. THere's one based around the Hunger Games, for instance (and that one is REALLY popular). There's way, way too many things like this to list, and each one is drastically different.

Or you might get things like faction-based PvP, which often has it's own set of special rules and features to create that much more of a better experience for that type of gameplay.

And so many more ideas.

And *all* of these, without even a single exception, are not possible on the console versions. Cannot be done.

Oh, and none of these servers I"m speaking of are using mods, either. This is doable with the base game on PC. The modded servers then get REALLY interesting....

Though of course, if you want a more "traditional" experience, there's plenty of those too, and plenty of large ones, specifically.

As such, the amount of players online at any given time is really, really extreme. At any time of day, I can easily find stuff going on with thousands of other players.

But to do ANY of this, you have to go look for servers; most of the big ones (and there are *many* of these) have sites to check out online, and such. Searching for them can be a pain in the butt, since there's so many to pick from, and you always wanna research stuff like this before you jump in, just like with many online games. This isnt XBLA, where there's only one main service and everyone connects directly to it. Not an abnormal thing, either. Lots of games use servers that are set up by players, which means that you search them out and find ones you like, instead of the game just handing you one main hub of some sort.

Though, of course, as much fun as servers like that can be... nothing beats playing it with friends, really. If you can get some buddies to join, regardless of mode or game type, that'll always be best. Usually.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2014, 8:06 pm

on the console we had 10 people that would play just about every day. we lived as a community. in the same house and did projects.
we took jobs like cutting trees, gathering clay. we mined in groups and went exploring together.

the pc game is so big so people end up far away. I just don't get why play online if you play so far away you never see another player?

the other nice thing is all ps4s have the same power. where as one guy on my server has built so much that his computer lags a bit, if any of the rest of us try to go there it lags a bunch and can freeze our stuff.

i miss the community. i would have tried living with another player, but its build how i say or get out. so I can't build my favorite type of house :(

I'd love to have a group to play different things with. like the puzzle maps, and skyblock.

other problem is trust that they won't destroy your s**t or take stuff.
on my current servers we use fractions to prevent this. everyone has their own peaceful fraction. if you go 5 days inactive or so you lose it and they jump on your s**t like leaches.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2014, 9:13 pm

sly279 wrote:
on the console we had 10 people that would play just about every day. we lived as a community. in the same house and did projects.
we took jobs like cutting trees, gathering clay. we mined in groups and went exploring together.

the pc game is so big so people end up far away. I just don't get why play online if you play so far away you never see another player?

the other nice thing is all ps4s have the same power. where as one guy on my server has built so much that his computer lags a bit, if any of the rest of us try to go there it lags a bunch and can freeze our stuff.

i miss the community. i would have tried living with another player, but its build how i say or get out. so I can't build my favorite type of house :(

I'd love to have a group to play different things with. like the puzzle maps, and skyblock.

other problem is trust that they won't destroy your s**t or take stuff.
on my current servers we use fractions to prevent this. everyone has their own peaceful fraction. if you go 5 days inactive or so you lose it and they jump on your s**t like leaches.

Again, this is why you look for and research these servers. Because you're right.... just being, TECHNICALLY, on the same server as someone doesnt mean much if they're 20 zillion blocks away from your location at all times. Typically, if that's the case, the server isnt set up or managed right, because the good ones dont have that issue. If you're playing that sort and you're just never running into other players, yeah, it's time to look elsewhere for one that's actually good.

It's the same with things like power. A properly run server isnt set up on a machine that will overload due to too much building. Hell, a machine that DOES overload just because of that is.... a pretty weak machine to start with. Proper servers are built for it, from the ground up. They dont slow down or crash because of that.... any slowdown you might have with those is ENTIRELY on your end (and thus, can be fixed by you).

Same with dealing with untrustworthy players. Typically, these big ones have alot of safeguards built in, to prevent your average troll from making a worthless jackass of themselves. But looking into the community and seeing what things are like will take you alot further than just hoping that the safeguards stop it. If the community is bright and friendly to begin with, you'll have that much less in the way of problems.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2014, 9:34 pm

For me having to live around and play with other players all the time would be a nightmare. I'm not very social.

Why multiplayer and not single player then? I don't know how to use mods so if I played single player I'd have to play vanilla. In multiplayer I build my house far from spawn underground and covered in locked furnaces so no one can find it or get in if they did but I do chat and trade with other players, mostly giving items because I play so much I end up with lots of stuff. I'm a mod now too so when there is a suspected grief I can go investigate it and roll it back.

It's really up to the players to do what they want. Some like to isolate themselves like me, some live close to each other. On my server there is a little town where some players built homes close together.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2014, 10:05 pm

hanyo wrote:
For me having to live around and play with other players all the time would be a nightmare. I'm not very social.

Why multiplayer and not single player then? I don't know how to use mods so if I played single player I'd have to play vanilla. In multiplayer I build my house far from spawn underground and covered in locked furnaces so no one can find it or get in if they did but I do chat and trade with other players, mostly giving items because I play so much I end up with lots of stuff. I'm a mod now too so when there is a suspected grief I can go investigate it and roll it back.

It's really up to the players to do what they want. Some like to isolate themselves like me, some live close to each other. On my server there is a little town where some players built homes close together.

If you want to use mods but dont understand the installation process for individual ones, grab Feed the Beast, and use one of it's modpacks instead. You dont have to know a damn thing with that. It'll handle all of it. You can even easily turn off any mods in a pack that you dont like, super-easy. It's one of the reasons why it's so popular, because ANYONE can use it.

Hell, I dont even bother dealing with mods in the normal way anymore. Even if I'm adding in something that wasnt in the modpack to start with, the FTB launcher makes even THAT super easy. All I gotta do is dump the mod's zip file (dont even need to open it!) somewhere where I'll remember where it is, open FTB, and tell it, hey, this is a mod, use it. Bam, it's done. Takes 3 minutes and all you have to do is know how to download the mod from the internet and save it on your machine (and who DOESNT know how to download things?) Wheras the MANUAL method, after downloading the mod, can take 3 hours of screaming at the screen. Really, really dont want to have to do that again, ever.

I agree with you though, I wouldnt always want to be in piles of people either. For minigame servers or stuff like the Hunger Games types, it makes sense there. But if I'm doing a survival-ish sort of thing? Then frankly, people can stay the heck away much of the time, and I'll build on my own, thanks. I'll still interact and trade if necessary, but I can handle all of my construction and exploring myself, and chances are that due to my paranoid nature, my "house" or base or whatever will end up being a fort that is drowning in traps, most of which would involve lava.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2014, 1:17 am

Misery wrote:

Again, this is why you look for and research these servers. Because you're right.... just being, TECHNICALLY, on the same server as someone doesnt mean much if they're 20 zillion blocks away from your location at all times. Typically, if that's the case, the server isnt set up or managed right, because the good ones dont have that issue. If you're playing that sort and you're just never running into other players, yeah, it's time to look elsewhere for one that's actually good.

It's the same with things like power. A properly run server isnt set up on a machine that will overload due to too much building. Hell, a machine that DOES overload just because of that is.... a pretty weak machine to start with. Proper servers are built for it, from the ground up. They dont slow down or crash because of that.... any slowdown you might have with those is ENTIRELY on your end (and thus, can be fixed by you).

Same with dealing with untrustworthy players. Typically, these big ones have alot of safeguards built in, to prevent your average troll from making a worthless jackass of themselves. But looking into the community and seeing what things are like will take you alot further than just hoping that the safeguards stop it. If the community is bright and friendly to begin with, you'll have that much less in the way of problems.

that's what I said, his tons andtons of buildings causes my computer to lag a lot, and his a bit. I don't have a super uber gaming pc. I have a laptop that is good enough to play most games.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2014, 4:28 am

Did you upgrade to 1.8 yet?

A *huge* part of the problem is just how unfathomably badly optimized the game has been, particularly with chunk loading.... until 1.8.

Even on my machine, which is a super high-end gaming rig that cost a ton of money, Minecraft STILL coughed and choked on itself alot. There's a reason why the max possible view distance was only 12 chunks in earlier versions. With the dramatic performance increase in 1.8, the new limit is now.... 28, I think? Or it might be 32. The game doesnt stutter/lag or whatever for me *at all* now. Not one bit.

Also, check your options as well. There are some options (like the lighting/shadows ones) that can take quite a toll on your machine.

If all else fails, look for the mod named Optifine. It is designed to increase performance (usually by alot), not to mention offering piles of new graphics enhancements for those that want that as well. Optifine is not likely to be ready for 1.8 yet though, but it should be fine for 1.7.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2014, 7:42 am

My server isn't 1.8 yet because of the plugins. We have a fairly expensive hosting package though so it's always up and lag free for most players.

I have optifine. I'm not sure if it helped because I'm normally lag free on my server. I got it because I needed it to use the danger zone texture pack that shows light level and where mobs can spawn.

Shane-o
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Sep 2014, 12:09 pm

I'm interested in joining the server, as long as I can connect to it

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2014, 3:27 pm

Feel free to join. We could use some new players.

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 3:40 pm

i'll join and bring 8 or 9 people maybe

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~