Page 2 of 8 [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,390
Location: Norway

19 Dec 2014, 2:46 am

The only genuine hatred I've seen so far has been directed towards the game and its developers. Interesting.



Misery
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,217

19 Dec 2014, 3:41 am

Humanaut wrote:
The only genuine hatred I've seen so far has been directed towards the game and its developers. Interesting.


Yep. And that's EXACTLY what they want. That's the entire point of the game's existence. It's not so much that it IS hatred... it's that it's basically a generator of negative EVERYTHING. Which just pulls in more and more anger, and thus, more and more attention.

The devs themselves dont need to actually hate anything. Wether they do or not is irrelevant.

That being said, there *is* an extremely high chance that they do have actual hate towards some minority group or other, or something like that... it takes a certain rather nasty mindset to come up with something like this game. Again though, utterly irrelevant. Wether they have that or not, they want to APPEAR that they have it. So that they can run with it, straight to the bank. It's a dirty business practice, as publishing goes. That many groups in the industry are outright refusing to deal with them likely isnt related to JUST the game itself, but also the realization of what kind of people these guys are, and what might happen if they associate with them whatsoever. The guys who made the Unreal engine, for example. They likely caught on to both of these aspects.... the dark and foul nature of the game itself, as well as the probable nature of those that would make such a thing.... and they basically said "NOPE. Nope nope nope. You will take our logo and such out of your trailers, and if you dont, expect legal action", while being more than ready to follow up on such a threat. Because just being associated with them AT ALL could be way more damaging than most people might think, and it's real damn stupid to take such a risk. Steam, and Valve, can get away with it for exactly one reason, and ONLY one reason: They're too gigantic to be brought down, or even damaged enough to matter.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 89,351
Location: the island of defective toy santas

19 Dec 2014, 5:22 am

I wonder why nobody has made a world-killing game, when killing virtual people becomes old hat?



Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,390
Location: Norway

19 Dec 2014, 11:14 pm

A world-killing game you say. Planetary Annihilation. Currently 66% off on steam.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 89,351
Location: the island of defective toy santas

19 Dec 2014, 11:28 pm

Humanaut wrote:
A world-killing game you say. Planetary Annihilation. Currently 66% off on steam.

reminds me of a quote from lily tomlin- "I'd be a cynic, but I just can't keep up." :o



Misery
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,217

20 Dec 2014, 12:13 am

Humanaut wrote:
A world-killing game you say. Planetary Annihilation. Currently 66% off on steam.


Not even close to being the same.

The "worlds" are very small planets with no inhabitants. The game doesnt even have proper soldiers in it's wars... like SupCom, they're all manufactured robots. AKA, it's a war game that manages to not involve killing.



Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,390
Location: Norway

20 Dec 2014, 1:39 pm

Misery wrote:
The "worlds" are very small planets with no inhabitants.

Outrageous.



Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2014
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 482
Location: Lost in my thoughts.

21 Dec 2014, 4:04 am

It's a game. Doesn't look or sound very fun to me, and in any case I stopped getting new consoles after the 6th generation, so I won't be playing it.

Obviously it's better to do that stuff in a game than in real life, so it could be a positive because of that...but more likely the developers aren't that smart and are just banking on the inevitable controversy to sell the game.


_________________
RAADS-R SCORE: 163.0

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...


x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,421
Location: Spokane, Washington

25 Dec 2014, 2:19 pm

If the reviews are good I might give this game a try.

You guys who are angry should check out the shadow aspect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_%28psychology%29

Perhaps you unconsciously want to murder innocents which is why you are disgusted so much with this game.


_________________
theamazingjunkie.flavors.me


Misery
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,217

26 Dec 2014, 1:33 am

x_amount_of_words wrote:
If the reviews are good I might give this game a try.

You guys who are angry should check out the shadow aspect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_%28psychology%29

Perhaps you unconsciously want to murder innocents which is why you are disgusted so much with this game.


Oh pah. I cant put much stock in that one.

I know full well that I have a ton of dark aspects to my personality. As I often say, I dont call myself "Misery" for nothing.

Yet even despite that... the idea of killing anyone, anything, creates instant revulsion in me. It's the sort of thing that feels instinctive to me. It's there, it's always there, and even if for some reason I wanted to ignore that, I cant. Ever.

Heck, I cant even do something like kill a spider I find in the house. I have to pick it up, take it outside, and release it. I simply wont kill it. I never do.

Even if it's the sort of thing that wont go away so easily. Centipedes, for instance. They're very common over at my mom's house. I see them pretty often there. They do get into the house somehow, like various other things. But they're too fast to catch. I'd have to chase them around the room like an idiot. Too much effort. Other people might try to find another method of exterminating them since they cant just swat the things directly. Me? I just leave them be. They can just go on and do... whatever in the heck it is that centipedes do exactly (whatever it is, they sure are enthusiastic about it). That's fine by me, since I simply cant capture them to take them outside.

That all despite my often dark personality and perpetual negativity. This game.... it's just pointless killing to me. There's a line to be drawn somewhere, and while games like GTA come pretty damn close to it... this game just pole-vaults over it. It goes too far, simple as that.



Syd
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 999

26 Dec 2014, 2:36 am

If this is what is considered "entertainment" these days, I wouldn't be surprised if the following already exist:

- game involving raping
- domestic abuse/ wife-beating game
- game where you play as an ISIS terrorist



Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 817

26 Dec 2014, 10:57 pm

They are not neo-nazis, nor are they even necessarily rightwing. And they aren't idiots either.

Nor do you know what the quality of the game will be. These guys aren't amateur and the majority of the developers working on this game have worked on highly rated and awarded games before...

All (most of) you have done is assume the mindsets and abilities of the developers of this game hastily.

You disregard all of the developer's philosophical reasons behind making the game. You ignore all their reasoning and jump at the idea that they are terrible people. You have denied their humanity with hasty judgement.

And you immediately assume, with little prior thought and a shock reaction, that all those people who made it #1 on the steam greenlight must all be idiots and horrible people who are clamoring over "Freedom, 'murica."


_________________
Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x


Misery
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,217

27 Dec 2014, 9:14 am

Protogenoi wrote:
They are not neo-nazis, nor are they even necessarily rightwing. And they aren't idiots either.

Nor do you know what the quality of the game will be. These guys aren't amateur and the majority of the developers working on this game have worked on highly rated and awarded games before...

All (most of) you have done is assume the mindsets and abilities of the developers of this game hastily.

You disregard all of the developer's philosophical reasons behind making the game. You ignore all their reasoning and jump at the idea that they are terrible people. You have denied their humanity with hasty judgement.

And you immediately assume, with little prior thought and a shock reaction, that all those people who made it #1 on the steam greenlight must all be idiots and horrible people who are clamoring over "Freedom, 'murica."


Philosophical? No.

Sorry, but I know WAY too much about sales, publishing, PR and advertising, and related things to believe that for a SECOND.

Have you seen some of the things they've done, to garner attention? One of the things they did was a twitter post (I think it was on Twitter) that went something like this: "Oh yes, the haters are going to come for us with this one. LET THEM COME NOW (hee hee)". Guess what kind of post a normal/successful developer/business/anything DOESNT make? That's a VERY blatant troll-style post. As blatant as can be. And it's put out by a developer/company that has a product to sell. Come now... why do you think that might be? They go and do one of the things that, in most situations, is one of the dumbest damn things you can do, when you have a product to put out. You DONT TAUNT THE CUSTOMER. You dont call them haters. You dont fling names their way. You stay ULTRA POLITE, no matter what, in any conceivable place where people might see/hear even the tiniest bit of what you say, or you lose. Mistakes like that can kill a smaller group like this.

But they've engineered this too carefully. It's now entirely FOCUSED on the trolling, nullifying the usual effect. That's what they're using to sell the game. Consumers arent used to this sort of thing, a sales campaign where the troll tactics ARE the sales campaign, and gamers can be a bit wonky as consumers to begin with, so they're drawn to it like moths to a bug-zapper. In addition, that post doesnt just draw more people, but it pushes away even further the ones that hated the game from the start and are part of the media. Suddenly, those guys have another thing to post about. "Look what these guys did! Again, can you believe them? They're taking this too far!". More publicity.... without spending money to generate some.

This was never about the game to begin with. This was about the SCHEME. These guys, frankly, dont have the talent to put out something REALLY good. The absolutely mindless design shows this.... I dont care what their background is, frankly. Their talent has stagnated. If you were to take the "controversial ZOMG" facade off of this one, you get a crappy clone of Robotron 2084, or a variety of other really generic overhead shooters. A game like that is a small-budget indie game.... and typically sells like one, even if it has high-end graphics (and many indie games do).

Yet, this probably isnt as good as most of those. How do I know this? 1. Video of gameplay. And an extreme familiarity with the genre, or should I say sub-genre that the game falls into, when considered purely from a gameplay point of view, and 2. They're not focusing resources/time into the design... they're focusing on the sales campaign. A troll scheme like what they're doing HAS to be carefully engineered, or it'll blow them out of the water. Time that COULD have gone towards, you know, a good game, instead goes towards that.



Also, the part about people going after it being idiots: Oh, I wont say ALL of them are like that. But a huge number of them are. Why? Because many will be buying it ENTIRELY because of the "controversial ZOMG" aspect. They wont buy it for the gameplay. They wont buy it for the story. They wont buy it for the characters. Quite a few wont even know what in the bloody hell kind of game it is. They'll buy it because "Hee hee! I'm buying something controversial! I'm so edgy!" and frankly, the devs know this. It's a simple bit of psychology.



epiccolton26
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 134
Location: Deimos Anomaly

28 Dec 2014, 12:55 am

Image


Is it just me, or is it that the logo for Hatred has an eerily similar style to the upcoming DooM 4 Logo?? :? Might be my DooM fanboyism kicking in, but it's something I wanted to point out.

On-Topic: The game's been added to Wikipedia's list of controversial video games now. :|

Also, to be honest, I don't know how to react to this controversy. Yes, it's a terrible idea from the doggone start, but I feel as though it's pointless to get angry at a bunch of attention seekers spamming the controversy button.



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,044
Location: Seattle

28 Dec 2014, 2:29 am

Syd wrote:
- game involving raping


Custer's Revenge, an 80's unlicensed NES game.


_________________
Murum Aries Attigit