Page 2 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Neotenous Nordic
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2015, 8:31 am

I'm guilty of the bob-omb wall gimmick...

If you hate that, then I have one level in particular that is going to annoy you a lot.

To my defense, I never made the blockades more than one block thick.

I'm going to fire up my Wii-U later today, write down the codes to my levels and share them here.

It would be interesting to hear some feedback, if you're interested in checking them out.
I'm going to give the levels shared here a try as well.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2015, 9:28 am

Neotenous Nordic wrote:
To my defense, I never made the blockades more than one block thick

that is not a problem then. the stuff we are talking about are those huge walls. like 5 or more blocks thick.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2015, 9:51 am

I would still like to hear some feedback on my levels.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Neotenous Nordic
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2015, 2:28 pm

Here are some of my better levels:

D081-0000-0078-7EE5

C65E-0000-007F-EB07

2F4C-0000-007D-829F

I have released more, you can find them in game.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 4:06 am

AdamAutistic wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
But how did you get 81 stars, have you deleted some courses already?

yes. i developed a really bad habit of uploading stuff, then a day later thinking of something i wanted to change.

now i always wait a full day from the last edit to upload. it seems to be working.
though i recently took down Zeldario to change the part that is now a boot.

but this change was a bit different. some of the more clueless players were having a huge amount of trouble with it, and i try to make my levels to be accessible to everybody.(it used to be that you have to get the buzzy beetle helmet to defend against cannonballs from above)

misery wrote:
I can't imagine why you think your creativity is limited

i guess i think it is because it takes me a long time to think of stuff to make. when i think of "creative" types, they are constantly shooting out new and innovative things.

i always say "well anything i make can't be as bad as all the empty garbage levels that already there." one level in particular that i remember was: max level length, a fireflower at the beginning, a huge empty space, and a single bowser at the end.

Typically though, a GOOD level can take a long time to make. Mine take... many days. Which is always how game design related anything goes for me. If someone's putting out levels too fast, it's a level that probably could have been even better if they'd slowed down in the design process. So, best not to worry too much about not getting things out quickly/rapidly. This includes the process of just coming up with concepts.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 8:26 am

Neotenous Nordic wrote:

D081-0000-0078-7EE5

C65E-0000-007F-EB07

2F4C-0000-007D-829F

they were all excellent. challenging, but not cruel.

i like how you used consistent themes. that is good level design. a lot of levels i encounter in the 100 mario challenge are all over the place.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 9:43 am

Okay my 9th level is FINALLY DONE good grief it took bloody forever.

C8F6-0000-00A9-C3E5

A heavy focus on water this time, but it's not just a water area. This one is difficult, but as always there are plenty of powerups to be found... though you usually have to go to a little bit of extra searching if you want a fire flower as opposed to a mere mushroom. Look around a bit, and you're rewarded.

And I apologize in advance for the final segment. Well, okay, no I dont. If you get that far, advice is to take it very, very, very slowly. Hover in place when you're feeling too closed in by pain and death, and wait for some of it to pass before moving. You'll die here if you try to rush. You know you've reached this area when the music changes. Good luck...

3 1-ups hidden as usual.

League_Girl wrote:

I'll have a go at yours and the others that have been added to the thread tonight, I think (tomorrow if I end up too tired from my stupid appointment) and will comment here about them after I've tried them all.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 10:35 am

League_Girl wrote:

i didn't like them. they were messy and a few them had the stuff i put in my joke tutorial rant.

don't give up though. good levels can take days or weeks to make. put some time and effort in and you will do fine.

my advice would be:
you are not creating levels, you are creating art. presentation is everything.

Neotenous Nordic
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2015, 3:20 pm

AdamAutistic wrote:
Neotenous Nordic wrote:

D081-0000-0078-7EE5

C65E-0000-007F-EB07

2F4C-0000-007D-829F

they were all excellent. challenging, but not cruel.

i like how you used consistent themes. that is good level design. a lot of levels i encounter in the 100 mario challenge are all over the place.

Thank you!

The castle and ghost house levels were partly experiments on how to squeeze more gameplay out of less space by having the player climb up to go collect a P-switch which then must be brought back to unlock the next area. In the ghost house, the P-switch releases the star, which is needed to cross the spikes in the unlocked area. I tried to think creatively like that so that the level is just not a horizontal sprint.

I was afraid I went overboard with the castle level. I did receive some angry comments about it, but one guy liked it so much he left a nice message. So it's doable, but might take a bunch of tries.

My ideal is to make a level that takes trial and error, but also is addictive so that the player wants to just keep trying. The big challenge is balance and keeping interest.

Thank you again for giving my levels a try :D

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 5:35 pm

I still wish Nintendo had added those checkpoints because some levels are so long and when I die at the end or in the middle, I end up going to the next level because I don't want to do the whole thing over again. It is frustrating for the creators as well because they work so hard with their course and then it's disappointing to see that people give up after one enemy or one obstacle or because they got trapped. I discovered that you can see where people have died just by seeing the X's marked on your level before playing it. Sometimes a level is well made but the problem is it's so long and it lacks check points but I will still star them if they were well good and I liked the design. But I really appreciate when some creators adds in lots of mushrooms or other items. That tells me they really want people to finish their level so they add in their items and it could also be due to them wanting to upload their own level and they keep on dying also so they add in those items so they can beat it themselves. The game won't let you upload unless you clear your own course first and I think they do that to be sure your level isn't broken and that it can be beaten. I have tested my son's levels and then told him his was broken because it can't be beaten. He likes to spam his courses.

Also I wish they didn't have limited uploads, I won't even let my son upload another level because he already has one up and I would have to start deleting my own levels before I upload more and there are only two I have up that are my favorite. One of them is a retro of an old Nintendo game. That was one of the things I spent longer on and testing it to see how it plays before uploading it and I even waited for the POW block to be unlocked to complete it. I had a little trouble with the jumps myself to get to the goal post but it adds the challenge to the level. But yet I will sometimes quit a level if I run into a challenge and then I give up like I did with a course on here someone posted, I got stuck on those music blocks and kept falling off so I gave up before time will run out.

I desire to make an expert level which I attempted with one of my first uploads and I noticed that most players just gave up on it. I would too. Then you wonder at the end where the heck do you drop, you are at the end of the screen now. Another part of the challenge and I understand not everyone likes trial and error. I don't always have patience for that either when I am playing a level and in 100 Mario Challenge I just skip it because I don't want to waste all my lives and my purpose is to zip through them to unlock another character for my mystery mushroom.

But after all the misleading arrows on the levels, I am now skeptical about every arrow I see now so I won't always go that way. I always called it a tease creators do and doors that lead me to death or pipes and I saw one level where there was nothing so all you do is run until you get to the end and there is Bowser Junior and when you jump, you hit a invisible block and you find out you have to run all the way back to the beginning to get to the goal post and there is Bowser Jr. chasing after you and if you fall down, you have to run all the way back and you die because of him. I also saw one level that was called The World's Most Boring Level and it was boring because I ended up quitting it, all you do is run across the screen and back and then you make it to the end with a warp pipe to find there is more of that boring crap so I quit in the middle of it. But I do admit some of these levels are hilarious. I try to play every level I see but there are so many of them I have to select that stand out more to me but anyone I follow I will try and play every level they have created, same as for anyone on here.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 8:45 pm

Another thing I wish for is that we can leave a comment without staring any levels so we can hear some feedback like criticism and what they dislike about our course so we know what to improve and what not to put in. But I guess it's Nintendo's way of avoiding hate comments and troll comments and comments like "your levels sucks."

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 9:34 pm

League_Girl wrote:
checkpoints

checkpoints! actually, before the game came out i thought they were to be included. during one of their showcase videos, they were like:

"with or without checkpoints?"
"no checkpoints with this one."

obviously there are no checkpoints. so now i think maybe they were playing it in editor mode (where you can start up anywhere, which is kind of a checkpoint)

i would have really liked checkpoints, but i see a lot of problems with people abusing them in their "troll" levels, or simply a clueless maker not realizing what they are doing (though stuff can be easily fixed with some feedback from players.)
a good way to approach this could have been that a certain amount of medals needed to be earned to unlock them.

League_Girl wrote:
100 Mario Challenge

more of a problem in "expert" mode are the instant death levels. a good trick i have been using is to hold my finger on the touchscreen, before the level even loads, to prompt for a skip.
(the touchscreen hold skip is different than holding select as you need to have an additional tap in the center of the screen)

this will actually give you a heads up on what the level looks like. if you see something that will instantly kill you, it is definitely a skip.
i have found most times in instant death levels, the entire level is "trolled". jump blockers, hidden thwomps, no power-ups, lakitu/hammer bro spam, chance door, instant death doors, pretty much everything i posted about in my joke tutorial rant.

"expert" mode is less about skill, and more about finding levels that are actually doable. a lot of these levels were never intended to be cleared.
i also get very anxious about my lives winding down. i just want to unlock those shrooms!

(at some point, you must suffer in "expert" if you want to unlock them all. there is a limit to how many you can unlock in each "difficulty")

League_Girl wrote:
missleading arrows

i have also become paranoid about what to trust, but sometimes just looking at the level you can tell if the creator was being sincere. another reason why style and cleanliness are important.
that doesn't just go with arrows, it goes with everything. doors, pipes, and even item blocks.

League_Girl wrote:
limited uploads

you can gain more upload space by earning medals. apparently you can get up to a maximum of a 100 level limit, which is almost as many levels your coursebot can hold.
(in the coursebot, i see 32 worlds, 4 levels each, so that is 128 Marios :wink: )

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2015, 10:00 pm

It sucks you have to earn medals to get more limited uploads but I guess they do that to prevent users from uploading levels of crap. I could be uploading a bunch of my son's levels which I know suck or I could be uploading a bunch of troll levels.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2015, 1:29 pm

finally finished and uploaded Mirbyo's Dreamland:Bubbly Clouds and already started work on "Mt. Dedede".

trying to get these levels done and out there as there are new games coming out soon that i want to focus on.

actually, almost done with Mt. Dedede already. in the real game, it was mostly just a "boss rush" anyway. all i needed to do was redraw the bosses from all 4 of the other levels, and then add a "Dedede" boss fight.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2015, 8:57 am

AdamAutistic wrote:
actually, almost done with Mt. Dedede already. in the real game, it was mostly just a "boss rush" anyway. all i needed to do was redraw the bosses from all 4 of the other levels, and then add a "Dedede" boss fight.

and of course since i uploaded it too quick, i thought of something i wanted to change. my before mentioned "bad habit".

so now i am going to wait until at least tomorrow to re-upload it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2015, 1:19 pm

I just uploaded a new level and it's called Heads Up Mario. It's like crazy falling Enemies but I made it better and added more features and I used the SMW theme. I also made sure to add stars and added coins to warn players from traps. I might improve the level again to hint there is a hidden vine in the block.