Do You Think Resident Evil Is BS Now?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 8:34 pm

I grew up loving all the old games. The second game may be outdated as hell now, but back in the good old days, it was like a George Romero zombie movie in video game form. All the games up until the prequel entry were fantastic.

Resident Evil 4 screwed up the story. Granted, the franchise needed to experiment on how to make it better, but Capcom made it go downhill. They pretty much ended up extracting everything that made the fans keep coming back. It was the great ideas that kept me engrossed for a long time.

Chris Redfield looks like a steroids freak and the plot with the Las Plagas parasites has been played to death. Also, every new game or tie-in media raises more questions than answers. It just becomes a total mess.

Also, it was wrong for Konami to cancel Silent Hills. Sure, the Silent Hill games released after 2004 were a mixed bag, but something tells me the once brilliant 'survival horror' genre will soon be no more. The horror games in recent years just aren't really very interesting, in my opinion.

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 9:11 pm

I remember watching my stepdad and brother playing the early games when I was a kid and me being terrified. I would sleep with the light on, I would huddle underneath my blanket for protection, have nightmares, and everything.

I played RE 5 when it came out and was greatly disappointed how unscared I was. I saw it more as an Indiana Jones-esque treasure hunt with zombies. The storyline was so bad, it was amusing.

Quote:
Chris Redfield looks like a steroids freak

Honestly... that was the best part of the game for me. :lol:

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 9:26 pm

I like all Resident Evils up until, and including, 4.
4 was different, but I enjoyed the story, the gameplay and, of course, the merchant.
Got a selection of good things on sale, stranger! :wink:

The games after that... meh.

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 9:34 pm

RE 4 and 5 as well as the first 'Revelations' game do not actually feature any of the trademark zombies. Revelations introduced an aquatic virus. 5 still had the parasites that could control the villagers and make them hostile towards any outsiders, but Wesker found a new virus located in Africa. Then he just spends the game spouting crap nobody cares about. At least Capcom had the balls to kill him off at last.

Wesker sucked in 5. He was previously a rather interesting villain. He just ended up as a complete bafoon. Making out he had a son in part 6 was just dumb as well. There are a lot of horror films, games and comic books that do the same thing. Like they add in a long lost niece or son just for the sake of carrying on the story.

Yeah. Right.

At least Revelations 2 allowed us to finally step into the boots of Barry Burton. But you can tell they want to milk it for every penny regardless.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 9:54 pm

Honestly, when I first saw RE4, I didn't like it.
But then I enjoyed it for what it was, different. But a good game.

RE5 seemed like some streamlined stock game, that was created by people whose main goal it was to make some profit off the franchise.
The ones after that I only quickly looked into, but I didn't like them.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 3:18 am

Earthling wrote:
Got a selection of good things on sale, stranger! :wink:

HYEH HEH HEH, THANK YOU.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 5:25 am

PeterHoping44 wrote:
Also, it was wrong for Konami to cancel Silent Hills. Sure, the Silent Hill games released after 2004 were a mixed bag, but something tells me the once brilliant 'survival horror' genre will soon be no more. The horror games in recent years just aren't really very interesting, in my opinion.

Kinda off topic from Resident Evil but I am happy they cancelled the new Silent Hill, the new Silent Hill games after 3 or 4 is nothing more than the American slasher horror genre. Silent Hill 1-3 captured psychological horror thats commonly seen in Japanese horror culture, I blame the transition to the American themed horror aspect that the newer games are known for on the movie that is beyond bad. Personally Silent Hill died for me after Silent Hill 3, Silent Hill 4 is a good game but undeserving of the title. Originally Silent Hill 4 wasn't going to be a Silent Hill game and honestly I think it would have been better had they stuck with that idea and created a new series.

As for Resident Evil, I am going to have a very very unpopular opinion, Resident Evil is hit or miss with me. I actually don't like 1-3 and I don't know why, they never clicked with me. Resident Evil Remake and Resident Evil Zero on Gamecube are both good but thats the only memorable ones for me, Resident Evil 4 is really the only one I like. Resident Evil 5 is fun in co-op but that is about it, its horrible as a single player experience and Resident Evil 6 is just bad.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 8:17 am

PeterHoping44 wrote:
Resident Evil 4 screwed up the story.

Yeah, I didn't much care for the story in 4, but I thought the gameplay was a lot of fun, whereas the previous games had great story but frustrating gameplay.

I also really liked a lot of the atmosphere. Running through those forests, I could almost feel the chill in the air.

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 12:52 pm

Has anybody here heard about Umbrella Corps? It looks worse than Operation Raccoon City, if such a feat were even possible.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 5:00 pm

^^ "Call of Evil: Resident Warfare 2-Raccoon Ops"

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 11:32 am

Nemesis was like The Terminator in that this was an almost unstoppable enemy which would never let up.

Revelations 2 was rather decent. But I laughed at the Lottie bear and some other scenes with Barry. Hiya, Natalia. Nice to meet ya.

Alex Wesker was...interesting! I suppose. Hmmm.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 1:24 pm

PeterHoping44 wrote:
Has anybody here heard about Umbrella Corps? It looks worse than Operation Raccoon City, if such a feat were even possible.

The worst part about that game is there is no campaign.

I'm currently going through the series in order of events. I'm on the 2nd half of Revelations and all I've got left to go are 5, Revelations 2, and 6.

I heard the original idea for Resident Evil 7 was cancelled. I also heard that the original idea for Resident Evil 4 focused on the children of Sir Spencer, the last surviving founder of Umbrella.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 6:45 pm

RE 4 apparently featured a hook wielding ghost boss in its early development stage, but it was rightfully removed since ghosts have nothing to do with Umbrella or the effects of their viruses.

Leon was still the star and his role was largely the same but yes, certain plot elements were just crazy. Another merchant was supposed to show up in RE 5. Some images of him exist if you hunt around on Google.

The remake in 2002 still remains the single handed most scary game I have ever played. It is sad that the consoles today have the great graphics, but the story or plot is just ridiculous in most of the newer horror media, sans certain ones. It just comes and goes now.

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 9:37 pm

Originally 4 was supposed to have a more supernatural feel to it, but because the game is called Biohazard in Japan it made little sense to put that in the game instead going with the whole parasite plot. Now generally speaking I think the series has gone downhill considerably. 6 was garbage and shows that Capcom really doesn't care too much about the franchise. The only good thing is that it hasn't quite gone the way of Mega Man.

All magic comes with a price! - Rumplestiltskin

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2015, 3:44 am

Last night, I felt compelled to rant about the series in a video. Sorry about all the hissing. My mother's Tablet must be pretty old.

My friend has a HD one with better sound.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2015, 5:09 pm

It depends on who you ask.

I've seen and heard people claim the series was always horrible from the beginning.
I've seen and heard people claim it went downhill with RE2.
Others have said it was RE3.
Others have said it was RE4
Etc...

No one can agree when they started hating it.

But RE6 is the best selling game in the series by far with over 6M+ sales, which is literally more than the first 4 games combined (counting RE0 not RE4).
That is also more than the PS2, GC and Wii versions of RE4 combined.
RE5 and RE4 are tied for the #2 spot.

The games prior to RE4 barely sold 1M+ globally.