Do you hate the constant updating of game systems?

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Jan 2017, 3:54 am

Yes. My girlfriend's xBox 1 updates a lot & it takes over half an hour to update & takes up more space on the hardrive each time it updates. At this rate it will eventually get full because of all the updates.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 6:06 am

I wish more systems handled updates as elegantly as Linux. You don't have to stop what you're doing when you update things on Linux, and much of the time you don't even need to restart your machine unless it's something really major like a kernel update.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 2:38 pm

The recent versions of the Linux kernel are able to hot patch while the system is running, so a restart isn't even needed for a kernel update. The only bad thing about Linux systems is freaking dependency hell. You might update some library, and lo and behold, some application or another library required an older version of that library, and won't work anymore. That's more of a package management issue, but it was enough to make me stop using Arch Linux.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 7:14 pm

The thing I don't like is that it ties the game to the internet and, as soon as the company drops support, the game is no longer playable.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 9:17 pm

EnglishInvader wrote:
The thing I don't like is that it ties the game to the internet and, as soon as the company drops support, the game is no longer playable.

Exactly. I hated when Nintendo shut down WFC. You can no longer trade Gen 4 and 5 Pokemon or play multiplayer Wii games over the internet. Of course, there are third party hacks that re-enable those features, but not many people are willing to soft-mod their consoles or use Action Replay codes to patch their games. On the other hand, all of my Nintendo 64 and GameCube games work exactly as they were designed with no loss of functionality.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 10:12 pm

I have no experience with any of the games mentioned here, but I have experienced many of these kinds of troubles. I have some self-hosted, BungeeCorded Minecraft servers for my grandchildren, and it seems I never get more than a few weeks of smooth sailing before the next update sends me back to checking and testing for incompatibilities between the different components coming from varied sources before performing the latest update. I cut my teeth on self-hosted WordPress, however, so I at least knew the basic priorities and drills before getting into Minecraft.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 10:31 pm

saxgeek wrote:
The recent versions of the Linux kernel are able to hot patch while the system is running, so a restart isn't even needed for a kernel update. The only bad thing about Linux systems is freaking dependency hell. You might update some library, and lo and behold, some application or another library required an older version of that library, and won't work anymore. That's more of a package management issue, but it was enough to make me stop using Arch Linux.

Give Manjaro a shot. It's based on Arch, but it uses it own repos that are more thoroughly vetted and evolve at a slower pace.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 6:34 am

As the games become more complicated, so do the systems.

Unfortunately, I think a big problem that's going to affect gaming in the near-future is the fact that current gen consoles simply aren't that equipped to handle modern games.

The technology isn't powerful enough, and needs at the very least a few years of refinement to handle the massive strain modern gaming already puts on them.

We can already see this happening.

GTA V on the Xbox 360 came with two discs, one being an installation disc that took 30-50 minutes to install. It pushed the hardware to its limits.

PS4 and Xbox One have only been out for a few years, and already you need to download and install multiple updates for both consoles after opening, they require updates every few weeks, every single game needs to be installed and also frequently updated, etc.

What happens if games get even more complicated software wise?

Installations would take twice as long, updates twice as often, etc.

Problem is, the gaming industry doesn't have the patience for this kind of stuff, and will keep pushing out highly complicated games each and every year that grow more and more complex.

This probably puts pressure on console gaming (and even PC gaming to an extent) because as game's become more complex, it becomes more difficult to run them on consoles and so pressures the companies to speed up their creation of next gen, but this creates a catch-22 where current gen isn't good enough, so next gen is rushed, making next gen not good enough to handle games either.

In my opinion, optimization should be of significant priority when it comes to creating a piece of technological hardware.

When hardware isn't optimized for efficient and convenient use, then consumers are not going to be pleased.

The plug and play days of gaming are over.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 4:40 am

Outrider wrote:
The plug and play days of gaming are over.

And that's a shame. It's one of the main things I miss about older consoles.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 6:26 am

Kids today will never know the joy of playing their new game and/or console on Christmas instead of f*cking BOXING day...

Anyway, another issue: Software Bloat.

Consoles are now pseudo multi-media devices despite most modern households already having multiple.

Computers themselves were good enough as multi-media devices, I used to not really like the fact phones are multi-media and would have loved to get a flip phone or old Nokia, but nowadays I've learnt to appreciate using my phone to browse the internet or post on forums when lying in bed.

So, PCs and phones were enough.

But there's really no need for multi-media consoles when PCs, phones and even actual Televisions beat it to the punch.

The PS3 had it just right, a bit of extra media without all the unnecessary bloat.

Another problem is the designs themselves.

The PS4 is reasonable, but the Xbox One screen is so difficult and confusing to understand or navigate, let alone even know what the f*ck you're actually looking at.

This pretty much sums up my views on modern technology in general.

Inefficient, inconvenient, non-optimized, confusing, over-complicated in design and content, software bloat, inferior hardware.

A lot of technology systems need to be refined to improve function but society wants nothing to do with it. It wants bigger and better each year and instant gratification. Quantity rather than quality tech.

I laugh at the conspiracy theory that technology will take over the world once it becomes too smart and powerful. I think it's more likely the opposite problem will happen - we'll depend on tech so much, and have such rushed and dysfunctional tech, that once our systems fail we'll be f*cking hopeless..!

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 8:43 am

Outrider wrote:
I laugh at the conspiracy theory that technology will take over the world once it becomes too smart and powerful. I think it's more likely the opposite problem will happen - we'll depend on tech so much, and have such rushed and dysfunctional tech, that once our systems fail we'll be f*cking hopeless..!

We're pretty much already at the stage where we'd be hopeless without functioning technology. In 1859, a coronal mass ejection did a number on global telegraph networks, and it was a significant event, but civilization didn't collapse. If the same thing were to happen now, all Hell would break loose. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 11:43 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
Go to download games on 3DS update. Play a PS4 game NOPE UPDATE FIRST! I JUST WANT TO POP A GAME IN AND PLAY IT! SHEESH! Luckily the 3DS updates are barely 5min. Unlike PS4 30+ min. at times!
Yeah, it does get annoying. I even find it annoying that a new DS must be charged for some hours and then go through a whole lot of settings to even get started.
I do miss the good old days when you got your console/ handheld, popped in a game and played it.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

MrLucky
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2017, 2:59 pm

I know, it can be a huge expensive race keeping up with all the changes. I'm of limited means so I do have the PS1 only although I did bum my buddy's PS2. I also have a Power Joy and my Atari 2600. I guess if I had the means, I'd have a PS3 or PS4 but money is a rare thing around here and it goes to rent, light, gas, car, etc. I guess as long a I could hook it up to my 1982 Zenith, it would be OK with me.

I still have my old Apple //e and TI-99/4A. I remember using 5.25" floppies. BTW, on Windows PC, I have a laptop I got from my cousin, took over 7 hours to update with all the updates it needed. I just turned it on, started the updates and went to bed.

BTW, I once hooked a PS1 to my 1969 Sony B&W TV, it was a hoot playing games in black and white, but in FF7, Chocobo breeding was difficult, you don't know the color of chocobo you'd get. ;) :mrgreen:

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2017, 1:32 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
zeldapsychology wrote:
Go to download games on 3DS update. Play a PS4 game NOPE UPDATE FIRST! I JUST WANT TO POP A GAME IN AND PLAY IT! SHEESH! Luckily the 3DS updates are barely 5min. Unlike PS4 30+ min. at times!
Yeah, it does get annoying. I even find it annoying that a new DS must be charged for some hours and then go through a whole lot of settings to even get started.
I do miss the good old days when you got your console/ handheld, popped in a game and played it.

True but at the time, the source code was ridiculously simple... The more time goes by, the more complex games become so the more frequent updates they need. It's unavoidable, so it's a good thing, actually. If they didn't need any updates, I'd think that developers totally neglect what they've done.

The only thing I dislike about it is that as a modder, I always have to check my mods and sometimes update and re-upload them. Part of that time could have been spent creating new mods instead of the repetitive checking of all the old stuff. But you can't have your cake and eat it too.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 3:49 pm

It used to be games were largely confined to local play, and glitches or exploits in a game were just accepted as part of the experience. As time has gone on however, online play has become increasingly emphasized to the point that even singleplayer games have an online component to them of some sort, usually in the form of achievements. As such, it's placed an increased demand on developers to patch bugs in their games so that people don't use them to cheat, because nobody likes going against cheaters, whether they be people we're playing against directly, or competing with indirectly by gaining achievements and experience.

Ironically, games tend to ship in a buggier state out of the box now that there's an increased demand to release games on time to take advantage of all the marketing hype. Combined with the pressure to eliminate bugs to prevent cheating, this makes it so that patches are now frequent and common for popular games. Of course, with game releases being treated as major events on the same scale as Hollywood movies, and with newer games constantly being released and leaving older titles in the dust, games that were once popular often end up being abandoned with major exploits being left wide open, making it so that people can no longer have as enjoyable of an experience playing these games.

It's annoying when games require tons of patches in order to function properly, but it's also just as annoying when games are left to rot with no support, and end up becoming cesspools for cheaters. It's also annoying when games are locked down excessively so that people can't mod them. In the PC gaming scene, games are sometimes supported by fans years after release who release their own patches to fix bugs, improve graphical fidelity, add features, or even change the gameplay itself. The console scene seems to be warming up to this somewhat, but in the past the only people who modded console games usually did it purely to cheat, and not to enrich the experience for other players.

TL;DR patches are a necessary evil in this day and age.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 1:31 pm

This is why I keep a good supply of old school games and systems on standby for just such an occasion. Either that, or I'll just watch Doctor Who on my laptop while it screwing around with the update.