Any strategy or RPGs games fans out there ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Duidg4mes
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Feb 2016, 2:43 pm

Hey friends! there's any RPGs or strategy fans out there ? what games do you like the most ? can we play together ?
and most importante, there's any souls fan ? or Dota 2 or Grimm dawn player ? this are the games i most like to play right now... anyway, lets talk and know each other!:)

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2016, 2:49 pm

I do strategy games, but it depends on the game. My favorite is AI War (found on Steam). I find that most strategy games arent very good for multiplayer though.

RPGs I just outright hate.

Dota 2... I always really want to like that one, but the game's utter obsession with last-hits completely kills it for me. Havent played in ages. I havent played League or Smite in awhile either, but I'll probably go back to those two sooner or later.

Duidg4mes
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Feb 2016, 4:08 pm

Dota 2 is a game of pacience, yes i understand your difficult in such games and worry not friend!, anyway RPGs are games of dedication in my opinion, they have long playtroughts, take in example Dark Souls 1 i took more than 90 hours in my fist play, sooo what games do you like the most ?

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2016, 4:54 pm

I really enjoyed Fallout 1 and am looking forward to playing Fallout 2. Strategy games I have not played in a long time, but my favorites were Romance of the Three Kingdoms, X-Com UFO Defense, and Tropico 3.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2016, 7:44 pm

Duidg4mes wrote:
Dota 2 is a game of pacience, yes i understand your difficult in such games and worry not friend!, anyway RPGs are games of dedication in my opinion, they have long playtroughts, take in example Dark Souls 1 i took more than 90 hours in my fist play, sooo what games do you like the most ?

It's not so much a matter of patience with Dota; it's more a matter of that mechanic just... being so arbitrary. It always feels like they did so very, very well with every other aspect of the game... but then totally ran out of ideas when it came to that part. Just occaisionally poking a minion with a single basic attack while laning is... boring. And then there's the concept of denying, which makes so little sense that it makes anti-sense. Let's shoot our own troops in the back of the head... that'll sure teach our opponent a thing or two! Ugh.

Sure, League uses last-hits, but you dont have to be as hyper-precise, and you CAN use your skills/spells to do it too (which also means alot of actual back-and-forth combat with your lane opponent, keeping it constantly interesting).

Now as for LONG games... I dont have problems with that in concept. Alot of games I play are either long, or are designed to be played through about 10 zillion times. My main genres tend to be shmups and roguelikes; with bullet-hell shmups in particular, you could literally spend 1000 hours on a game, and still not have managed to beat it. That's a LONG time. Roguelikes can be the same way, but some of them also have it so that individual runs even take a really long time. Or there's games like Minecraft or Dwarf Fortress where you can spend 10 zillion hours in a single save/world.

No, my problem with RPGs is more about the obsession and prioritization of things like cutscenes and talky bits (and flashy effects) rather than the actual gameplay. I cant count the number of times where I've heard that an RPG is just sooooo good, but when I inquire about the actual gameplay, it's "well, it's kinda mediocre"; I try not to think about it too hard, or I'll have some sort of divide-by-zero brain crash. Like a PC having a bluescreen moment. It kinda makes me think of FF6, for instance. I remember playing through that game long ago (when I did still care about these somewhat); the combat was mostly braindead, particularly in the early game. For QUITE a long while, all you have to do to win a fight is wait for Edgar's turn, and then use his auto-crossbow thing exactly once. Fight over. When not doing that, you're just using basic attacks and such over and over with little actual strategy. It always made me wonder... why is the combat even here at all, when there's nothing to it? That and they also tend to be very, very easy games since they're obsessed with story. I dont really bother with easy games, I get bored immediately.

Now, things like Dark Souls to me arent really RPGs; they're a different genre that happens to have RPG elements in them. Dark Souls is WAY more actual gameplay than it is cutscenes, talky bits, or story. I classify it as an action/adventure game. So many games have "RPG elements" in them these days, really... When I think of RPGs as a genre, I think of either jRPGs, or things like Skyrim. Mostly jRPGs.

My favorite sorts of games though are fighting games, shmups (favorite one being Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu), roguelikes (favorite being... er... probably Isaac), and I tend to like things along the lines of Minecraft too, which is a definite favorite of mine. Dwarf Fortress too.

As strategy games go, things like X-Com, Civ 5, Anno 2070 (sort of a combination of strategy game and citybuilder), with my favorite one being AI War.

shan780
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Feb 2016, 7:52 pm

i play a lot of jrpgs

i have completed every final fantasy and dragon quest game, as well as the xeno series, the kingdom hearts games, the tales games and all of the valkyria chronicles games (i imported the japanese-only ones and played through them with my dictionary at hand). i have played all of the souls games, including bloodborne, many times. i have also played every fire emblem game.

i am also a fan of many "western" rpgs such as the witcher trilogy and the mass effect trilogy.

Fibbox
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Feb 2016, 7:57 pm

I used to play Dota2 but then i got so fed up with everyone involved with that i haven't played for months. Tried Xcom, liked the combat a lot but absolutely hated the base building as it was just too pressuring. As for RPGs the only ones i played are LISA the painful and Pokémon which i both like a lot.

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2016, 9:32 pm

I like RPGs, I don't like DOTA 2.

Some of my favorite rpgs include- Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, Star Ocean 3 and Fallout 3.

Duidg4mes
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Feb 2016, 5:57 pm

I have to admit, in Dark Souls you need to build your own history, kinda like the fist zelda, and yes the player really need to search in NPCs to dicover the lore.

yes the concept of denying your own troops is kinda strange, the real function is too denying the exp and gold from that creep or tower, and i understand you.

i have some problems with roguelike games, i dont know... its just strange to me...

And i really love XCOM, i have over 80 hours.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 9:41 am

I play Final Fantasy, Rune Factory, Fire Emblem, Radiant Historia, and Pokemon.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2016, 10:15 am

I quite like Age of Mythology. I'm no good at it, but I like it. I also like modding it to follow MY rules instead. :twisted:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2016, 11:02 am

I assume now that this thread is about video games instead of role-playing games.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

thesewalls
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2016, 3:22 pm

I play strategy & RPGs but never multiplayer. I've played the Civ games and their permutations & also play Crusader Kings II.
RPGs go back to the days of Ultima. Currently I have the last three Elder Scrolls Games, Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Fallout 3 & New Vegas. My current timesink is the Witcher series.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Feb 2016, 2:22 am

I haven't played that many but the games I play the most are The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, & Pokemon Yellow; I haven't played the other Pokemon games cuz I haven't beaten Yellow because I level up all my pokemon evenly so it takes FOREVER.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Feb 2016, 2:25 am

I haven't played that many but the games I play the most are The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, & Pokemon Yellow. I haven't played the other Pokemon games because I haven't beaten Yellow because I level up all my pokemon evenly so it takes FOREVER :wall:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Plushtrap04
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Feb 2016, 1:09 pm

Yes, I am a great RPG fan but if you are a fan I recommend The Elder Scrolls Online for a great RPG.