Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 8:20 pm

I love video games, but between a full-time job, exercising, cooking dinners for myself, etc., I never find the time to actually play them much anymore. It seems like games are getting more and more time-intensive as well, so that doesn't help. A lot of the newer games may take 200+ hours to actually complete and finish all of the content, so if I only get to play like 5 hours a week, that's almost a year to beat a game.

For those of you who work or go to school full-time: how do you make time to play games without letting them interfere with other priorities? I can't seem to strike a balance - if I get sucked into games they take too much time and I slack off in other areas, or I play them so seldomly that I never really make progress and start to get bored.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 9:12 pm

With action games, something you can do is go for par-times and high-scores. With slower games, you can always save and come back.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 6:46 am

Feels

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 7:47 am

Balancing priorities is something I found very hard--and I think it is something that affects a lot of aspies.

I tend to measure time by finishing tasks. In other words, I'll work on something until its done. For instance, if it takes an extra half an hour to vacuum the floor, I'll take the extra half an hour to finish the task. As opposed to spending a fixed time each week vacuuming the floor.

For me, it comes down to breaking things into smaller "goals" and stopping when I'm done, even it it went really quickly.

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2016, 6:36 am

This was such a problematic thing for me when I started to work.
I started my university AND a very intense work routine in the same day, so for the first weeks I honestly thought I was going to freak out. My work time was from 8:00-17:00 and from there I went to university and stayed until 22:30.
For someone who HAVE to play video games to relax (it's my main hobbie) this was a nightmare because even when I finally was at home I couldn't wait too long to go to sleep since I was going to wake at 6:00 next day.
So I didn't really have an option and tried to get used to do not play during the week, (or played something like 30 minutes on more stressfull days) and played all day during weekends.
This was very hard during quite some time... Well, actually I'm not sure I've ever got used to it. But I tried my best to focus on what was the most important priority of life at the moment and this helped me to do not lose sight of things.