Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Sigi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 May 2022, 2:58 pm

Not a lot scares me in games.

As a kid though I was scared of the Stained glass demon in Medievil. It's actually a cool concept now though.

The atmosphere in the Silent hill 1-3 could get very creepy. Especially the hospital and hospital in 1 and the church in 3. I think the original could get very scary if they remade it.

PT was promising, last time I felt genuinely uneasy playing a videogame. Especially with the sound coming out of the controller.

Soma is also good, not totally horror but when you get to one of the bases and you don't know what's lurking..(if you love horror or scifi at all PLEASE play this game it's so good, a great story)

Project zero/fatal frame also had good unnerving atmospheres. Plus you had to get up close.

I imagine resident evil 7 would be terrifying if you had VR. I liked it but it wasn't too scary, did jump when margurite jumped out at one point though.

I've also played amnesia and outlast but didn't find them scary

Any good scary games let me know.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 6:08 am

Sigi wrote:
I've also played amnesia and outlast but didn't find them scary

I thought Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth was pretty scary, but Idunno if you'd agree if you didn't think Amnesia was scary, which was hugely inspired by it.
It kind of "borrowed" the whole "don't look at scary things or you'll lose sanity" mechanic from DCotE.

lovelyanathema
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jun 2022, 5:47 pm

The alien abduction part of Majora's Mask. It's so nerve racking.

arekks
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jul 2022, 9:29 pm

Not a conventional answer, but the most scared I've ever been playing a game is when someone had me try their VR headset and it put me in the menu, which was like a dark empty void with some options to select. I threw that thing off so fast. I have a crazy fear of that, and heights... I get palpitations sometimes if I see like a shot of space on a TV show, I'm not even exaggerating. VR literally making me experience that for real is not good. (Also, any height at all in any of those games makes me genuinely fear for my life.)

Other than that, Silent Hill 1 scared me so bad as a kid. I had to have my dad play through the hospital for me. And several points in the second game scared me, but one extremely effective scare is the hospital rooftop... you know the one.

When I was very young I also had nightmares about Revenge of Shinobi. That last boss with your girlfriend getting crushed in the background was pretty brutal for a child! You couldn't even possibly save her without coming to the boss with a powerup.

Most horror games don't scare me though. I played Visage recently, and it's kind of interesting but not really scary. I can't really remember the last game that actually scared me.

DogOfJudah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2022, 8:56 am

The only time I can remember having a mini heart attack playing a game is when the dog crashes through the window in Resident Evil, but I was about 8 at the time.

Don't really get scared playing games.

Some of the jump scares in Dead Space got me, however they repeated the same tension building formula for each one they became quite predictable.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 9:40 am

Whenever I’d play Majora’s Mask on the Gamecube, I was constantly afraid that it would crash (again), and I’d lose 2-3 hours worth of progress.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 10:08 am

Forgive the poor quality. It's the best I could find.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 12:26 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Whenever I’d play Majora’s Mask on the Gamecube, I was constantly afraid that it would crash (again), and I’d lose 2-3 hours worth of progress.

lol

I played it for the "first" time a couple years ago, on the N64, and even without crashing, it was pretty easy to lose progress. I'd start a dungeon or a side quest without realizing that you need two or three days to finish it, and then I'd run out of time and have to start the whole thing over again.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 2:39 pm

"Blair Witch Volume I: Rustin Parr" was scary at some points - even though I played it a long time ago, when I was a teenager in high school (I got the game because it was added to some magazine as a gift and later, from what I remember, I exchanged it for something else - another game? - with my friend), I can recall that there was some monster, afraid of light - quite like in "Blair Witch" from 2019 I played last year. This monster was scary.

Lukario
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 8:28 am

Eternal Darkness tub

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 8:32 pm

The original Silent Hill, where the little demon things "kill" you in the alleyway early on, because the exit is no longer there. Then Harry Mason wakes up and meets the police officer, Cybil.

That is awesome psychological horror. :twisted: