Butterfly

20 Mar 2016, 5:28 pm

anyone here like undertale?
it's a special interest of mine, actually
i have a couple of questions to get the conversation started ;;0

1 what's your favourite boss?

2 who's your favourite character?

3 what route did you initially take?

4 what part of the game hit you hardest?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 7:15 pm

Haven't played it yet, but I would like to.

ludoslark
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Mar 2016, 8:12 pm

im p sure it's like
10 bucks on steam
i have to admit that because im poor and have literally no money, i had to pirate it oops

SparkyCosmos
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Mar 2016, 1:23 am

Too poor to get it for myself, but my friend has it and he likes talking about it to me. The funny thing is I was the one who got him into it, by showing him the music Battle Against a True Hero. He instantly recognized the usage of Touhou trumpets and immediately gained interest. So yeah, I know a lot about the game even though I haven't actually played it.

My favorite boss is probably the Mad Dummy, because it reminded me of something from Super Mario RPG. Favorite character is either Sans with his skele-ton of puns or Toriel with her reaction to you not attacking the dummy. I'd also probably feel guilty doing any route that involved killing anything, so yeah. And one of the sad moments that stuck out to me was the music that plays during a neutral ending (appropriately called An Ending).

I think the biggest thing I like about the game is the music, and the fact that it is commonly compared to the Mother series.

Malaise
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2016, 1:34 am

I don't know if I have a favorite boss, but my favorite characters are Papyrus and Alphys. Papyrus gave me a few good laughs and reminds me of a close friend, and Alphys just has an endearing personality. I don't see a lot of characters like her in the games I play.

I took the neutral route my first playthrough and went in totally blind. Tried to avoid spoilers, fanart, etc, so that my choices wouldn't be influenced.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 7:13 am

ludoslark wrote:
im p sure it's like
10 bucks on steam

Yeah, well, I would still have to find time to play it =)

There's rumors of it coming to the 3DS, so I'll wait to see if that pans out. That would be awesome.

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2016, 7:53 am

Ah, Undertale, the game that made me cry for hours straight.

Can't really answer 1 and 2, but for 3 I went straight toward pacifist (as in I did neutral without gaining a single EXP and went pacifist from there - it was my plan to not kill anything before I learned of the pacifist route anyway). Never gunna go any other route, ever. And now my save file is backed up so the world can continue to exist in peace (silly, I know, but that game really gets to you... or at least it got to me, at any rate).

4... well... I can't say because I cried from the monsters telling Chara's story in New Home during the neutral route aaaaalll the way to the end of the pacifist route. Hard to tell what hit the hardest in such a situation.

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 2:57 am

never have played. it's near the tail end of my backlog.

if anyone could explain to me what made it so popular, as if i were five years old, that would be appreciated.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 3:22 am

A few things make it popular, in my own opinion/view, starting with the actual gameplay element as #1:

1. It's an RPG that genuinely is DIFFERENT. It's not another JRPG wannabe, and it's not another Skyrim clone. Even in combat, you dont play it like pretty much anything else. When enemies attack, your cursor... representing your character... is shifted into a box (you cant go out of it's boundaries) and enemies fire bullet-hell type attacks at you, which you must then dodge. They keep doing this for a time, until their turn ends, at which point you can then select an action before the next round of flying pain comes at you. But it goes further than that, by frequently bending it's own core mechanic in unusual directions. There's one character that can actually KEEP attacking you when it's your turn to select an action; your cursor is acting, in fact, as a cursor, jumping from one option to the next as you go to select things and move it around, but it can still take damage because the guy doesnt relent. The attack is specifically formatted for this (you'd have to see it to understand what I mean). And the game switches it up a bunch. There's a couple of fights where the bullet-hell aspect is combined with what is essentially "platforming" attacks, where there's suddenly gravity, and you have to "jump" to avoid tall bullet walls that come horizontally at you. It likes to throw in twists like this to keep things fun and interesting.

2. That's just the gameplay differences; there's other conceptual differences too. It's labeled as "The RPG where nobody has to die", meaning, you can literally go through the game while killing nothing at all. You can go through and win each fight without ever actually using the attack command (you will never get EXP this way though, but you dont actually NEED that... I wont spoil that bit though). You get a "Mercy" command that you can use, but it's not so simple as just clicking it and the fight ends; there's always more to it, depending on the enemy (it varies from one to the next, as to what you have to do) and you still have to deal with dodging their attacks, as they wont stop doing that on their turns until the fight has ended one way or another. Even bosses have this; the other label the game likes to put forth is that it's the game where you can befriend all of the bosses. Which is true. Bosses in particular also tend to keep talking to you during fights, you tend to sort of "meet" the characters in this fashion.

3. You do though have the OPTION to kill things. Once something/someone is dead, they're gone forever. They dont like, magically come back later because some pre-set cutscene dictates that they must. They're just plain GONE. Playing the whole game this way is called the Genocide route, and leads to an entirely different final boss and ending; there are various bosses and endings to get. Even the game's atmosphere changes depending on this; if you're in a run where you're not killing anything (or mostly not killing) the game will tend to be bright and hilarious. But if you've been murdering everything... it'll take on a darker, more somber nature, as characters grow to hate you more and more for the threat you've become, wanting to stop you from hurting anyone else. At that point, you the player are the villain, with the others seeking to defend their world and friends from you. It is of course more complicated than JUST that though, but again, not going to spoil it.

4. The characters are really memorable. This is a rare trait, it doesnt happen often in games. Frankly, most games cant do it. It's very, very hard to create truly memorable characters that essentially become icons of the genre or whatever. But it's really just impossible to not like these guys. Cant explain this bit any better than that... it's the sort of thing you have to see for yourself.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 7:02 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
if anyone could explain to me what made it so popular, as if i were five years old, that would be appreciated.

Five years old, so let me break it down to five words:

"Love EarthBound? You'll love Undertale!"

mrrhq
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2016, 9:50 pm

I've watched people play both proper endings, as well as one or two neutral endings from my favorite YouTubers.

A cool fact some of you may not know is that it was written in Game Maker. Pretty impressive. I have actually been a GML tutor for about a few years for beginners on the Game Maker Forums. Honestly, I'd say a game like this could have been done in about 1 or 2 months if the developer was quite driven to complete it. It's surprising how much of a following a Game Maker game can get. Although my favorite GM game of all time is actually still Iji. It's a glorious game that many people haven't heard about, but should definitely try out!

I don't use Steam, because I don't support DRM software, so I won't play it. It does feature a couple unique gameplay aspects, and a decent storyline, but nothing too special otherwise. The dialogue and characters are what most people like, it seems.

On the other hand, you can download and play Iji for free. It's freeware, and it can even be a little channeling at times. But if you like shooting-style platformers, totally try it out!

Debian is the Universal Operating System.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 10:00 pm

The game looks ok. The fandom is cancerous though.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 11:45 pm

The fandom only matters if you let it.

Besides, according to... well, mostly Youtube... EVERY fandom is "cancerous". I just avoid the term. Or any term, really...

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 6:10 am

I ruined it for myself by reading the Wikipedia page... and being exposed to the fandom. If I didn't know about the "bad" ending, I probably would've played it killing everything that attacked me, the way I do in almost every other RPG. I like the feeling of killing s**t and getting stronger so I can kill more s**t. I think Undertale was created as kind of a commentary on video game players like me, who use games as an outlet for aggression and power fantasies...

Ironically, I don't play video games nearly as much as the average "gamer" because my attention span is horrible, I lose interest in things quickly, and I tend to ragequit games very easily. I would probably enjoy video games, and life as a whole, much more if I could actually focus and stay interested in things and commit to completing tasks. As it is for me right now, gaming feels too much like work for me to get nearly the same level of enjoyment out of it that other people do.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 7:15 am

Oh gosh, this is funny. I was looking at Humble Bundle just now, to make sure my Torchlight II purchase made it into my library, and apparently I bought Undertale back in January =)

hayrobo
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Apr 2016, 12:36 pm

I loved so many of the characters but (as you might be able to tell) mettaton ended up being my #1 favorite. I have a weak spot for amazing rectangles? I guess?? Other faves include undyne (UNDYNE), papyrus, & that one guy licking a ficus in the back of the MTT resort restaurant.

I played the game with my partner & we went straight to the neutral --> pacifist route(s). Then we played again... and watched the same YouTube playthrough of the whole game a few times...

The soundtrack was definitely one of my favorite parts of the game. Also, I really liked how little it felt like the game cared about gender? My non-binary nerd brain felt safe with this game.