How long do you think SNES Classic will stay on Market?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 5:12 am

Speak of the devil! Nintendo just announced King K. Rool for Smash!

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2018, 6:35 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Emulation can add widescreen to 3D games since it's merely a matter of changing the FOV.

Whoo yeah that's not true, there are certainly widescreen hacks for emulators but those are absolutely not perfect and will introduce glitches, minor or not (for instance, many games are programmed to aggressively stop rendering things out of the normal view, or they may be programmed with effects that are designed for the normal view). Many 3D games still use 2D elements (most obviously UI stuff) that won't render well either. It's HIGHLY unlikely that Nintendo will put in the effort (ie. modifications to individual ROMs) to make widescreen work when they could just push out a device that recreates the retro presentation that people expect.

Personally, I'm no fan of Nintendo anyway, at least their business angle. They overcharge for old games and aggressively litigate anyone they can. Their infrastructure is awful, I still remember losing access to my 3DS games after my 3DS broke and having no recourse. They're like a bad landlord and they need to sod off -- for all the jokes, Sega is far more respectful.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 4:41 am

Almajo88 wrote:
Many 3D games still use 2D elements (most obviously UI stuff) that won't render well either.
Maybe they could split the UI down the middle so the corner elements will be the right size and the the correct position. Many (not all) games have on-screen UI elements in the corners. Of course with only 20 or 30 games Nintendo can make small changes to each one individually.

Almajo88 wrote:
It's HIGHLY unlikely that Nintendo will put in the effort (ie. modifications to individual ROMs) to make widescreen work
Why not? Nintendo already tests and tweaks the emulation on each individual virtual console game (it means they can't release scores of them at once but it ensures the emulation is always perfect).

Almajo88 wrote:
Personally, I'm no fan of Nintendo anyway, at least their business angle. They overcharge for old games and aggressively litigate anyone they can. Their infrastructure is awful, I still remember losing access to my 3DS games after my 3DS broke and having no recourse. They're like a bad landlord and they need to sod off -- for all the jokes, Sega is far more respectful.
All valid criticisms of Nintendo but Sega can't produce a decent recreation of the Megadrive to save their life. Take a look.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 5:16 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
...Sega can't produce a decent recreation of the Megadrive to save their life.

From what I recall, someone from Sega tried to give input on how to fix the terrible audio, but it was basically "in one ear, out the other".

For the most part, AtGames puts these things together and buys the license from Sega. Though it is surprising that Sega (presumably) inspected the final product and said "This is fine."

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 6:14 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
...Sega can't produce a decent recreation of the Megadrive to save their life.

From what I recall, someone from Sega tried to give input on how to fix the terrible audio, but it was basically "in one ear, out the other".

For the most part, AtGames puts these things together and buys the license from Sega. Though it is surprising that Sega (presumably) inspected the final product and said "This is fine."

I stand by my statement because Sega can't themselves produce a recreation of the Megadrive.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 4:02 pm

They've never tried, AFAIK =)

Until now, Nintendo hadn't tried, either.

I feel like most people would be content with buying collections of old games to play on modern systems.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2018, 9:14 pm

My guess is a couple years at least. The SNES was probably one of the biggest console releases ever. I don't know how many shipped but I do know that it was, and still is, incredibly popular. That being said, I'd try to get one as soon as possible if you can. I have a feeling they'll be moving fast.

ThisIsMyUserName
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Apr 2020, 1:39 pm

Dude, you have reminded me about worms, that is a game which I played when I was a child and I felt great nostalgia. Didn't play it for a long time, because now I play more modern games, such as overwatch. I really love this shooter, but it is very hard to get point for the higher rank in it. That is why I used overwatch rank boosting to get gold rank. I am very satisfied with the boosting that service provided to me.