Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 4:21 pm

So whose getting Fallout 76?

jamthis12
Toucan
Toucan

01 Nov 2018, 9:22 pm

I was never interested in 76, but after that extremely messy beta, I'm definitely not picking it up. There's a lot of reasons why I never buy AAA games at launch, and stability is one of them.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2018, 6:48 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Noca wrote:
Fallout 3 sucked. It had dull characters, dull locations, dull map, terrible combat system. It is so overrated.

I always thought the characters were pretty interesting. Character's like 'three dog' at the radio station, the super mutant locked in a vault who had retained his mind and logic/intelligence after mutating, Moira Brown in Megaton and so forth.

I haven't met a single memorable character in Fallout 4. I also preferred the locations of Fallout 3. Each to their own, I suppose.

I really loved Fallout 3 too other than the fact that the game was so bugged.

I thought it had a great story, great enviroment to explore, and some very interesting characters.

Every human settlement was interesting and full of backstory like Megaton, Tenpenny Tower, Rivet City, Underworld, and Little Lamplight. The game also combined monsters and enemies from all different sorts of scifi and apocalyptic genres.

Now I haven't actually played Fallout 4. Is is really terrible? When I saw my brother play it, it looked nothing like Fallout 3 so I was kind of put off at the idea of getting it. I kind of think Fallout 3 is a better game judging from what I saw. Fallout 3 gave you more freedom to play any kind of character you wanted and I enjoyed getting into roleplay when making my characters.

jamthis12
Toucan
Toucan

03 Nov 2018, 9:22 pm

Honestly I really don't like Fallout 4. The writing is godawful, and the gameplay is fine I guess. I still say that the definitive Fallout game is New Vegas, preferably heavily modded. The engine might howl in rage if you try to mod it too much, but it's still great.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 9:09 am

I liked FO3, but now it looks dated, New Vegas had too much story, though the world was quite nice.

FO4 feels just right, i pretty much rebuilt every settlement in a earlier playthrough and i felt like i had accomplished something nice. Give people hope, that kind of stuff.

I think there is less story and more action because most people tend to just faff around in the gameworld rather than read through a pile of text and going through the story. First thing i did in FO4 wasn't to go save the peeps in concord, i ran off into the wilderness and started my usual exploration of the world.

VR do adds some nice gameplay, i can lean forward slightly and look through buildings (too much and you pop back) and then put my arm around the corner and use Spray'n Pray :D

As for Fallout 76, that pile of dung can go and f--k itself.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 8:03 am

Bethesda don't make games, they make modding platforms.

As a big fan of the original Fallouts and NV, I'm very much looking forward to the Outer Worlds.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 6:13 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
As a big fan of the original Fallouts and NV, I'm very much looking forward to the Outer Worlds.

Hmm, it doesn't look very much like Wasteland/Fallout, but still sounds interesting. I suppose it will sort of be like System Shock -> BioShock, similar gameplay but in a different theme.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 10:07 am

Setting and gameplay format is different, but I'm hoping some of the good writing and darkly twisted humor wil carry over. Plus what seems like a step closer to older style RPGs.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 6:28 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
...I'm hoping some of the good writing and darkly twisted humor wil carry over.

I know most people credit Chris Avellone for that, but I don't think he worked on the first Fallout. I know for sure he didn't work on the first Wasteland.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 9:43 pm

I've been playing Fallout 4 for about two weeks now. I'm up to Level 13 and making my way around Far Harbor, the fifth DLC. I actually didn't realize it was an expansion as it fit so seamlessly into the Commonwealth story line.

So far, gameplay has been pedantic. It's definitely not like the old days when I used to play Fallout 3 or NV for hours. Also, I hate cheating, but I had no choice in a few areas where I simply ran our of ammo and the monsters were just too powerful to beat with just speed and a machete. Still, it's a good way to pass the time. At least my new rig can handle it.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 3:49 am

redrobin62 wrote:
I've been playing Fallout 4 for about two weeks now. I'm up to Level 13 and making my way around Far Harbor, the fifth DLC. I actually didn't realize it was an expansion as it fit so seamlessly into the Commonwealth story line.

So far, gameplay has been pedantic. It's definitely not like the old days when I used to play Fallout 3 or NV for hours. Also, I hate cheating, but I had no choice in a few areas where I simply ran our of ammo and the monsters were just too powerful to beat with just speed and a machete. Still, it's a good way to pass the time. At least my new rig can handle it.

Cheating is sometimes necessary, or rather "using console codes to solve a bug". I had a problem with the mechanist becoming trapped in a room so i couldn't finish the mini DLC unless i used the console. Quite a number of people have complained about this exact problem and Bethesda have done nothing to solve it.

.45 ammo and single shot works for a long time. I usually carry a pistol, a .45 automatic (usually spray'n pray) and a .45 sniperrifle with a silencer for range versatility + grenades. The first thing i go for (even in Survival mode) is Powerarmor to beef up the defenses.

The game is pretty cool in VR, though it feels a bit clunky because of the controls, and there are no DLCs for the VR version.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2019, 11:08 pm

I did notice something cool with the Far Harbor DLC that perked up my interest in Fallout 4. Because of the constant fog, darkness, thick forests and intermittent rain, the atmosphere was definitely more horror than typical survival adventure. And, of course, with all the zombie-like feral ghouls suddenly popping out at you from nowhere, it really added to the horror atmosphere.