What do you think about Smash Bros Ultimate?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

enz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2018, 3:47 am

I played Melee causally for years. Never thought I would like a Smash game as much as I liked that one but I was wrong. The skill ceiling might not be quite as high as Melee but its high enough and the game is super fun.

When I played Smash 4 online it took me 30 mins to realize I wasn't having fun but playing online is super fun in this game

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2018, 10:31 pm

I love it so far. Mostly. As far as I'm concerned, it's one of the best fighting games I've ever played. Even despite how many I've played.

I have been playing the series since the start. First game was... well, more proof of concept than anything. Melee I didnt like. Played it alot because it was pretty much the only option, but as balance goes it was one of the worst disasters I've seen in the genre. After 5 billion matches against Fox, I tired of it. Brawl was... Brawl. It had issues, but I had an okay time with it. I didnt play 4 all that much. The online was really wonky and I didnt really know anyone else that was into it, so I mostly stuck to other fighting games.

But this one? It's freaking brilliant. It's just what I wanted in a Smash game, finally. And the cast of characters is superb. I main Isabelle, mostly. There's quite a number of characters I'll use though.

Some of the spirit mode stuff though is a bit beyond my patience level. It's like they specifically tried to be as annoying as possible with it.

Online I havent tried yet, because screw it. I'll get to it eventually, maybe. I've never been very fond of playing fighting games online. And I know this one is going to shove tons of 4-player matches at me, which I'd rather not deal with. So, yeah.... eventually.

Also I hate all of the Fire Emblem characters. Every single one of them. Just... ugh.

Shinku Tora
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Dec 2018, 10:49 pm

I’m a bit disappointed but not surprised Suda51 stated he hasn’t been contacted at all about Travis Touchdown for Smash, but otherwise I’m glad some of my other favorites got in, and some others returned. Only other thing I’d change is trade Richter for Alucard.

gilding our minutes and hours;
Clouds came and covered the sun,
the breath of a baleful unease,
turning to ashes flowers in their fields,
silenced the birds in the trees.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 4:03 pm

Actually most matches I've played were one on one now that the online has been tweaked

AlanSmithee
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2019, 10:08 pm

In particular, I'm glad they finally fixed Ganondorf's Move List somewhat.

The 42nd Doctor
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jan 2019, 12:23 am

I don’t really like fighting games (mostly because I’m rubbish at them), but SBU is pretty good. I haven’t played much and get defeated most of the time, but it’s captivating enough to make me want to play it more.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 3:17 pm

I think Smash Bros. Ultimate is a pretty cool game. The gameplay seems much smoother than other smash bros.(Brawl I'm looking at you.) The cast do seem to be less broken then before(fox in melee, meta bull-bull knight in Brawl, I forget who was broken in Wii U.)

I wasn't too sure whether I would be interested or not but so far I like it especially since I get to control the homie Ridley!(I main Ridley.)

PS:Misery why do you hate the Fire Emblem characters?

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 4:10 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
I think Smash Bros. Ultimate is a pretty cool game. The gameplay seems much smoother than other smash bros.(Brawl I'm looking at you.) The cast do seem to be less broken then before(fox in melee, meta bull-bull knight in Brawl, I forget who was broken in Wii U.)

I wasn't too sure whether I would be interested or not but so far I like it especially since I get to control the homie Ridley!(I main Ridley.)

Because they're all basically the same. It actually took a LONG time before I could even get their names right. They're basically all "generic jerk with sword, lots of slashing". It's rare that I find characters in fighting games that I genuinely consider to be really boring, but that group all fit that. I think there's one that doesn't use a sword? "Robin"? I cant quite remember that one's name ever for some reason but at least that one does something different.

Makes playing against them dull. Players using these characters tend to be very, very predictable. Even the pros.

Seems I'm not alone in this one either. I keep hearing the word "swordies" used to describe this group, generally by players who dislike them as much as I do.

Sometimes that word is also used to include all 3 of Link's incarnations, since he is also a lot of slashing and chopping, but he can at least vary things up with his other weapons, leading to varied playstyles. Even if there are 3 of him.

It's a fighting game though, MOST players have someone on the roster they just cant stand. I know Isabelle is a frequent target of hate, as are the Belmonts. Well, zoning characters in general almost always get a lot of hate in any fighting game, so that's not unexpected, but still.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 6:56 pm

Misery wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:

Because they're all basically the same. It actually took a LONG time before I could even get their names right. They're basically all "generic jerk with sword, lots of slashing".

Sure, I can barely tell the difference between Robin and Corrin.

Most of them are limited without any range attacks: Marth, Roy, Ike, Lucina and Chrom. I am familiar enough with Fire Emblem Awakening, that three characters from Awakening have their charm enough to be a part. If you are expecting ranged moves to mix up most of the FE attacks, may not get that, but I can tell you that a Marth/Lucina opponent is usually much different than an Ike, with the first two being very fast, and Ike's power attacks can be really strong, where I would say that Roy/Chrom are a middle ground. It is okay to not be a fan of using the characters, but I don't think that it is worth hating them.

I went into Ultimate most excited for Isabelle and Ridley. Isabelle is alright, I like both her and Villager. Ridley is pretty unwieldy for my usual play style, so I have not used him as much. One I have used a lot though, would probably be Inkling. There are some challenges in higher level play where opponents may not allow you to easily recover ink, but it does feel true to the character.

I don't know if it is just me, but it feels like something changed with the game, where I am more likely to mess up between my specials. Like how I am heavy teleport use with Zelda, and I keep just activating side special instead.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 7:15 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Misery wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:

Because they're all basically the same. It actually took a LONG time before I could even get their names right. They're basically all "generic jerk with sword, lots of slashing".

Sure, I can barely tell the difference between Robin and Corrin.

Most of them are limited without any range attacks: Marth, Roy, Ike, Lucina and Chrom. I am familiar enough with Fire Emblem Awakening, that three characters from Awakening have their charm enough to be a part. If you are expecting ranged moves to mix up most of the FE attacks, may not get that, but I can tell you that a Marth/Lucina opponent is usually much different than an Ike, with the first two being very fast, and Ike's power attacks can be really strong, where I would say that Roy/Chrom are a middle ground. It is okay to not be a fan of using the characters, but I don't think that it is worth hating them.

I went into Ultimate most excited for Isabelle and Ridley. Isabelle is alright, I like both her and Villager. Ridley is pretty unwieldy for my usual play style, so I have not used him as much. One I have used a lot though, would probably be Inkling. There are some challenges in higher level play where opponents may not allow you to easily recover ink, but it does feel true to the character.

I don't know if it is just me, but it feels like something changed with the game, where I am more likely to mess up between my specials. Like how I am heavy teleport use with Zelda, and I keep just activating side special instead.

Eh, like I said, most players will have some character(s) that they just cant stand for whatever reason. I don't think I myself have ever gone through a particular fighting game without that happening. Heck, the main reason I don't like the FE crew is just that they're really dull. Heck, I had genuinely forgotten that Chrom or Corrin even existed.... the whole group just blurs togehter for me. But that's all it is. They haven't hit the point of being bloody IRRITATING, which is the usual reason I'll hate whatever character. If I had to pick characters that fit THAT category, it'd be Ness/Lucas. Just... ugh. UGH.

My current favorite is still Isabelle, but I'm also getting back into using Bowser (one of my all-time favorite characters out of any game, period) and Dedede. I *love* how they made the heavy characters so much more viable this time. All of them. They're much faster yet they still hit like a freight train. Using Ridley to a degree, though I wish his specials were a bit easier to use. His weird impale move in particular seems pretty bad... I end up never using that. Inkling I've tried, but that one seems weird to me... I dunno, I cant get the hang of them. Though at the same time that character is apparently REALLY overused, and I usually try to stick to characters that aren't super common.

Now as for the move thing you mentioned, there have been a lot of mechanics changes that can affect how your inputs work. The whole dash cancel thing is the core of this one... it is what wavedashing is to Melee. But this also means that you have to get used to it and work with it, or things are going to get kinda wonky. There's also the fact that there is ALOT of buffering... fighting games often use a bit of that, but Ultimate goes really far with it. If you're nnot careful, that alone can cause screwy things to happen.

I have though noticed that even from a standstill, sometimes the wrong move comes out. Or it comes out, but the wrong way. Like Bowser for instance. His Whirling Fortress is a very good attack when used right... provided he actually stays on the ground with it. But sometimes, it'll act like I did an extremely slight hop, thus causing it to do the aerial version, which rises upwards. I *think* it has to do with the timing of hitting both the stick and B. I'm not quite sure what the exact issue is, but it IS there. I also had trouble with smash attacks for awhile. I have the right stick set to tilt attacks (the only truly reliable way to use them) which means doing all smashes with left stick + A. Often combined with a dash cancel. This would very often lead to the smash attack simply not happening, so for some time after release, I'd barely even use those. But I've gotten the hang of it now. Granted if I'm using Isabelle it was never a big issue, her smash attacks aren't really the main things she should be using, but for many other characters, they're definitely important.

Overall though, I think the control + mechanics changes are for the better. PARTICULARLY dash cancelling. I remember in Melee, I freaking HATED wavedashing. The command for it was terrible, and the actual move itself was a little glitchy. But they took the PURPOSE of wavedashing, and put it in this game as the dash cancel, creating a non-stupid version of the same basic function. The better air-dodges are also nice. Among a variety of other things.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 5:31 pm

It's got a better feel than smash 4. World of Light is a nice change of pace and at least it's not Smash Tour.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 3:49 am

The 42nd Doctor wrote:
I don’t really like fighting games (mostly because I’m rubbish at them), but SBU is pretty good. I haven’t played much and get defeated most of the time, but it’s captivating enough to make me want to play it more.

Play against level 3 opponents and learn every option your character has. Like grab/shield/shield roll/ aerial attacks/smash attacks/up B/short hop

Id also recommend youtube "zero ultimate control" to get the best control scheme

When you go up against a human you want all those options to be second nature

absurdist
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2019, 4:20 am

I like it. It was nice to have all the battlefields available at the start. I don't like the World of Light as much as the story mode in the others, but I think it will grow on me after I get better at using the spirits.

I hate Pichu and Diddy Kong and other "fast" characters. It feels like their movements are just a few milliseconds off what I "think" they should be.

I made a custom character for Negan from the Walking Dead. It is fun. ^_^.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 4:41 am

Anyone want to play smash bros some time and chat?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 12:20 pm

I don't think I'll ever get to play it because I'll never own a Nintendo Switch. :( You used to be able to play sequel games on the same console like the Sonic or Mario trilogy, but now they only come out with a sequel when the new console comes out, which is right after everyone has bought the old console, which then becomes obsolete while the game companies make themselves even richer with the new and even more expensive. That's pretty much why I gave up on game consoles except for the 3DS, and play games on the computer instead.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 5:39 pm

You can play some pretty amazing games really cheap for the playstation 3 or xbox 360