Will the xbox scarlet be more powerful than a gaming rig?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

enz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 4:09 am

They said at e3 it was four times more powerful than the xbox one

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 7:53 pm

Of course not. A cursory glance at the specifications would indicate it's based on preexisting hardware, which shouldn't surprise anyone. Like the prior iteration, it's based on AMD hardware. The major difference this time though is that AMD are currently creating competitive hardware in terms of pure performance, rather than just price to performance ratio. At least that's true for its CPUs, as the Ryzen architecture that'll be included in the system is currently very capable in single and multi threaded performance, compared to the AMD CPUs produced at the time of the Xbox One's design process. So the CPU will be massively upgraded and in line with current generation hardware, but in this regard it's playing catch up because the last system's AMD FX equivalent CPU was a joke, even at the time of its release.

In terms of GPU, nobody knows yet how AMD Navi will perform, but pundits suggest it'll at least be competitive with NVIDIA's RTX 2070. Which is in itself equivalent to 2017's NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti, so these conservative estimates of performance aren't particularly exciting.

I would take the 400% performance increase claims with a grain of salt. It doesn't make sense given the hardware they claim to be using. Assuming they're using something equivalent to about an AMD Radeon VII which is currently the best AMD GPU you can buy, you can get about a 340% improvement, with a 400% improvement on very task specific synthetic benchmarks. And I seriously doubt they'd be using such an expensive GPU - perhaps the upcoming Navi will allow some price drop for equivalent performing hardware, but more likely I'd think that the claim is just a marketing ploy than any real comparison.

Similarly, talks about hardware accelerated ray tracing are absurd - AMD has no immediate interest in producing hardware for this. It seems to be like their 400% claim, an absurd claim seemingly made for the purpose of marketing.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 9:03 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Of course not. A cursory glance at the specifications would indicate it's based on preexisting hardware, which shouldn't surprise anyone. Like the prior iteration, it's based on AMD hardware. The major difference this time though is that AMD are currently creating competitive hardware in terms of pure performance, rather than just price to performance ratio. At least that's true for its CPUs, as the Ryzen architecture that'll be included in the system is currently very capable in single and multi threaded performance, compared to the AMD CPUs produced at the time of the Xbox One's design process. So the CPU will be massively upgraded and in line with current generation hardware, but in this regard it's playing catch up because the last system's AMD FX equivalent CPU was a joke, even at the time of its release.

In terms of GPU, nobody knows yet how AMD Navi will perform, but pundits suggest it'll at least be competitive with NVIDIA's RTX 2070. Which is in itself equivalent to 2017's NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti, so these conservative estimates of performance aren't particularly exciting.

I would take the 400% performance increase claims with a grain of salt. It doesn't make sense given the hardware they claim to be using. Assuming they're using something equivalent to about an AMD Radeon VII which is currently the best AMD GPU you can buy, you can get about a 340% improvement, with a 400% improvement on very task specific synthetic benchmarks. And I seriously doubt they'd be using such an expensive GPU - perhaps the upcoming Navi will allow some price drop for equivalent performing hardware, but more likely I'd think that the claim is just a marketing ploy than any real comparison.

Similarly, talks about hardware accelerated ray tracing are absurd - AMD has no immediate interest in producing hardware for this. It seems to be like their 400% claim, an absurd claim seemingly made for the purpose of marketing.
Let's not forget their 8k gaming claim for the new Xbox. lol

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 3:08 am

Yeah, it's odd. AMD markets the new Navi cards as being the best cards you can get for 1440p gaming, with ray tracing being something they'll look forward to in the future, with nothing planned for pending product launches. They don't even show any 4K benchmarks for their keynote. Meanwhile, Microsoft comes out in the same week having purchased the hardware from AMD using their tech, and claims their console will have hardware accelerated ray tracing and do 8K gaming. Who to believe?

Their reveal trailer seems a bit cringy. It's like they got a bunch of photogenic people who don't know what they're talking about to sit in front of a camera, and told them to mention various marketing terms. Hyping up people about framerates they've never seen before (120fps), even though the current console generation already has that, and talking up the earth shattering concept of a pagefile or flash storage.

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 7:10 pm

I have serious doubts and regardless of how powerful it is the XBox Scarlet is not going to out do the most expensive/overpowered gaming rigs that come out in that era. That's not even getting into Microsoft's terrible track record with console exclusives. At this point I've pretty much given up on Microsoft consoles.

All magic comes with a price! - Rumplestiltskin