Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Bread and Roses
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2019, 11:41 am

I love the NES ones for the distilled challenge. I love Wind Waker for the pure charm of it. I'm enjoying Breath of the Wild for the scale and exploration.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2019, 7:17 pm

I love Zelda games. They’ve always been a special interest of mine. I really enjoy all the 3D games. My favorites are:

Ocarina of Time
Twilight Princess
Majora’s Mask
Breath of the Wild

I liked Windwaker, too, but I prefer a darker art style.

You’ve gotta see this guy play a Zelda medley on the piano. It’s lovely.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQvXmgqYPNE

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2019, 7:39 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:

The dark style is one of the appealing things about Twilight Princess. You hear people say that Twilight Princess was too hard of an attempt of being edgy, if you consider that realism away from the more cartoony aspect that the other games have not really moved towards again, of being too washed out or something. But there was something to like about that atmosphere.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2019, 7:54 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

The dark style is one of the appealing things about Twilight Princess. You hear people say that Twilight Princess was too hard of an attempt of being edgy, if you consider that realism away from the more cartoony aspect that the other games have not really moved towards again, of being too washed out or something. But there was something to like about that atmosphere.

I liked the storyline, music, art style, and temples. I don’t care for the temples in Breath of the Wild as much as in earlier games. I found them a bit dull. I love everything else about Breath of the Wild, though.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2019, 10:34 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I liked the storyline, music, art style, and temples.

Ceertainly. Only just noticed your user name. One of my favourite areas was Snowpeak Ruins, which is odd in that I usually don't really like snow/ice areas in games, they always have a sort of hostile aspect to them, the feeling that you want to get out as soon as possible, usually disorientating things like slippery surfaces, and white just gets boring. But had such a cool echo of what it must used to be, a mansion on a mountain, and you can recognise what things may have been like. With the sort of different way it is gone through, with the yeti couple even having a place that feels inviting.

Twilightprincess wrote:
I don’t care for the temples in Breath of the Wild as much as in earlier games. I found them a bit dull. I love everything else about Breath of the Wild, though.

The temples are the weakest part of BotW, instead leaning on the shrines and other areas such as mazes.

Bread and Roses
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2019, 11:40 pm

Yeah, I know a lot of people who share that opinion re: the 'darker look'.... to me, it always feels a bit out of place. There's definitely dark elements to all the games but joy and optimism is also important to the series. I just don't enjoy 'dark' as the dominant look. Twilight Princess is my least favorite from a visual design standpoint. But, this is a personal preference thing.

(Also, I think Twilight Princess had some of the strongest dungeons, so I'm not hating on that entry!)

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2019, 4:01 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
I liked the storyline, music, art style, and temples.

Ceertainly. Only just noticed your user name. One of my favourite areas was Snowpeak Ruins, which is odd in that I usually don't really like snow/ice areas in games, they always have a sort of hostile aspect to them, the feeling that you want to get out as soon as possible, usually disorientating things like slippery surfaces, and white just gets boring. But had such a cool echo of what it must used to be, a mansion on a mountain, and you can recognise what things may have been like. With the sort of different way it is gone through, with the yeti couple even having a place that feels inviting.

Twilightprincess wrote:
I don’t care for the temples in Breath of the Wild as much as in earlier games. I found them a bit dull. I love everything else about Breath of the Wild, though.

The temples are the weakest part of BotW, instead leaning on the shrines and other areas such as mazes.

I prefer temples that are more naturalistic, so I think that’s part of the reason why I didn’t care as much for the technology-laden temples and shrines in BofW. They were a little too clean and metallic for me if that makes any sense.

Of course, the naturalistic elements in the rest of the game more than makes up for that!

I loved the use of music in the game and got really excited when the main Zelda theme music got louder and louder as you work your way to the center of Hyrule Castle.

The attention to detail is truly remarkable.

I’m such a nerd!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2019, 4:06 pm

Bread and Roses wrote:
Yeah, I know a lot of people who share that opinion re: the 'darker look'.... to me, it always feels a bit out of place. There's definitely dark elements to all the games but joy and optimism is also important to the series. I just don't enjoy 'dark' as the dominant look. Twilight Princess is my least favorite from a visual design standpoint. But, this is a personal preference thing.

(Also, I think Twilight Princess had some of the strongest dungeons, so I'm not hating on that entry!)

I think that the creators of Twilight Princess took some inspiration from the Lord of the Rings when it came to the games look, design, and even some creatures. I love LotR, so that made me happy.

OoT was a fairly dark game as well, though, especially during the second half of the game. MM was, too.

WW felt like quite a departure to me, but I gradually came to like it. I like the updated HD version even more.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2019, 8:04 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I loved the use of music in the game and got really excited when the main Zelda theme music got louder and louder as you work your way to the center of Hyrule Castle.

If you are talking about music, one of the most awesome rewards was finally hearing a very iconic theme in the DLC. Reminiscent of another scene in Skyward Sword. The games have done good work of feeling pumped when the song shows up.

Along with the cutscene memory being an emotional rollercoaster at the end of The Champion's Ballad, it always makes me cry.

Bread and Roses
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jun 2019, 9:27 pm

I keep 'reporting' things when I think I'm responding. Erk.

LttP, like OoT after it, opened with a lot of light that made the entry into the dark segment so impactful. I think those were great at striking a balance that contrasted and enhanced the light and dark elements.

And OMG, when the LoZ overworld theme started in BotW, then Zelda's lullabye....! So nice!! !!

I really enjoyed Champion's Ballad. I think a lot of people unfairly think that BotW lacked a story, but I feel like it's there even beyond the cutscenes. I feel like the narrative itself is a puzzle that can be inferred from environmental cues.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2019, 11:06 am

Anyone excited for the Link's Awakening remake?

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Bread and Roses
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2019, 2:09 pm

SO excited!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2019, 3:46 pm

Bread and Roses wrote:
I keep 'reporting' things when I think I'm responding. Erk.

Don't worry it will be ignored as the post you reported does not contain an infraction

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Bread and Roses
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2019, 4:56 pm

Great! I've done it a few times.... trying to be more careful now!

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 12:33 pm

Breath of the Wild 2 Announced!

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 3:19 pm

I've been getting into Breath of the Wild lately and it's really fun. :D I also played Oracle of Seasons a while ago, and I got a lot farther in it than I did when I was 8 years old. xD