Fun games with Tough Learning Curves

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Confused_Sloth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2020, 12:41 am

Games that come to mind are Dwarf Fortress, Cataclysm: DDA, and Aurora. I've always been a fan of games that although hard to get into at first, offer rich and rewarding gameplay at the end. Does anyone have any recommendations for games like that?

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 8:33 am

For a particular definition of "fun", the Dark Souls games. Also Rimworld (pretty much a modern remake of Dwarf Fortress, but in space except not really)

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 10:50 am

I've heard "Outer Wilds" has a stiff learning curve. "Outward" is another.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Confused_Sloth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2020, 11:23 am

I've heard good things about Rimworld, I've been considering it, but I gotta wait till I have more cash on hand.

As for Dark Souls, I sort of kind of like it. It's not really difficult, you just need to learn the patterns of your enemies, that simply means dying once or twice to each enemy. The game doesn't really punish you for dying, so I feel the fact people think its difficult is overrated. It's just I get bored easily, grinding for souls is not fun to me. Same enemies, same pattern, then new area, new enemies, a new pattern to learn, then it gets old. It'd be a lot more fun if there was some sort of bestiary or a codex, (Like kill a hundred of these enemies and you get a codex entry about them that gives some lore about the world) But most of the lore is subtle, implied, that's not bad, it's just when I play Dark Souls I'm left feeling that there's something missing. I can't insert myself into the character, I can't bring myself to care about the world, I have no investment in doing anything. It's a pity since I really like dark souls lore, I just can't get behind the game's story.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)