Resident Evil is just a cash cow now...

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 7:43 am

I recently found out that there's gonna be a new animated movie that finally brings back to the franchise, Jill Valentine. She has been absent from RE since the fifth game, which came out in 2009. I'm not counting remakes, or reimaginings.

Anyway, they have this storyline where characters don't age quickly any more, because they got infected by viruses. So Jill looks the same because of what happened with her being attacked by Nemesis in Raccoon City. :ninja:

Now, Capcom made the decision to blow up Raccoon City in the original RE3, which came out for the PlayStation way back in 1999 (and with that said, the 2020 remake sucks, by the way). But every so often, they do other mediums about people in Raccoon City again and again. But why? If the city doesn't exist any more, why not leave it alone? I'll tell ya why. MONEY!

All of these storylines are basically retellings, but they often change the race of the characters, which just looks wrong. But this crap ain't new. It's just rehashing the fate of the city, and Umbrella, and so on and so forth...

But the games in general are not scary any longer, mainly because every hero like Leon, Chris, Claire and whatnot, are too used to bioweapons, zombies, crazy villains, and so on. They also just keep throwing in a new virus in action packed games, but giving it a new letter of the alphabet. So far, we have gotten A, T, G and C, I think. It's just absolutely corny, and no-one can make sense of this nonsense.

And of course, Capcom loves to copy other games. Over the years, I see they've been stealing ideas from Gears of War. Oh, and Silent Hill. The Last of Us. Alone in the Dark. You name it. The list could go on. I notice these things. I'm the realist OG RE fan, thesaunderschild. :mrgreen:

To be fair, RE4's remake was enjoyable. But I mean, it's not gonna replace the original RE4 in terms of the plot. That's still canon. So besides remaking games just as a cash grab, I don't understand why it's necessary to remake RE4, giving how it was already regularly ported a billion times to multiple platforms and even mobile devices, since it originally came out during 2005.

Dino Crisis fans even got trolled with this lame looking game, called Exoprimal. They showed a trailer, and it has this woman with red hair who looks like Regina. But the game looks like hot trash, to be honest.

What the hell is going on? :?

PepponiSpaghetti
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jul 2023, 11:49 am

I think what you're picking up on is not just true for Resident Evil, but all popular media produced by corporations.

We are at a point in history where corporations receive immediate feedback about what works/doesn't work when making a product for an audience. When they know something works, they make similar products. When they know something doesn't work, they don't.

So, of course, RE is going to repeat the types of events, characters, etc. we've seen before, because it was profitable for Capcom. Straying from the formula means potentially less profit, so why would they do that?

What I've done in recent years is turn to indie games for new ideas. Currently, though, there aren't a lot of good indie survival horror games that scratch the RE itch.

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2023, 8:40 am

Check out Stray Souls for the PS5. It looks exciting. 8)

The release date has yet to be confirmed, but it's probably this fall or next spring. I like to hope so, anyway.

The mainstream RE movies are all garbage, but the first two had some cool moments, and people can immediately recall the infamous lazer hallway scene. Capcom even added that into RE4 where Leon had to do gymnastics to avoid getting diced up by the beams, but it's gone from the 2023 reimagining. :P

DogOfJudah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2023, 2:46 pm

Sounds much like the argument 'creme eggs' are getting smaller argument.

Are they getting less scary or have you enjoyed enough 'scary' content you now know what to expect ? Factor into that nostalgia etc.

In general, the whole creative industry sector has fell into a drought and has done for ages. Why do you think Disney is rehashing 'live action' movies, releasing sequels to movies that should have been done and dusted years ago. Computer games are much the same, it's hard to find anything thats original and the people who supposedly run the show are clearly defunct of any ounce of creativity or original ideas.

Dino crisis was good but 2 was much better. We won't speak about 3 XD If they were going to redo something Parasite Eve 1+2 could do with some love, it was absolute jank on PSX but with todays technology it could be beautiful. Maybe i'm falling into the nostalgia trap too now XD

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2023, 3:51 pm

I have a US copy of the game Parasite Eve, which I can play because of owning a North American Playstation. I am not a fan of Square, though.

People nowadays probably just install emulators. Buying consoles from overseas is likely just hassle in other people's eyes.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2023, 1:59 pm

I keep a bookmarked page listing every canon Resident Evil media in chronological order of events. Most of the remakes aren't fully canon yet as they all have their own changes to the continuity and Capcom isn't quite done with their remakes yet. I'm waiting to see where that goes. The only remake that is 100% canon is the RE1 remake since Lisa Trevor is mentioned and does show up in additional media.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2023, 3:57 pm

After so long, I think Capcom just gave up on what's canon, and decided to remake the games for a quick dollar. That and the sexy, tall vampire lady tripe they had going on in recent memory, when these idiots started to make these memes about her before RE8 was even released.

Oh, God. I don't know how anyone can act like that's something that's remotely indicative of the franchise. And the amount of times they say Umbrella is back, only to take years to get to the damn point. Are they truly back, or is somebody just making up lies?

Those recent remakes aren't new ideas. They did these on rails shooting games years ago, which essentially serves as retellings of what already happened in the mansion, Raccoon City and so on. That to me is just relatively pointless.

And like I said, there's all of the movies and the various other tie-in media that's more or less giving people a different take on Raccoon City being destroyed, and whatnot. But then Leon became Indian. Jill became Latin. It just looked a hell of a stupid.

It's a franchise so goddamn convoluted. So I have more or less giving up caring.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2023, 4:54 pm

PeterHoping44 wrote:
After so long, I think Capcom just gave up on what's canon, and decided to remake the games for a quick dollar. That and the sexy, tall vampire lady tripe they had going on in recent memory, when these idiots started to make these memes about her before RE8 was even released.

Oh, God. I don't know how anyone can act like that's something that's remotely indicative of the franchise. And the amount of times they say Umbrella is back, only to take years to get to the damn point. Are they truly back, or is somebody just making up lies?

Those recent remakes aren't new ideas. They did these on rails shooting games years ago, which essentially serves as retellings of what already happened in the mansion, Raccoon City and so on. That to me is just relatively pointless.

And like I said, there's all of the movies and the various other tie-in media that's more or less giving people a different take on Raccoon City being destroyed, and whatnot. But then Leon became Indian. Jill became Latin. It just looked a hell of a stupid.

It's a franchise so goddamn convoluted. So I have more or less giving up caring.

Indian Leon and Latin Jill? When did that happen? I'm not fully caught up yet.

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2023, 9:22 pm

It occurred in this movie that came out 2 years ago, called "Welcome to Raccoon City." You don't know it's Jill until she bites into a sandwich, sitting in a diner. This is a play on a joke Barry Burton makes in the first game, when he quips a line about Jill almost being crushed by a moving ceiling. He said if he was a moment late, she would have fit nicely into a sandwich.

You may recall the previous movies were directly by Paul Anderson, with his wife starring as the main heroine, Alice. All of them were directed by him, I believe. But this movie was actually a reboot, unaffiliated with any of his work.

Capcom should not have let Hollywood get their grubby hands on the IP, or Netflix either. Whenever Hollywood gets to play ball with a major licensed franchise, you know it's often gonna turn out like a hundred dog turds on a neatly cut lawn.

The thing is, I don't see Capcom being the ones to give a toss, because they probably laughed all the way to the bank. I'm sure they knew their own game RE8 was gonna be hot garbage as well, because I can kind of remember them saying near enough the time it came out, "Play it with an open mind."

Oh, yes. An open mind. Maybe you said that Capcom, because you know vampires, werewolves, a living dummy, and a man turning into a robot thing is not really what the Resident Evil series is about. You morons.

Anyway, the franchise is dead. They're never gonna stop milking it dry with these mediocre remakes, films, and whatnot.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2023, 9:35 pm

PeterHoping44 wrote:
It occurred in this movie that came out 2 years ago, called "Welcome to Raccoon City." You don't know it's Jill until she bites into a sandwich, sitting in a diner. This is a play on a joke Barry Burton makes in the first game, when he quips a line about Jill almost being crushed by a moving ceiling. He said if he was a moment late, she would have fit nicely into a sandwich.

You may recall the previous movies were directly by Paul Anderson, with his wife starring as the main heroine, Alice. All of them were directed by him, I believe. But this movie was actually a reboot, unaffiliated with any of his work.

Capcom should not have let Hollywood get their grubby hands on the IP, or Netflix either. Whenever Hollywood gets to play ball with a major licensed franchise, you know it's often gonna turn out like a hundred dog turds on a neatly cut lawn.

The thing is, I don't see Capcom being the ones to give a toss, because they probably laughed all the way to the bank. I'm sure they knew their own game RE8 was gonna be hot garbage as well, because I can kind of remember them saying near enough the time it came out, "Play it with an open mind."

Oh, yes. An open mind. Maybe you said that Capcom, because you know vampires, werewolves, a living dummy, and a man turning into a robot thing is not really what the Resident Evil series is about. You morons.

Anyway, the franchise is dead. They're never gonna stop milking it dry with these mediocre remakes, films, and whatnot.

Ah, I see. Luckily the timeline I'm following excludes live action adaptations. Personally, I thought the franchise was dead after RE6.

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2023, 8:21 am

I recommend you watch the animated movies. They are canon, and quite entertaining. There's four of them, as well as a series on Netflix. Leon Kennedy stars in all of the films.

When it comes to RE, I would not say to boycott it as such, because it's up to you what you play. But I would recommend you seek out other horror games if you're looking for that big scare factor. Because I don't think RE really qualifies as survival horror now, and it's certainly not really all that scary either. It's more like action horror, with elements of science fiction sprinkled on it.

I get that a lot of the horror stuff you can discover on Steam is just first person walking simulators, so you may have to look harder to find something with decent combat mechanics. But I recommend one game called The Evil Within 2, by Bethesda. I'm of the belief that's a very underrated game.

But hopefully Silent Hill is gonna return in a big way soon. Although I personally don't care for remakes, a great deal. But who knows? Maybe Bloober Team will somehow prove me wrong...