Was able to order 2dsxl, what’s some fun cheap games?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2020, 4:41 am

Back at work for while I hope and they being discontinued so I’m making the leap and hoping I don’t regret it. I can’t afford to buy any games now but what’s some good ones. I’m not i to platformers so Mario games are out. I know I want to try the Pokémon games. What’s difference between sun and ultra sun? It’s double the price.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2020, 5:39 am

No idea about the Pokemon games but if you like JRPGs I'd recommend Fire Emblem Awakening, which mixes RPG mechanics with turn based tactics. If you haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii, I'd recommend that for a more traditional RPG, with realtime mechanics akin to Final Fantasy XII or Dragon Age. For something more old school, the Etrian Odyssey/Persona Q games will scratch that grid based Wizardry style RPG itch. The Persona games also share many similarities to the Pokemon games, being part of the Shin Megami Tensei series that inspired it.

I'm not sure if you're into more action oriented games but my favourite 3DS game was The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. It's a sequel to the SNES game Link To The Past that takes place in the same setting, but is dramatically overhauled to a more modern game design.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2020, 1:14 am

Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon take place in the same region with mostly the same pokemon. They take place in different timelines than each other, so the story unfolds differently. You can play one without having to play the other, but people generally consider Sun/Moon to be superior. There are other mainline Pokemon games, but I would recommend Sun/Moon over X/Y, and Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire might be harder to get into if you haven't played the originals on the gba.

Fire Emblem Awakening is a good introduction to that series if you like srpg's. Dragon Quest 7 and 8 got great remakes for the 3ds. 7 can be a bit long, and 8 is a great first game to play for that series, but that one is also going to be pricier. Bravely Default and Bravely Second are great traditional jrpg's from Square with a few modern touches.

Link Between Worlds is a solid Zelda game, especially for fans of the older games. Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time also got good remakes. I know you said you didn't like platformers so I'm not sure if the rules out metroidvanias but Samus Returns is a much improved version of the original gameboy game.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 12:51 am

roronoa79 wrote:
Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon take place in the same region with mostly the same pokemon. They take place in different timelines than each other, so the story unfolds differently. You can play one without having to play the other, but people generally consider Sun/Moon to be superior. There are other mainline Pokemon games, but I would recommend Sun/Moon over X/Y, and Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire might be harder to get into if you haven't played the originals on the gba.

Fire Emblem Awakening is a good introduction to that series if you like srpg's. Dragon Quest 7 and 8 got great remakes for the 3ds. 7 can be a bit long, and 8 is a great first game to play for that series, but that one is also going to be pricier. Bravely Default and Bravely Second are great traditional jrpg's from Square with a few modern touches.

Link Between Worlds is a solid Zelda game, especially for fans of the older games. Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time also got good remakes. I know you said you didn't like platformers so I'm not sure if the rules out metroidvanias but Samus Returns is a much improved version of the original gameboy game.

Is it worth paying double for ultra sun vs sun?

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 2:22 am

sly279 wrote:
Is it worth paying double for ultra sun vs sun?

I would say no. Most ppl consider Sun to be better anyway. Not everyone cares for the changes they made in the Ultra games. I would wait to see how much you like sun before considering getting ultra sun

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides