Page 3 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 2:28 am

This seems like less of a litmus test and more of the rubric for an essay question on our final exam. :?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 4:46 pm

1. How strongly do you favor violent content in video games?
2. How strongly do you favor sexual content in video games?
3. How strongly do you favor depictions of drug usage in video games?
4. How strongly do you favor obscene language in video games?
5. How strongly do you favor depictions of animal abuse in video games?
6. How strongly do you favor accessibility for gamers with disabilities?
7. How strongly do you favor diversity and minority representation in video games?
8. How strongly do you favor media that promotes feminism?
9. How strongly do you favor media that criticizes feminism?
10. How strongly do you favor Nazi antagonists in video games?
11. How strongly do you favor Nazi protagonists in video games?
12. How strongly do you favor large companies over small companies?
13. How strongly do you question moral absolutism?
14. How strongly do you question moral relativism?

15. During the 1980s & 1990s, which was the intended demographic for the most popular console games? Choose only ONE of the following: A) They were only meant for white males. B) They were only meant for Japanese males. C) They were meant for everyone. D) None of the above is completely accurate.
16. How strongly do you believe that gamers are privileged?
17. How strongly do you believe that non-gamers are hostile to gamers?
18. How strongly do you believe that gamers are too insensitive?
19. How strongly do you believe that video games are overrated?
20. How strongly do you believe that video game addiction is bad?
21. How strongly do you believe that cynicism leads to intelligence?
22. How strongly do you believe that bad things happen by accident?
23. How strongly do you believe that religious symbolism should be altered, even if in context, it doesn't demonize any religion?
24. How strongly do you believe that non-speculative fictional games that are set in the past should be historically accurate?
25. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with the culture of the personal computer gaming community?
26. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with the culture of the fans of Apple Inc. products?
27. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with the Chinese government's influence on the video game industry?
28. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with the idea of casual gaming?
29. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that are environmentally friendly?
30. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that finance gun manufacturers?
31. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that have business connections with the USA's military?
32. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that purchase conflict resources?
33. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that promote things like diet and exercise for the sake of living a healthy lifestyle?
34. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that promote blatant product placement?
35. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that enforce strict copyright laws?

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 1:27 pm

LonelyJar wrote:
3. How strongly do you favor diversity and minority representation in video games?
4. How strongly do you favor feminism?
5. How strongly do you favor criticism of feminism?
6. How strongly do you favor Nazi antagonists in video games?
7. How strongly do you favor Nazi protagonists in video games?
8. During the 1980s & 1990s, which was the intended demographic for the most popular console games? A) They were meant for white males only. B) They were meant for Japanese males only. C) They were meant for everyone.

1. I believe that violence in video games should not be sanitised in certain areas. Age ratings are important here. An 18 is OK but definitely not realistic violence in a 3+ for instance.
2. There is a market for it. I'm fine with it so long as it sticks to higher age ratings.
3. There should absolutely be more diversity in areas that need it, but there shouldn't be requirements for every game to have this many of this race etc. It's fine to have a non-diverse cast if it isn't founded on racism, though personally I'd like to see more diversity.
4. I believe men and women should have equal rights and will support legitimate feminism.
5. Some 'feminists' are actually misandrists (people who hate men) using feminism as a platform.
6. They make sense in historical settings or settings where fascism rules. They don't make sense anywhere else.
7. No. just no.
8. C. Why would they restrict them?

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 1:48 pm

LonelyJar wrote:
7. How strongly do you favor diversity and minority representation in video games?

15. During the 1980s & 1990s, which was the intended demographic for the most popular console games? Choose only ONE of the following: A) They were only meant for white males. B) They were only meant for Japanese males. C) They were meant for everyone. D) None of the above is completely accurate.
23. How strongly do you believe that religious symbolism should be altered, even if in context, it doesn't demonize any religion?
24. How strongly do you believe that non-speculative fictional games that are set in the past should be historically accurate?
25. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with the culture of the personal computer gaming community?
26. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with the culture of the fans of Apple Inc. products?
27. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with the Chinese government's influence on the video game industry?
28. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with the idea of casual gaming?
29. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that are environmentally friendly?
30. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that finance gun manufacturers?
31. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that have business connections with the USA's military?
32. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that purchase conflict resources?
33. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that promote things like diet and exercise for the sake of living a healthy lifestyle?
34. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that promote blatant product placement?
35. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that enforce strict copyright laws?

1. I have already answered this.
2. I have already answered this.
3. It is acceptable at higher age ratings.
4. See 3.
5. That's a tough one. I don't like seeing animals abused but I guess depictions of it are OK at higher age ratings... though it would make me sad...
6. As a gamer with disabilities myself, I strong favour it.
7. I have already answered this.
8. It depends on whether the media in question is favouring feminism or misandry disguised as feminism and on whether it is greatly biased.
9. It depends on whether its criticisms are legitimate.
10. and 11. I have already answered.
12. I support both so long as they are ethical.
13. I strongly question it.
14. I believe some morals are subjective, but that this view can be abused.
15. C
16. There is no inherent societal privilege earned from being a gamer.
17. Some non-gamers can be hostile, but some can be kind and supportive.
18. It depends on the gamer. Generalisations do not help here.
19. I think they're an important medium in many people's lives, including mine.
20. It can be bad at extreme levels. However it is not a mental disorder.
21. Cynicism can be intelligent. It can also be stupid.
22. Some bad things happen by accident. Others happen due to malicious intent.
23. If it does not demonise a religion, then it is fine to use. People will always be offended about it.
24. This is about Battlefield, isn't it? I think there's room for both accurate and non-accurate historical games.
25. I'm afraid I don't know much about that community.
26. There is no one superior company. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. I oppose anybody who says that Apple is the best for this reason.
27. There could very well be problems there.
28. If you want to game casually, do so. I'm not a snob.
29. That depends on their other actions.
30. It's not ideal considering America's obsession with guns.
31. They could work propaganda into their games.
32. I didn't know companies did this so I can't say.
33. That seems to be muddying the line between video game company and influencer.
34. I don't want advertising to become more all-pervasive as it already is.
35. Fanworks and fangames are awesome. I don't think there should be a monopoly on content.

FiruthiDragovic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jan 2021, 8:10 pm

LonelyJar wrote:

1. I'm generally okay with it, but it doesn't have to be EVERYWHERE.
2. Nudity is one thing. Throwing someone into the content without warning has caused me to turn away from games before. I've been trying to work on this.
3. Fairly indifferent, honestly.
4. There is a correct amount of swearing and a correct way to do swearing. You don't do it just for swearing's sake.
5. I presume you don't include hunting in this, in which case there's a certain ethos to follow... because outside of that, I'm not okay with it but can at least restrain my upset to the character doing it and not the game maker. (Violating the ethos when depicting hunting would also get me mad.)
6. There are game types where it just won't work. If you can do it though, do it. (If a gamer with just one limb wanted to play something like Dark Souls, I'd rather build a controller specifically for them than try to dumb down the game.)
7. All I can say to this is "take it seriously if you do it". Don't just put in such a character for the sake of such a character, make them actually fit. Anything less is a disservice.
8. Similarly to 7, take the principle seriously.
9. See 8.
10. They're pretty much the archetype of villainy. They should only be there when necessary.
11. Hahahahahaha-no. No one could pull that off in any way that's not going to cause universal outrage.
12. I've soured on big companies - I suspect their ethics issues are the direct reason for their games turning out so disappointing.
13. To me, there are no absolutes.
14. However, there is a certain point where 'relative' is too absurd to believe.
15. C
16. The only "privilege" I could legitimately see is in pay-to-win games. Beyond that, no way.
17. I don't get to see the hostility, so I really can't answer this one.
18. I'm not a good frame of reference for this one either.
19. Important medium going forward.
20. Just like any other addiction to me, and does not warrant a separate diagnosis from other addictions.
21. Not inherently. Intelligence requires much more than just cynicism.
22. Quite a bit. I'd rather have a clear path before throwing malice into the mix.
23. One of the main games I play is all about religions. There is exactly ONE case where I'm okay with changing religious symbolism and it's not that religion's fault.
24. I believe they should be accurate or at least try to be.
25. You mean the "PC Master Race" crowd? There is a level where that can get to be a problem, but I haven't witnessed that level of problem.
26. Don't get me started on Apple, please.
27. Definite potential for issues.
28. There's always going to be casuals in any hobby. I'm not interfering there.
29. This is down to their other actions.
30. Other than copyright, I didn't know they financed them. License a gun if you have to. There's not a whole lot of other reason to finance them.
31. The Army outright developed a video game of its own, so a game developer having business connection with the military isn't that weird to me. Potential for problems, sure, just like any other business connection.
32. Wasn't aware of this happening, but if I saw it, I'd refuse to believe there is no other way for a game company to get those resources.
33. I'm a decent fan of exercise games, but beyond that, promotions like this wouldn't register with me.
34. Pepsimaaaaaaan! Okay, seriously, it's RARE that games with blatant product placement are interesting enough to work.
35. I'm big on fanworks and fangames these days. A strict lockdown on the content is... bad, shall we say.

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2021, 10:09 pm

Okay, I think this will mark the final time I update this list of questions for a long while. The newest questions I added are so controversial that this thread will likely be locked soon after this post. I'm starting to wonder if I'm overthinking ideas for important questions people should be asking about the entire medium of video games. Honestly, I'm surprised that nobody brought up the name of the Kulturkampf that inspired me to make this ever-expanding survey in the first place. (For the record, I abhor both the "pro side" and the "anti side" with damn near every fiber of my being; all the scamming, harassing and doxing that both sides are guilty of has left me even more uncomfortable with socializing and expressing myself online than ever before, and I doubt I'm alone in that regard. Please refrain from mentioning the name of this seemingly never-ending flame war, as it will only make things even worse.)

29. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that attempt to be environmentally conscious?
36. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that poke fun at controversial organizations like the group that TV Tropes referenced on the Church of Happyology page?
37. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that favor Israel over Palestine in their war games?
38. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that favor Palestine over Israel in their war games?

Kerch
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2021, 6:46 am

Aight, I'll try my hand at this.

I like violence, within reason. Stylized violence and gore can be entertaining and spectacular, while more realistic violence can make a horror game more disturbing and effective.I do think it needs to be nuanced, and I feel like there is a long-running cultural trend of accepting depictions of violence more than it should. Violent games aren't for kids and the glorification of violence needs to be kept in check more. As much as people like to downplay it, people actually HAVE been shot over GTA.

Explicit sex shouldn't be in mainstream games that otherwise have nothing to do with it. It just ends up being akward, I can't say I'm at all turned on my digital models of people. Porn games would be fine, except the fact that it's fictional depictions and that those games are easy to distribute and have a large market compared to how relatively niche they are means that they are very quick to portray unacceptable things. Underaged characters, rape, bestiality, you name it. Which is f****d up. The fact that any horny sucker will buy any porn game also means little effort goes into them.
As for sexual content in more mainstream games, what personally grinds my gears is how it's all obviously geared towards the drooling gaze of hormone-fueled teenage boys. It makes me feel ridiculous, like I'm being treated like a stupid kid.

Of course, no drugs ought to be glorified. But I don't mind it much. I can't think of many examples and most of them contain at least some acknowledgement that it's a bad thing that's deprimental to your physical and mental well-being.

As long as it's properly rated I don't give a damn. Of course more sensitive language, such as ethnic slurs, ought to be used with care.

I'd argue that it's less acceptable than depictions of violence against humans. Animal abuse is common but very under-reported. Abusing an animal is easy and low-risk. I wouldn't want to give sickos who'd love to pull that crap any ideas. So I'd rather not depict animal cruelty unless it's supposed to be explicitly a bad thing you're ment to dislike or do something about.

Highly, I don't see why not.

This could use some work. Everyone deserves to be seen and acknowledged and as much as people like to nag about "sjw's ruining everything" the fact is that games have been pretty pale and male for the most part. Personally I like being able to create your own character, that way anyone gets to chose who they play as. But NPC's should still represent a diverse society when appropriate.

Feminism's good, within reason. Women can and should be brought up without bringing men down.

Not that I haven't had my own share of criticisms, I feel like this is a bit tricky. People are quick to dismiss genuine social issues when criticising feminism. A better idea would be to promote feminism in the way that you feel it should be done.

No issue. Killing nazi's is great.

Nazi's shouldn't be heroes unless perhaps if the character(s) defect or explicitly are against nazi ideology.
In multiplayer shooter games and all, where you fight between different factions, I can understand being able to play as nazis. It would be best however if you only play as conscripted soldiers with no explicit connection to nazi ideology. Even then you'd have the problem of many gamers choosing to play as nazi's because they like it. So it's a tough issue.

Large company's tend to bring large-scale games of quality, but are always susceptible to crappy business practices moreso than small companies. But I honestly haven't looked into it very deeply.

Pretty strongly. Life would be easy if morality was absolute, but it ain't.

Nice idea, but easy to be abused and used as an excuse or justification for crap that should not be excused or justified.

D. I don't see the point of this question, unless you can point me to a survey that proves one of those answers is the right one. It really depends on the target demographic of the game in question.

Not really.

Strict parents and dumb politicians aside, there's little hostility that I can see.

They can very much be. Harassment of devs and fellow gamers happens all the time. It can be a bloody toxic community and the worst ones ruin it for the rest.

Not that much in general.

It can be quite bad, to the point of sucking away at your life. I don't think it's comparable to most other addictions like to drugs and all.

Cynicism doesn't make you more intelligent on it's own. That's bloody stupid.

That depends on the bad thing in question, doesn't it?

Religious people are offended by everything. They'd throw a fit over a fart. If we're going to adapt our media to cater to their holy sensitivities we'd never stop.

As accurate as it can be without sacrificing enjoyment.

Rampant toxicity is a big issue.

I don't know much about apple so I can't say.

I think China and the crap they pull is awful. Western corporations should grow some balls and stop shaking the greasy little hands of a government that makes shitty-old-USA look like a sweetheart.

I don't see any issue?

29. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that attempt to be environmentally conscious?
I don't see any problems. The earth gets f****d often enough, every little bit helps to tone it down.

That happens? You mean company's paying for the rights to use real life guns in their games, right? I like realistic depictions of firearms but I see how people are uneasy with it. I haven't made up my mind on this one.

I've never heard of that. I suppose propeganda and glorifying the military is a potential concern, but that's happening already anyway.

That would be pretty arseholey.

That's nice. Encourages healthier living is never a bad thing.

No thanks, I'd like my games ad-free.

As long as people aren't selling fan-made material or use it to promote questionable things there should be no issue. Being a dick to your own fans doesn't reflect well on a company anyway.

36. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that poke fun at controversial organizations like the group that TV Tropes referenced on the Church of Happyology page?
Had to look this up to know what it was. Why not just say scientology? Anyway, scientology sucks, so I'd only encourage it.

37. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that favor Israel over Palestine in their war games?
I don't think it's their place to tackle that issue in the first place.

38. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that favor Palestine over Israel in their war games?
See above.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2021, 7:03 am

Fnord wrote:
1. How strongly do you favor violent content in video games? Not much. However, conflict is necessary to the narrative, and violence is the easiest conflict to depict graphically, from a pie in the face to a tactical nuclear strike.

2. How strongly do you favor sexual content in video games? Gratuitous sexual content has no place in video games for the general public.

I've never understood this. Extreme violence - which if we're lucky we never get to experience AT ALL - is perfectly ok for television, films and games, but sex - which is a normal activity for most people and the reason we're all here - isn't.

How so?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2021, 7:12 am

i love bloody violence against fake MEAN creatures [NOT the nice ones], am definitely queasy if it is to humanoid characters, however. standard movie ratings should apply.

standard movie ratings should apply. NC17 should be used for explicit content of any kind.

see answer #2 above.

see #2 above, with the addition of detailed warnings.

see #2 above, with warnings.

integrate accessibility features as much as possible.

games should IMHO be color-blind but at the same time contain a panoply of different skin shades/hairstyles well-distributed.

misandry and misogyny should be one of the warnings and given the stiffest adults-only rating.

see #8 above.

have at it.

looser ratings for Nazis that are doing their level best to not act like it, adults-only ratings otherwise.

in favor of major tax breaks for small business of any kind, to be paid for by high taxes on large companies.

use with caution.

use with caution.

15. During the 1980s & 1990s, which was the intended demographic for the most popular console games? Choose only ONE of the following:
None of the above is completely accurate.

somewhat privileged in terms of having that much free time which historically was a marker for high socio-economic status. that is the "hole" reason that golf exists.

:shrug:

it is a thing, for sure. i wish there were more games that rewarded enlightened altruism, for the good of our society.

i was not aware that they were over-rated but truth be told i don't grok the question.

it is a thing that needs to be much more strongly addressed IMHO, as a measure of societal wellness.

i believe that there are more intelligent cynics than unintelligent cynics. it takes a certain neuronal horsepower to see this hellworld for what it is.

complex question with complex answer. IMHO it boils down to a debate between existentialism and determinism.

it should be added to the list of viewer/gamer discretion warnings on the box and game and also a part of the rating process.

if inaccurate, it should be part of the list of game warnings and a part of the ratings criteria.

i am not acquainted with that community but it seems a bit dicey to me.

higher class privilege is the main thing.

if i ran things china would be off-limits. no business with china, PERIOD.

:shrug:

the more the better.

that is problematic and should be part of the list of viewer/gamer warnings as well as part of the ratings criteria.

another problematic thing, should be on the list of gamer warnings as well as part of ratings criteria.

that is at best a slimy thing and should be part of the gamer warnings and ratings criteria.

that is positive.

should be part of the gamer/viewer warnings and also ratings criteria, plug-laden games would get a non-children rating in order to avoid influencing impressionable minds.

needs to be handled delicately. don't wanna make the same mistake the MPAA greedily made a few years ago when they sued the life out of school students and turned that generation off of music industry product in general.
this should be part of the list of viewer/gamer warnings as well as the ratings criteria, not for the kiddies.

for adult viewers/gamers ONLY.

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2021, 3:33 am

3. How strongly do you favor nauseating content in video games?
4. How strongly do you favor explicit usage of recreational drugs in video games?
5. How strongly do you favor video games that feature gambling that doesn’t involve real-world currency?
6. How strongly do you favor intentionally obscene language, symbols or gestures in video games?
7. How strongly do you favor unintentionally obscene language, symbols or gestures in video games?

8. How strongly do you favor video games which depict characters abusing non-endangered animals in situations that don’t involve self-defense or defending those that can’t defend themselves?
9. How strongly do you favor video games which depict characters abusing non-endangered plants in situations that don’t involve self-defense or defending those that can’t defend themselves?
10. How strongly do you favor video games which depict characters abusing fictional AI characters in situations that don’t involve self-defense or defending those that can’t defend themselves? (Keep in mind that although extremely sophisticated robots aren’t commonplace, cyborgs have become a sizeable minority over the years.)
11. How strongly do you favor video games which depict characters abusing genetic clones in situations that don’t involve self-defense or defending those that can’t defend themselves? (Keep in mind that although clones aren’t commonplace, donor-conceived people have become a sizeable minority over the years.)

12. How strongly do you favor accessibility for gamers with disabilities?
13. How strongly do you favor diversity and minority representation in video games?
14. How strongly do you favor media that promotes feminism?
15. How strongly do you favor media that criticizes feminism?
16. How strongly do you favor video games that unironically reinforce old negative stereotypes about cultures that have been subjugated for ages by Western powers, such as African descendants, Arabs and Native American Indians?
17. How strongly do you favor censoring non-defamatory LGBT content in video games?
18. How strongly do you favor video games whose characters wear clothes inspired by fairly non-controversial national flags?
19. How strongly do you favor video games using controversial political iconography, like pro-Nazi swastikas or various flags that have fallen out of favor over time (like the Confederate battle flag, Japan’s Rising Sun flag or the USSR’s flag)?

20. How strongly do you favor Nazi antagonists in video games?
21. How strongly do you favor Nazi protagonists in video games?
22. How strongly do you favor large companies over small companies?
23. How strongly do you question moral absolutism?
24. How strongly do you question moral relativism?
25. How strongly do you question video games that depict or reference anything resembling or relating to the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001?
26. During the 1980s & 1990s, which was the intended demographic for the most popular console games? Choose only ONE of the following: A) They were only meant for white males. B) They were only meant for Japanese males. C) They were meant for everyone. D) None of the above is completely accurate.
27. How strongly do you believe that gamers are privileged?
28. How strongly do you believe that non-gamers are hostile to gamers?
29. How strongly do you believe that gamers are too insensitive?
30. How strongly do you believe that video games are overrated?
31. How strongly do you believe that video game addiction is bad?
32. How strongly do you believe that cynicism leads to intelligence?
33. How strongly do you believe that bad things happen by accident?
34. How strongly do you believe that religious content in games should be altered, even if in context, it doesn't demonize any religion?
35. How strongly do you believe video games are allowed to demonize science?
36. How strongly do you believe that non-speculative fictional games that are set in the past should be historically accurate?
37. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with the culture of the personal computer gaming community?
38. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with the culture of the fans of Apple Inc. products?
39. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with the Chinese government's influence on the video game industry?
40. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with the idea of casual gaming?
41. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that attempt to be environmentally conscious?
42. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that finance gun manufacturers?
43. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that have business connections with the USA's military?
44. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that purchase conflict resources?
45. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that promote things like diet and exercise for the sake of living a healthy lifestyle?
46. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that promote blatant product placement?
47. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that enforce strict copyright laws?
48. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that employ linguistic discrimination when translating their games?
49. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that poke fun at controversial organizations like the group that TV Tropes referenced on the Church of Happyology page?
50. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that favor Israel over Palestine in their war games?
51. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that favor Palestine over Israel in their war games?

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

26 Jan 2021, 8:20 am

I only play offline so I might not be included in the definition of "gamers" and I've no idea what the flame war was but I'll have a go at the questions!

I enjoy it and always turn up the violence setting if there is one.

I hate it and will go out of my way to avoid games with any sexual content.

If you mean nauseating as in first person that makes me travel sick then I can't play it. If you mean seeing disgusting things then I'm not really bothered.

4. How strongly do you favor explicit usage of recreational drugs in video games?
I find it quite boring.

5. How strongly do you favor video games that feature gambling that doesn’t involve real-world currency?
Not bothered either way unless it gets in the way of me collecting items.

6. How strongly do you favor intentionally obscene language, symbols or gestures in video games?
Sometimes it's funny, I'm only against it if it's directed at real people.

7. How strongly do you favor unintentionally obscene language, symbols or gestures in video games?
It would be pretty funny if the game developers accidentally put something really rude in the game.

8. How strongly do you favor video games which depict characters abusing non-endangered animals in situations that don’t involve self-defense or defending those that can’t defend themselves?
Really don't enjoy it but I can live with it.

9. How strongly do you favor video games which depict characters abusing non-endangered plants in situations that don’t involve self-defense or defending those that can’t defend themselves?
No particular opinion on this but I wouldn't be impressed to see someone beating up Seymour in Fallout 2 :mrgreen:

10. How strongly do you favor video games which depict characters abusing fictional AI characters in situations that don’t involve self-defense or defending those that can’t defend themselves? (Keep in mind that although extremely sophisticated robots aren’t commonplace, cyborgs have become a sizeable minority over the years.)
How enjoyable it is depends on what the abuse is but it's not something I have a problem with.

11. How strongly do you favor video games which depict characters abusing genetic clones in situations that don’t involve self-defense or defending those that can’t defend themselves? (Keep in mind that although clones aren’t commonplace, donor-conceived people have become a sizeable minority over the years.)
Same as number 10.

This is great, the more people who get to enjoy the game the better!

13. How strongly do you favor diversity and minority representation in video games?
If it makes people feel better and more included then I'm all for it. Not something that I'm too concerned with personally though.

Depends on your definition of feminism. I'd like to see the world be a better place for everyone so media promoting that is good in my book.

Constructive criticism to improve feminism is good, otherwise not so much.

16. How strongly do you favor video games that unironically reinforce old negative stereotypes about cultures that have been subjugated for ages by Western powers, such as African descendants, Arabs and Native American Indians?
Don't like this and there's no need for it.

17. How strongly do you favor censoring non-defamatory LGBT content in video games?
That would be a ridiculous thing to censor.

18. How strongly do you favor video games whose characters wear clothes inspired by fairly non-controversial national flags?
Don't care at all.

19. How strongly do you favor video games using controversial political iconography, like pro-Nazi swastikas or various flags that have fallen out of favor over time (like the Confederate battle flag, Japan’s Rising Sun flag or the USSR’s flag)?
Depends on why they're using it.

They're OK but I'm not a fan or war games where you're most likely to find them.

That would be really cool provided you actually got to be a bad guy and they weren't just trying to make them the good guys.

Definitely prefer small ones.

23. How strongly do you question moral absolutism?
As I've got no idea what that means I'd have to say not at all :lol:. I do think a lot about what might or might not be moral and whether it could be objective or subjective though. As I think I've said on here before, I like the idea that there are objective morals that we can gradually discover and agree on.

24. How strongly do you question moral relativism?
Same as number 23.

25. How strongly do you question video games that depict or reference anything resembling or relating to the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001?
Never even given it a second thought (or a first thought for that matter) until I read your question. It's hard for me to comment on since the event had no effect on me.

It wouldn't let me post the whole thing so I've split it in two...

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

26 Jan 2021, 8:20 am

26. During the 1980s & 1990s, which was the intended demographic for the most popular console games? Choose only ONE of the following: A) They were only meant for white males. B) They were only meant for Japanese males. C) They were meant for everyone. D) None of the above is completely accurate.
No idea, I was only a kid then. They likely aimed games at whoever they thoughht they could get the most money out of.

27. How strongly do you believe that gamers are privileged?
No more or less than other people who aren't into games in the same society. Although obviously you need some amount of money and free time to spend on it.

28. How strongly do you believe that non-gamers are hostile to gamers?
Not at all.

29. How strongly do you believe that gamers are too insensitive?
Some are, some aren't.

30. How strongly do you believe that video games are overrated?
Some are, some aren't.

31. How strongly do you believe that video game addiction is bad?
Addiction by definition is bad, if it's getting in the way of the rest of your life. Surely if it's not bad then it's just a hobby.

32. How strongly do you believe that cynicism leads to intelligence?
I don't know. I'm tired and my brain is hurting from all of the questions.

33. How strongly do you believe that bad things happen by accident?
Lots of them do, others are deliberately caused by people. Although I can't say for certain there are no gods so perhaps it's all their fault or the universe reacting to karma.

34. How strongly do you believe that religious content in games should be altered, even if in context, it doesn't demonize any religion?
No need for that at all.

35. How strongly do you believe video games are allowed to demonize science?
Probably as much as they like although I can't think of an example that I've played.

36. How strongly do you believe that non-speculative fictional games that are set in the past should be historically accurate?
I'm not interested in history so I don't really care but I don't necessarily think they "should" be since it's fiction anyway.

37. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with the culture of the personal computer gaming community?
Probably similar to other comunities.

38. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with the culture of the fans of Apple Inc. products?
Can't say I know anything at all about Apple fans.

39. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with the Chinese government's influence on the video game industry?
I know they like to censor things which isn't particularly good for the industry.

40. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with the idea of casual gaming?
Don't think it's anymore problematic than "serious" gaming.

41. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that attempt to be environmentally conscious?
Presumably there are less problems with them than with companies who aren't trying to be environmentally friendly?

42. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that finance gun manufacturers?
That I do have a problem with. Guns rarely make a situation better.

43. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that have business connections with the USA's military?
I wouldn't want to support the US military.

44. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that purchase conflict resources?
No idea what that is.

45. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that promote things like diet and exercise for the sake of living a healthy lifestyle?
Don't see that as a problem but it might make the game less enjoyable.

46. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that promote blatant product placement?
Games might become unavailable due to expired licenses and I generally dislike adverts.

47. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that enforce strict copyright laws?
I'm not a fan of any copyright laws.

48. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that employ linguistic discrimination when translating their games?
Don't know what that is.

49. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that poke fun at controversial organizations like the group that TV Tropes referenced on the Church of Happyology page?
Don't see a problem with this.

50. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that favor Israel over Palestine in their war games?
I don't know enough about this to have an opinion.

51. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that favor Palestine over Israel in their war games?
Same as number 50.

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2021, 1:53 am

7. How strongly do you favor unintentionally obscene language, symbols or gestures that didn't translate well to a foreign audience in video games?
23. How strongly do you favor educational games?
24. How strongly do you question moral absolutism?
25. How strongly do you question moral relativism?
26. How strongly do you question video games that depict or reference anything resembling or relating to the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001?
27. During the 1980s & 1990s, which was the intended demographic for the most popular console games? Choose only ONE of the following: A) They were only meant for white males. B) They were only meant for Japanese males. C) They were meant for everyone. D) None of the above is completely accurate.
28. How strongly do you believe that gamers are privileged?
29. How strongly do you believe that non-gamers are hostile to gamers?
30. How strongly do you believe that gamers are too insensitive?
31. How strongly do you believe that video games are overrated?
32. How strongly do you believe that video game addiction is bad?
33. How strongly do you believe that cynicism leads to intelligence?
34. How strongly do you believe that bad things happen by accident?
35. How strongly do you believe video game characters’ personality test results (via blood type, Eastern/Western zodiac signs, MBTI, etc.) are important?
36. How strongly do you believe that religious content in games should be altered, even if in context, it doesn't demonize any religion?
37. How strongly do you believe video games are allowed to demonize science?
38. How strongly do you believe that non-speculative fictional games about war that are set in the past should be historically accurate?
39. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with the culture of the personal computer gaming community?
40. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with the culture of the fans of Apple Inc. products?
41. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with the Chinese government's influence on the video game industry?
42. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with the idea of casual gaming?
43. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that attempt to be environmentally conscious?
44. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that finance gun manufacturers?
45. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that have business connections with the USA's military?
46. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that purchase what Wikipedia calls "conflict resources?"
47. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that promote things like diet and exercise for the sake of living a healthy lifestyle?
48. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that promote blatant product placement outside of games about things like sports or music?
49. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that enforce strict copyright laws?
50. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that employ what Wikipedia calls "linguistic discrimination" when translating their games?
51. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that poke fun at controversial organizations like the group that TV Tropes referenced on the Church of Happyology page?
52. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that favor Israel over Palestine in their war games?
53. How strongly do you believe that there are problems with video game companies that favor Palestine over Israel in their war games?

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2021, 3:20 am

7. How strongly do you favor unintentionally obscene language, symbols or gestures that didn't translate well to a foreign audience in video games?
10. How strongly do you favor video games which depict characters abusing fictional AI characters in situations that don’t involve self-defense or defending those that can’t defend themselves? (Though extremely sophisticated robots aren’t commonplace, cyborgs have become a sizeable minority over the years.)
11. How strongly do you favor video games which depict characters abusing genetic clones in situations that don’t involve self-defense or defending those that can’t defend themselves? (Though clones aren’t commonplace, donor-conceived people have become a sizeable minority over the years.)
23. How strongly do you favor educational games?
24. How strongly do you favor games that might resonate with the furry fandom?
25. How strongly do you question moral absolutism?
26. How strongly do you question moral relativism?
27. How strongly do you question video games that depict or reference anything resembling or relating to the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001?
28. From 1980 to 2000, which was the intended demographic for the most popular console games? Choose only ONE of the following: A) They were only meant for white males. B) They were only meant for Japanese males. C) They were meant for everyone. D) None of the above is completely accurate.
29. How strongly do you believe that gamers are privileged?
30. How strongly do you believe that non-gamers are hostile to gamers?
31. How strongly do you believe that gamers are too insensitive?
32. How strongly do you believe that video games are overrated?
33. How strongly do you believe that video game addiction is bad?
34. How strongly do you believe that cynicism leads to intelligence?
35. How strongly do you believe that bad things happen by accident?
36. How strongly do you believe video game characters’ personality test results (via blood type, Eastern/Western zodiac signs, MBTI, etc.) are important?
37. How strongly do you believe that religious content in games should be altered, even if in context, it doesn't demonize any religion?
38. How strongly do you believe video games are allowed to demonize science?
39. How strongly do you believe that non-speculative fictional games about war that are set in the past should be historically accurate?
40. How strongly do you favor the culture of the personal computer gaming community?
41. How strongly do you favor the culture of the fans of Apple Inc. products?
42. How strongly do you favor the Chinese government's influence on the video game industry?
43. How strongly do you favor video game companies that condemn North Korea’s government?
44. How strongly do you favor video game companies that condemn any form of Russian ultra-nationalism?
45. How strongly do you favor the idea of casual gaming?
46. How strongly do you favor video game companies that attempt to be environmentally conscious?
47. How strongly do you favor video game companies that finance gun manufacturers?
48. How strongly do you favor video game companies that have business connections with the USA's military?
49. How strongly do you favor video game companies that purchase what Wikipedia calls "conflict resources?"
50. How strongly do you favor video game companies that promote things like diet and exercise for the sake of living a healthy lifestyle?
51. How strongly do you favor video game companies that promote blatant product placement outside of games about things like sports or music?
52. How strongly do you favor video game companies that enforce strict copyright laws?
53. How strongly do you favor video game companies that employ what Wikipedia calls "linguistic discrimination" when translating their games?
54. How strongly do you favor video game companies that poke fun at controversial organizations like the group that TV Tropes referenced on the Church of Happyology page?
55. How strongly do you favor video game companies that favor Israel over Palestine in their war games?
56. How strongly do you favor video game companies that favor Palestine over Israel in their war games?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2021, 4:17 am

auntblabby wrote:
i must be the only non-gamer here.

Non-gamer here.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2021, 4:18 am

LonelyJar wrote:

What's your purpose behind this interestingly constructed questionnaire?