Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2007, 11:18 pm

Well, regardless I'm still far more intrigued by it's gameplay because of the A.I. And I don't think it's quite fair to say it's for people with two second attention spans. Those people are going to be playing minigames, if anything. Not spending 100 hours in an RPG world.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 7:15 am

kt-64 wrote:
yes the two-second attention span crowd. Oblivion is not in the same spirit as the previous titles. Oblivion is about hack and slash, but the other titles have much more involved storylines.

And oblivion had no real political intrigue, and by previous games. And it is heavily contradictory to lore established in morrowind, and daggerfall. Daggerfall enriched the lore found in arena, and Morrowind enriched the lore in Daggerfall. Oblivion tramps all over the previously established lore. Of course the previous games will contradict each other. But by morrowind there was no excuse for that level of contradiction, because they had a wonderfully well done world.

I don't have a two second attention span, for your information. It's a great RPG, though perhaps not as political as others. It still has LOADS of quests, actually requires people to read on certain occasions, books, different classes which are used to accomplish jobs in different ways.

Have you tried the Dark Brotherhood Quests? I'm very near the end of that questline, and it was a fun ride. I decided to postpone the end, and destroy another Oblivion gate.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 9:35 am

I gave up on oblivion after about 1hr. I didnt like the plot which seemed very linear - all that running around after the aristocracy + a tedious dungeon opening.

The opening of Gothic 3 was much better because you could start dealing with rival factions almost straight away. About 2/3 way through i gave up on it as the immersion factor was strongly lacking, although its hard to pin down exactly where. Also the combat quickly became repetitive and quickly turned into a grind. Bugs blocked quests from being finished which is frustrating when youve been grinding away at them for hours. It did look gorgeous though and had a lot going for it, just not quite enough for me to bother completing it.

kt-64
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 11:51 am

Oblivon shaved down from many skills they had in morrowind (and morrowind lost a few from daggerfall.) But the relative loss of skills between morrowind and daggerfall is rather minor, because they decided to make the game abit less complex. It might have not been the best choice, but it suited morrowind and made it more rpable.

Oblivion lost many skills: Axe, and blunt became just blunt. How can you have a skill that allows you to use two radically different weapons the same way.
Marksman in oblivion lost its flavour and just had bows.
Short blade and Longblade became blade...A dagger and a great sword actually need different skills to use.
Medium Armour was taken out and rolled into Light Amour and Heavy Armour
They took out the unarmoured skill!
They also took out enchanting!

They ruined the RPness of it by making attacks based on your skill and not so much the characters skills. I perfer the dice rolled attacks.

SirCannonFodder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Aug 2007, 6:19 pm

Wolfpup wrote:
But Oblivion has A.I. that couldn't have been done before. I've heard stories told about stuff that's happened, that's not scripted. That alone makes it a lot more interesting to me. I don't like the level...uh, leveling though.

I've got a hard time believing Daggerfall is better. I haven't played it, but I remember watching it being played back in the day. Despite how cool it seemed, even back when we knew the world was largely empty.

Daggerfall is a brilliant game, albeit pretty much impossible to find second-hand in game stores and ridiculously expensive online. Its a game that truly is much greater than the sum of its parts, because despite the horrendous bugs, repetitive graphics, quests, dungeons, and towns, I still absolutely adore it, and like it just a tad more than Morrowind (which, in case you're wondering, I played first).

As for Oblivion, I haven't had a chance to play it much, but from what I did play it seemed far more action-oriented and player-skill based than the previous games, which is why it was so badly received by most of the "hardcore" players of the previous games. Another thing I noticed is that despite having more realistic AI, the rest of the world felt less "real" than in Daggerfall and Morrowind, it didn't really feel like a place that could actually exist. There are also many claims of it raping the lore of the previous games (not least of which include transforming Cyrodiil from mostly tropical jungle into temperate fields and woods. There is an explanation for why this happened, but its only semi-official, due to not actually being in any of the games. There a numerable cases of glaring conflicts in lore that had to be fixed post-release in semi-official writings by the lore writers such as Michael Kirkbride).

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 11:32 pm

I really like the game which is saying something considering I don't often like these open-ended non-linear computer RPGs. The only thing I don't like is the scaled levelling, and the way your attributes increase. It totally discourages you from levelling, and encourages you to make your major skills ones that you'll never use, to avoid levelling. Which makes zero sense - it's better for your mage characters to have melee skills as major skills, for example.

I haven't tried these mods that stop scaled levelling yet, but they sound interesting. I might give them a whirl.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2007, 8:48 am

It relies on skill, not just levelling up. You need more powerful spells to take on more powerful enemies. My warmage character attacks with spells to start with, also doing a guard spell, increasing defence by a significant amount. When I've hit them with destruction spells 4 times, I attack them until my HP goes down to about a quarter, then run away whilst healing myself. That's when I do hit and run attacks with a longsword.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2007, 5:34 pm

Wouldn't a bow and arrow make a better weapon for hit and run tactics?

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2007, 5:58 pm

Not if your skill level isn't high enough. Man, Oblivion is really fun. I've completed the whole Dark Brotherhood questline now. I love all the sidequests and places to explore.

yvaN_ehT_nioJ
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2007, 6:13 pm

I have a char that has finished all of the faction quests and is almost done with the main quest. The mask you get when you finish the thieves guild questline is awesome. I've been able to go on rampages with it and not have my char get a ton of infamy.

Bightme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Sep 2007, 1:05 pm

Can't wait to finally own this game, I have been putting off buying Oblivion for the Xbox 360 until the Game of the Year version comes out, which should be very soon now.

I really enjoyed playing Morrowind on the original Xbox, though the lack of an editable journal (for quests) annoyed me somewhat, as I always have the compulsion to complete as much as possible in these types of games.

Personally I think Oblivion has done a great job in bringing the RPG genre to a larger (more accepting) audience, it's one of the biggest selling and most highly acclaimed games on both PC and console.

Sylvius
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Sep 2007, 3:05 pm

I really didn't like Oblivion. The level-scaling is appalling, and the quests are almost universally FedEx quests.

I did enjoy Arena when it came out (the first Elder Scrolls game). I somehow missed Daggerfall, and the Morrowind was good but the level system was too easily broken.

So is Oblivion's. I was playing along and I closed the first gate and amassed tremendous wealth and acquired a house all before I got to level 2, because I wasn't using the skills I'd chosen at the start of the game (the game doesn't tell you to choose skills you'll use). And since the game scales to your level (but you can learn magic spells without levelling), you can one-shot almost everything in the game before long.

Also, the plot hook at the beginning of the game is terrible. No reasonable person would ever start the main plot; it's presented in such a way to make me want to avoid the characters I'm supposed to find.

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jul 2009, 2:10 pm

I think Oblivion is a great game, and my favorite if I want to wander a beautiful landscape. Morrowind was so very foggy. However, Morrowind was so much more complex in plot and scope. Oblivion feels like a watered-down Morrowind. Well just a bit watered-down. I'd like it if they updated Morrowind with Oblivion graphics.

So far, I am playing as a Wood Elf, and my favorite skill is Marksman. I'm a Thief with Illusion and Alchemy as my magic skills.

TomAdams92
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Aug 2009, 4:41 pm

if you buy the shivering isles expansion pack and complete all the quests you can defend the towns and you'll be sent to a town so you can kill about 5 monsters and you get payed 1k gold each time you do so:)

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2009, 9:44 am

Anubis wrote:
Wolfpup wrote:
I've heard about that. I have to say, that is SO COOL. :D

Indeed, but it sucks when you have to do a quest and people don't want anything to do with you because you're a vampire.

I started again anyway, I figured that Knight isn't the right class for me, and became a Warmage(my own variation of Battlemage) instead. He's levelling up more quickly than the Knight, because I prefer using spells and a bit of swordwork whilst my Magicks recharge.

Dude, when your a vampy, all you gotta do is keep feeding. Break into a house, find someone sleepin, and feed. You can pass yourself off as a human so people talk to you as normal, and sunlight doesnt damage you. of course its quite often you need to feed. every 3-4 days. As with Fallout 3, im the king of oblivion