Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2007, 9:22 am

Wolfpup wrote:
I've heard about that. I have to say, that is SO COOL. :D

Indeed, but it sucks when you have to do a quest and people don't want anything to do with you because you're a vampire.

I started again anyway, I figured that Knight isn't the right class for me, and became a Warmage(my own variation of Battlemage) instead. He's levelling up more quickly than the Knight, because I prefer using spells and a bit of swordwork whilst my Magicks recharge.

SpectreWithin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jul 2007, 2:09 pm

Wolfpup wrote:
New thought-

I just read in the latest PC Gamer about how Oblivion does "level scaling". Like the game always adjusts itself to your level. Apparently even really "bad" sections of the game will be populated with enemies you can handle, even early on. And conversly, if you revist areas with whimpy enemies you've already defeated, they'll be more powerful versions of that class of enemy, based on your current level.

I don't know if I'm explaining that right-but apparently you never get a chance to outclass your enemies like you can in most RPGs, and leveling up can actually make some sections of the game harder.

They're talking about how they think Fallout 3 is going to do a better job of this (although it still uses some level scaling, but not to the same extent, and any area you've been to gets "locked" in to that level, so you'll be a lot more powerful than the enemies there if you come back at a higher level).

This whole issue sounds kind of strange, and possibly not fun. That's really the only issue I've ever heard in regards to the game, but it sounds like it could be a big one.

There are supposedly mods that fix this issue (if you're playing the Windows version). Look up Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul which I think is the one a lot of people use to change the level scaling "feature".

I have played Oblivion only a little bit so I haven't seen how the scaling will play out yet. But I could see how it might become a problem.

And yeah the AI can do some pretty funny stuff sometimes - I remember reading a whole thread of wacky things at the official TES forums.

As for money-making I'm pretty much a newbie in that area too so can't be much help.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2007, 3:40 pm

I'm playing this now. You can find gold in crates and barrels in caves, or you could use a code to get more gold.

SirCannonFodder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jul 2007, 4:07 pm

Anubis wrote:
My character is now a vampire, it happens over four days. Bitten overnight, now sunlight degrades my health, and the fire weakness from having The Lord starsign is much greater.

The benefits are great though, more strength, extra attributes...

Vampirism is uncurable, looks like my level 7 character's going to stay that way.

It should be possible to cure, it was in Morrowind (you had to find a certain shrine to the Daedric Prince Molag Bal (Vampires are the unholy offspring of Vivec after Molag Bal raped him/her/it) and do a quest for him/her/it.)

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 9:15 am

I'm finally going to be starting Morrowind soon :D That's how far behind I am.

At least Morrowind has no level scaling that I know of.

SirCannonFodder

24 Jul 2007, 4:45 pm

Wolfpup wrote:
I'm finally going to be starting Morrowind soon :D That's how far behind I am.

At least Morrowind has no level scaling that I know of.

It does, although its far less pervasive than Oblivion's. Morrowind's system just determines which levels certain enemies start appearing (unless they were hand-placed).

kt-64
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 12:42 am

Oblivion is the worst game of the series. Even worse than the first. I suggest you buy morrowind and mod it until its to your liking. Their are some fan made utilities than you need for it, because the game can be choppy.

Or you could play daggerfall. Aparently its a good game if you like oldies.
Oblivion is a disgrace to the series.

And never mention fallout 3, it is a very sore topic for the fan boys. And I'm on their side.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 12:52 am

But Oblivion has A.I. that couldn't have been done before. I've heard stories told about stuff that's happened, that's not scripted. That alone makes it a lot more interesting to me. I don't like the level...uh, leveling though.

I've got a hard time believing Daggerfall is better. I haven't played it, but I remember watching it being played back in the day. Despite how cool it seemed, even back when we knew the world was largely empty.

kt-64
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 1:16 am

Daggerfall and morrowind are actually RPGs and not dungeon crawlers.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 8:49 am

How is Oblivion not an RPG?

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 12:25 pm

Disgrace to the series? I find Oblivion very fun.

Great graphics, very good gameplay, and lots to do.

What the heck is wrong with it? It's got a great lot of sidequests, and such. Exploring dungeons is part of the adventure.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 12:26 pm

Yeah, and the A.I. actually does stuff. That's a HUGE step up over other games.

kt-64
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2007, 12:32 am

It departs from the series in the efact that it is mindless. And instead of actually having to be good at a weapon your character can just pick it up and use it effectively.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2007, 9:04 am

kt-64 wrote:
It departs from the series in the efact that it is mindless. And instead of actually having to be good at a weapon your character can just pick it up and use it effectively.

That's not true. Your character has to have a high strength or agility rating, plus a good blade/blunt/marksman rating to be able to use their weapons well. Plus, a good blade/blunt/marksman rating reduces how much your weapons wear down, and allow you to do more damage.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2007, 10:13 am

Which again makes me think there's MORE interesting stuff in Oblivion, not less. I know everyone I've talked to who's played the series for a long time likes Oblivion best (except for the scaling). The A.I. along would do it for me (besides the graphics!)

kt-64
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2007, 10:53 pm

yes the two-second attention span crowd. Oblivion is not in the same spirit as the previous titles. Oblivion is about hack and slash, but the other titles have much more involved storylines.

And oblivion had no real political intrigue, and by previous games. And it is heavily contradictory to lore established in morrowind, and daggerfall. Daggerfall enriched the lore found in arena, and Morrowind enriched the lore in Daggerfall. Oblivion tramps all over the previously established lore. Of course the previous games will contradict each other. But by morrowind there was no excuse for that level of contradiction, because they had a wonderfully well done world.