Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

mj1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2022, 12:04 am

I suspect a large part of my issue stems from social anxiety disorder, but I don't know.

Can someone tell me how you deal with losing in a video game? Not just losing, but potentially being ridiculed by a 14 y/o who has no sense of sportsmanship? A 14 y/o who gloats and brags about worthless accomplishments? A 14 y/o who has his nose stuck in everything? A frickin' know-it-all.

He's another online gamer. I hate him. I hate his attitude. I wanted to play with adults, not a jackass.

I realize I should not let this bother me, but it does. I can't just stop my feelings. I was ok and dealing with things Monday, but stuff started going sideways on Thursday.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 12:00 pm

Just report him. Online games usually have a game mod who monitor the behaviour of players.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 8:16 pm

Is this 14-year-old someone who is a part of your life, or just some random player you got paired up with in an online match?

Sounds like a typical 14-year-old to me...my friends and I either trash talk the kid harder (which isn't difficult to do), or just turn off voice chat completely.

Tell him you're going to talk to his mom and have his Internet taken away 8)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 8:28 pm

There's no shame in losing and not feeling any shame over losing and leaning into the gloater's self-congratulations generally tends to suck the wind from their sails.

Either be sincere or be over-the-top sarcastic with your congratulations because like you say, it's a worthless accomplishment, it means nothing so there should be little emotional attachment in the outcome.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 9:04 pm

Practice, get better, kick his ass, gloat 8)

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

WolfClaw99
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2022, 12:23 am

I'm sure it doesn't help, but I personally just shrug things off or be cordial and reply with GG and block them. Though if it's in an FPS I just make it personal and go after them as much as possible and T-bag/Crouch spam whenever I do get the drop on them.

ChiefEspatier
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2022, 10:56 am

Jono wrote:
Just report him. Online games usually have a game mod who monitor the behaviour of players.

That's the worst advice possible, you're talking about abusing a system that was created with specific intent.

Chirping is an expected activity in anything competitive.

If you don't want to get chirped play offline, it's that simple.

ChiefEspatier
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2022, 10:57 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Is this 14-year-old someone who is a part of your life, or just some random player you got paired up with in an online match?

Sounds like a typical 14-year-old to me...my friends and I either trash talk the kid harder (which isn't difficult to do), or just turn off voice chat completely.

Tell him you're going to talk to his mom and have his Internet taken away 8)

Turning the mic off is the first choice.

Why would you turn it on in the first place?

Are you expecting someone you're playing against to be your friend?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 11:19 pm

ChiefEspatier wrote:
Turning the mic off is the first choice.

Why would you turn it on in the first place?

Are you expecting someone you're playing against to be your friend?

It was a long time ago, so I don't remember exactly...but it was some football game on the Xbox, and knowing my friend, we probably hopped into some random game to do color commentary (neither of us really knows anything about football).