Games with an Autumn/Halloween vibe?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Agent_Elflord
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 26 Apr 2022
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 57

20 Sep 2022, 11:53 pm

Now that we're more than halfway through September and it's getting a bit cooler (for about a week, then it's back to 90+F degrees again for a bit), I'm getting a bit more of a Halloween vibe than I did last year for some reason. Probably because my 3D printer's just about ready to print with foodsafe plastics and I want to make Halloween themed cookie cutters, dishes, and cookie jars, as well as other decorations with other materials.

To keep the mood going, I've decided to change my XB1 library to fit that of the oncoming season. So far I've got:

Fallout 3/NV/4
Neverwinter
Sims 4
Lego Marvel Superheroes

Intstalling currently:
Candleman
South Park Stick of Truth
Lego Harry Potter

Will Install:
Bioshock 1
Greedfall
South Park Fractured but Whole

Interested in seeing if anyone else is gonna focus on Autumn/Halloween themed games for a bit as well, and what games you might suggest for my list. Thinking more among the lines of the relatively lighthearted cartoony fantasy, adventure, and platformer games like Candleman or maybe that Ori franchise, or maybe something more Halloweenish like Limbo.



Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,186
Location: United States of America

21 Sep 2022, 7:22 am

Night in the Woods - set during October. Contains a Halloween festival midgame, nightmare scenarios, a paranormal investigation arc, and a lovecraftian cult.

Postal - diary entries before each level take place in written on October dates, I think.

Postal Redux - same thing.

The Last Door - A point n click heavily inspired by the works of Poe and Lovecraft.

Lego Batman trilogy and DC Supervillains.


_________________
I am sick, and in so being I am the healthy one.

I know what I hate in life and I love the fact that I hate these things in life.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.


SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,496
Location: Michigan

22 Sep 2022, 10:41 pm

I was thinking about playing some Resident Evil, I still need to finish Zero...but I'll probably just end up playing N64 instead =)

My brother and I spent one Halloween playing Perfect Dark all day, so I still kind of feel that nostalgia for whatever reason.


_________________
he had a lot to say, he had a lot of nothing to say
we'll miss him


The Mauve Factor
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2022
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 63

15 Oct 2022, 2:53 am

- Lakeview Cabin Collection
- Uncanny Valley
- Slender: The Arrival (short and sweet, if you like those types)
- Eldritch (huge rogue / time-waster, but amazing)
- Penumbra / Amnesia / Soma (any games in the series)
- ObsCure (super old for a lot of you, but seriously fun)
- Splatterhouse 3 (even older)
- Hugo's House of Horrors (I'm really dating myself here, lol)
- Painkiller (series, any of them really)
- BloodRayne (series)
- Zombie Night Terror (seriously, this is like Lemmings but with zombies. Def recommended)
- FNAF series (not even kidding on this one)
- Left 4 Dead (series)
- Still Not Dead (very indie, but fun for a rogue FPS)
- The Binding Of Isaac

These are probably less-than-traditional picks, but they're what came to mind first for some reason. I see you're on XB1 and more than likely these aren't even remotely compatible, but these also run on potato-tier PC's FWIW.

Also, like a lot of you (probably) I don't really care about them being exactly Halloween-themed. Anything horror / fall / nostalgic kind of fits the bill for me, but YMMV with my picks for sure.

Aspiegaming wrote:

The Last Door - A point n click heavily inspired by the works of Poe and Lovecraft.



I've got to agree on this one, too. TLD and Uncanny Valley are great for scratching that horror adventure itch.

Last but not least, if anybody is a complete weirdo like me and enjoys 'boring' sim games, any of the Viscera Cleanup Detail games should have you sorted. You'll see what I mean.


_________________
My art (Linktree)


SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,496
Location: Michigan

15 Oct 2022, 11:47 am

The Mauve Factor wrote:
I see you're on XB1 and more than likely these aren't even remotely compatible...

Yeah, that's why I didn't list very many games.

But now that you mention it, I think they did eventually port ZombiU to newer consoles, but I don't know how well it plays without the WiiU Gamepad. That seemed like a pretty big feature of the game, to me.

Really good game, kind of Roguelike, but I'm very bad at it =)

I managed to find the shotgun, and then I screwed up and lost it forever >_<


_________________
he had a lot to say, he had a lot of nothing to say
we'll miss him


Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,186
Location: United States of America

15 Oct 2022, 1:43 pm

From the FPS genre
Doom series - dive straight into Hell.
Quake Series - Lovecraftian Dimensions and alien cyborg body horror
Half Life series - for Ravenholm
DUSK - if you love Quake


_________________
I am sick, and in so being I am the healthy one.

I know what I hate in life and I love the fact that I hate these things in life.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.


r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 May 2016
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,990
Location: Virginia

15 Oct 2022, 2:03 pm

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne

:lol:


_________________
I've reached the end.


Agent_Elflord
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 26 Apr 2022
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 57

16 Oct 2022, 10:31 pm

The Mauve Factor wrote:
- Lakeview Cabin Collection
- Uncanny Valley
- Slender: The Arrival (short and sweet, if you like those types)
- Eldritch (huge rogue / time-waster, but amazing)
- Penumbra / Amnesia / Soma (any games in the series)
- ObsCure (super old for a lot of you, but seriously fun)
- Splatterhouse 3 (even older)
- Hugo's House of Horrors (I'm really dating myself here, lol)
- Painkiller (series, any of them really)
- BloodRayne (series)
- Zombie Night Terror (seriously, this is like Lemmings but with zombies. Def recommended)
- FNAF series (not even kidding on this one)
- Left 4 Dead (series)
- Still Not Dead (very indie, but fun for a rogue FPS)
- The Binding Of Isaac

These are probably less-than-traditional picks, but they're what came to mind first for some reason. I see you're on XB1 and more than likely these aren't even remotely compatible, but these also run on potato-tier PC's FWIW.

Also, like a lot of you (probably) I don't really care about them being exactly Halloween-themed. Anything horror / fall / nostalgic kind of fits the bill for me, but YMMV with my picks for sure.

Aspiegaming wrote:

The Last Door - A point n click heavily inspired by the works of Poe and Lovecraft.



I've got to agree on this one, too. TLD and Uncanny Valley are great for scratching that horror adventure itch.

Last but not least, if anybody is a complete weirdo like me and enjoys 'boring' sim games, any of the Viscera Cleanup Detail games should have you sorted. You'll see what I mean.


Thank you for the replies, all! Thank you for specifying potato-tier PCs, I can at least do that. I also have a regular Wii, and a 2DS. XB1 is just what I regularly game on.



SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,496
Location: Michigan

17 Oct 2022, 9:50 am

Agent_Elflord wrote:
I also have a regular Wii...

Definitely the Wii port of Resident Evil 4, if you can find it at a decent price. Probably the best version of that game, with the excellent Wiimote controls.

Kind of sucks though that the game is forced to widescreen aspect ratio, but doesn't look that great on HD widescreen TVs.

Lots of other great RE games on the GC/Wii as well, but I'm sure those are probably on Xbone as well.
The two lightgun games I'm pretty sure are Wii exclusives though (Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles).

House of the Dead 2 & 3, and Overkill.

Ghostbusters might be a good one too, but I find it more enjoyable in small doses. If you want to unlock everything, it's very "just blast everything in sight".

There's also Luigi's Mansion 1 and 2.

Animal Crossing obviously ;)


_________________
he had a lot to say, he had a lot of nothing to say
we'll miss him


lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jan 2010
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,164
Location: Lost on Earth, waddya think?

17 Oct 2022, 10:16 am

In most of the Animal Crossing games the characters celebrate Halloween. A character named Jack, who is a pumpkin spirit, comes to your village while everyone wears costumes, begs you for candy, and are being generally mischievous.

In the first game for Game Cube, all the animals are dressed like Jack and chase after you. If they catch up with you they ask for candy, and if you don't give to them they play a prank that turns your clothes into rags or an item in your inventory into a Jack in the Box. Which is okay if you wanted those things, but if you should avoid wearing an outfit you really like or carrying anything you don't want transformed. The real Jack doesn't chase after you, he just stays in one spot until you talk to him. If you give him candy, he trades it for Spooky Furniture. But if you don't, he plays a prank like the animals do. I would hide my candy in my envelopes to keep them safe and then take a piece out before talking to him.

In New Leaf you can buy monster masks in October and use them to scare different animals in their houses into giving you lollipops,which Jack is especially fond of. Different animal characters have fears of different kinds of monsters, but the sheep characters apparently always afraid of the wolf mask. Jack will trade lollipops for Creepy furniture but candy gets you the usual Spooky furniture.

In New Horizons you can get "reactions" that make your character do spooky animations in October. And if Jack plays a prank on you he may randomly give you spooky-themed face paint, but unfortunately it doesn't get saved with your other designs and once remove it, it's gone.

In the first AC I remember one of the animals telling me Halloween used to be just a holiday for humans but then the animals decided to celebrate it as well. Of course, Christmas is called Toy Day and Easter is called Bunny Day or Egg Day. I read that the Japanese version of the game it's called Christmas, however.