Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,227
Location: Near London United Kingdom

05 Mar 2024, 3:16 pm

How many hours a day should you play video games?

I played resident evil 4 remake today for 3 hours. Is that excessive?



TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 24,394
Location: Hell

05 Mar 2024, 3:20 pm

If you have time to spend and it doesn’t interfere with other things you need to do or goals you want to accomplish, I say: play for as long as you’d like.


_________________
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven - Satan and TwilightPrincess


Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,227
Location: Near London United Kingdom

05 Mar 2024, 3:27 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
If you have time to spend and it doesn’t interfere with other things you need to do or goals you want to accomplish, I say: play for as long as you’d like.



Okay that sounds good advice



blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,787
Location: United Kingdom

05 Mar 2024, 4:54 pm

For me, if I play too long, the visual stimuli for some reason results in an increased incidence of tics as part of Tourette's Syndrome.

I try to only play a maximum of 3 hours or so within a 24 hour window, but sometimes play a bit more than that.



Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 13 May 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,428
Location: .

05 Mar 2024, 5:04 pm

Sometimes I can play for 14-16 hours a day if I don't disect it by coming on the tablet. (Though after a couple of years of playing 4+ hours a day on the same game the novelty eventually starts wearing off so I go down to two hours a day. I tend to find just one or two games (Usually one) and stay on it. Think this is normal?


_________________
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Febuary 31st, 2026, 12:42 am, edited 126 time in total.


blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,787
Location: United Kingdom

05 Mar 2024, 5:09 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Sometimes I can play for 14-16 hours a day if I don't disect it by coming on the tablet. (Though after a couple of years of playing 4+ hours a day on the same game the novelty eventually starts wearing off so I go down to two hours a day. I tend to find just one or two games (Usually one) and stay on it. Think this is normal?


I think it is an autistic thing to play the same game repeatedly. It's like a repetitive behaviour/a ritual, almost.

I started out playing certain games to death when I was a young teenager.

But when I got into my twenties I started playing all kinds of different games.

One of the reasons for that is that until my early twenties, it would feel difficult to learn the controls of a new game, whereas when I reached my twenties I was able to adapt very quickly to new controls and have been able to since that time.

I guess the more I have played video games, the easier it becomes to switch controls.



Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,242
Location: Hagerstown, MD

05 Mar 2024, 6:07 pm

I usually do one level/chapter/episode at a time unless it's something that has to be played in a single sitting or get really sucked in like when I play an RPG and grind.


_________________
I am sick, and in so being I am the healthy one.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.


Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,227
Location: Near London United Kingdom

05 Mar 2024, 6:14 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Sometimes I can play for 14-16 hours a day if I don't disect it by coming on the tablet. (Though after a couple of years of playing 4+ hours a day on the same game the novelty eventually starts wearing off so I go down to two hours a day. I tend to find just one or two games (Usually one) and stay on it. Think this is normal?


I think it is an autistic thing to play the same game repeatedly. It's like a repetitive behaviour/a ritual, almost.

I started out playing certain games to death when I was a young teenager.

But when I got into my twenties I started playing all kinds of different games.

One of the reasons for that is that until my early twenties, it would feel difficult to learn the controls of a new game, whereas when I reached my twenties I was able to adapt very quickly to new controls and have been able to since that time.

I guess the more I have played video games, the easier it becomes to switch controls.





You get your moneys worth if you play the same game a lot



Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 13 May 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,428
Location: .

05 Mar 2024, 6:47 pm

Jamesy wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Sometimes I can play for 14-16 hours a day if I don't disect it by coming on the tablet. (Though after a couple of years of playing 4+ hours a day on the same game the novelty eventually starts wearing off so I go down to two hours a day. I tend to find just one or two games (Usually one) and stay on it. Think this is normal?


I think it is an autistic thing to play the same game repeatedly. It's like a repetitive behaviour/a ritual, almost.

I started out playing certain games to death when I was a young teenager.

But when I got into my twenties I started playing all kinds of different games.

One of the reasons for that is that until my early twenties, it would feel difficult to learn the controls of a new game, whereas when I reached my twenties I was able to adapt very quickly to new controls and have been able to since that time.

I guess the more I have played video games, the easier it becomes to switch controls.





You get your moneys worth if you play the same game a lot


My third hand controller has just started playing up. I think I wear them out! :D


_________________
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Febuary 31st, 2026, 12:42 am, edited 126 time in total.


blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,787
Location: United Kingdom

05 Mar 2024, 7:33 pm

Jamesy wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Sometimes I can play for 14-16 hours a day if I don't disect it by coming on the tablet. (Though after a couple of years of playing 4+ hours a day on the same game the novelty eventually starts wearing off so I go down to two hours a day. I tend to find just one or two games (Usually one) and stay on it. Think this is normal?


I think it is an autistic thing to play the same game repeatedly. It's like a repetitive behaviour/a ritual, almost.

I started out playing certain games to death when I was a young teenager.

But when I got into my twenties I started playing all kinds of different games.

One of the reasons for that is that until my early twenties, it would feel difficult to learn the controls of a new game, whereas when I reached my twenties I was able to adapt very quickly to new controls and have been able to since that time.

I guess the more I have played video games, the easier it becomes to switch controls.





You get your moneys worth if you play the same game a lot


True.

I find it difficult to imagine how a person can enjoy playing a game for thousands of hours, however. A couple of hundred or so is a limit for me, even with a very good game.



honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2020
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,163
Location: 1Q84

06 Mar 2024, 1:49 pm

Depends on the game

I can spend about 2ish hours playing a game im trying out or 100 hours on minecraft


_________________
dear god, dear god, tinkle tinkle hoy.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?


Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 13 May 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,428
Location: .

06 Mar 2024, 2:42 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Sometimes I can play for 14-16 hours a day if I don't disect it by coming on the tablet. (Though after a couple of years of playing 4+ hours a day on the same game the novelty eventually starts wearing off so I go down to two hours a day. I tend to find just one or two games (Usually one) and stay on it. Think this is normal?


I think it is an autistic thing to play the same game repeatedly. It's like a repetitive behaviour/a ritual, almost.

I started out playing certain games to death when I was a young teenager.

But when I got into my twenties I started playing all kinds of different games.

One of the reasons for that is that until my early twenties, it would feel difficult to learn the controls of a new game, whereas when I reached my twenties I was able to adapt very quickly to new controls and have been able to since that time.

I guess the more I have played video games, the easier it becomes to switch controls.





You get your moneys worth if you play the same game a lot


True.

I find it difficult to imagine how a person can enjoy playing a game for thousands of hours, however. A couple of hundred or so is a limit for me, even with a very good game.


Milktalk and I play the same racing car game later in the evenings, though I played it for about two to three years before he did, so I am a higher level with a few more cars.


_________________
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Febuary 31st, 2026, 12:42 am, edited 126 time in total.


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 27,149
Location: Right over your left shoulder

06 Mar 2024, 7:27 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
True.

I find it difficult to imagine how a person can enjoy playing a game for thousands of hours, however. A couple of hundred or so is a limit for me, even with a very good game.


With racing sims you need a fair bit of seat time to build and maintain competence.

Each car handles a bit different unless they use the exact same physics values, so to get the most out of different cars it helps to have a high degree of familiarity.

Usually with road courses I'll put in a few hours of practice, with ovals I tend to just give myself 30 minutes.


_________________
“Anyone who wants to thwart the establishment of a Palestinian state has to support bolstering Hamas and transferring money to Hamas, this is part of our strategy” —Netanyahu
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う
The core principle of conservatism is "Rules protect, but do not bind me. They bind, but do not protect you."


blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,787
Location: United Kingdom

07 Mar 2024, 5:34 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
True.

I find it difficult to imagine how a person can enjoy playing a game for thousands of hours, however. A couple of hundred or so is a limit for me, even with a very good game.


With racing sims you need a fair bit of seat time to build and maintain competence.

Each car handles a bit different unless they use the exact same physics values, so to get the most out of different cars it helps to have a high degree of familiarity.

Usually with road courses I'll put in a few hours of practice, with ovals I tend to just give myself 30 minutes.


I think the closest I have come to playing a racing sim is probably Dirt 2.0 (2017 release, I think). It definitely wasn't arcade like, but I am sure there are more accurate racing sims out there than that one.