Sensory Issues for Aspies with Console Games

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 6:29 am

I wonder if anyone else has the same issues with playing console games that I do? (apart from the obvious one of not having grown up with them).

The noises some of them make (including the music) drive me to distraction and the only way I could ever play them is with the sound completely turned down. I also find it too hard to concentrate on playing the game is the music and noises are so loud.

One game that does have nice music is Lumines and another is Flushed Away. Sappy Feet has really good graphics and music but is a bit too soppy for me.

It seems strange to me that so many aspies seem to like console games when they can be so loud and have flashing bright colours but I can also see that they appeal to us because we have some sense of control over the game (often illusory because they can cheat like crazy).

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Liopleurodon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jun 2008, 6:51 am

Yes, I spend a lot of time on World of Warcraft and The Sims 2 but I can't play at all with the sound on. My girlfriend doesn't understand it because she finds that the sound effects actually help her play. I just find they make it impossible, because they demand all of my concentration and override anything visual coming in.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 7:06 am

Some noises on games don't bother me but another thing that gets old fast for me is when a particular character keeps saying the same catchphrase/s over and over. This is especially if they have an annoying voice. That's another reason I must have the sound way down or even muted.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 6:55 pm

am autie/not aspie but have severe sensory problems which do affect gaming [and tv].
am just mute the sound and use the subtitle option,its not good that some games still dont have a sub option though, like assassins creed,was able to play that for a while without subs,until there was a bit which completely stopped it.

a good site to check before buying a game [if subs are very important] is http://www.deafgamers.com click on whichever console have and then the game,they give reviews,as well as whether they have subs or not.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 8:30 pm

I don't have any issue with sensory input from any game, PC or console...

On the other hand, the content of the games has been getting really small...

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Jun 2008, 8:50 pm

no problems, then again, after a while i feel dizzy, not connected to AS i dont think???

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 11:11 pm

I've never really had a problem, but there are some modern games where characters will repeat the same thing over and over that gets on my nerves >_<

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 7:11 am

I have the opposite problem, which is also sensory. If I'd turn off the sounds, I cannot continue playing because I can't concentrate, fidget, twitch badly and I get overwhelmed and can't talk or read (or press the correct buttons any more). I really don't know why all my senses need input. When there's no music on a game, I have to turn on other music/sound.

So I can imagine that other people experience an over-stimulation by video game music/flashes/and so on. Makes sense actually, because even non-autistic people get annoyed and irritated by some few video game sounds.

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 12:42 am

I like to have the sound at a slightly louder level, especially in games like call of duty 4. I have surround sound for my TV I use for gaming, this is so I can hear enemies/ other players sneaking up from behind. Also, in car racing games, such as need for speed, I like the sound cranked up in that, cause I love the sounds of a nicely tuned big-block or rotary motor.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 5:22 am

I dont like loud music and most of the time I find music destrats me, but with video games I enjoy the music, I have some very fond memories of them. Some games with good music are Gears of War, Halo and some games add a level of atmosphere that is needed like in Doom3, that game I usualy turn it down but then you might miss things. That is my other reason is that you often need the sound to know what is going on like in again Halo and Gears of War as hearing a sound can pinpoint where an enemy is and this is actualy one of my skills. Though there are some things that anoy me like Spiderman3's music was repetitive, in some games the quotes are repetitive and anoying but it is getting better. I can stand it when the sound is down, it is like my senses are weakend and I find it hard to get in the mode, but the sound is part of the experience, like thinking off my head in the BanjoKazooie games and Kingdom Hearts. There are some bloody good sound effects out today, but when I play my Gameboy or DS I often turn the sound down mostly to conserve power, done that ever since I played Pokemon on Gameboy.

I just remembered that I can not stand the sound of Singstar, that and eyetoy always give me a headache.

darkwhispersdale
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2008, 5:04 pm

Some game music does annoy me and I have to mute it the Sims2 is one of them.

Joeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2008, 5:24 pm

I've learned to concentrate on several things at the same time while gaming.
Normally, I use peripheral vision to see the entire screen; Spot the enemies and pow. :P
I use my ears to listen for telltale sounds, like rockets being fired, chainguns roaring, or grenade explosions; Hear it coming, you might be able to survive.(Sticking vehicles with Plasma grenades!)
I communicate information to my team, and listen to what they say; "I've got the bomb" or "I need a pickup" can make a world of difference to a match, if you'll just say it. :P
I like to play a practice match before getting into it, just to refresh myself on using every possible button to do every possible thing. Ensuring that you're aware of the Grenade Trigger and Melee button can make a pair of enemies look a lot less threatening.

And that's just for FPS, let alone all the other Genres I play. :lol:

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 3:31 am

I use simular stratagies to you in Halo, but I find that I am the one mostl doing these things, it is hard to get people that will team up properly. I remember one when I was playing griffball and I found it is good if you keep at least one spotter and communicating towards each other. I like what you said about the grenades, often it is a good way to comunicate, or even way to trick people with distractions, grenades are a usefule tool for manipulating things. Also it is a good idea to listen out for rockets just if you could be getting targeted or sniper riffle as you may need to be on your edge.

Joeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2008, 11:58 am

Sometimes, I wish I could just tackle another team of four with just one other person, or just myself.
Someone I play with dropped out of a 2v2 game due to connection, and we were losing by a couple points. I managed to come back, with some gorgeous double kills, to win the game, 1v2.
Every sound, as you say, gives you an edge if you recognize it. Great stuff.

We should play together sometime. :D

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 4:19 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
I dont like loud music and most of the time I find music destrats me, but with video games I enjoy the music, I have some very fond memories of them. Some games with good music are Gears of War, Halo and some games add a level of atmosphere that is needed like in Doom3, that game I usualy turn it down but then you might miss things. That is my other reason is that you often need the sound to know what is going on like in again Halo and Gears of War as hearing a sound can pinpoint where an enemy is and this is actualy one of my skills. Though there are some things that anoy me like Spiderman3's music was repetitive, in some games the quotes are repetitive and anoying but it is getting better. I can stand it when the sound is down, it is like my senses are weakend and I find it hard to get in the mode, but the sound is part of the experience, like thinking off my head in the BanjoKazooie games and Kingdom Hearts. There are some bloody good sound effects out today, but when I play my Gameboy or DS I often turn the sound down mostly to conserve power, done that ever since I played Pokemon on Gameboy.

I just remembered that I can not stand the sound of Singstar, that and eyetoy always give me a headache.

Another game with good sound is Call of Duty 4. The sounds of the guns sound like the real ones and the explosions in surround sound are amazing.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Sep 2008, 4:40 pm

I always need constant sound, so it doesn't bother me, and I think would feel awkward without the sound, unless I was talking or something. And, I love a lot of different video game music. I can't play very many FPS's, though I get nauseous. I don't like them much anyway though. =X