Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 4:47 pm

Teh, most of my favorite games aren't well known by the public, just by video game critics who have been in the industry for a while. Many of these have fanbases, and are basically cult classics, but most haven't heard of them.

Arcanum: REALLY kickass RPG with a world that clashes steampunk tech with magic. Highly recommended for fans of Fallout and Planescape and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. BUT MAKE SURE TO DOWNLOAD THE PATCH IMMEDIATELY OR YOUR SAVE GAMES WILL BE LOST. The game in its shipped form is buggy as hell, but the patch fixes a lot. Though the main plot isn't that great and the combat could be better, it remains one of the finest RPG's of its kind thanks to its unique setting, highly entertaining writing, and the sheer vastness of its world. There are countless side quests and many of them a lot of fun. You can always choose who your character reacts to things in dialogue as well, naturally.

Grim Fandango: this was a classic graphic adventure from the makers of Monkey Island. Took place in the Mexican Land of the Dead. Fantastic characters, story, humor, setting, visual style, etc.

Oddworld series: My favorite is Abe's Exoddus. Who knew that a puzzle-solving sidescroller where you play some blue dude trying to save his race could be SO much fun? Look it up. Seriously.

Planescape: Torment: Again, just a really kickass RPG. It's old, but so good that it's made some who have played it say, "This game ruined all other RPG's for me, because they all seem terrible in comparison. It's THAT good."

Psychonauts: this game is just hilarious and fun and kickass. You dive into people's minds, see their dreamscapes. Every level is just insanely awesome, and often humorous. Lovely visual style--think Pixar mixed with Tim Burton.

Quest for Glory series: they used to be prolific but they've been lost to time for many of the younger gamers. They cross adventure with RPG. My favorite is Quest for Glory V: Dragon Fire, the last one in the series. Very funny, great characters, great dialogue, great story, fun gameplay, lots to do...it's just grand.

Silver: this RPG has somehow been lost as well (I'm not even sure it can be bought anymore--it was damn hard finding a good screenshot), but I don't know why. It's so much fun. It still has some of my most favorite swordfighting action ever in an RPG.

The Longest Journey series: "The Longest Journey" and "Dreamfall" are two of the best non-LucasArts adventure games ever to be made. Crow FTW!

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 9:41 am

Locomotion on the Amiga

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZplmWRWEPU&feature=related

What a game. They don't make them like that anymore.

Eel_Nadroj
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Aug 2008, 1:54 pm

I really like Sega Mega CD games like Sonic the hedgehog CD, Lunar silver star and eternal blue, shining force CD and Popful mail. But those aren't that obscure ummm I would also have to say old rpgs for the sega megadrive(genesis) like shining force II, Phantasy star I threw IV, Landstalker and old japanese famicom and super famicom games like their version of altered beast and Asmik kun land

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 2:43 pm

Eel_Nadroj wrote:
shining force CD

Too bad you can't beat the game without a RAM Cart =/

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 5:36 pm

The Longest Journey had one of the most obtuse puzzles in an adventure game I have ever played. It was not in the slightest bit intuitive and required that you ran around pixel hunting over multiple areas and combining items in the most illogical manner. I found the 'puzzle' so irritating that it stopped me from playing through the rest of the game. A pity since I had enjoyed the game up to that point, mostly for its excellent writing and voice acting.

[SPOILER ALERT]The puzzle in question involved a rubber duck, a set of pliers and a piece of string, if I recall correctly, and you had to combine the items, all of which were spread out over multiple unrelated areas of the city, to make a fishing line sort of contraption. You used this to pick up a key on a railtrack in one part of town that for some unexplained reason is the key to a lock at a totally different end of town. Utterly ridiculous, I don't know how anyone is supposed to work that out using logic.

Eel_Nadroj
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Aug 2008, 6:02 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Eel_Nadroj wrote:
shining force CD

Too bad you can't beat the game without a RAM Cart =/

yea and thoose damn things are not only rare but expensive

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 8:21 pm

Le_Samourai wrote:
MDK-It has its fans, and did well enough to get a sequel (Which was great too BTW), but it never got the love it deserved. Had great gameplay, fun weapons (The world's most interesting bomb FTW!), and was very funny.

It came free in a mag not so long ago, damn, it was fun :)

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 12:58 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
The Longest Journey had one of the most obtuse puzzles in an adventure game I have ever played. It was not in the slightest bit intuitive and required that you ran around pixel hunting over multiple areas and combining items in the most illogical manner. I found the 'puzzle' so irritating that it stopped me from playing through the rest of the game. A pity since I had enjoyed the game up to that point, mostly for its excellent writing and voice acting.

[SPOILER ALERT]The puzzle in question involved a rubber duck, a set of pliers and a piece of string, if I recall correctly, and you had to combine the items, all of which were spread out over multiple unrelated areas of the city, to make a fishing line sort of contraption. You used this to pick up a key on a railtrack in one part of town that for some unexplained reason is the key to a lock at a totally different end of town. Utterly ridiculous, I don't know how anyone is supposed to work that out using logic.

Hahah, I know what you mean. I ended up using a walkthrough. I'm used to those sorts of puzzles in adventure games--Grim Fandango had some pretty obtuse ones too.