Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What type of old school gaming do you like the most?
Amiga, Atari, Arcade stuff 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Classical PC gaming 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
Old Nintendo and Sega (NES, SNES, Genesis) 66%  66%  [ 19 ]
Old gameboy and gameboy color 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 29

Hbomb89
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Sep 2008, 9:09 pm

What do you think of when you think of Old School gaming and games?

What games do you like?

When I think of Old School, I think of anything pre-Saturn, N64 and PS1 consoles and games.

For PC games, anything before 2000 is old school. (Dune 2, Duke Nuke'em, Sim City, Sim City 2000, Sim Tower, Yoot Tower, C&C, C&C Red Alert 1, Civilization, Civilization II, ext)

"Strangers are like poop, if you mess with them, you'll stink." -Stuart Larkin

"I'm a people person." - Azula

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 9:24 pm

Old school game systems could be considered ones that don't support component video which includes the Nintendo 64.

Video game systems like the NES, SNES, and N64 look terrible on an HDTV, but the games look great on the Wii Virtual Console with the component cables. However, some N64 games still look good and don't seem a whole lot different from newer games.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 10:18 pm

Huh? I was under the impression all consoles supported component cable. I have a component cable for my old SNES, even. Whether it makes a difference to visual quality is another matter though.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 10:24 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Huh? I was under the impression all consoles supported component cable. I have a component cable for my old SNES, even. Whether it makes a difference to visual quality is another matter though.

Not natively... Are you confusing component and composite?

Although low resolution screen modes (e.g. 320X240) are progressive scan IIRC, so I wonder if they don't look better than they should on an HDTV as compared to a 480i signal...

Jacaen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Sep 2008, 11:22 pm

Hmm, this might not be considered old school, but anyway... I recently bought Crash Bandicoot (the first one!) on my PS3. I used to rent that game all the time *_*. I never realized how hard it was, jeez! I practically beat Crash Bandicoot 2 in one day, but it's taking me a while to get all those freaking gems in the first one... Games back then were a bit more challenging and time consuming than they are now. I miss that...

I have entire US collections of NES, GB, SNES, Genesis, and N64 roms. I think some of the emulators have net play *hinthintwinkwink*.

Hbomb89
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2008, 1:00 am

Now that I think of it, some of the obscure titles like Kung Fu, Rush 'n Attack, Silkworm, Super Bonk, Super Ninja Boys, Earth Defense Force, Carrier Air Wing, U.N. Squadron (from the Area 88 anime) were actually pretty fun and challenging.

Unsung video games titles give the older systems the charm that the newer consoles lack.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 1:11 am

Nope, just checked and the cable I have for my SNES is definitely component, with three inputs for video and two for audio. I imported this one from America on ebay, I know my Australian version I had ages ago had only an RF cable.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 1:46 am

Who makes that cable? The first system with a Nintendo brand component cable was the Gamecube. It had an entirely new and separate port on the back from the one which was used for composite video.

The composite port was still used for the audio, and it was the same as the SNES and N64.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 6:15 am

i like playing the sonic games on the sega mega drive (called the genesis in USA but in australia it was called mega drive)

Game on was fun. There was an exibition in Melbourne at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image a few months back where they had playable classic consoles and modern ones too.
it was interesting to watch the adults playing the old school consoles and the kids would be playing them too then see the modern games and go straight for them.

As for me i tried out all sorts of games.
i enjoying playing Mario 64 and Sonic the Hedgehog.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 8:28 am

tie between classic NES and classic PC gaming...

Hbomb89
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2008, 9:34 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
tie between classic NES and classic PC gaming...

When I mean classical PC gaming, I mean games like Duke Nuke'em, Quake, Dune 2, Sim City classic, Sim City 2000, Sim Tower, Yoot Tower, Sim Earth, C&C: Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert 1, Warcraft 1 and 2, ext.

Stuff before the Sims, Red Alert 2 and Half-Life 1 basically

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 10:00 am

i heard about them making a sequel to duke nukem 3D.
it has been 10 years in the making so far. still not finished yet.

I remember playing a game where you build a city and keep it running. it was for PC and i can't remember its name. City Simulator?

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 11:14 am

I voted NES.

NES-Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 2, Zelda, some other games that I can't remember the name

N64-Super Smash Bros., Mario Party, Donkey Kong Racing

I also like the old Sonic games and Spiderman for the NES.

khelben1979
Toucan
Toucan

20 Sep 2008, 3:14 pm

I voted Amiga, although I actually enjoy playing old C64 games more.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 8:04 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Nope, just checked and the cable I have for my SNES is definitely component, with three inputs for video and two for audio. I imported this one from America on ebay, I know my Australian version I had ages ago had only an RF cable.

Wow. Never heard of that. :!:

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 12:36 am

I have no idea who made the cable, but it is definitely third party as it came in its own packaging when I got the SNES.