anyone else here play tribalwars.net

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 1:37 pm

i've played the game for a few years now, i can't remember the exact date but it was before world four came about...

after quitting some time ago i've restarted and wondered if anyone else plays, after searching for several people i used to know on the game i came up empty and woud like a couple of allies to help make the game more fun and less obsessive.

Palmans
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Dec 2008, 3:01 pm

Hey, I've played it once. But I've played several server rounds of Travian, which is a very similar game. Played 3rd (of 10000) on my own. Most high ranking accounts are played by multiple players, but I couldn't stand sharing my account with others. A typical game lasts for about 6 months. People that play it the way I did are called no-lifers. To me, it was one of the greatest periods of my life.

I quited playing because that one round I was ranked 3rd I played 16 hours a day and more (5x speed server) and that is the only ("clean") way to get such high ranking. I have coded several bots and greasemonkey scripts to assist me in the game, the ultimate goal in doing that was the creation of an AI player. I got pretty far, but it's not allowed to play bots and people don't understand my reasons to do it. People think it's unfair to use bots. To me it seems there is more merit in being able to code a bot then there is in doing 3500 clicks every day. The possibilities of my account were no diffirent then those of any other account, and the top accounts are only top accounts because they are playing the account 24/7 with several people or they are using bots. I'm not able to play with duals, i've tried it, but I get angry and frustrated within the first few days. So to me it seems fair that I have my account running 24/7 using bots... I'm an aspie, what can I say? ;)

As it's impossible to get recognition as a top player because of the bots, I took a hard decision last summer, and quited the game after playing it for 3 years (using my bots i was able to play top 100 with no more then 3 hours of actual playing)

----------

I have had the idea of creating a similar game myself. What I want is a game that is somewhat more complex in gameplay and in which scripting itself is embedded. One would be able to play manually too of course. When you click an icon or a link in Travian (in any game), you trigger some code. The total of all available links makes the game logic. When you start scripting, what you do is no more then buidling sequences of links to trigger, capturing and interpreting the displayed results. It sounds very simple but it isn't. You try to get a grip on the total of all thoughts in your head that lead to decisions and actions. It's fascinating and if scripting would be available to or be used by all players, the fight would be on a totally diffirent level.

The people that I have been talking to about this idea think that there is not much future in it. Those that play would not be interested in coding and those that code would not be interested in playing. Maybe they are right, maybe not. Do I want hundreds of games servers with thousands of players? Would it be possible to find 10000 people worldwide that play on one server? I don't know. I wouldn't do it for the money, however, it would be nice if I wouldn't have to leave the house every day, just to get overwhelmed by the world. I don't have much needs, except being alone, being left alone.

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 3:09 pm

your idea sounds good but with one fatal flaw, the average gamer isn't good enough for it yet ;)

most people are interested in games where all you do is the 3500 clicks a day and not have to think about it, that's why games (and films) these days aren't as good as the ones five or ten years ago, people aren't interested in thinking anymore.