Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 7:12 am

Dont believe me? Ask me to help you with anything and i will help with my own experience. Mods should stick this thread.

EDIT: may i merely point out, this has gone off subject. I may not have been clear, but i was intending to see how many people i could help. Please direct questions to me.

Last edited by Starrsy on 04 Apr 2009, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 9:12 am

Ok well I would like to ask for the best stratergies you have for dealing with Giant Scorpians, Mr Gutsy and those bear and cat things, I am somtimes not sure what strategy to use against them and they can be surprisingly dangerous.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 10:04 am

I'm not sure which magnificent strategy Starrsy uses, I personally shoot 'em in wherever I get the highest percentage until they're dead. But with the Giant Scorpion and Yao Guai/Deathclaw, taking the high ground so they can't reach you helps to more easily dispatch them. Also laying some frag/bottle mines in their paths will greatly increase the speed in which you dispatch of them.

The Mr. Gutsy problem isn't so easy, small arms don't hurt 'em very effectively and they float right over mines, also they can hit you if you take the high ground because they have ranged weapons. Robots are weaker against energy weapons, laser/plasma guns, however a well thrown pulse grenade will usually sort them out in short order. Pulse mines work great for those robots that don't fly.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

HelloMeD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2009, 10:16 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Ok well I would like to ask for the best stratergies you have for dealing with Giant Scorpians, Mr Gutsy and those bear and cat things, I am somtimes not sure what strategy to use against them and they can be surprisingly dangerous.

the scorpions if you see them soon enought soften um up by walking backwards and planting mines as you do so then hit them with the combat shotgun if they are the giant veraity it is easyer to do.

as for the "bear cat things" do them like the death claws shoot them in the leg in V.A.T.S untill they cant leep at you or run. I think they are call somthin ogwui or somthing like that.

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 1:12 pm

Bradleigh wrote:

Giant radscorpions, or regualr, whichever one, run back and use mines as that other cat said. Bottlecap Mines work surprisingly well.

"Bear cat things" Or Yao Guai, You should use dart guns, as they instantly take out any enemies legs, Slowing them greatly. When available, grab yourself the "Animal Friend" perk. Meaning Yao Guai Become peaceful toward you.

Mister Gutsy, Or any other form of robot, can be tackled easily with traps or hills. Traps, they can be things like dropping pulse mines (Made for robots) on a corner, the hidin on the other side. They will run into the mine, thus blowin their nuts off. Running backwards up a hill will cause problems for Mister Gutsy, as they seem to have trouble firin upwards. They can fire towards you, but accuracy seems dropped. If this doesnt work, i will consult online FAQ's. Merely post and tell me what did and didnt work.

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 2:51 pm

Starrsy wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:

Giant radscorpions, or regualr, whichever one, run back and use mines as that other cat said. Bottlecap Mines work surprisingly well.

"Bear cat things" Or Yao Guai, You should use dart guns, as they instantly take out any enemies legs, Slowing them greatly. When available, grab yourself the "Animal Friend" perk. Meaning Yao Guai Become peaceful toward you.

Mister Gutsy, Or any other form of robot, can be tackled easily with traps or hills. Traps, they can be things like dropping pulse mines (Made for robots) on a corner, the hidin on the other side. They will run into the mine, thus blowin their nuts off. Running backwards up a hill will cause problems for Mister Gutsy, as they seem to have trouble firin upwards. They can fire towards you, but accuracy seems dropped. If this doesnt work, i will consult online FAQ's. Merely post and tell me what did and didnt work.

Well, I'll have to agree with the tactics for Mister Gutsy. Though, when you think about it, normally you will see Mr. Gutsy's at Enclave Outposts if I can correct. When I take those out, what I like to do, is lay a few mines(Frag or Bottlecaps work well.) stand back, and use a Hunting Rifle or Sniper to take out the officers and soldiers, and then wait for the Mister Gutsy(If you see one plant a Pulse Mine somewhere ahead of you.) and start moving.

For Deathclaws and Yao Guai, I would suggest retreating to a distance and using either a dart gun as Starrsy suggested, or a Hunting Rifle with VATS. If you spot one while moving, drop backwards and keep at a distance, plant a mine of some sort. Once you are far away, either shoot the Yao Guai or Deathclaw so that it heads towards the trip mine, or you can attempt to shoot the trip mine, which can grab it's attention but will not actually make it head straight towards you. Although, it's good to remember that Deathclaws and Yao Guai's are not as slow as they look...

Just to give Starrsy a hand, I will post about the tactics I use to take out different enemies...

Super Mutants: One of the most common enemies on the game, these are pretty easy to take out, and I'd suggest that you stay at a distance and use a Hunting Rifle or Combat Shotgun. Another good trick with Super Mutants is to use grenades often. They might not be that good, but they can do a load of damage, so I'd suggest keeping a few spare grenades.

Raiders: Mines, Combat Shotgun, Hunting Rifle, that's pretty much it with Raiders for me.

HelloMeD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2009, 4:58 pm

aww what the heck just use the MIRV that does the trick on everything. I just suggest you keep your distance.
if you want to find the mirv you have to go to five locations to get the diary's of five people I don't have the locations in any manner that would be useful for you considering I looked on U tube to find the location and then wrote the names of places and the general location than searched based on the map location they showed. there is few guilty pleasures than blasting megaton with a megaton of mini-nukes eight of them at a time no more no less.

The dart gun blue prints can be found out in a fenced area power station or power relay in the north west area of the map just go around looking for all of the little markers on your compass in that vicinity. that way you can actually use the suggestion of using the dart gun considering you have to build it and the specs are not very prevalent to find.

If you like the rock-it launcher is a good little slap job lobber. It doesn't fire rockets it is rather a vacuum sounding heavy weapon that lobs any misc object you come across in the field and fires it with pretty impressive damage(nothing like a raider being splattered across the wastelands with one hit to the head.) It ain't accurate but you can find the specs at the crater side supply and do the missions finding all the parts rather than paying for them sooner than most of the weapons and the ammo is reusable and everywhere . It also is effective against the for mentioned beasties as it does tremendous damage and if you got like 30 or 50 and so on of Items that you queued into it as ammo than you can keep wailing away without a reloading often like most weapons that do the monster damage need.

Camera
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Apr 2009, 1:43 am

1.use the terrible shotgun upclose and fire for an instant kills, works great but needs to be repaired and using up ammo fast is another problem

2.DONT use big guns in VATS all the time if you need to hold down the fire button.. you would be just be wasting ammo,time,health,and action points.
Having 100 in big guns+minigun=anything is dead in less then 3 seconds.

3.use a sniper rifle and get a sneak kill from it. helpful if your partner is distracting the enemy but also a problem since it could also blow away your cover

4.if an enemy if right by something that's explosive, shoot at the explosive thing. Better than wasting your ammo and it could kill more than one person/thing.

5.hack computers to turn off the turrents. Saves ammo and time from not firing at the turrents.

6.Shoot at the head for critical hits. VATS dose help and there is a perk to make it easier to shoot at the head.

7.shoot at the legs for NPCS with heavy armor, dont know why but NPC's with heavy armor seem to get killed easier that way.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Apr 2009, 3:44 pm

Starrsy wrote:
Dont believe me? Ask me to help you with anything and i will help with my own experience. Mods should stick this thread.

You're 13 and your parents let you play a M-rated game... like Fallout 3? WTF? What kind of parents do you have?

The former things have passed away."

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 10:22 pm

kxmode wrote:
Starrsy wrote:

You're 13 and your parents let you play a M-rated game... like Fallout 3? WTF? What kind of parents do you have?

They aren't the scared senseless kind that believe a movie or game will turn their child into a killing machine.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 2:41 pm

mikebw wrote:
kxmode wrote:
Starrsy wrote:

They aren't the scared senseless kind that believe a movie or game will turn their child into a killing machine.

You do realise M stands for Mature. It's not an age thing, it's how mature you are.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 3:03 pm

I've always had good luck using the combat shotgun, or later the terrible shotgun, on yao gui and giant rad scorpions, they seem to do more damage than normal to those enemies. I also like the laser rifle for the yao gui if their at a distance, I often get a vaporizing crit before they get anywhere near me. I went and got the alien blaster pretty early in the game, then used it to go into the deathclaw sanctuary and grab the vengeance gatling laser, which turns just about anything into smoking ashes before you can even think about taking your finger off the trigger. Its a bit of an ammo hog, so I made a point of buying up electron charge packs early whenever I saw them, since I knew I was going to be using that weapon.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 4:44 pm

One thing I always do early on is complete "The Replicated Man" in Rivet City. If you complete it such that you reveal the android's true identity to himself and kill Zimmer, the android will give you his unique plasma rifle (you can get this long before ever encountering the Enclave or getting to a level where enemies carry them, and you can usually buy MF cells off of Flak and Shrapnel in Rivet City)...

I usually carry that plasma rifle, a combat shotgun (there's a shotgun trap you can find while doing "The Replicated Man"), and an assault rifle/chinese assault rifle (you can get one on a Super Mutant Brute or occasionally a Talon merc). Later on, when I "liberate" Paradise Falls (I have not once joined the slavers there), I get a scoped 44 magnum off of Eulogy's corpse...

For tactics:
-I charge Super Mutants, humanoids, and slow animals with the shotgun (always aiming for headshots)...
-I use the assault rifle and plasma rifle at medium range against Super Mutant Masters and any humanoid with a minigun...
-Against animals that charge the player (i.e. radscorpions, yao guai, and deatlclaws), I back up, firing the plasma rifle at the legs (or the stinger for the scorpion), and switch to combat shotgun as they close in range...
-When my small guns skill reaches 100, a perfectly repaired (or near-perfect) Scoped 44 Magnum can perform headshots at great distance, but unlike the sniper rifle is still effective at hold-out ranges and has a decent fire rate, with virtually no spread (and no sway while using the scope). I will still use the shotgun at close range against animals that charge the player, but at this point I usually ditch the plasma rifle and assault rifle... Overall this tactic got a lot more viable after the release of The Pitt, since that DLC pack offers the use of an "ammo press" that can convert any kind of physical ammo or scrap metal into any other kind of physical ammo (though not any energy weapon ammo)... so I can dump the ammo types I don't use and solve the ammo shortage that any magnum user is bound to have...

Space
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 10:19 pm

I am about half way through the main quest and I just stopped playing. Is it worth it to continue to beat it for the story?

HelloMeD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Apr 2009, 5:28 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I've always had good luck using the combat shotgun, or later the terrible shotgun, on yao gui and giant rad scorpions, they seem to do more damage than normal to those enemies. I also like the laser rifle for the yao gui if their at a distance, I often get a vaporizing crit before they get anywhere near me. I went and got the alien blaster pretty early in the game, then used it to go into the deathclaw sanctuary and grab the vengeance gatling laser, which turns just about anything into smoking ashes before you can even think about taking your finger off the trigger. Its a bit of an ammo hog, so I made a point of buying up electron charge packs early whenever I saw them, since I knew I was going to be using that weapon.

speaking of alien blaster how do you find more ammo for the alien blaster anyhow, cause after finding the crash site and the ammos scattered around the corps I couldent find any anywhere else.

and what level do you have to be to start finding the terrable shotgun?

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 6:58 am

HelloMeD, you can find them at a crater west of Jury Metro Station. There are around 21 on the road south from Raven Rock too.

If you go to Fort Independence, you should find two ammo crates near some Outcasts. In the lower levels there should be an overturned Nuka Cola machine. Go up to that and then go down the stairs nearby. If you have the Scrounger Perk, you will get around 2-122 Fuel Cells, if you don't, you will most likely get around 2-22.