Most games do not give me what I crave.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ThePerfectionist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2019, 10:17 am

I find that most games to not provide me with the perfect gaming experience that I seek. They just don't click with me on a high level because in order to please me they need to have a certain complexity and style that most games are no longer willing to go to. However, there are select games that come close. I want a game with complex, difficult, and multidimensional combat that takes place in real time. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is very satisfying because it has this as well as a very cool game environment that is satisfying. HOWEVER it lacks the puzzles that I enjoy in other games and this makes it not perfect. With puzzles (and environment, music, and general tone) Zelda Ocarina Of Time takes the cake and is the closest to the ideal game that a game can achieve. I'd like to have a game like that except harder combat, Breath of the wild which I have not played seems promising. As for story/lore- I think Skyrim excelled in this because it had so much to it in that respect that the world seemed alive. I think many games have much to learn from Skyrim and vice versa. What I HATE is basic FPS games, but I enjoyed the GTA V multiplayer due to the nice sense of progression in it, however my ideal game would be single player. I like stealth but only so much as it makes the game interesting, like in Dues Ex and Splinter Cell. The first Dark Souls had an awesome level design. As for future games, Cyberpunk has my eyes and hopes.

The setting I would like to see some games in are-

A vaporwave themed game with a dreamlike atmosphere, kind of like Super Mario 64 with the palace hub world except this hub world is a mall and all the shops are the various levels.

A game made in the style of Grand Theft Auto, Saints Row, ect. but set in a fantasy world with magic and swords and all that. You could hikack dragons.

A more nighttime set game with tron bikes in a very detailed and gritty cyberpunk anime looking city (this may actually be a thing soon.)

A Japanese type Skyrim with the game world scale.

And of course all of these would be made with what I would put into my ideal game.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 10:21 am

My perfect game would be any of the games you mentioned being played out on a real holodeck -- the ultimate immersive experience..

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ThePerfectionist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2019, 10:44 am

Fnord wrote:
My perfect game would be any of the games you mentioned being played out on a real holodeck -- the ultimate immersive experience..

It is actually one of my ambitions to invent the first real functioning holodeck. My major in college is electrical engineering so I am actually working towards it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 10:56 am

ThePerfectionist wrote:
Fnord wrote:
It is actually one of my ambitions to invent the first real functioning holodeck. My major in college is electrical engineering so I am actually working towards it.
The "science" behind the holodeck is gravimetrics -- the creation and projection of gravity fields to simulate matter. Replicator technology might also have something to do with it, but that would not explain the impermanence of a holodeck object outside of the holodeck without a mobile projector.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 May 2019, 12:30 pm

I gave up on console gaming during the era of the PlayStation 2. Ever since, 100% of my gaming intake has been PC point-and-click adventure games. Likewise, I value a rich story, three-dimensional characters, heavy atmosphere and sometimes a good sense of humor, and adventure games provide a fully immersive experience which always puts the story first, with puzzles which serve and support the narrative. Some of the deepest stories and most memorable characters I've seen in fiction have come from adventure games.

So, it may not be anything at all what you're describing, but for the most part, most games do not give me what I crave, either. I have to dig deeper into the independent side of things.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 12:41 pm

I still enjoy tabletop role-playing games. My imagination is much more vivid than any PC or gaming console will ever be.

Plus, I can often write my own "scripts" and see how others play them out.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 4:46 pm

OoT is one of my favorite games. I love Zelda games and never can wait until they release the next one. BotW is great! I highly recommend it! The graphics are beautiful, the music is subtle, and overall, it feels very immersive. The only thing I found disappointing is the temples themselves. Still, the amount of exploring and attention to detail is something I haven’t experienced in any other game to this extent.

If I could play games like that in a holodeck, I’d never leave which would be extremely problematic...

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 4:48 pm

Fnord wrote:
I still enjoy tabletop role-playing games. My imagination is much more vivid than any PC or gaming console will ever be.

Plus, I can often write my own "scripts" and see how others play them out.

I never had an opportunity to play one. I need to try it sometime. I love fantasy.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 7:04 pm

I have watched a fair share of game development videos on YouTube, one of the key things I came across was the not to be too ambitious, and most game design should usually work around getting a core mechanic down, rather than having a multi-mechanic idea of several different series, and trying to have it fit a game idea. Apparently those really complex idea end up having a lot more bugs in development, and the end result can be disappointing. Like say if you wanted GTA but fantasy and dragon mounts, it might sound like a simple request, but it probably would not get long before the realizations set in, like how a dragon should act differently from a car, and how the world should be laid out to be logical, where those things have rather simple explanations for normal GTA, and that game still had a killer budget.

Sekiro is cool, but you would probably have been surprised by how much work would have been required to add in the puzzle aspect that you would want. You mentioned BotW, and that game is very specific of fairly simple mechanics that the player can improve on, and things like a physics engine that facilitates puzzles, and no disruption to the game feel.

As for a type of game that I crave, I want something with a well thought out game economy, where you can have an impact and improve things economically, preferably more fantasy. I don't want just a farm simulator, the likes of Fable games are good to see an expansion of your wealth by owning property, but there is no real consequences to things. One of the things I have been into lately has been Skyrim mods where I can build a business, seeing a mine increase, and feel like I am having an impact in a way other than just killing things. I would like to see other games, and not just a 'god game', where rewards can be improvements and building to a settlement.

As it stands, one of the things I have been quite into for a good while for D&D had been quantifying a good amount of economic aspects. A part being the understanding of there being several type of smiths, rather than a single one that does every metal work. And finding out economic quirks of fantasy races was surprisingly difficult.

PickTheFlower
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 May 2019, 3:47 pm

If you're looking for deep games that make you think look up havester games. The cat lady ,downfall, they're point and click with plots that have depression, suicide, etc.