Page 11 of 53 [ 835 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 53  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 10:44 am

Grassroots organization launches to help parents fight 'woke indoctrination' in schools

Quote:
A new organization is launching to "empower" parents in the fight against "woke indoctrination" in K-12 education – adding to the growing backlash to the rise of critical race theory and other controversial ideas spreading through U.S. schools.

Launched on Tuesday, the nonprofit membership association, dubbed Parents Defending Education (PDE), wants to hold officials accountable for politicizing classrooms.

PDE trains parents how to put schools and officials on the spot, gain media attention, get involved with school boards and other oversight bodies, and make sure the school knows there will be consequences for indoctrination and radicalism in the classroom."

Launched on Tuesday, the organization is led by founder Nicole Neily, who also serves as the president of Speech First, and journalist Asra Nomani, who previously wrote for The Wall Street Journal.

“Educators have a moral duty to teach our kids how to read, write, and think – not dictate what they must think. As parents, we must stand together to defend education, challenge radicalization and inspire our children with positive values."

Parents and other groups, such as Oregonians for Liberty in Education and Parents Against Critical Race Theory, have also been outspoken about the issue.

Proponents of these trainings and curricula have generally touted them as ways to address structural racism and enhance inclusion within different settings,

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 10:59 am

What if they had woke schools for parents that wanted that, and non-woke schools for parents that don't? I mean if parents have the option of sending their kids to public school vs. catholic school, should they have a woke vs. non-woke school option as well?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 6:52 pm

ironpony wrote:
What if they had woke schools for parents that wanted that, and non-woke schools for parents that don't? I mean if parents have the option of sending their kids to public school vs. catholic school, should they have a woke vs. non-woke school option as well?

Aren't those both the same things ??

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 8:46 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Grassroots organization launches to help parents fight 'woke indoctrination' in schools
Quote:
A new organization is launching to "empower" parents in the fight against "woke indoctrination" in K-12 education – adding to the growing backlash to the rise of critical race theory and other controversial ideas spreading through U.S. schools.

Launched on Tuesday, the nonprofit membership association, dubbed Parents Defending Education (PDE), wants to hold officials accountable for politicizing classrooms.

PDE trains parents how to put schools and officials on the spot, gain media attention, get involved with school boards and other oversight bodies, and make sure the school knows there will be consequences for indoctrination and radicalism in the classroom."

Launched on Tuesday, the organization is led by founder Nicole Neily, who also serves as the president of Speech First, and journalist Asra Nomani, who previously wrote for The Wall Street Journal.

“Educators have a moral duty to teach our kids how to read, write, and think – not dictate what they must think. As parents, we must stand together to defend education, challenge radicalization and inspire our children with positive values."

Parents and other groups, such as Oregonians for Liberty in Education and Parents Against Critical Race Theory, have also been outspoken about the issue.

Proponents of these trainings and curricula have generally touted them as ways to address structural racism and enhance inclusion within different settings,

A quick tour of the PDE website and the first thing they emboldened in big font Illinois School District Pays Speaker $175 A Minute To Criticize White People

That tells all I need to know about the PDE,

Once again the anti-woke movement seems to hide a racist agenda. I mean what normal non-white person would support this "so called" grassroots organisation :roll:

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 9:23 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
ironpony wrote:

No I meant a non-woke school vs. woke, I thought those were opposite things?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 2:25 am

ironpony wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
ironpony wrote:

non-woke = catholic.
woke = public.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 3:55 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

A quick tour of the PDE website and the first thing they emboldened in big font Illinois School District Pays Speaker $175 A Minute To Criticize White People

Once again the anti-woke movement seems to hide a racist agenda. I mean what normal non-white person would support this "so called" grassroots organisation :roll:

I looked at their PTE site and did not see that particular headline but I think you are referring to this Fox News story.
Illinois school district agreed to pay anti-racism speaker $10,500 for 1-hour talk: report
Quote:
Newly released documents show that an Illinois school district agreed to pay an anti-racism speaker $10,500 for an hour-long event for faculty and staff earlier this year.

A whistleblower reportedly informed the Federalist that diversity coach Dena Simmons told attendees at the Feb. 26 event that Americans were "spiritually murdering" students and that "our education is based on a foundation of whitness." Materials obtained by the outlet showed a slide describing "Make America Great Again," "denial of white privilege," and "colorblindness" as covert forms of White supremacy.

On Monday, The Federalist published the results of an open records request, which revealed the $10,500 price tag. That was on the lower end of Simmons' advertised range of $10,000-$20,000, but translated into a rate of $175 per minute.

News of Simmons' fee came amid a broader controversy over how public institutions – schools, in particular – were promoting ideas such as critical race theory.

Anti-racist speaker and author Ibram Kendi reportedly received at least $44,000 from Fairfax County Schools, including $20,000 for a one-hour lecture. In neighboring Loudoun County, the school system reportedly spent at least $500,000 on race programs.

Critical race theory-type programs generally involve discussions of White privilege, teaching that racism is "systemic," and other ideas.

That article was rather vanilla as was its description of what is being taught such as getting rid of one's inherently oppressive whiteness and white fragility. Christopher Rufo is doing investigative journalism about this topic.

That said critical race theory training is presenting a golden opportunity that white supremacists are taking advantage of. This is a serious and likely fatal impairment to fighting woke.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 4:16 am

Speaking of the investigative work of Mr. Rufo.
“Antiracism” Comes to the Heartland

Quote:
A middle school in Springfield, Missouri, recently held a diversity training program that forced teachers to locate themselves on an “oppression matrix” and watch a video of “George Floyd’s last words.”

According to whistleblower documents and teachers who attended the program at Cherokee Middle School, the training began with a “land acknowledgement,” claiming that “Springfield Public Schools is built on ancestral territory of the Osage, Delaware and Kickapoo Nations and Peoples.”

The trainers then forced the teachers to watch a nine-minute video of “George Floyd’s last words.” The film is silent, showing only white text on a black screen, illustrating Floyd’s final utterances, including his cries for his mother. Such videos are a common technique in many diversity-training programs—and cult indoctrination.

Even more cynically, diversity trainers such as those at Springfield Public Schools have begun to insist on a standard of “affirmative consent.” This means that teachers must not only accept the tenets of the training—in some cases even condemning themselves as white supremacists or oppressors—but also actively vocalize that acceptance.

Finally, after more than an hour of training, one white teacher, who was raised by a black stepfather, began pushing back, asking: “Is the district saying that we should be Marxists?”

He continued: “While I don’t think there’s a person in the room who doesn’t agree that this is an important topic that should be dealt with, the way that it’s being framed comes from Herbert Marcuse who took and stripped all of the economic policies of Marxist theory and turned it into [cultural Marxism]. . . . I grew up the son of a black man, he raised me to believe in Dr. King’s teachings. Dr. King did not teach the kind of vitriol that we see out of Marxism, [which] has a long replete history of countries being bigoted and prejudiced against others and then murdering millions as a result.”

The diversity trainers, both white, were stunned. At first, Sullivan acknowledged the Marxist orientation of the diversity training program. “I know that that’s the roots, I’m aware of all that information,” he said. Then, perhaps realizing that teaching Frankfurt School Marxism in a Missouri public school could be controversial, he distanced himself:

Many diversity-training programs—and the political movement known as Black Lives Matter—operate on the principle of bait and switch. Following Marcuse, they predicate their rhetoric on the “emotional anchor” of racial suffering, then use euphemisms to make their political arguments. In the Missouri training program, the school district proposes “empowerment” as the solution, which sounds anodyne, even appealing. However, in the documentation, the district defines “empowerment” as training students to “refuse to accept the dominant ideology and their subordinate status and take actions to redistribute social power more equitably.” The district defines a euphemism with more euphemisms, but the deeper meaning is clear: that American society is white supremacist and must be replaced with a regime of race-based redistribution.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 2:23 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
ironpony wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
ironpony wrote:

non-woke = catholic.
woke = public.

Oh yes, sorry, I see what you mean. But what if parents wanted to send their kids to a non-Catholic school that was also not woke?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 4:29 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

I looked at their PTE site and did not see that particular headline but I think you are referring to this Fox News story.
Illinois school district agreed to pay anti-racism speaker $10,500 for 1-hour talk: report
Quote:
Newly released documents show that an Illinois school district agreed to pay an anti-racism speaker $10,500 for an hour-long event for faculty and staff earlier this year.

A whistleblower reportedly informed the Federalist that diversity coach Dena Simmons told attendees at the Feb. 26 event that Americans were "spiritually murdering" students and that "our education is based on a foundation of whitness." Materials obtained by the outlet showed a slide describing "Make America Great Again," "denial of white privilege," and "colorblindness" as covert forms of White supremacy.

On Monday, The Federalist published the results of an open records request, which revealed the $10,500 price tag. That was on the lower end of Simmons' advertised range of $10,000-$20,000, but translated into a rate of $175 per minute.

News of Simmons' fee came amid a broader controversy over how public institutions – schools, in particular – were promoting ideas such as critical race theory.

Anti-racist speaker and author Ibram Kendi reportedly received at least $44,000 from Fairfax County Schools, including $20,000 for a one-hour lecture. In neighboring Loudoun County, the school system reportedly spent at least $500,000 on race programs.

Critical race theory-type programs generally involve discussions of White privilege, teaching that racism is "systemic," and other ideas.

That article was rather vanilla as was its description of what is being taught such as getting rid of one's inherently oppressive whiteness and white fragility. Christopher Rufo is doing investigative journalism about this topic.

That said critical race theory training is presenting a golden opportunity that white supremacists are taking advantage of. This is a serious and likely fatal impairment to fighting woke.

I think the fact the PDE is referencing a fox news story about white people being victimised is cringeworthy enough for me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2021, 11:18 am

Opponents of ‘critical race theory’ win Texas school board election

Quote:
A Texas school board has scored an overwhelming election victory to stop “critical race theory” and a new “cultural competence action plan” from being forced into classes.

The elections in Southlake on Saturday were so divisive that backers of the new anti-racism measures called on the Department of Justice to intervene — and even pop star Demi Lovato ripped opponents of the plan.

Opponents, however, told a series of heated meetings for the Carroll school district that the plan created “diversity police” — and was effectively “reverse racism” pushing a “left-wing agenda,” the Dallas Morning News previously reported.

They even went to court and won a temporary restraining order to stop implementation, the paper noted.

Voters also sent a resounding message against the plan at the weekend election — with the two school board positions as well as mayor and city council seats going to opponents of the “cultural competence,” with each getting almost 70 percent of the vote.

Only about 2 percent of the roughly 8,500 students in Southlake are black, the Dallas Morning News has noted.

However, the district started a “diversity council” — with more than 60 students, parents and staff — after viral videos in 2018 caught students chanting the N-word.

Bolding=mine
As I write this due to this election Critical Race Theory is trending which is a good BUT this needs to start happening in more diverse and even more “moderate” white districts otherwise it just validates the theory.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 4:40 pm

Idaho governor signs bill to ban critical race theory from being taught in schools

Quote:
Idaho’s governor, Brad Little, has a bill signed into law that aims to restrict critical race theory from being taught as a subject in schools and universities.

The bill, H 377, prevents teachers from “indoctrinating” students into belief systems that claim that members of any race, sex, religion, ethnicity or national origin are inferior or superior to other groups. Signed into law last week, H 377 also makes it illegal to make students “affirm, adopt or adhere to” beliefs that members of these groups are today responsible for past actions of the groups to which they claim to belong.

Tennessee bans public schools from teaching critical race theory amid national debate
Quote:
The Tennessee General Assembly has banned the teaching of critical race theory, passing a law at the very end of the legislative session to withhold funding from public schools that teach about white privilege.

Republicans in the House made the legislation a last-minute priority, introducing provisions that ban schools from instructing students that one race bears responsibility for the past actions against another, that the United States is fundamentally racist or that a person is inherently privileged or oppressive due to their race.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 5:19 pm

I don't believe in censorship like this-----but I don't believe in "critical race theory."

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 6:44 pm

Part of the problem is "what is critical race theory"

This is a discussion forum and It might be helpful to understand
1. what is CRT (rather than just referring it)
2. why this offensive
2. offensive to whom

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 8:19 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Idaho governor signs bill to ban critical race theory from being taught in schools
Quote:
Idaho’s governor, Brad Little, has a bill signed into law that aims to restrict critical race theory from being taught as a subject in schools and universities.

The bill, H 377, prevents teachers from “indoctrinating” students into belief systems that claim that members of any race, sex, religion, ethnicity or national origin are inferior or superior to other groups. Signed into law last week, H 377 also makes it illegal to make students “affirm, adopt or adhere to” beliefs that members of these groups are today responsible for past actions of the groups to which they claim to belong.

Tennessee bans public schools from teaching critical race theory amid national debate
Quote:
The Tennessee General Assembly has banned the teaching of critical race theory, passing a law at the very end of the legislative session to withhold funding from public schools that teach about white privilege.

Republicans in the House made the legislation a last-minute priority, introducing provisions that ban schools from instructing students that one race bears responsibility for the past actions against another, that the United States is fundamentally racist or that a person is inherently privileged or oppressive due to their race.

What is the point of learning about these things in school. I mean it just doesn't seem as educational, to help kids get jobs, the same way writing, math, chemistry, science, would.

Unless I am wrong?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 8:34 pm

You could argue that learning ancient history at school is equally pointless for the same reason.