Why does the United States not have mandated paid maternity

Page 11 of 11 [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,892

09 May 2021, 2:50 am

Fnord wrote:
TITLE BOUT

Canada vs. England

Topic: "What America Should Do"

Prize: Bragging Rights


(Marquess of Queensbury Rules)


Image


If we're looking for the most accurate post on the topic, my vote's on this one.



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,167
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

09 May 2021, 3:01 pm

AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Excuses excuses.. sounds an awful lot like "..but he only beats me on days that end in Y."

Like I said, I can't speak for or about the black community in Canada - because I'm not black And we don't Have a significant black community here. I do wonder what the causes of what you posted, are, though. Cultural hesitation and sitgma preventing people from seeking mental health services? Or bias of healthcare professionals not allowing access to care? Some other factor or combination? I have no idea - for the reasons stated.. I'm not black and there are very few black people around me.

Then you get what I’m saying. You have a racist health care system. But because your government doesn’t collect data and because you keep “visible minorities” and First Nations out of sight and out of mind, you can look the other way and pretend everything is just hunky-dory. Hopefully you can see that Canada does NOT have universal healthcare, only universal healthcare for WHITE people.

The United States has a more diverse population with minorities concentrating in big cities and the south. I remember laughing when I heard there was a BLM parade in Potsdam, NY (I’m a SUNY graduate). I’m curious how many local families are black. Not many. And it’s insulting when students turn out and it’s a case of mass virtue signaling and white guilt. THESE are the people who think they know so much about what everyone else in America should be doing or how we should be voting when they wouldn’t be caught dead in an inner city neighborhood or anywhere in the Mississippi Delta. If Canada doesn’t even have universal healthcare (contrary to their claims) or any history of experience with minority and civil rights concerns, the United States most certainly has no use for Canada’s advice.

Besides that...the US and Canada aren’t even remotely the same country or culture. Canada clearly has an indigenous problem, but it’s a CANADA problem, not a US problem. The only times Native Americans kick up now is when there’s some imminent domain question concerning tribal lands, and you can’t blame them for that. Otherwise, you have a few isolated situations of cultural appropriation or someone getting offended by a football team’s name. I want to start a pro football team and call them “The Savages.” I bet something like that would go over well in Montreal, don’t you think? Change the Canadiens to the Savages, have them play the Leafs tonight at 6 pm. The Savages vs. the Leafs. Nice ring to it, eh? If that’s the worst you have to worry about in the US, do you think Canada could stand some good American advice on the treatment of First Nations?


:lol: You don't have a clue. At all. Wtf? :lol:

I said we don't have a large black population where I live. Fact. It's very small. However, we do have one of the most diverse populations for a metro city area of ~2.5M people. There are hundreds of thousands of Asians and South Asians here, and Filipinos, Italians, Persians, and damned near every other nationality/ethnicity. In many areas of the Metro Vancouver region, white people are the visible minority. And literally every single person here has access to our universal healthcare system - including foreigners who skip out on the bill - but most certainly every single Canadian & Permanent Resident. I think Refugees get the same access, as well.

Not sure what makes you think this is a "whites only," city or country, or that we ration healthcare based on skin colour or ethnicity.

Are there systemic racial biases in everything in Canadian society? Sure - especially policing And there have been some examples in healthcare that have made the news the last couple years; in particularly with stereotypes about Indigenous people. It's nice to see these things being addressed. But we most certainly do not have any kind of "whites only," mentality nor policies here as you're suggesting. Other parts of Canada I might describe as being a bit backwards like that, though, mostly in Canada's "trump country," in Alberta & across the prairie Provinces - our "red states," populated by ignorant bigots compared to the diversity of international cities like Vancouver and Toronto.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,167
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

09 May 2021, 3:05 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
American health care is for rich people.

Americans mostly like their health care, because they're so rich.

Americans can get specialized medical care immediately. <--- Rich

While in Canada, they have long wait lists <--Poorer

America have highly paid medical staff with the latest medical devices, latest drug development <--Rich

While in Canada, you're likely on a tight budget, government controlled spending, waiting on Americans to develop devices, and drugs for you. <---Poorer

Americans get access to the best doctors in the world because they can earn the most. America "brain drains" the world of doctors. <--- Rich

While in Canada, government controlled pay likely leads to less talented doctors <---Poorer


Might lead to fewer doctors, but less talented? I doubt it.

A friend who attended told me that there are 3 types of students in medical school: The ones there for the money (about half), the ones who's parents are making them (about half), and the ones who truly want to be doctors (very low % - but those are the ones who all make it). Just because people leave for $ doesn't mean they were the top graduates in their class or the most talented doctors - it simply means they were in it for the money, so they pursued more money.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jan 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,370
Location: The Landmass between N.O. and Mobile

09 May 2021, 3:14 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Excuses excuses.. sounds an awful lot like "..but he only beats me on days that end in Y."

Like I said, I can't speak for or about the black community in Canada - because I'm not black And we don't Have a significant black community here. I do wonder what the causes of what you posted, are, though. Cultural hesitation and sitgma preventing people from seeking mental health services? Or bias of healthcare professionals not allowing access to care? Some other factor or combination? I have no idea - for the reasons stated.. I'm not black and there are very few black people around me.

Then you get what I’m saying. You have a racist health care system. But because your government doesn’t collect data and because you keep “visible minorities” and First Nations out of sight and out of mind, you can look the other way and pretend everything is just hunky-dory. Hopefully you can see that Canada does NOT have universal healthcare, only universal healthcare for WHITE people.

The United States has a more diverse population with minorities concentrating in big cities and the south. I remember laughing when I heard there was a BLM parade in Potsdam, NY (I’m a SUNY graduate). I’m curious how many local families are black. Not many. And it’s insulting when students turn out and it’s a case of mass virtue signaling and white guilt. THESE are the people who think they know so much about what everyone else in America should be doing or how we should be voting when they wouldn’t be caught dead in an inner city neighborhood or anywhere in the Mississippi Delta. If Canada doesn’t even have universal healthcare (contrary to their claims) or any history of experience with minority and civil rights concerns, the United States most certainly has no use for Canada’s advice.

Besides that...the US and Canada aren’t even remotely the same country or culture. Canada clearly has an indigenous problem, but it’s a CANADA problem, not a US problem. The only times Native Americans kick up now is when there’s some imminent domain question concerning tribal lands, and you can’t blame them for that. Otherwise, you have a few isolated situations of cultural appropriation or someone getting offended by a football team’s name. I want to start a pro football team and call them “The Savages.” I bet something like that would go over well in Montreal, don’t you think? Change the Canadiens to the Savages, have them play the Leafs tonight at 6 pm. The Savages vs. the Leafs. Nice ring to it, eh? If that’s the worst you have to worry about in the US, do you think Canada could stand some good American advice on the treatment of First Nations?


:lol: You don't have a clue. At all. Wtf? :lol:

I said we don't have a large black population where I live. Fact. It's very small. However, we do have one of the most diverse populations for a metro city area of ~2.5M people. There are hundreds of thousands of Asians and South Asians here, and Filipinos, Italians, Persians, and damned near every other nationality/ethnicity. In many areas of the Metro Vancouver region, white people are the visible minority. And literally every single person here has access to our universal healthcare system - including foreigners who skip out on the bill - but most certainly every single Canadian & Permanent Resident. I think Refugees get the same access, as well.

Not sure what makes you think this is a "whites only," city or country, or that we ration healthcare based on skin colour or ethnicity.

Are there systemic racial biases in everything in Canadian society? Sure - especially policing And there have been some examples in healthcare that have made the news the last couple years; in particularly with stereotypes about Indigenous people. It's nice to see these things being addressed. But we most certainly do not have any kind of "whites only," mentality nor policies here as you're suggesting. Other parts of Canada I might describe as being a bit backwards like that, though, mostly in Canada's "trump country," in Alberta & across the prairie Provinces - our "red states," populated by ignorant bigots compared to the diversity of international cities like Vancouver and Toronto.

“It doesn’t happen in my hometown, therefore it doesn’t exist.” Hmmm...I wonder if they have universal health care in Toronto or if minorities need not apply:

https://equityhealthj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12939-021-01410-9

Oh, dear...



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,167
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

09 May 2021, 3:21 pm

AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Excuses excuses.. sounds an awful lot like "..but he only beats me on days that end in Y."

Like I said, I can't speak for or about the black community in Canada - because I'm not black And we don't Have a significant black community here. I do wonder what the causes of what you posted, are, though. Cultural hesitation and sitgma preventing people from seeking mental health services? Or bias of healthcare professionals not allowing access to care? Some other factor or combination? I have no idea - for the reasons stated.. I'm not black and there are very few black people around me.

Then you get what I’m saying. You have a racist health care system. But because your government doesn’t collect data and because you keep “visible minorities” and First Nations out of sight and out of mind, you can look the other way and pretend everything is just hunky-dory. Hopefully you can see that Canada does NOT have universal healthcare, only universal healthcare for WHITE people.

The United States has a more diverse population with minorities concentrating in big cities and the south. I remember laughing when I heard there was a BLM parade in Potsdam, NY (I’m a SUNY graduate). I’m curious how many local families are black. Not many. And it’s insulting when students turn out and it’s a case of mass virtue signaling and white guilt. THESE are the people who think they know so much about what everyone else in America should be doing or how we should be voting when they wouldn’t be caught dead in an inner city neighborhood or anywhere in the Mississippi Delta. If Canada doesn’t even have universal healthcare (contrary to their claims) or any history of experience with minority and civil rights concerns, the United States most certainly has no use for Canada’s advice.

Besides that...the US and Canada aren’t even remotely the same country or culture. Canada clearly has an indigenous problem, but it’s a CANADA problem, not a US problem. The only times Native Americans kick up now is when there’s some imminent domain question concerning tribal lands, and you can’t blame them for that. Otherwise, you have a few isolated situations of cultural appropriation or someone getting offended by a football team’s name. I want to start a pro football team and call them “The Savages.” I bet something like that would go over well in Montreal, don’t you think? Change the Canadiens to the Savages, have them play the Leafs tonight at 6 pm. The Savages vs. the Leafs. Nice ring to it, eh? If that’s the worst you have to worry about in the US, do you think Canada could stand some good American advice on the treatment of First Nations?


:lol: You don't have a clue. At all. Wtf? :lol:

I said we don't have a large black population where I live. Fact. It's very small. However, we do have one of the most diverse populations for a metro city area of ~2.5M people. There are hundreds of thousands of Asians and South Asians here, and Filipinos, Italians, Persians, and damned near every other nationality/ethnicity. In many areas of the Metro Vancouver region, white people are the visible minority. And literally every single person here has access to our universal healthcare system - including foreigners who skip out on the bill - but most certainly every single Canadian & Permanent Resident. I think Refugees get the same access, as well.

Not sure what makes you think this is a "whites only," city or country, or that we ration healthcare based on skin colour or ethnicity.

Are there systemic racial biases in everything in Canadian society? Sure - especially policing And there have been some examples in healthcare that have made the news the last couple years; in particularly with stereotypes about Indigenous people. It's nice to see these things being addressed. But we most certainly do not have any kind of "whites only," mentality nor policies here as you're suggesting. Other parts of Canada I might describe as being a bit backwards like that, though, mostly in Canada's "trump country," in Alberta & across the prairie Provinces - our "red states," populated by ignorant bigots compared to the diversity of international cities like Vancouver and Toronto.

“It doesn’t happen in my hometown, therefore it doesn’t exist.” Hmmm...I wonder if they have universal health care in Toronto or if minorities need not apply:

https://equityhealthj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12939-021-01410-9

Oh, dear...


Yes, they do have universal healthcare in Toronto And every Canadian city/Province/Territory.

Quote from your link:

"Our study identifies how racialized health care users experience everyday racism when receiving health care..."

Do we have racially biased healthcare professionals? Yes. I just acknowledged above that Canada isn't without systemic racism problems. But does that mean we don't extend universal healthcare coverage to all Canadians regardless of race? No, it does not. Every Canadian has universal healthcare coverage - unlike in the USA where healthcare is rationed by employers who often decide based on the colour of your skin what type of job you're allowed to have and whether or not it comes with healthcare coverage. Can you see the differences between what you're suggesting and what we have here?


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jan 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,370
Location: The Landmass between N.O. and Mobile

09 May 2021, 7:16 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Excuses excuses.. sounds an awful lot like "..but he only beats me on days that end in Y."

Like I said, I can't speak for or about the black community in Canada - because I'm not black And we don't Have a significant black community here. I do wonder what the causes of what you posted, are, though. Cultural hesitation and sitgma preventing people from seeking mental health services? Or bias of healthcare professionals not allowing access to care? Some other factor or combination? I have no idea - for the reasons stated.. I'm not black and there are very few black people around me.

Then you get what I’m saying. You have a racist health care system. But because your government doesn’t collect data and because you keep “visible minorities” and First Nations out of sight and out of mind, you can look the other way and pretend everything is just hunky-dory. Hopefully you can see that Canada does NOT have universal healthcare, only universal healthcare for WHITE people.

The United States has a more diverse population with minorities concentrating in big cities and the south. I remember laughing when I heard there was a BLM parade in Potsdam, NY (I’m a SUNY graduate). I’m curious how many local families are black. Not many. And it’s insulting when students turn out and it’s a case of mass virtue signaling and white guilt. THESE are the people who think they know so much about what everyone else in America should be doing or how we should be voting when they wouldn’t be caught dead in an inner city neighborhood or anywhere in the Mississippi Delta. If Canada doesn’t even have universal healthcare (contrary to their claims) or any history of experience with minority and civil rights concerns, the United States most certainly has no use for Canada’s advice.

Besides that...the US and Canada aren’t even remotely the same country or culture. Canada clearly has an indigenous problem, but it’s a CANADA problem, not a US problem. The only times Native Americans kick up now is when there’s some imminent domain question concerning tribal lands, and you can’t blame them for that. Otherwise, you have a few isolated situations of cultural appropriation or someone getting offended by a football team’s name. I want to start a pro football team and call them “The Savages.” I bet something like that would go over well in Montreal, don’t you think? Change the Canadiens to the Savages, have them play the Leafs tonight at 6 pm. The Savages vs. the Leafs. Nice ring to it, eh? If that’s the worst you have to worry about in the US, do you think Canada could stand some good American advice on the treatment of First Nations?


:lol: You don't have a clue. At all. Wtf? :lol:

I said we don't have a large black population where I live. Fact. It's very small. However, we do have one of the most diverse populations for a metro city area of ~2.5M people. There are hundreds of thousands of Asians and South Asians here, and Filipinos, Italians, Persians, and damned near every other nationality/ethnicity. In many areas of the Metro Vancouver region, white people are the visible minority. And literally every single person here has access to our universal healthcare system - including foreigners who skip out on the bill - but most certainly every single Canadian & Permanent Resident. I think Refugees get the same access, as well.

Not sure what makes you think this is a "whites only," city or country, or that we ration healthcare based on skin colour or ethnicity.

Are there systemic racial biases in everything in Canadian society? Sure - especially policing And there have been some examples in healthcare that have made the news the last couple years; in particularly with stereotypes about Indigenous people. It's nice to see these things being addressed. But we most certainly do not have any kind of "whites only," mentality nor policies here as you're suggesting. Other parts of Canada I might describe as being a bit backwards like that, though, mostly in Canada's "trump country," in Alberta & across the prairie Provinces - our "red states," populated by ignorant bigots compared to the diversity of international cities like Vancouver and Toronto.

“It doesn’t happen in my hometown, therefore it doesn’t exist.” Hmmm...I wonder if they have universal health care in Toronto or if minorities need not apply:

https://equityhealthj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12939-021-01410-9

Oh, dear...


Yes, they do have universal healthcare in Toronto And every Canadian city/Province/Territory.

Quote from your link:

"Our study identifies how racialized health care users experience everyday racism when receiving health care..."

Do we have racially biased healthcare professionals? Yes. I just acknowledged above that Canada isn't without systemic racism problems. But does that mean we don't extend universal healthcare coverage to all Canadians regardless of race? No, it does not. Every Canadian has universal healthcare coverage - unlike in the USA where healthcare is rationed by employers who often decide based on the colour of your skin what type of job you're allowed to have and whether or not it comes with healthcare coverage. Can you see the differences between what you're suggesting and what we have here?

That’s not universal. If black people are mistreated when they show up or they’re hesitant to ask for treatment because they’re afraid they’ll be treated badly, or when doctors look at a patient and immediately turn her away because she’s black and black people “just want drugs,” THAT IS NOT UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE. It’s universal health care for WHITE PEOPLE.



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,167
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

09 May 2021, 7:30 pm

AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Excuses excuses.. sounds an awful lot like "..but he only beats me on days that end in Y."

Like I said, I can't speak for or about the black community in Canada - because I'm not black And we don't Have a significant black community here. I do wonder what the causes of what you posted, are, though. Cultural hesitation and sitgma preventing people from seeking mental health services? Or bias of healthcare professionals not allowing access to care? Some other factor or combination? I have no idea - for the reasons stated.. I'm not black and there are very few black people around me.

Then you get what I’m saying. You have a racist health care system. But because your government doesn’t collect data and because you keep “visible minorities” and First Nations out of sight and out of mind, you can look the other way and pretend everything is just hunky-dory. Hopefully you can see that Canada does NOT have universal healthcare, only universal healthcare for WHITE people.

The United States has a more diverse population with minorities concentrating in big cities and the south. I remember laughing when I heard there was a BLM parade in Potsdam, NY (I’m a SUNY graduate). I’m curious how many local families are black. Not many. And it’s insulting when students turn out and it’s a case of mass virtue signaling and white guilt. THESE are the people who think they know so much about what everyone else in America should be doing or how we should be voting when they wouldn’t be caught dead in an inner city neighborhood or anywhere in the Mississippi Delta. If Canada doesn’t even have universal healthcare (contrary to their claims) or any history of experience with minority and civil rights concerns, the United States most certainly has no use for Canada’s advice.

Besides that...the US and Canada aren’t even remotely the same country or culture. Canada clearly has an indigenous problem, but it’s a CANADA problem, not a US problem. The only times Native Americans kick up now is when there’s some imminent domain question concerning tribal lands, and you can’t blame them for that. Otherwise, you have a few isolated situations of cultural appropriation or someone getting offended by a football team’s name. I want to start a pro football team and call them “The Savages.” I bet something like that would go over well in Montreal, don’t you think? Change the Canadiens to the Savages, have them play the Leafs tonight at 6 pm. The Savages vs. the Leafs. Nice ring to it, eh? If that’s the worst you have to worry about in the US, do you think Canada could stand some good American advice on the treatment of First Nations?


:lol: You don't have a clue. At all. Wtf? :lol:

I said we don't have a large black population where I live. Fact. It's very small. However, we do have one of the most diverse populations for a metro city area of ~2.5M people. There are hundreds of thousands of Asians and South Asians here, and Filipinos, Italians, Persians, and damned near every other nationality/ethnicity. In many areas of the Metro Vancouver region, white people are the visible minority. And literally every single person here has access to our universal healthcare system - including foreigners who skip out on the bill - but most certainly every single Canadian & Permanent Resident. I think Refugees get the same access, as well.

Not sure what makes you think this is a "whites only," city or country, or that we ration healthcare based on skin colour or ethnicity.

Are there systemic racial biases in everything in Canadian society? Sure - especially policing And there have been some examples in healthcare that have made the news the last couple years; in particularly with stereotypes about Indigenous people. It's nice to see these things being addressed. But we most certainly do not have any kind of "whites only," mentality nor policies here as you're suggesting. Other parts of Canada I might describe as being a bit backwards like that, though, mostly in Canada's "trump country," in Alberta & across the prairie Provinces - our "red states," populated by ignorant bigots compared to the diversity of international cities like Vancouver and Toronto.

“It doesn’t happen in my hometown, therefore it doesn’t exist.” Hmmm...I wonder if they have universal health care in Toronto or if minorities need not apply:

https://equityhealthj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12939-021-01410-9

Oh, dear...


Yes, they do have universal healthcare in Toronto And every Canadian city/Province/Territory.

Quote from your link:

"Our study identifies how racialized health care users experience everyday racism when receiving health care..."

Do we have racially biased healthcare professionals? Yes. I just acknowledged above that Canada isn't without systemic racism problems. But does that mean we don't extend universal healthcare coverage to all Canadians regardless of race? No, it does not. Every Canadian has universal healthcare coverage - unlike in the USA where healthcare is rationed by employers who often decide based on the colour of your skin what type of job you're allowed to have and whether or not it comes with healthcare coverage. Can you see the differences between what you're suggesting and what we have here?

That’s not universal. If black people are mistreated when they show up or they’re hesitant to ask for treatment because they’re afraid they’ll be treated badly, or when doctors look at a patient and immediately turn her away because she’s black and black people “just want drugs,” THAT IS NOT UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE. It’s universal health care for WHITE PEOPLE.


Fake news.

It's racist people working for our universal healthcare system. There are most certainly racial biases from some humans, including doctors and nurses, but all Canadians have access to healthcare. Some Canadians may have to deal with some bigots - like lgbt Canadians dealing with homophobes/transphobes in healthcare, but us lgbt Canadians still get healthcare.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jan 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,370
Location: The Landmass between N.O. and Mobile

09 May 2021, 7:40 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Excuses excuses.. sounds an awful lot like "..but he only beats me on days that end in Y."

Like I said, I can't speak for or about the black community in Canada - because I'm not black And we don't Have a significant black community here. I do wonder what the causes of what you posted, are, though. Cultural hesitation and sitgma preventing people from seeking mental health services? Or bias of healthcare professionals not allowing access to care? Some other factor or combination? I have no idea - for the reasons stated.. I'm not black and there are very few black people around me.

Then you get what I’m saying. You have a racist health care system. But because your government doesn’t collect data and because you keep “visible minorities” and First Nations out of sight and out of mind, you can look the other way and pretend everything is just hunky-dory. Hopefully you can see that Canada does NOT have universal healthcare, only universal healthcare for WHITE people.

The United States has a more diverse population with minorities concentrating in big cities and the south. I remember laughing when I heard there was a BLM parade in Potsdam, NY (I’m a SUNY graduate). I’m curious how many local families are black. Not many. And it’s insulting when students turn out and it’s a case of mass virtue signaling and white guilt. THESE are the people who think they know so much about what everyone else in America should be doing or how we should be voting when they wouldn’t be caught dead in an inner city neighborhood or anywhere in the Mississippi Delta. If Canada doesn’t even have universal healthcare (contrary to their claims) or any history of experience with minority and civil rights concerns, the United States most certainly has no use for Canada’s advice.

Besides that...the US and Canada aren’t even remotely the same country or culture. Canada clearly has an indigenous problem, but it’s a CANADA problem, not a US problem. The only times Native Americans kick up now is when there’s some imminent domain question concerning tribal lands, and you can’t blame them for that. Otherwise, you have a few isolated situations of cultural appropriation or someone getting offended by a football team’s name. I want to start a pro football team and call them “The Savages.” I bet something like that would go over well in Montreal, don’t you think? Change the Canadiens to the Savages, have them play the Leafs tonight at 6 pm. The Savages vs. the Leafs. Nice ring to it, eh? If that’s the worst you have to worry about in the US, do you think Canada could stand some good American advice on the treatment of First Nations?


:lol: You don't have a clue. At all. Wtf? :lol:

I said we don't have a large black population where I live. Fact. It's very small. However, we do have one of the most diverse populations for a metro city area of ~2.5M people. There are hundreds of thousands of Asians and South Asians here, and Filipinos, Italians, Persians, and damned near every other nationality/ethnicity. In many areas of the Metro Vancouver region, white people are the visible minority. And literally every single person here has access to our universal healthcare system - including foreigners who skip out on the bill - but most certainly every single Canadian & Permanent Resident. I think Refugees get the same access, as well.

Not sure what makes you think this is a "whites only," city or country, or that we ration healthcare based on skin colour or ethnicity.

Are there systemic racial biases in everything in Canadian society? Sure - especially policing And there have been some examples in healthcare that have made the news the last couple years; in particularly with stereotypes about Indigenous people. It's nice to see these things being addressed. But we most certainly do not have any kind of "whites only," mentality nor policies here as you're suggesting. Other parts of Canada I might describe as being a bit backwards like that, though, mostly in Canada's "trump country," in Alberta & across the prairie Provinces - our "red states," populated by ignorant bigots compared to the diversity of international cities like Vancouver and Toronto.

“It doesn’t happen in my hometown, therefore it doesn’t exist.” Hmmm...I wonder if they have universal health care in Toronto or if minorities need not apply:

https://equityhealthj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12939-021-01410-9

Oh, dear...


Yes, they do have universal healthcare in Toronto And every Canadian city/Province/Territory.

Quote from your link:

"Our study identifies how racialized health care users experience everyday racism when receiving health care..."

Do we have racially biased healthcare professionals? Yes. I just acknowledged above that Canada isn't without systemic racism problems. But does that mean we don't extend universal healthcare coverage to all Canadians regardless of race? No, it does not. Every Canadian has universal healthcare coverage - unlike in the USA where healthcare is rationed by employers who often decide based on the colour of your skin what type of job you're allowed to have and whether or not it comes with healthcare coverage. Can you see the differences between what you're suggesting and what we have here?

That’s not universal. If black people are mistreated when they show up or they’re hesitant to ask for treatment because they’re afraid they’ll be treated badly, or when doctors look at a patient and immediately turn her away because she’s black and black people “just want drugs,” THAT IS NOT UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE. It’s universal health care for WHITE PEOPLE.


Fake news.

It's racist people working for our universal healthcare system. There are most certainly racial biases from some humans, including doctors and nurses, but all Canadians have access to healthcare.

You don’t have universal healthcare as long as you have racial biases. Plus it’s a systemic problem. ANY time someone is excluded based on race the system isn’t universal. “Universal” is just something pretty-sounding that exists in the law books. Reality paints a much different picture.

Vancouver is SO AWESOME, btw. Got a race problem in health care? It’s all good! As long as you don’t collect the data, you can sweep all that right under the rug! Woohoo!

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/bc-news/bc-woman-racial-data-health-treatment-problems-2540393



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,167
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

09 May 2021, 8:19 pm

AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Excuses excuses.. sounds an awful lot like "..but he only beats me on days that end in Y."

Like I said, I can't speak for or about the black community in Canada - because I'm not black And we don't Have a significant black community here. I do wonder what the causes of what you posted, are, though. Cultural hesitation and sitgma preventing people from seeking mental health services? Or bias of healthcare professionals not allowing access to care? Some other factor or combination? I have no idea - for the reasons stated.. I'm not black and there are very few black people around me.

Then you get what I’m saying. You have a racist health care system. But because your government doesn’t collect data and because you keep “visible minorities” and First Nations out of sight and out of mind, you can look the other way and pretend everything is just hunky-dory. Hopefully you can see that Canada does NOT have universal healthcare, only universal healthcare for WHITE people.

The United States has a more diverse population with minorities concentrating in big cities and the south. I remember laughing when I heard there was a BLM parade in Potsdam, NY (I’m a SUNY graduate). I’m curious how many local families are black. Not many. And it’s insulting when students turn out and it’s a case of mass virtue signaling and white guilt. THESE are the people who think they know so much about what everyone else in America should be doing or how we should be voting when they wouldn’t be caught dead in an inner city neighborhood or anywhere in the Mississippi Delta. If Canada doesn’t even have universal healthcare (contrary to their claims) or any history of experience with minority and civil rights concerns, the United States most certainly has no use for Canada’s advice.

Besides that...the US and Canada aren’t even remotely the same country or culture. Canada clearly has an indigenous problem, but it’s a CANADA problem, not a US problem. The only times Native Americans kick up now is when there’s some imminent domain question concerning tribal lands, and you can’t blame them for that. Otherwise, you have a few isolated situations of cultural appropriation or someone getting offended by a football team’s name. I want to start a pro football team and call them “The Savages.” I bet something like that would go over well in Montreal, don’t you think? Change the Canadiens to the Savages, have them play the Leafs tonight at 6 pm. The Savages vs. the Leafs. Nice ring to it, eh? If that’s the worst you have to worry about in the US, do you think Canada could stand some good American advice on the treatment of First Nations?


:lol: You don't have a clue. At all. Wtf? :lol:

I said we don't have a large black population where I live. Fact. It's very small. However, we do have one of the most diverse populations for a metro city area of ~2.5M people. There are hundreds of thousands of Asians and South Asians here, and Filipinos, Italians, Persians, and damned near every other nationality/ethnicity. In many areas of the Metro Vancouver region, white people are the visible minority. And literally every single person here has access to our universal healthcare system - including foreigners who skip out on the bill - but most certainly every single Canadian & Permanent Resident. I think Refugees get the same access, as well.

Not sure what makes you think this is a "whites only," city or country, or that we ration healthcare based on skin colour or ethnicity.

Are there systemic racial biases in everything in Canadian society? Sure - especially policing And there have been some examples in healthcare that have made the news the last couple years; in particularly with stereotypes about Indigenous people. It's nice to see these things being addressed. But we most certainly do not have any kind of "whites only," mentality nor policies here as you're suggesting. Other parts of Canada I might describe as being a bit backwards like that, though, mostly in Canada's "trump country," in Alberta & across the prairie Provinces - our "red states," populated by ignorant bigots compared to the diversity of international cities like Vancouver and Toronto.

“It doesn’t happen in my hometown, therefore it doesn’t exist.” Hmmm...I wonder if they have universal health care in Toronto or if minorities need not apply:

https://equityhealthj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12939-021-01410-9

Oh, dear...


Yes, they do have universal healthcare in Toronto And every Canadian city/Province/Territory.

Quote from your link:

"Our study identifies how racialized health care users experience everyday racism when receiving health care..."

Do we have racially biased healthcare professionals? Yes. I just acknowledged above that Canada isn't without systemic racism problems. But does that mean we don't extend universal healthcare coverage to all Canadians regardless of race? No, it does not. Every Canadian has universal healthcare coverage - unlike in the USA where healthcare is rationed by employers who often decide based on the colour of your skin what type of job you're allowed to have and whether or not it comes with healthcare coverage. Can you see the differences between what you're suggesting and what we have here?

That’s not universal. If black people are mistreated when they show up or they’re hesitant to ask for treatment because they’re afraid they’ll be treated badly, or when doctors look at a patient and immediately turn her away because she’s black and black people “just want drugs,” THAT IS NOT UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE. It’s universal health care for WHITE PEOPLE.


Fake news.

It's racist people working for our universal healthcare system. There are most certainly racial biases from some humans, including doctors and nurses, but all Canadians have access to healthcare.

You don’t have universal healthcare as long as you have racial biases. Plus it’s a systemic problem. ANY time someone is excluded based on race the system isn’t universal. “Universal” is just something pretty-sounding that exists in the law books. Reality paints a much different picture.

Vancouver is SO AWESOME, btw. Got a race problem in health care? It’s all good! As long as you don’t collect the data, you can sweep all that right under the rug! Woohoo!

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/bc-news/bc-woman-racial-data-health-treatment-problems-2540393


Before we debate this further, do you comprehend what the phrase "universal healthcare," even means? It seems you're missing the point.

Vancouver is pretty awesome, actually. Hence the name of this local publication: https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jan 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,370
Location: The Landmass between N.O. and Mobile

09 May 2021, 9:26 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Before we debate this further, do you comprehend what the phrase "universal healthcare," even means? It seems you're missing the point.

Vancouver is pretty awesome, actually. Hence the name of this local publication: https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/

Apparently YOU don’t know what it means. The government has laws on the books that opens taxpayer-funded medical care to all Canadians, but only white Canadians have sure access to it in reality. “Universal” is just something politicians say to make themselves look good and continue winning elections. Well, heck, even the United States has that much!

The United States actually does already have universal health care (after a manner). It’s just that nobody talks about it as such. For instance, let’s suppose you go into labor, but you can’t afford to see a doctor and can’t afford insurance. But you do know you’d rather be in the hospital than try to go it alone. So you go in and you have placenta previa AND the baby is breach. They do a C-section and you end up with a bill for $30,000. You COULD have tried giving birth at home, but you’d have lost the baby and bled to death, anyway. The hospital knows at intake you can’t pay anything, but it’s also against the law to refuse treatment if the patient can’t pay. So you go home with your baby, the send you the bill, and you pay MAYBE $50 a month or something. They won’t take it and send it to collections. Collectors threaten to sue you, but since your medical debt is unsecured, you file Chapter 7 on their @$$es and maybe even collect damages from them if they keep harassing you. Most of the time if you just ignore them they eventually go away. See? Free healthcare. For everyone. Unless you’re white or rich.



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,167
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

09 May 2021, 10:33 pm

AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Before we debate this further, do you comprehend what the phrase "universal healthcare," even means? It seems you're missing the point.

Vancouver is pretty awesome, actually. Hence the name of this local publication: https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/

Apparently YOU don’t know what it means. The government has laws on the books that opens taxpayer-funded medical care to all Canadians, but only white Canadians have sure access to it in reality. “Universal” is just something politicians say to make themselves look good and continue winning elections. Well, heck, even the United States has that much!

The United States actually does already have universal health care (after a manner). It’s just that nobody talks about it as such. For instance, let’s suppose you go into labor, but you can’t afford to see a doctor and can’t afford insurance. But you do know you’d rather be in the hospital than try to go it alone. So you go in and you have placenta previa AND the baby is breach. They do a C-section and you end up with a bill for $30,000. You COULD have tried giving birth at home, but you’d have lost the baby and bled to death, anyway. The hospital knows at intake you can’t pay anything, but it’s also against the law to refuse treatment if the patient can’t pay. So you go home with your baby, the send you the bill, and you pay MAYBE $50 a month or something. They won’t take it and send it to collections. Collectors threaten to sue you, but since your medical debt is unsecured, you file Chapter 7 on their @$$es and maybe even collect damages from them if they keep harassing you. Most of the time if you just ignore them they eventually go away. See? Free healthcare. For everyone. Unless you’re white or rich.


That's not true.

Go to any hospital here and you'll see many non-white Canadians/PR's getting healthcare, often from non-white doctors. Emergency room waiting areas (pre-covid, pretty sure people are still avoiding hospitals like the plague) are typically reflective of the demographic that lives in that area. At one hospital, it's typical to see almost all Indo-Canadian patients waiting, at another in a city 40 mins away, almost all Chinese Canadians. We do not have a "whites only," healthcare system and I'm not sure where you get that idea from.

Every Canadian gets healthcare. They don't typically ever get an invoice for anything. Almost no one ever gets bankrupted by medical debt in Canada. Maybe in some cases due to job loss because of illness or injury, but not for the price of medical treatments pretty much ~ever - with the exception of maybe some uber rare drug or procedure that isn't covered. Then maybe someone might swap their credit rating for a long shot cure.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,119
Location: Poland

10 May 2021, 1:56 am

AngelRho wrote:
The United States actually does already have universal health care (after a manner). It’s just that nobody talks about it as such. For instance, let’s suppose you go into labor, but you can’t afford to see a doctor and can’t afford insurance. But you do know you’d rather be in the hospital than try to go it alone. So you go in and you have placenta previa AND the baby is breach. They do a C-section and you end up with a bill for $30,000. You COULD have tried giving birth at home, but you’d have lost the baby and bled to death, anyway. The hospital knows at intake you can’t pay anything, but it’s also against the law to refuse treatment if the patient can’t pay. So you go home with your baby, the send you the bill, and you pay MAYBE $50 a month or something. They won’t take it and send it to collections. Collectors threaten to sue you, but since your medical debt is unsecured, you file Chapter 7 on their @$$es and maybe even collect damages from them if they keep harassing you. Most of the time if you just ignore them they eventually go away. See? Free healthcare. For everyone. Unless you’re white or rich.

You call this free healthcare? 8O
Well, even technically - 50$ a month is not free and for some it can make the difference between under- or overwater - not to mention your debt history that is a very important resource.

I can tell you what free healthcare looks like - welcome to some sh***y state in Eastern Europe:

You go to a hospital. You get whatever treatment is necessary - if it's a life-saving, you get it immediately, if it's not that urgent, you land on a waiting list, if you just bother them, they send you home.
If you're pregnant, you're expected to pay regular visits to a doc so they know what's going on beforehand. Then, they'll do whatever necessary.
No one ever sends you any bill.

If you're rich, you can go to a private clinic or visit docs privately - ever regular folks do it to speed things up - but you're still elligible for the state-paid healthcare, even if you were super-rich. In practice, people tend to mix paid and free healthcare services depending on how they personally value their time, money and comfort.
But never ever you get any bill for a life-saving emergency treatment.

I'm not living in a perfect world - waiting lists can be long, hospital food is famous for being sh***y, docs' and especially nurses' wages practically require at least a few hours a day of private practice to make ends meet, bureaucracy can be overwhelming sometimes - but it runs and we do have real free healthcare for everyone.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.


AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jan 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,370
Location: The Landmass between N.O. and Mobile

10 May 2021, 4:06 am

goldfish21 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Before we debate this further, do you comprehend what the phrase "universal healthcare," even means? It seems you're missing the point.

Vancouver is pretty awesome, actually. Hence the name of this local publication: https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/

Apparently YOU don’t know what it means. The government has laws on the books that opens taxpayer-funded medical care to all Canadians, but only white Canadians have sure access to it in reality. “Universal” is just something politicians say to make themselves look good and continue winning elections. Well, heck, even the United States has that much!

The United States actually does already have universal health care (after a manner). It’s just that nobody talks about it as such. For instance, let’s suppose you go into labor, but you can’t afford to see a doctor and can’t afford insurance. But you do know you’d rather be in the hospital than try to go it alone. So you go in and you have placenta previa AND the baby is breach. They do a C-section and you end up with a bill for $30,000. You COULD have tried giving birth at home, but you’d have lost the baby and bled to death, anyway. The hospital knows at intake you can’t pay anything, but it’s also against the law to refuse treatment if the patient can’t pay. So you go home with your baby, the send you the bill, and you pay MAYBE $50 a month or something. They won’t take it and send it to collections. Collectors threaten to sue you, but since your medical debt is unsecured, you file Chapter 7 on their @$$es and maybe even collect damages from them if they keep harassing you. Most of the time if you just ignore them they eventually go away. See? Free healthcare. For everyone. Unless you’re white or rich.


That's not true.

Go to any hospital here and you'll see many non-white Canadians/PR's getting healthcare, often from non-white doctors. Emergency room waiting areas (pre-covid, pretty sure people are still avoiding hospitals like the plague) are typically reflective of the demographic that lives in that area. At one hospital, it's typical to see almost all Indo-Canadian patients waiting, at another in a city 40 mins away, almost all Chinese Canadians. We do not have a "whites only," healthcare system and I'm not sure where you get that idea from.

Every Canadian gets healthcare. They don't typically ever get an invoice for anything. Almost no one ever gets bankrupted by medical debt in Canada. Maybe in some cases due to job loss because of illness or injury, but not for the price of medical treatments pretty much ~ever - with the exception of maybe some uber rare drug or procedure that isn't covered. Then maybe someone might swap their credit rating for a long shot cure.

Just because it’s not happening in your backyard doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. It’s easy to ignore the problem when you are speaking from a place of privilege.

https://diversityhealthcare.imedpub.com/the-impact-of-inequality-on-health-in-canada-a-multidimensional-framework.php?aid=1943

Quote:
Several Canadian studies have documented that race, ethnicity, gender, level of education, immigrant status and level of income act as barriers to health services and health services utilisation