Page 8 of 8 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 11:56 pm

My first association with the image below was an association with De Efteling. The Efteling is a fairytale park somewhere in a part of the world that is called Nederlands
Holle Bolle Gijs, "Paper here, Thank you" he cried all day long there in Kaatsheuvel.
I would not be surprised if Gijs has become slimmer since the lockdown, he will have received less food.
However, the gentleman in the picture is someone else, it must represent Robert Darwin. Robert is Charles's father.
It is a painting, and with paint and brush it is a breeze to give someone a bit more weight than the actual size.
Perhaps in the Victorian era it was a sign of prosperity to have a chunky appearance. On the other hand, Robert was a doctor, and doctor and obesity is not common these days. From what I understand they had no shortage of finances in the Darwin family, and therefore no shortage of food seems to me. I am for the freedom of the individual, so I agree with Robert that he eats his belly full.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 3:24 am

Everything that arises will sooner or later disappear again. Nothing in the universe will last forever. You can like this, you cannot like this, evolution is blind, just like humans, so evolution will go its own way. Human consciousness is only a spectator. That something that once originated is also the case on the Galapagos Islands. A rock formation, a kind of gate, the "Darwin-Arch" is no more, gravity has taken possession of the gate.