Page 16 of 53 [ 835 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 53  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 1:48 am

Oh okay, but isn't the fringe's opinion is what counts since Hollywood and corporations seem to listen to the majority woke opinion?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 3:09 am

I mentioned before that you can't shove all left wingers into "woke"

Many of the women who support #Meettoo are on the right side of politics but express concern how women are depicted in the media

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 3:28 am

Oh I thought I was speaking of the woke generation when I was talking about those who wanted to alter things like Snow White, but am I speaking of left wingers more so?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 4:14 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh I thought I was speaking of the woke generation when I was talking about those who wanted to alter things like Snow White, but am I speaking of left wingers more so?

If you want to quantify feminists they tend to be left wing but not all of them.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 1:14 pm

Oh okay. I had this conversation with my women friends, but they like Snow White as a movie, and they said they never had a problem with the kiss. In fact, two of my women friends thought it was romantic and hot they said for the prince to wake Snow White out of a coma.

So does that mean their may be a significant number of women who think it's hot and/or romantic, if two close female friends of mine both think so?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 1:58 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay. I had this conversation with my women friends, but they like Snow White as a movie, and they said they never had a problem with the kiss. In fact, two of my women friends thought it was romantic and hot they said for the prince to wake Snow White out of a coma.

So does that mean their may be a significant number of women who think it's hot and/or romantic, if two close female friends of mine both think so?

I always assumed that that would be the normal female reaction to the scene.

I would be surprised if many females actually ...object... to Prince Charming waking her up with a kiss even in this Me-Too age.

Maybe we should take a WP poll in the Women's Subforum about it. :?

Last edited by naturalplastic on 16 May 2021, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 1:59 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, but isn't the fringe's opinion is what counts since Hollywood and corporations seem to listen to the majority woke opinion?

I'm not sure it's what counts. Among things they're only a small fraction of the population and while sometimes they manage to lobby effectively they also get ignored often enough.

Basically, looking at the rare times those people have success in impacting our culture ignores that those successes are rare and that 'the woke' aren't actually imposing anything, they're occasionally persuading people to see things their way. It only gets noticed when they succeed because when they fail nothing changes so there's no news to report.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 4:28 pm

I think at this point Snow White has been flagged by a small vocal group but I have heard nothing from Disney.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 7:22 am

POLITICS Conservative group launches ad campaign against ‘woke capitalism,’ targeting CEOs by name

Quote:
A conservative group is launching an advertising campaign Tuesday designed to push back against what it sees as “woke capitalism,” spending more than $1 million on ads targeting the CEOs of Coca-Cola, American Airlines and Nike.

The ads are sharply critical of the CEOs on a range of issues ranging from childhood obesity to allegations of forced labor in China. Organizers say the campaign, which is being mounted by the conservative group Consumers’ Research, is designed to change the thinking in corporate boards around the economic and political costs of getting involved in flashpoint issues such as voting rights.

“Increasingly we’re seeing companies taking their eye off the ball,” said William Hild, executive director Consumers’ Research. “Our focus is always on the consumer. And that’s what it should be for these companies as well, but increasingly we’re seeing them work to curry favor with woke politicians, rather than focusing on serving their consumers.”

The dark money group says it will not disclose who is financing the campaign, saying it respects donors’ privacy. Consumers’ Research says it will run the ads on CNBC, Fox Business and local stations in the cities where the companies are headquartered. There will also be an online component to the campaign.

Replete with ominous video of the CEOS and casting them very much like opposition candidates in a political campaign, the ads target the company CEOs by name. The ads criticize American Airlines CEO Doug Parker for his high pay at time of layoffs and taxpayer bailouts for the industry. They target Coca-Cola CEO James Quincey over obesity in America. And they criticize Nike CEO John Donohoe over allegations of forced labor in China

Cancel Culture by subterfuge since the ads do not seem to be arguing against woke ideas.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 8:45 pm

Do you find that the woke generation are not even satisfied when things seem to still go there way but they still look for reasons to complain? For example when the movie Bohemian Rhapsody came out, woke people complained that it was homophobic, even though it was about a bisexual or gay real life person, yet they still complained.

That's just one example off the top of my head, but I don't think they would be satisfied when their desires are met and would still look for supposed flaws to exploit.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 8:54 pm

ironpony wrote:
Do you find that the woke generation are not even satisfied when things seem to still go there way but they still look for reasons to complain? For example when the movie Bohemian Rhapsody came out, woke people complained that it was homophobic, even though it was about a bisexual or gay real life person, yet they still complained.

Might the problem been with how the character was depicted or how aspects of their life were portrayed?

I'm not sure how depicting a gay or bisexual character is insulation from being accused of homophobia because a terrible depiction can be worse than no depiction. Further, downplaying a queer person's queerness when depicting them in fiction would appear homophobic because it's like erasing that aspect of them.

What exactly is the criticism? Further, don't movies always manage to find people who can find faults with them? I'm not sure a few people's criticisms amount to speaking for any bloc.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 9:08 pm

Well the criticism from the woke community is just that, that the homosexuality was downplayed, but how do you downplay that though? For years, the progressive generation's complaint about gay characters is that the homosexuality is played up to much... And now of all a sudden the complaint is the opposite and that's downplayed.

It's just an example as it's hard to take the woke generation seriously, if they are just going to flip on a dime like that, if that makes sense?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 9:13 pm

ironpony wrote:
Well the criticism from the woke community is just that, that the homosexuality was downplayed, but how do you downplay that though? For years, the progressive generation's complaint about gay characters is that the homosexuality is played up to much... And now of all a sudden the complaint is the opposite and that's downplayed.

It's just an example as it's hard to take the woke generation seriously, if they are just going to flip on a dime like that, if that makes sense?

In general it would seem fair that stereotypical representations that draw on negative clichés would be criticized.

When a historic figure who was known for their homosexuality is depicted in a way that glosses over it or makes it seem trivial or like it wasn't important to them, that erases that aspect of their identity.

These two criticisms aren't actually in conflict. People can both want to not be mocked and to also not be erased when a story about someone from that community is made.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 9:18 pm

Oh okay, but I don't know, it seems like a very fine line, because for years the progressive generation complains about how gay characters in movies, do not have enough going on as characters, outside of the homosexuality only, and so they portray a guy as having more than just his sexuality, and now it's cricized for that by the same generation it seems. Seems like an extremely fine line.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 10:30 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, but I don't know, it seems like a very fine line, because for years the progressive generation complains about how gay characters in movies, do not have enough going on as characters, outside of the homosexuality only, and so they portray a guy as having more than just his sexuality, and now it's cricized for that by the same generation it seems. Seems like an extremely fine line.

Are you sure that's what the criticisms were? That seems like you're probably oversimplifying them and then finding contradiction.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 10:37 pm

It's just at the time, quite a few articles came out saying it was homophobic, whatever they mean by that. They say that it's afraid to go there, but go where, exactly, since the movie portrays the character as gay and what more do you want, or so I thought.