Page 6 of 25 [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 25  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 12:38 am

funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
The Matrix pills have nothing to do with gender. But the incels etc, just use that expression to justify living "in their seperate reality" as Funeral put it.

I'd say in this context they do. A woman can't become a MGTOW, so they can't be 'red-pilled' into that ideology even if they're a lonely lesbian incel.

I was talking about the expression in general. But yes..MGTWs would only be offering the pill choice to other men- wouldnt apply to women. So yes.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 12:39 am

naturalplastic wrote:

The "red and blue pill" meme is from the movie the Matrix. "Drinking the Kool Aide" is from the real life tragedy of Jonestown in 1979- when an entire community of cult followers (900 people) were persuaded to commit suicide en masse by drinking poisoned Kool Aide from vats.

In the Matrix the main character is offered the choice of "taking the blue pill" and continuing to be a regular workaday person with regular beliefs, or "taking the red pill" and having your eyes opening to a bigger disturbing reality of (which in the movie is the rather contrived and unreal 'reality' of interdiminsional creaters coming at you).

"taking the blue pill" is buying into "the party line". Drinking the Kool Aide would be a more evil and dangerous version of the same thing (going along with what a cult leader wants).

Thanks NP.

I knew what "drinking the kool-aid" was, and I remember Jonestown when it happened. I could sense that red / blue pills were a similar idea, because they meant the person was believing hyperbole and propaganda to the extent that they'd be brainwashed.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 12:45 am

naturalplastic wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
The Matrix pills have nothing to do with gender. But the incels etc, just use that expression to justify living "in their seperate reality" as Funeral put it.

I'd say in this context they do. A woman can't become a MGTOW, so they can't be 'red-pilled' into that ideology even if they're a lonely lesbian incel.

I was talking about the expression in general. But yes..MGTWs would only be offering the pill choice to other men- wouldnt apply to women. So yes.

I'm just being fussy about context to try to steer things to remain on topic. In this context it does have a gendered understanding because male supremacists don't attempt to consider women's minds. They'd like to acknowledge them as little as possible.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 12:51 am

funeralxempire wrote:

It's not like incels are a new thing even if the term is new. The École Polytechnique massacre was the first incel terrorist attack and he was your generation.

I think you know that the Montréal attacks were extremely traumatic for me, as a Uni student of the same age. I was quite traumatised by it, and I worked on violence against women / white ribbon campaigns for nearly twenty years afterward. I still commemorate the anniversary every 6th of December, and I went to Montréal on the 25th anniversary for a vigil. Lepine's attack was the first time I learned about or understood sexism, or the illness we now call Incel. I was 21 but had never encountered or experienced anything so horrific related to gender and hate.

I could tell you stories. I saw men from the engineering department running through our women's dormitories with water guns after the attack, pretending to shoot the women as a joke. I saw women hang bedsheets in their windows, saying "No Means No". It was the first time I'd heard that phrase. Some of the men countered with sheets reading "No means More Beer ". The war was on for students. It was a very dark time for me having been assaulted on campus myself.

I feel triggered that you mentioned it, but I know it's relevant to this discussion.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 12:58 am

Just making sure. I figured that you would know the derivation of "drinking the kool aid". :)

But on this site you can never assume anything.

Like if folks know stuff that you think is obvious.

Years ago one lady actually started a thread here asking where the Kool Aide expression came from. And I had to retell the whole Jonestown horror story. Then some hyper literal minded person corrected me with an irrelevent nit pick...and then others corrected him about his correction...and the whole thread devolved into irrelevant idiocy. But I digress.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 1:02 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Just making sure. I figured that you would know the derivation of "drinking the kool aid". :)

But on this site you can never assume anything.

Like if folks know stuff that you think is obvious.

Years ago one lady actually started a thread here asking where the Kool Aide expression came from. And I had to retell the whole Jonestown horror story. Then some hyper literal minded person corrected me with an irrelevent nit pick...and then others corrected him about his correction...and the whole thread devolved into irrelevant idiocy. But I digress.

No problem. I always say that I don't follow media or politics, so it's understandable that you'd think I might not know.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 1:10 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

It's not like incels are a new thing even if the term is new. The École Polytechnique massacre was the first incel terrorist attack and he was your generation.

I think you know that the Montréal attacks were extremely traumatic for me, as a Uni student of the same age. I was quite traumatised by it, and I worked on violence against women / white ribbon campaigns for nearly twenty years afterward. I still commemorate the anniversary every 6th of December, and I went to Montréal on the 25th anniversary for a vigil. Lepine's attack was the first time I learned about or understood sexism, or the illness we now call Incel. I was 21 but had never encountered or experienced anything so horrific related to gender and hate.

I could tell you stories. I saw men from the engineering department running through our women's dormitories with water guns after the attack, pretending to shoot the women as a joke. I saw women hang bedsheets in their windows, saying "No Means No". It was the first time I'd heard that phrase. Some of the men countered with sheets reading "No means More Beer ". The war was on for students. It was a very dark time for me having been assaulted on campus myself.

I feel triggered that you mentioned it, but I know it's relevant to this discussion.

I'm very sorry for that. :oops:

I'm also grateful for what you added though because one of the things that's changing. Those pigs saying No means More Beer would be the miserable losers hanging out on MGTOW boards today but their attitudes were more normalized back then. Guys who embrace those attitudes now are bigger social rejects than they were back then so they're more miserable which only makes them angrier and more isolated and the ones who don't break out of that cycle sometimes shatter and act out violently.

I hope the nerve I touched at least communicates how important I consider this because there's been a lot more of those attacks in your current decade than when you were young and I don't want them to be normal by the time you're old and I want the mindsets that inspire them to be eradicated from the earth for the good of humanity (not just in the west either, but everywhere).

It disappoints me to my core when I realize how normalized misogyny was in what were basically the equivalent of 'woke' circles 50 or 100 years ago because even the people who sounded like they had the best attitudes were still f*****g terrible. :x

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Last edited by funeralxempire on 29 Jul 2021, 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 1:29 am

funeralxempire wrote:

I'm also grateful for what you added though because one of the things that's changing. Those pigs saying No means No Beer would be the miserable losers hanging out on MGTOW boards today but their attitudes were more normalized back then. Guys who embrace those attitudes now are bigger social rejects than they were back then so they're more miserable which only makes them angrier and more isolated and the ones who don't break out of that cycle sometimes shatter and act out violently.

I hope the nerve I touched at least communicates how important I consider this because there's been a lot more of those attacks in your current decade than when you were young and I don't want them to be normal by the time you're old and I want the mindsets that inspire them to be eradicated from the earth for the good of humanity (not just in the west either, but everywhere).

It disappoints me to my core when I realize how normalized misogyny was in what were basically the equivalent of 'woke' circles 50 or 100 years ago because even the people who sounded like they had the best attitudes were still f*****g terrible. :x

It's hard for me to comment on any of this with regard to those buffoons at my school. I didn't know any of the engineering men and I don't know if that's how they always felt about women, or whether the murders made everyone go a bit crazy. Chances are it's the former, and I'm not excusing what they did, but it was a time of unprecedented riot from men and women alike. Again, I'm not justifying. I'm just saying I had NEVER seen that attitude before from people my age. Oh, actually, I just thought of something else lol. On my way to first year of Uni as I approached campus in the car with my father, there were bedsheets hanging over the highway bridges saying "Fathers, kiss your virgin daughters goodbye!" My dad thought that was pretty funny. I don't remember it upsetting me. It just seemed like a joke, along the lines of Animal House and toga parties.

I knew about sexism in my parents' generation but my little world seemed quite progressive overall. Then again, I was autistic and had a pretty small world. It was a huge wake-up call for me, either way. Things settled down after the murders, and I started to read about Lepine's ideology. I guess I live a sheltered life. I was absolutely flummoxed by the concept of (unnamed) Incel which was described. In fact, I never heard about that type of mindset again until I joined WP and people used the word Incel. I had to ask what it meant, and of course that reminded me of Lepine.

I was assaulted by a young man / friend on campus my first week of classes and I didn't tell anyone. He bit my nipple off. I don't know why I'm sharing such a graphic detail except to say I was afraid that my parents would make me quit school if I told them. I thought that campus security would blame me. I went to hospital and made up a lie about how the injury occurred so I could be sewn back together. I look back on this and shake my head in disbelief. The man is now a prominent lawyer. I've seen his website. Still, I didn't have a mindset that all men were toxic or that masculinity was bad. I believed that violence was bad, and that Incel was a mental illness or personality disorder. I think I try to reconcile those feelings so that I don't feel guilt and shame for not turning that man in to police.

There's so much more I could tell, to explain why I try to see men and women equally. But I should likely turn in.

Thanks for the information and for being patient as I try to understand this topic.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 2:14 am

To some extent it depends on how much they internalize those attitudes and when do they question them.

I do think it's fair to suggest that they were caught up in the moment, but those sorts of attitudes that normalize misogyny for vulnerable men are the sorts of things that get labelled toxic masculinity.

Toxic masculinity isn't masculinity, it's just the most toxic interpretations of it. When it leads to men having a sense of entitlement to women's bodies or relationships, or when it makes men act in ways that harm themselves because it's tough or macho.

It isn't literally just being a man. The stereotypical Chad probably doesn't even need to worry about masculinity because he measures up. It's guys who fail to measure up in one way or another and overcompensate until it harms them who need to worry about the concept.

Think of the term toxic fandom, it doesn't mean all fans, it just means certain types of behaviours associated with fandoms.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 8:46 am

Well I chugged through the video. There's a lot there. He weaves together many different strands of internet reaction: incels, the gender wars and ethnic tension into a singular "Right wing male" persona that can be psychoanalysed and alternately vilified, mocked and pitied. There's much to be said about any given thread, but not much about the whole thesis. He oversimplifies some things, simultaneously overcomplicates others and makes links that are flimsy at best. Even he appeared to realise towards the end (when he talks about anger - it's fine and good - as long as it leads you down the left road rather than the right), that you could make an extremely similar video about the "left wing male" and it would be just as valid.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 9:10 am

Mikah wrote:
Well I chugged through the video. There's a lot there. He weaves together many different strands of internet reaction: incels, the gender wars and ethnic tension into a singular "Right wing male" persona that can be psychoanalysed and alternately vilified, mocked and pitied. There's much to be said about any given thread, but not much about the whole thesis. He oversimplifies some things, simultaneously overcomplicates others and makes links that are flimsy at best. Even he appeared to realise towards the end (when he talks about anger - it's fine and good - as long as it leads you down the left road rather than the right), that you could make an extremely similar video about the "left wing male" and it would be just as valid.

Example. What were one of the flimsy links, and what are examples for a "left wing male" that could be used for a similar video.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 9:47 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Why Are Right Wing Men So Sad?
Because they know they cannot always get their way with foreigners/immigrants, LGBTQs, the media, minorities, politicians, science/scientists, voters, women, the education system, their own children, and people further to the left on the political spectrum.

Note how often they defend homophobia, nationalism, racism, sexism, and xenophobia; as well as ignorance, religion, anti-vaxx/anti-mask policies, and the violent overthrow of the American government.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 11:14 am

I watched (so far) the first 11 minutes of the video. It would be nice if somebody could summarise the main take-home messages of the whole thing. I got the feeling the video author would have done better to make the whole thing more concise and logically organised. It would probably take me the whole day to analyse such a long podcast and thrash it into such a form, perhaps because of the way my mind works.

But I would guess that the gist of the message is that there's a lot of pressure on men to conform to the ultra-male stereotype of being very tough and bossy, and that it's bad for them and bad for everybody else. Which seems pretty obvious to me. I was a teenager during the late 60s and very much approved of the rebellion that took place against those values. We thought we'd pretty much won, and it was very disappointing to see the whole thing drift back again over the following decades. It likely has a lot to do with the fact that the only time I had a lot of friends was during that rebellion phase of society. I was lucky enough to find a small pocket of resistance during the late 1970s and early 80s, and that was the happiest time of my life in many ways, apart from when I was at work.

I do agree that the same kind of thing is done to women. That was also knocked back wonderfully during the rebellion years, much to my delight, only to go right back to square one again. I always felt a lot better among the "boilersuit feminists" who don't seem to exist any more.

I've often wondered, what went wrong? What were the forces that so successfully put down the rebellion?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 11:23 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
It would be interesting to know what facts this is based upon, rather than opinions of the creator of the video (I don't have time at present to watch a 50+ minute video), and how they differ from past studies

You're presenting basically the same stuff as Mikah did, this video is largely focused on younger MGTOW/incel/red pill types. It isn't as relevant for men of your generation (or Mr. Reynholm's) although that's not to say that these types don't exist within that cohort as well.

That was probably the result of the leading thread title coupled with a 50 minute video, and minimal supporting text - Not everyone has the time to watch 50 minutes of a video, and relies on the title (and text in the initial post) to determine what is being discussed.

I wasn't aware that Mikah had provided the same information either... Flicking through the thread I did come across the inevitable "attack the messenger to avoid discussing the inconvenient content of the message" post, which caused me to do a couple of minutes research on the topic based around sources that would suit those who have certain prejudices and require sources that align with their politics, which may have been where the similarities came from.

funeralxempire wrote:
The video is largely his observations about a bloc of largely right leaning men and how certain mindsets they embrace leave them emotionally stunted and unable to participate in relationships, leading to the emergence of toxic communities like MGTOW, incels, red pill, etc.

If I can find time this weekend, I may try and have a look, although of late I'm unfortunately restricted in what time I can devote to online activities...

As an aside, it would be interesting to know what the video creator's politics are, as a starting\reference point, to determine how balanced they are likely to be with their obesrvations: for instance, a left-leaning person is more likely to attribute "bad" motives\inclinations\beliefs\desires to those on the right, not neccesarily through malice (although that is a common cause), but simply as a result of their different interpretations\prioritisations\understandings\values and how they assign these to events\people\things\etc. - and vice-versa, naturally - with the more "radicalised"\"tribal"(\bigoted?) a person is (at either extreme), the more aggresively they seek to attack\demean\dehumanise those from the other side.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 12:13 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Re: Karens. The catch-phrase is so overused that all women are now afraid to speak their mind, to scream, to cry, to be autistic, to melt down, or to make a mistake for fear of public shaming.

That's toxic.

thanks, you caught me before I started going off on Karen King. :oops:

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2021, 12:15 pm

In related news ...

Quote:
White liberals more likely to have a mental health condition

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... alth-cond/

By Kelly Sadler - The Washington Times - Thursday, April 22, 2021
ANALYSIS/OPINION:

White liberals are more prone to mental health disorders than individuals who identify as conservative or moderates, according to a Pew Research Center survey.

Sixty-two percent of Whites who classify themselves as “very liberal” or “liberal” have been told by a doctor they have a mental health condition, as compared to 26% of conservatives and 20% of moderates, the study found.