Page 7 of 60 [ 955 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 60  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 11:40 am

I didn't even like Biden from the start. I don't like his stance on life issues.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 7:07 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Is it ever conceivable that America could get rid of the two-party system entirely, and just elect the best and most qualified people for the job? That would include the senate and the Supreme Court, over time. Call me naive. Call me an idealist. I just don't understand why it needs to be structured in two teams which change their position on issues all the time, and which don't seem very different when actually in office.

In the UK they sometimes allow a "free vote" where party loyalty isn't expected, and they also have all-party committees that seem to produce fairly high-quality reports at least some of the time. And there are some MPs called "independents" who aren't affiliated to any party. I get the impression that the apparent conflict between the two teams - "Her Majesty's Government" v. "Her Majesty's Opposition" - may largely be a show put on to distract people from seeing what's really going on and to give them hope that their favourite team stands some chance of getting something done. I'm not saying that the conflict between Capital and Labour isn't a very important part of political economy, just that the conflict we see in parliament has less to do with it than might be commonly thought.

I gather it was Parnell who "invented" the whip system where a number of members of parliament agree always to vote according to party loyalty rather than representing their electorate. Apparently it was very successful and it allowed Parnell's party to get a lot of legislation enacted that otherwise couldn't have been done. I guess everybody else adopted the method.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 8:20 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Pepe wrote:
You can't trust politicians on either side of the political divide. 8)

That's my view. As Dad said when somebody asked him why he'd stopped voting, there's none of them worth the shoe leather. It was common for people to walk to the polling station in those days, and postal voting was a rare thing.

I don't vote for any political a***holes party, either.

Hang on? :scratch:
Could that mean I am your father? 8O

Son!
Give me a hug! :mrgreen:

VegetableMan wrote:
Pepe wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
The only real hope for the U.S. is a massive grassroots movement behind a third-party.

Agreed on the need for a massive grassroots movement, but I don't think a third party is the answer.

We just need more a lot more successful elections of progressive Democrats like AOC, in Congress, in state legislatures, and various local offices. Once there are enough progressive Democrats elected to Congress and various local offices, it will then become feasible to elect one as President as well -- at least if we don't have a right wing coup.

But electing enough progressives to political office will be possible only if there is a massive, well-organized grassroots progressive movement independent of any political party apparatus.

AOC is not the sharpest tool in the shed, but she is young.
Giver her another 10 years of life experience. 8)

But will the country as we know it still be here? When society collapses, and it will soon, those crazy preppers will seem sane!

It's coming, baby! The whole thing is coming down! Get ready!

Alright, that may have been one too many hits.

I really don't care anymore, as long as armageddon happens *after* I die a natural death. :lmao:

Frack life.
It was a bad move to have a random/blind system of development as a result of the evolutionary process. 8)

Alrighty, then. Carry on.

I "carry on" all the time.
Just ask anyone. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 8:26 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
I don't know about ya'll, but I was seriously impressed at how hard Biden and the Dems fought for all the people who face eviction. I have such a warm and fuzzy feeling about them now.

The hardcore, on the left, will ignore your comment.
Trust me, I know from experience.
Some are even oblivious to my pink signature contribution. 8O

VegetableMan wrote:
I saw a snippet from that town hall with Don Lemon. Biden claimed that you won't get Covid if you are vaccinated. Certainly he will be taken off off all social media for spreading medical disinformation.

The man is clearly in intellectual decline.
Anyone who can't see it is being hyperpartisan.
But on the bright side, he is not Trump. ;)

Last edited by Pepe on 01 Aug 2021, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 8:33 pm

Misslizard wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Oh, hell, he's creepy! That hair sniffing and touching children was disturbing!

Yes, I’d he tried to sniff my hair I’d slap the pee water out of him.
A friend tried to make excuses for him, like,“ He’s an older man, that’s wasn’t a big deal, it’s what they did back then.”
Uh, no, just no.It’s not.
I only voted for him because the alternative was Trump.

It is obvious what he was doing was harmless.
And, yes, it was a different time when he grew up.
Call it a hangover from older times.

I defended Uncle Joe for these sorts of faux pas, right from the beginning.
It is a very autistic thing to do, after all, not suggesting he is on the spectrum.
I think you as an aspie, not appreciating this is quite ironic, no offence intended. ;)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 8:42 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Biden was not Trump and thought of as the Democrat with the best chance of beating Trump. It had nothing to do with agreeing with or liking Biden.

Total agreement.
I have said many times that the Democratic win was a protest against Trump, the way the Republican win was against Clinton beforehand. 8)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 9:44 pm

Pepe wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

A friend tried to make excuses for him, like,“ He’s an older man, that’s wasn’t a big deal, it’s what they did back then.”

It is a very autistic thing to do, after all, not suggesting he is on the spectrum.
I think you as an aspie, not appreciating this is quite ironic, no offence intended. ;)

That’s just an excuse for bad manners.
None of the older men in my family went around hair sniffing.
I also have no desire to sniff hair or to grope.Why on earth would I want to?
I don’t like touching people and for sure don’t want to smell them.That’s just nasty.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 9:51 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I don’t like touching people and for sure don’t want to smell them.That’s just nasty.

Don't getting why someone would behave a certain way doesn't automatically mean they have dirty intentions.

It seems more like boundary issues than pursuit of sexual gratification. It doesn't make it less creepy, it's just a different type of creepy.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 9:54 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Don't getting why someone would behave a certain way doesn't automatically mean they have dirty intentions.

It seems more like boundary issues than pursuit of sexual gratification. It doesn't make it less creepy, it's just a different type of creepy.

Whether he got his rocks off or not is inconsequential.

Children aren't his personal, sensory play toys.

Think of how those children felt, confused by the breach of trust and the power dynamic.

Would you want an older man stroking you on public television, or kissing and smelling you like a dog in heat?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 10:01 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Doesn’t matter if it’s sexual or just a boundary issue.I wouldn’t like it and I darn sure would get upset if some man or woman started sniffing on one of my kids.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 10:43 pm

Harry Haller wrote:
Poetry in motion :)

Thanks..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Aug 2021, 6:49 am

Biden is doing great. I would prefer faster action on immigration but the progress there has been very promising. He’s not Hillary but he’s fundamentally a good President.

funeralxempire wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Hang on. I thought he was the messiah, or something like that? :wink:

Yeah, we got rid of Trump. Now we're stuck with the same neoliberal politicians that led to Trump's rise to power.

But I guess we're supposed to be grateful. At least we don't have a president with an icky personality like the last one.

Trump wouldn't have done anything either though. Trump still basically operated as a neo-liberal so people just picked the less crazy neo-liberal.

“Neoliberalism is when I don’t like things, and the less I like it the more neoliberal it is.”

This isn’t coherent politics. Neither Trump nor Biden is a neoliberal. Trump is a right-wing nativist populist (about as far from a neoliberal as you can get), Biden is an old school union social democrat with protectionist tendencies, again pretty far from a neoliberal.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 6:57 am

Biden is a political insider. Pretty much a pragmatist. Is not above “spinning” to get a desired result. But he’s a much better leader than Trump. Yet, he certainly has faults.

Trump appeals to the “outsider” base who don’t bother to think beyond their stupidity. Trump incited an insurrection because he’s a sore loser. He’s a “populist” in the sense of he, in his mind, being his constituency. He doesn’t care at all for his alleged constituency.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 7:00 am

Misslizard wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Uncle Joe is harmless.
Trust me.

Let us agree to disagree. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 7:02 am

Misslizard wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Doesn’t matter if it’s sexual or just a boundary issue.I wouldn’t like it and I darn sure would get upset if some man or woman started sniffing on one of my kids.

Many autistic people have boundary issues. 8)

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 7:13 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Same with the videos of him touching young girls or smelling their hair, during public events. That was creepy as hell. It seems that wasn't taken seriously, or else it just got ignored like everything else. Heaven help him if that had been my daughter in any of the videos.

To my knowledge there have been no real updates like legal action or official complaints, but you might remember this incident:

Of all of them, this was the one that looked least suspicious to me, certainly compared to the one where he presses a little girl's hand into his junk and you can see the shock on her face. But ... apparently this girl herself confirmed the rumours, then quickly disappeared from the internet as so many tend to do in this situation. She's probably in Guantánamo Bay right now.

https://poptopic.com.au/news/senator-da ... er-nipple/