Page 22 of 25 [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 10:10 am

AngelRho wrote:
These were kids close in age having sex under the legal age of consent. If you say that they cannot consent, then what you’re saying is that these girls having babies or miscarriages never actually existed despite the whole school knowing who they were, or you are saying that the girls are ALSO guilty of rape since young boys can’t consent, either. Now which is it? Do we round up all the little boys and girls having sex and keep them in the detention center?

Did you read what I wrote? I said that two minors of similar maturity can consent with each other. You will also see that I said that a minor cannot consent with an adult because there is too much of a power imbalance, which is especially relevant to your story of a band director that was doing things with his student. You said that the she bragged to her friends that she "was different", which is exactly the kind of power imbalance that is the problem, if she was a minor and he was not, then he raped her, regardless of if it looked like she seduced him or something. I find it frankly ridiculous that you are making him out to be the victim for getting caught.

Setting aside you assumedly having no problem with conversion camps as long as it is legal. I would think that you would realise that your child not talking about things around you would just be setting her up to hide things rather than be open, and more likely to sneak around. When you just tell teenager not to do something, maybe not even talk about it, if they do happen to do something small they are likely to figure that they already broke some of the rules they might as well do more, and because it is not talked about they might not be able to be safe.

I mention abstinence only sex-ed because the data shows that you actually increase the amount of unwanted teenage pregnancies by doing that way. You teach teens early about things like boundaries, safe sex and even make contraception be available, you will be giving them healthier outlook to stop crimes and unwanted pregnancies. Maybe it ruins some kind of mystique, but clear and open communication is far safer than codes learned from old movie tropes, building an environment where things cannot be talked about, and maybe some ridiculous moment like a father meeting his daughter's boyfriend while holding a shotgun.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 11:43 am

Bradleigh wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
These were kids close in age having sex under the legal age of consent. If you say that they cannot consent, then what you’re saying is that these girls having babies or miscarriages never actually existed despite the whole school knowing who they were, or you are saying that the girls are ALSO guilty of rape since young boys can’t consent, either. Now which is it? Do we round up all the little boys and girls having sex and keep them in the detention center?

Did you read what I wrote? I said that two minors of similar maturity can consent with each other. You will also see that I said that a minor cannot consent with an adult because there is too much of a power imbalance, which is especially relevant to your story of a band director that was doing things with his student. You said that the she bragged to her friends that she "was different", which is exactly the kind of power imbalance that is the problem, if she was a minor and he was not, then he raped her, regardless of if it looked like she seduced him or something. I find it frankly ridiculous that you are making him out to be the victim for getting caught.

Setting aside you assumedly having no problem with conversion camps as long as it is legal. I would think that you would realise that your child not talking about things around you would just be setting her up to hide things rather than be open, and more likely to sneak around. When you just tell teenager not to do something, maybe not even talk about it, if they do happen to do something small they are likely to figure that they already broke some of the rules they might as well do more, and because it is not talked about they might not be able to be safe.

I mention abstinence only sex-ed because the data shows that you actually increase the amount of unwanted teenage pregnancies by doing that way. You teach teens early about things like boundaries, safe sex and even make contraception be available, you will be giving them healthier outlook to stop crimes and unwanted pregnancies. Maybe it ruins some kind of mystique, but clear and open communication is far safer than codes learned from old movie tropes, building an environment where things cannot be talked about, and maybe some ridiculous moment like a father meeting his daughter's boyfriend while holding a shotgun.

I don’t believe the guy was a victim for getting caught. He’s a scumbag, and I’m not going pretend he’s anything else. But the power imbalance runs both ways. Children do have more power over adults than you want to admit. Don’t believe me? Watch what happens any time a student lies about a teacher. They believe the student every. Single. Time. What teachers do is trick students into believing the opposite. I approach things differently by inoculating the students. I’m frank about it. “Oh yeah, you wanna get me fired? I’ll tell you how to do it.” And I do tell them. And once I’m done telling them, I remind them that I have daddy’s cell phone number and won’t bother going to the principal first. Once daddy is done with you when you get home, let’s revisit this conversation about students ganging up on teachers. The thing is…I see students as mini-adults and treat them as such. I can’t treat them as equals exactly, I can only tell them how to eventually BE equals with me. As a teacher, that’s what you want, else what’s the purpose of teaching them if they’re going to just be kids for the rest of their lives? So we reach an understanding of what our mutual goals are and that respect runs both ways, too. If you are ganging up on me, understand that my superiors and your parents are already aware. So let’s not play stupid games and let’s treat each other with civility, and just have fun in music appreciation! Speaking of, anybody know what a symphony is? This week we are going to unpack Beethoven’s 5th.

The most important thing to me is to NEVER, EVER expect the worst from kids. Kids will give you what you expect. If you expect the best, they will give you the best. If you expect the worst, they will only give you the worst. Kids who don’t meet your expectations—well, you do your best to find out why and you work with them until the can achieve on their own. Be very careful with their self-esteem and you’ll do fine with them. That’s why I don’t worry about bad things happening to me as a teacher. But at the same time, I’m not giving them any fuel. Hands off, kind words, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, never appear alone.

I don’t have a problem with the principle behind conversion camps, I just have doubts as to whether they’ve been effective or if it’s assumed they are abusive and not allowed to operate. The issue is any time cognitive behavior is unwanted, as in having an attraction to the same sex is something you have but do not wish to have. In that case, counseling would be the best option rather than encouraging something that would prove traumatic and damaging later on. Nobody would dare argue that getting counseling because one is preoccupied with paraphilia is a bad thing, so neither should one argue that dealing with unwanted feelings is a bad thing, either.

As to sneaking around…you are making the assumption that I cannot know what my kids are doing or that I have no control over their means to leave the house. I’m the parent, I can do darn well whatever I want. Bars on windows, security system and only I know the password, no car privileges, and I call the cops on her bf for kidnapping if he picks her up. I’m not saying that such extremes are necessary, only that I’m willing to go to any length to protect my children for as long as they stay under my care.

That’s why if there ever is a SO involved, they have to keep it under wraps. My goal is to keep them as far from distractions as I can while they’re in school, and the emotional turbulence of serious romantic relationships just isn’t what they need at this stage. There’s a time and place for that. If they make choices outside my care that I disagree with, I have no obligation to support them with my money and my things. She ends up pregnant? That’s a personal problem.

What I AM attracted to is my daughter making enough friends with guys in families we know, people we would love to bring into our family. If they’ve been secretly talking and develop feelings and he shows up expressing certain intentions, I’ll probably be overjoyed. I’d just prefer this happen AFTER she gets at least one college degree under her belt. I’m not about to send her off to college knowing some creep is sponging off money I’m giving her for her education, nor do I want to support her social life when her focus has to be on her degree. Trust me, she’s a lot more socially adept at 12 than I am at 40. She will be ok if she has to put relationships off a few years. We also have very limited means, also, so she’ll need a full scholarship and maybe some kind of job. If that’s the case and she doesn’t lose focus, she can screw every guy on campus if she wants. I’d be disappointed, but nothing would be stopping her. Every time the subject comes up, she says she doesn’t really want to go to college. I’d support that, too, but given the kinds of things she wants to do, it would be good for her to go.

My daughter and I have a relationship that can only be best described as unique. Maybe it’s because right now she still actually talks to me and still wants to snuggle on the couch when we watch movies. She’s the only one in the family who laughs when I tell dirty jokes (Why does the dirty Scotsman wear a kilt?), my oldest gets physically sick, and the others are too young, anyway. I don’t foresee my approach as scarring them for life since they do understand where we’re coming from as parents and maintain a healthy closeness. She knows she can come to me for the real scoop on what really happens when you have a baby, how NOT to have a baby, and feminine hygiene. Mom tends to sugarcoat things. My oldest has perfect pitch and is good with music, yes, but she has a certain boldness I didn’t expect. She is truly amazing.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 8:22 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Watch what happens any time a student lies about a teacher. They believe the student every. Single. Time. What teachers do is trick students into believing the opposite. I approach things differently by inoculating the students. I’m frank about it. “Oh yeah, you wanna get me fired? I’ll tell you how to do it.” And I do tell them. And once I’m done telling them, I remind them that I have daddy’s cell phone number and won’t bother going to the principal first. Once daddy is done with you when you get home, let’s revisit this conversation about students ganging up on teachers.

What does this mean?

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 1:50 am

Mikah wrote:
uncommondenominator I think you've crossed that line from lively debate into derangement with your thinly veiled personal attacks and assertions about the character and "secret motivations" of anyone who dares question this sacred cow of a topic, barely veiled, if at all, using the generic YOU or they or "some people". If there were anything of value to your posts, I might tolerate it, but there isn't and there really hasn't been since you made a fool of yourself in the abortion thread, which is when your obsession with me started. I will be ignoring you from now on. In fact I'll block your posts, you can rant and rave to your heart's content and I won't ever see it.

I have never met someone so determined to pretend that plugging your ears and going "LALALALA I CANT HEAR YOU!" is some kind of bold power move. It's not like you're stopping me from continuing to comment on your behavior, or stopping everyone else from reading my comments. Your just protecting your ego from reading things that seem like maybe they hit a little close to home.

If something is stated in terms of "they" and you take it personally, that's on you - you saw something in there that made you think it was about you. Of course, some people think everything is about them.

I doubt you'd be this eager to run away if all I was doing was calling you random things like a "drunken flamingo" or a "sloppy porcupine". And that IS all you're doing - running away, making the bad words invisible so you don't have to see them.

Although you are certainly among them, I have actually been referencing a multitude of people I've met and known who shared similar ideologies. If I were talking about you specifically, you'd know.

Here's an example, so you can tell the difference in the future.

Mikah, it does seem like, to my perspective, that you hold a great deal of misplaced anger towards women. Your apparent vehement fixation with things related to reproduction (pregnancy and sex among them) gives indication that you see these things as important. You've also expressed a number of negative options about women, so it's not unfair to assume you have an axe to grind. If I were to guess, it would be that you don't get the sex you want, and blame women for denying you - and making pregnancy mandatory is your excuse to be able to punish them for the crime of having sex with men other than you. Or something like that.

Now, if what I said there is utter and total rubbish, you should be able to laugh at it, for being so absurd. If it cuts so deeply that you must flee for safety, then perhaps the words are more keen than you'd care to admit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for this degenerating discussion about "consent".

Minors CAN enter a contract, but the have the option of accepting or revoking it upon turning 18. As such, most places won't take the chance of the minor backing out when they do turn 18. It's simpler to just say "they can't".

Age of consent varies from state to state, and in many instances have layered laws to cover multiple contingencies. Many states will still allow a minor to get married, with parental consent. In those same states, a lawfully married couple can engage in intercourse, even if one of them is below the age of 18. Or 16 in some states. Until about 10 years ago, some of those states set the age at 14.

Which is fascinating and all, but we're also deviating away from the topic - why some men seem so angry at the world. Let's not even say "right wing", let's just leave it a men in general. Cos many of them seem to create this trap for themselves, regardless of where they are politically. It's not exclusive to men either - women can also set unrealistic expectations that become frustrations when not fulfilled.

It seems to boil down to, they don't like being told "no". Many of the angriest people on here seem to be angry over being "denied" something they feel they "deserve". They hang their hopes of happiness all on a single thing, and when they don't get it, or the thing doesn't bring the happiness they expected, they cry "injustice!", as though the world owes them the privilege of conforming to the expectations that they invented all their own.

Failing that, even when they're told "yes" and they get what they want, it doesn't bring them the happiness that they assumed, or otherwise convinced themselves, it would bring them, they feel slighted or wronged. They jumped through all the right hoops, and won all the right games, and they want their reward. When they don't get it, it MUST be someone else's fault. The alternative is to acknowledge that they aren't entitled to the things they've been led to believe they are, and told they're the secret to happiness, the road to success, or any other such boondoggles.

Happiness and success are not achieved by checking off items on a list.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 8:56 am

I suspected you'd want a last exchange before the cloak of invisibility drops.

uncommondenominator wrote:
Although you are certainly among them, I have actually been referencing a multitude of people I've met and known who shared similar ideologies.

By "referencing" you mean attacking the character and motivations of your opponents. That is indeed exactly what you have been doing.

If I were talking about you specifically, you'd know

An example:

It's adorable that some people think consent means having to ask explicitly "MAY I INSERT MY PENIS INTO YOUR VAGINA AND INEFFECTIVELY WIGGLE AROUND?", or having to ask it more than once. The fact that they see this as an insurmountable task simply shows their ineptitude at the task.

This is a obviously a direct reference to something I said beforehand:

Mikah wrote:
We don't live in a world where reasonable people autistically scream "WOULD YOU ALLOW ME TO VAGINALLY PENETRATE YOU?"
"ARE YOU STILL CONSENTING TO THIS SEXUAL INTERACTION WITH ME?" and never will.

Anyone who isn't completely literal minded (ironic that this should be an autistic forum) can see that "some people" and "they" quite obviously refer to me. That's my ineffective penis and my ineptitude for the task (of sexual intercourse). Good counter argument.

Yes and naturally you've already implied that because I am capable of recognising these schoolboy level attacks for what they are - it must be true of me. Uh-huh. My shrivelled ineffective penis nods in agreement.

I tolerate a lot of this stuff from others, it's often funny and cathartic but they at least try to engage with the argument, but you do practically nothing else but write the most churlish ad hominem screeds. This is the uncommondenominator method of argument, at least when I am in a thread - those against abortion are all uncharitable, uncaring and also hate and have an borderline sexual fetish for punishing women. Those who defend the presumption of innocence don't get enough sex, are bad at it and argue not through reason but because they want to keep raping. Anyone reading our previous exchanges here and in other threads can see that I have tried to engage in a proper fashion, multiple times, to no avail.

bold power move

No power moves - it's an anonymous forum. It is just a matter of time for me - after dozens of posts, you have proven that I may as well just replace your posts with empty space. In the spirit of forgiveness however, If you ever want to properly argue about something I say here, ask someone to forward me your apology and I will unblock you.

Quia nunc vale.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 9:18 am

Mikah wrote:
In the spirit of forgiveness however, If you ever want to properly argue about something I say here, ask someone to forward me your apology and I will unblock you.

Quia nunc vale.

I suggest you don't hold your breath. :mrgreen:

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 11:17 am

Bradleigh wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Watch what happens any time a student lies about a teacher. They believe the student every. Single. Time. What teachers do is trick students into believing the opposite. I approach things differently by inoculating the students. I’m frank about it. “Oh yeah, you wanna get me fired? I’ll tell you how to do it.” And I do tell them. And once I’m done telling them, I remind them that I have daddy’s cell phone number and won’t bother going to the principal first. Once daddy is done with you when you get home, let’s revisit this conversation about students ganging up on teachers.

What does this mean?

It means I contact parents the first time they give me trouble in the classroom. In Southern society, there are two kinds of parents that you meet: Those who trust and support the teachers and those who don’t. The first group won’t hold back consequences when little Suzy cuts up in class and threatens the teacher. The other group tend to believe their precious little angel baby girl can do no wrong. Those are the ones you have to worry about. Those are the ones I request a conference with because the parents mentally cannot handle the idea that their child did something so bad that the mom or dad is required to personally appear before me and the principle before she’s allowed to return to class. They also know that I have the power to take away their baseball and cheerleading privileges, and once you start down that road the do-no-wrong parents will kiss your butt all kinds of ways to protect that sweet, innocent image.

Kids always know when you’re bluffing, which is how they learn to gang up on teachers they don’t like. They perceive their power to be greater than the teacher’s. Effective teachers often build an illusion of student powerlessness which discourages kids from open rebellion. I prefer being open and honest about it. Sure, you COULD get me fired. It wouldn’t take much. What exactly is it worth to you to do that? I’m one phone call away from having all your cell phone, car, sports, and cheerleading privileges revoked for that year. Aw, you were going for a scholarship to Vandy? Not anymore! Looks like you’re going to State just like everyone else. See you in 13th grade!

It’s not that I’m eager to play that card, just that I have the card at all to play. So…if we can all be mature adults and agree on these things: I’m an excellent music teacher and your mom pays me to teach you, YOU need a music elective to graduate, then let’s cut the BS and enjoy the semester. Ok, who can tell me what a time signature is for?

It’s a mindset for classroom management. As I said before, keep your hands off kids and stay visible. The trick regarding the aforementioned is to keep an open, non-confrontational atmosphere. I handle misbehavior privately when it can’t be redirected or ignored, and then I take it up with parents before it turns into a problem. Administration gets called in as a last resort, and the school I work for does use corporal punishment strictly at parental discretion. There are still a few public schools here that allow it, but it’s probably more common in private schools and as a whole not nearly as widely practiced as it was when I was in high school. I have found that what works best for me as a teacher is to not BS kids. Most of the time they are well-enough behaved and understanding there’s no need to take it to that level.

It’s something, too, that I had to learn from hard experience. The previous music teacher at my first gig must have had a target on her back because the students ganged up on her until the school fired her. I wasn’t prepared for the realities of low-income districts and middle-schoolers, so as a first-year I ended up with an even bigger target on my own back. I went from one low-income district to another and fared considerably better. I wasn’t perfect, but I was more consistent with discipline. I then worked for a private school where I found the affluent mentality to be as bad if not worse than the first public job. I thought I was doing ok. What happened was kids were stalking me at my own house and vandalizing my property, and I think there was that one rich parent who chose to hold a grudge against me because her oldest son, who’d been caught on video trashing my house, got kicked out of activities because his grades elsewhere disqualified him. I’m the one who got all the blame for it even though I’d done nothing wrong, so they let me go and hired a guy in my place who couldn’t keep his hands off little girls. Ok…so the story there was this guy had a side gig as a photographer/videographer who’d been known to take racy pics of high school girls and even (+18, of course) nudes. He didn’t make it half a year before they ran him off. I took a break from teaching and picked things back up at the Catholic school as part-time. This particular school was a private school that thought it was a public school and catered to low-income families, which I was no stranger to. That gave me an excellent chance to build my classroom skills under a highly supportive administration, and last year I led a marching band on the field for the first time at my new, full time gig. Unlike my classmates, my career path has not been as easy or as successful as early, but then at least I have the comfort of knowing at least I learned to set high expectations, communicate with parents, and manage to avoid doing downright stupid and illegal things that destroyed lives and landed people in prison.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 11:48 am

AngelRho wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

What does this mean?

It means I contact parents the first time they give me trouble in the classroom. In Southern society, there are two kinds of parents that you meet: Those who trust and support the teachers and those who don’t. The first group won’t hold back consequences when little Suzy cuts up in class and threatens the teacher. The other group tend to believe their precious little angel baby girl can do no wrong. Those are the ones you have to worry about. Those are the ones I request a conference with because the parents mentally cannot handle the idea that their child did something so bad that the mom or dad is required to personally appear before me and the principle before she’s allowed to return to class. They also know that I have the power to take away their baseball and cheerleading privileges, and once you start down that road the do-no-wrong parents will kiss your butt all kinds of ways to protect that sweet, innocent image.

Kids always know when you’re bluffing, which is how they learn to gang up on teachers they don’t like. They perceive their power to be greater than the teacher’s. Effective teachers often build an illusion of student powerlessness which discourages kids from open rebellion. I prefer being open and honest about it. Sure, you COULD get me fired. It wouldn’t take much. What exactly is it worth to you to do that? I’m one phone call away from having all your cell phone, car, sports, and cheerleading privileges revoked for that year. Aw, you were going for a scholarship to Vandy? Not anymore! Looks like you’re going to State just like everyone else. See you in 13th grade!

It’s not that I’m eager to play that card, just that I have the card at all to play. So…if we can all be mature adults and agree on these things: I’m an excellent music teacher and your mom pays me to teach you, YOU need a music elective to graduate, then let’s cut the BS and enjoy the semester. Ok, who can tell me what a time signature is for?

It’s a mindset for classroom management. As I said before, keep your hands off kids and stay visible. The trick regarding the aforementioned is to keep an open, non-confrontational atmosphere. I handle misbehavior privately when it can’t be redirected or ignored, and then I take it up with parents before it turns into a problem. Administration gets called in as a last resort, and the school I work for does use corporal punishment strictly at parental discretion. There are still a few public schools here that allow it, but it’s probably more common in private schools and as a whole not nearly as widely practiced as it was when I was in high school. I have found that what works best for me as a teacher is to not BS kids. Most of the time they are well-enough behaved and understanding there’s no need to take it to that level.

It’s something, too, that I had to learn from hard experience. The previous music teacher at my first gig must have had a target on her back because the students ganged up on her until the school fired her. I wasn’t prepared for the realities of low-income districts and middle-schoolers, so as a first-year I ended up with an even bigger target on my own back. I went from one low-income district to another and fared considerably better. I wasn’t perfect, but I was more consistent with discipline. I then worked for a private school where I found the affluent mentality to be as bad if not worse than the first public job. I thought I was doing ok. What happened was kids were stalking me at my own house and vandalizing my property, and I think there was that one rich parent who chose to hold a grudge against me because her oldest son, who’d been caught on video trashing my house, got kicked out of activities because his grades elsewhere disqualified him. I’m the one who got all the blame for it even though I’d done nothing wrong, so they let me go and hired a guy in my place who couldn’t keep his hands off little girls. Ok…so the story there was this guy had a side gig as a photographer/videographer who’d been known to take racy pics of high school girls and even (+18, of course) nudes. He didn’t make it half a year before they ran him off. I took a break from teaching and picked things back up at the Catholic school as part-time. This particular school was a private school that thought it was a public school and catered to low-income families, which I was no stranger to. That gave me an excellent chance to build my classroom skills under a highly supportive administration, and last year I led a marching band on the field for the first time at my new, full time gig. Unlike my classmates, my career path has not been as easy or as successful as early, but then at least I have the comfort of knowing at least I learned to set high expectations, communicate with parents, and manage to avoid doing downright stupid and illegal things that destroyed lives and landed people in prison.

Ok...So you are arguing that because you're paranoid the kids you teach want to get you fired, you think that means generally speaking it's really kids who have authority over the teachers, and therefore its not really the teachers fault if they fall for a student and have sex with them.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 12:03 pm

.It seems to boil down to, they don't like being told "no". Many of the angriest people on here seem to be angry over being "denied" something they feel they "deserve". They hang their hopes of happiness all on a single thing, and when they don't get it, or the thing doesn't bring the happiness they expected, they cry "injustice!", as though the world owes them the privilege of conforming to the expectations that they invented all their own.

Failing that, even when they're told "yes" and they get what they want, it doesn't bring them the happiness that they assumed, or otherwise convinced themselves, it would bring them, they feel slighted or wronged. They jumped through all the right hoops, and won all the right games, and they want their reward. When they don't get it, it MUST be someone else's fault. The alternative is to acknowledge that they aren't entitled to the things they've been led to believe they are, and told they're the secret to happiness, the road to success, or any other such boondoggles.

Happiness and success are not achieved by checking off items on a list.

There’s some good stuff here.

The wake up call for me was getting fired from two out of three teaching jobs I held soon after college. I do think kids are taught unreasonable things, like chasing your dreams and how rubbing a college degree releases some genie who will open all the career doors for you.

Of course, I’ve decided to get my path back in the right direction some 20 years on, and I’m crossing paths with college grads ready to take those first steps. We’ll talk music theory and whether the chord should resolve at the end or not, and I’m thinking, awe, that’s so cute! They name drop all their profs like that means something to me, and then I’ll hit them with, “oh yeah, I remember that. When I was working on my master’s, I wrote a paper on ___.” Or they’ll say something about serialism they think is so profound. I’ll yawn and say, “Riiiight. Actually, I’ve been looking into how to use n-dimensional matrices as a compositional tool. Do you know anything about projecting an 8-dimensional lattice into 4 dimensions?” Or, “oh, you’re a minimalist? I have a question for you. Can you explain to me how tintinabuli work in Arvo Pärt’s compositions?” And their eyes either glaze over or they start to wonder if they ever truly learned anything. Look, it’s a big world and you’ve got a long road ahead to accomplish anything. I get it, you worked your butt off for your bachelor's degree and credentials. But you never, ever stop learning. I have more degrees than you and still got knocked off my high horse dozens of times. I had a dream and thought I could do the impossible. Hopefully you’ll have an easier life than I did, but if not…it’s ok, just keep going back to work until you succeed and learn to move on when the time comes—don’t wait for them to fire you. They ARE coming to fire you, and you don’t want to be stuck in April figuring out how to pay next year’s bills after everyone else has already signed their contracts. Don’t doubt me, you’re talking to a guy with a master’s degree who spent two months one summer homeless. With two kids!

Regarding checking things off a list, I believe nothing in this world are ever satisfying. I used to want to be satisfied, but as I approached 40 and looked back on all that I’d hoped to accomplish and failed, I realize that I’m grateful that I wasn’t. To say that you are satisfied with things means you have no further task to accomplish, no use for further ambition. You might as well be dead. I realized that I’ll only ever be satisfied in death when I have nothing left to work for. In the meantime, there is life and all the things in life to have and enjoy. I don’t want to be satisfied because that means there’s nothing left for me to enjoy, nothing left to do, no way to improve my life.

When you are entitled to things, you have no reason to work for things. Without work and accruing value, you have nothing to exchange for something. Without exchange of value for a thing, you strip the desired thing of its value. Without value, there is no logical reason to desire a thing in the first place. Given that you have the ability to work in exchange for money which represents value, it is moral that you should not eat if you do not earn. If you earn nothing and do not deserve anything (there are more ways than work and ability to deserve things), then the free food you receive is worthless. It makes no logical sense to eat worthless food. It is more moral to starve than to eat if this is the case. People who have an entitlement mentality do not realize just how destructive their ideas are. If they do realize, then they are not merely destructive, but are a danger to society and to individuals.

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Aug 2021, 12:17 pm

Mikah wrote:
No power moves - it's an anonymous forum. It is just a matter of time for me - after dozens of posts, you have proven that I may as well just replace your posts with empty space. In the spirit of forgiveness however, If you ever want to properly argue about something I say here, ask someone to forward me your apology and I will unblock you.

Awww, - uncommondenominator is okay. Pretty reasonable guy.

Seems you just got hurted feels :lol:

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 12:23 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Ok...So you are arguing that because you're paranoid the kids you teach want to get you fired, you think that means generally speaking it's really kids who have authority over the teachers, and therefore its not really the teachers fault if they fall for a student and have sex with them.

I’m not arguing anything, so I’m not sure where you’re getting these ideas from. I will say I’ve had some bad experiences owing largely to a lack of experience and being too willing to trust kids and coworkers. If you go back and read what I said, you’ll note two rules I live by are keep your hands off kids, stay visible.

I don’t believe that kids want to get teachers fired. But I do know that they will try getting a teacher fired if a small group turns on the teacher. As I mentioned before, I know of a teacher who got his license revoked just because he left a note in a band student’s instrument case—nothing sexual about it, just the parents were all up in arms that he left a note.

To be fair, the student had a difficult home life and was moving. The BD in this case was wishing her well and literally expressed how sorry he was that things were so “f****d up.” The parents took it personally. While I think revoking his license is excessive, it still wasn’t the smartest thing to do.

That said…

Yes, due process really does fly out the window any time accusations are made whether they are true or not. While working at the Catholic school, because they are hypersensitive to that kind of thing, I had some private convos with my principal to try to understand the training and school policy. I asked specifically about false accusations. He told me that students generally have nothing to gain from lying about that kind of thing. In fact, the consequences are pretty serious for them even when they tell the truth. It is reasonably assumed that the accusations are true.

I never got fired for abusing kids. That was never the issue. I got fired for not being a likable person. I could come to terms with that the first time it happened, because, yeah, it was my first year and I wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed. The second time it happened I was out of touch with prep school politics. Some people get this job. Others, like me, need time and experience to figure it all out. I have no illusions that the balance of power favors students. It’s fact, not paranoia.

Besides, just because you’re paranoid…

…doesn’t mean everyone is NOT out to get you.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 12:41 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I’m not arguing anything, so I’m not sure where you’re getting these ideas from. I will say I’ve had some bad experiences owing largely to a lack of experience and being too willing to trust kids and coworkers. If you go back and read what I said, you’ll note two rules I live by are keep your hands off kids, stay visible.

I don’t believe that kids want to get teachers fired. But I do know that they will try getting a teacher fired if a small group turns on the teacher. As I mentioned before, I know of a teacher who got his license revoked just because he left a note in a band student’s instrument case—nothing sexual about it, just the parents were all up in arms that he left a note.

To be fair, the student had a difficult home life and was moving. The BD in this case was wishing her well and literally expressed how sorry he was that things were so “f****d up.” The parents took it personally. While I think revoking his license is excessive, it still wasn’t the smartest thing to do.

That said…

Yes, due process really does fly out the window any time accusations are made whether they are true or not. While working at the Catholic school, because they are hypersensitive to that kind of thing, I had some private convos with my principal to try to understand the training and school policy. I asked specifically about false accusations. He told me that students generally have nothing to gain from lying about that kind of thing. In fact, the consequences are pretty serious for them even when they tell the truth. It is reasonably assumed that the accusations are true.

I never got fired for abusing kids. That was never the issue. I got fired for not being a likable person. I could come to terms with that the first time it happened, because, yeah, it was my first year and I wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed. The second time it happened I was out of touch with prep school politics. Some people get this job. Others, like me, need time and experience to figure it all out. I have no illusions that the balance of power favors students. It’s fact, not paranoia.

Besides, just because you’re paranoid…

…doesn’t mean everyone is NOT out to get you.

Yes but you initially brought up your mistaken belief that students have more authority than teachers in response to someone bringing up teacher on student sexual harrassment/rape. Which may lead one to think you don't think it's that bad if a teacher has sex with one of their underage students. Is that your opinion or no?

Also, chances are if you think everyone is out to get you, you are probably paranoid.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 1:26 pm

Harry Haller wrote:

No doubt, until you definitively expose something he has said as wrong and/or stupid. A reasonable person would not have doubled down and started waging ad hominem jihad for pages and pages, from thread to thread. I know his type, he will seethe about that for years, a fresh cringe whenever he sees my name and avatar - which does give me some pleasure, I admit. I don't really expect any contrition, though forgiveness is available. But as long as he knows that I can't see his verbal diarrhoea, the forum might be spared along with me.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 1:50 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Yes but you initially brought up your mistaken belief that students have more authority than teachers in response to someone bringing up teacher on student sexual harrassment/rape.

What mistaken belief? Oh, that student’s have more authority? I never meant that they have more authority. They do have more power, however, and from everything I’ve seen and, to a degree experienced firsthand though not to such an extreme, this is a fact.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Which may lead one to think you don't think it's that bad if a teacher has sex with one of their underage students. Is that your opinion or no?

I believe I’ve already made myself clear on that in my responses to Bradleigh.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Also, chances are if you think everyone is out to get you, you are probably paranoid.

Yeah, funny story about that. Most of the time I’d agree with you. If my experiences were an isolated incident, I’d agree with you.

In my third year teaching in public schools my district transferred a home economics teacher to my school. Now, it was a rough school, I’d survived a year and come back, so I was pretty confident in my classroom. The school policy had been to write disciplinary referrals on any and all misbehavior. I tended to take things literally, so I figured if the principal said I had to write referrals, then I better get to writing them. It was so bad that the principal would visit our rooms to observe and call me out in front of my class because I didn’t notice a shirt was untucked just a little on one side. I mean, it was asinine stuff. So, naturally, I just worked out how to stop the problem from making it to my room and otherwise dealt with the kids diplomatically to avoid discipline problems. There was only so much I could reasonably do, and, yeah, those darned observation walk-throughs were kicking my butt.

What eventually happened is I got the undeserved reputation of writing up the most students. It was unfair and untrue, but I didn’t say anything. The assistant principal began publishing referrals by teacher and threatening to go to the school board with our referral numbers. P!Ssed me off, too. But, no big deal, let’s see what I can do to get numbers down.

Meanwhile, across the parking lot…

So I looked at the referral numbers to see just how bad the situation actually was. There was one other teacher who was a better disciplinarian than I was who I was always asking for advice, and her numbers were higher than mine. That didn’t really surprise me, though. My numbers were bad, but by far not the worst. It turns out the absolute worst teacher for referrals was the home economics teacher who racked up more referrals in a single month than I had the whole previous year.

One morning, all the 1st hour home economics students arrived early and met outside her door with eggs. Pounded her with eggs from head to toe.

If that had happened to me, I’d have laughed it off, called the office, and had arrangements made until I could clean up and get back to school. There’s a REASON I keep a spare change of clothes in my vehicle.

This teacher, though…she didn’t come back. I don’t think she ever set foot in classroom again, not that I blame her, but on the other hand her handling of her class was pathetic. What the kids did was wrong. My point is she didn’t do herself any favors on the way. Are students out to get you? No, not always, but sometimes, yes, they are, and that’s not even the first or final story like that I’ve heard. It’s just the first time something worse happened to a coworker than anything I’ve ever had to deal with.

Once I got in the habit of keeping in contact with parents, a lot of my classroom problems cleared up. Upset the wrong student and the accusation, no matter how out of character or outlandish, will always be believed over the teacher.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 3:17 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Yes but you initially brought up your mistaken belief that students have more authority than teachers in response to someone bringing up teacher on student sexual harrassment/rape.

What mistaken belief? Oh, that student’s have more authority? I never meant that they have more authority. They do have more power, however, and from everything I’ve seen and, to a degree experienced firsthand though not to such an extreme, this is a fact.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Which may lead one to think you don't think it's that bad if a teacher has sex with one of their underage students. Is that your opinion or no?

I believe I’ve already made myself clear on that in my responses to Bradleigh.

Sweetleaf wrote:

Yeah, funny story about that. Most of the time I’d agree with you. If my experiences were an isolated incident, I’d agree with you.

In my third year teaching in public schools my district transferred a home economics teacher to my school. Now, it was a rough school, I’d survived a year and come back, so I was pretty confident in my classroom. The school policy had been to write disciplinary referrals on any and all misbehavior. I tended to take things literally, so I figured if the principal said I had to write referrals, then I better get to writing them. It was so bad that the principal would visit our rooms to observe and call me out in front of my class because I didn’t notice a shirt was untucked just a little on one side. I mean, it was asinine stuff. So, naturally, I just worked out how to stop the problem from making it to my room and otherwise dealt with the kids diplomatically to avoid discipline problems. There was only so much I could reasonably do, and, yeah, those darned observation walk-throughs were kicking my butt.

What eventually happened is I got the undeserved reputation of writing up the most students. It was unfair and untrue, but I didn’t say anything. The assistant principal began publishing referrals by teacher and threatening to go to the school board with our referral numbers. P!Ssed me off, too. But, no big deal, let’s see what I can do to get numbers down.

Meanwhile, across the parking lot…

So I looked at the referral numbers to see just how bad the situation actually was. There was one other teacher who was a better disciplinarian than I was who I was always asking for advice, and her numbers were higher than mine. That didn’t really surprise me, though. My numbers were bad, but by far not the worst. It turns out the absolute worst teacher for referrals was the home economics teacher who racked up more referrals in a single month than I had the whole previous year.

One morning, all the 1st hour home economics students arrived early and met outside her door with eggs. Pounded her with eggs from head to toe.

If that had happened to me, I’d have laughed it off, called the office, and had arrangements made until I could clean up and get back to school. There’s a REASON I keep a spare change of clothes in my vehicle.

This teacher, though…she didn’t come back. I don’t think she ever set foot in classroom again, not that I blame her, but on the other hand her handling of her class was pathetic. What the kids did was wrong. My point is she didn’t do herself any favors on the way. Are students out to get you? No, not always, but sometimes, yes, they are, and that’s not even the first or final story like that I’ve heard. It’s just the first time something worse happened to a coworker than anything I’ve ever had to deal with.

Once I got in the habit of keeping in contact with parents, a lot of my classroom problems cleared up. Upset the wrong student and the accusation, no matter how out of character or outlandish, will always be believed over the teacher.

Students do not have more power than teachers, even if they might get the better of them sometimes and try to get them in trouble. They are the kids you are the adult, if you cannot stand up to kids its probably best not to be a teacher.

You can tell stories all day and it will still be a fact that kids cannot consent to sex with their teacher regardless of if you think they have more power than teachers.

Even if one of their students literally makes a move on them, like tries to kiss them or grope them for instance the teacher still has the responsibility to say no and not give into the advance.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 4:16 pm

Mikah wrote:
Harry Haller wrote:

No doubt, until you definitively expose something he has said as wrong and/or stupid. A reasonable person would not have doubled down and started waging ad hominem jihad for pages and pages, from thread to thread. I know his type, he will seethe about that for years, a fresh cringe whenever he sees my name and avatar - which does give me some pleasure, I admit. I don't really expect any contrition, though forgiveness is available. But as long as he knows that I can't see his verbal diarrhoea, the forum might be spared along with me.

If this weird fantasy of yours, pretending that I'm obsessed with you, helps you fellate your ego, by all means, go ahead. After all, if you say it, it MUST be true!

Yes, "from thread to thread" - all both of them. Two. We've crossed paths in TWO threads. On a small forum. What are the odds?!?!

Sure are putting a lot of effort into trying to discredit things you claim are inherently absurd. If what I say is so obviously false, it shouldn't need you eagerly pointing it out every change you get, every breath you take. You are taking things very seriously, for comments you seem to think shouldn't be taken seriously. You are also giving my words an awful lot of publicity, for claiming they're empty and hollow. Thou doth protest, a bit much. You're trying too hard, and it shows.

Blocking me doesn't "spare the forum" from my presence. Everyone else will still see what I say. The only thing being "spared" by blocking me, is your feelings. And if what I say is so absurd, it should be easy to ignore it. But it really does seem to get under your skin. So much so that you need to run away and hide, blubbering and sulking over your shoulder about how much I'll be hurt by the fact that I won't have your attention.

Now I'm even more certain I'm correct. I had the audacity to go against you, so now you're trying to punish me, even if I only "suffer" in the grip of your creative imagination. The fact that you think depriving me of the "honor" of your responses will hurt, shows exactly how much you over-value your existence. I bet you use that line on all the girls...

Something hurt your little feewings, and now you're lashing out at it. Since this is the internet, you can tell yourself whatever wet-dream fantasy you want, and convince yourself it's real. "He'll be seething for years! I just know it!"
Yes, I am literally angry with rage :roll:

This is like a lame "you can't fire me, I quit" - but you never worked here to begin with. "You'll be sorry when I'm gone!" LOL who are you?

Just run away already :jester:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See? In this case, this fella didn't like being told "no", or being disagreed with, told they're wrong, etc. And in response they're trying to punish me, by "depriving" me of the "honor" of their responses.

And that's the self-destructive loop. They don't get their way, so they punish the people around them who "denied" them their way. In the process, they alienate the people around them. When those people no longer associate with them, they interpret it as being "denied" more. Which they then brandish at others, thus alienating them, too. And now that they've pissed everyone around them off, they blame everyone else, and whine about how "mean" everyone else is. And bawl about how this isn't who they really are, this is just what everyone else made them.

Bitter at the world for not giving them what they've convinced themselves they deserve.

You can tell a lot about a person by how they respond to being told "no".

This phenomenon wherein people believe that they're great, and everyone else is just a "hater", is like the emperor's new clothes, in reverse. The entire town is telling the emperor he's naked, and he's the only one that thinks he's ornately adorned. People can tell themselves whatever they want. "I'm just too much of a free thinker, they don't like people who walk their own path, I don't fit into their mold properly, I just refuse to conform!" - but sometimes that's just a fancy way of saying "I'm a self-centered ass, and I don't want to stop".

What really rustles some of these angry men's jimmies, is that they're told or taught, or otherwise get the idea that "real men TAKE what they want" - but then fail when they try to - even if it was an unreasonable expectation to begin with. Now, not only do they have an unmet desire, but they also get the added "guilt" of having failed to "take it" like a "real man" would. The end result tends to be a man who arrogantly assaults women, or a man who pleadingly haggles with women.

Regardless. it still boils down to the same thing. Being told "no". Especially if it relates to how awesome they think they are, or things they've convinced themselves they "deserve".

Last edited by uncommondenominator on 03 Aug 2021, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.