Page 23 of 50 [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 50  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 7:54 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Pepe wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Okay thanks. It's just it's very convoluted and I feel like something is missing, a certain piece of the puzzle that is the route cause of this whole p$%^ing contest between democrats and republicans. I mean I just don't why both sides have this whole "my d**k is bigger than your d**k" mentality.

It is an amazing political phenomenon in America.
I am not a spring chicken and haven't seen anything/k like it before anywhere in a democracy.
(Perhaps the Gough Whitlam era to some degree, during "The Dismissal" in Australia.)
The hyperpartisanship is staggering/irrational.
I attribute this to Trump and the woke generation.

ironpony wrote:
I mean where I live, in Canada, me and my gf recently went to go vote in the election and we both voted for different parties. But we agree to disagree and we are still in a relationship and it doesn't bother us. The same with my two friends who are also married and both voted different. But it seems most American couples would break up or separate over something like this I am guessing?

I wouldn't say most couples would break up, but yes, American politics is weird. 8O

Does the woke generation go beyond generation Z though, or what is the woke generation in terms of age?

Well, correct me if I am wrong, but the term "woke" is a concept that has been embraced by many fairly recently.
If you prefer, substitute "culture" for "generation".

Aren't the only people still using the term woke conservative boomers in response to realizing they're out of touch?

Example: Stupid woke culture, all I did was insist on misgendering my grandkid repeatedly...

Correct me if I am wrong, but the term "woke" has been attributed to a person of colour relatively recently.
If "woke" isn't in vogue any longer, is something else being used?

BTW, Some use the term "boomer" as a pejorative.
I hope you aren't doing this here. 8)

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 7:59 pm

Jakki wrote:
But we got extra ones from Japan , whom were experimenting on Chinese, while they occupied a big piece of China. So am sceptically about poorly processed toods.

The Japanese Imperial Army experimented on more than just Chinese victims at unit 731. POWs from the Pacific side ended up there, along with some various neighboring nationalities (Koreans, Mongolians, Russians, etc.). Most were put to death in experiments. American soldiers harvested some of the information that they could from the site when it was taken over at the end of the war. Deals were made to continue some of the work during the cloud of the Cold War. We know about certain toxin limits (chemical and biological) in humans because of those experiments at unit 731 (and later on elsewhere). None the less, war crimes are still war crimes, even if you learn valuable information from them.

America is not innocent in conducting/condoning these issues during and after the war. I know more than most in that area because one of my great uncles was over there at the end of the war. He told me years later about his experiences during the occupation. He had nightmares of it for the rest of his life from what he saw.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 8:04 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
Jakki wrote:
But we got extra ones from Japan , whom were experimenting on Chinese, while they occupied a big piece of China. So am sceptically about poorly processed toods.

The Japanese Imperial Army experimented on more than just Chinese victims at unit 731. POWs from the Pacific side ended up there, along with some various neighboring nationalities (Koreans, Mongolians, Russians, etc.). Most were put to death in experiments. American soldiers harvested some of the information that they could from the site when it was taken over at the end of the war. Deals were made to continue some of the work during the cloud of the Cold War. We know about certain toxin limits (chemical and biological) in humans because of those experiments at unit 731 (and later on elsewhere). None the less, war crimes are still war crimes, even if you learn valuable information from them.

America is not innocent in conducting/condoning these issues during and after the war. I know more than most in that area because one of my great uncles was over there at the end of the war. He told me years later about his experiences during the occupation. He had nightmares of it for the rest of his life from what he saw.

But it isn't as if America exploited the black community through syphilis experiments, is it? <irony> 8)

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 8:17 pm

Pepe wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
Jakki wrote:

But it isn't as if America exploited the black community through syphilis experiments, is it? <irony> 8)

Yes, we did that. It is usually not covered in history classes much here, but sadly it did happen with the sanction of the American government. Same thing with infecting the native populations and killing off their food supply as a means of control. We also starved POWs during the Civil War (both sides), which gave a certain person ideas later on about dealing with people he did not like. We are a nation that tends to try to forget our dark parts of our past and remember only the parts that we want to. Sad, but true.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 8:24 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
Pepe wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Yes, we did that. It is usually not covered in history classes much here, but sadly it did happen with the sanction of the American government. Same thing with infecting the native populations and killing off their food supply as a means of control. We also starved POWs during the Civil War (both sides), which gave a certain person ideas later on about dealing with people he did not like. We are a nation that tends to try to forget our dark parts of our past and remember only the parts that we want to. Sad, but true.

The syphilis experiment was hardly forgotten and the victims afterward were given free medical care for life. I don't know what happened to those running it but imo they should have been executed for crimes against humanity.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 8:28 pm

Perhaps we should consider the American Soldiers whom were put into the blast radius of the atomic bomb tests done in the USA to see what the effects would be on Soldiers from intense radiation exposure from those same blasts . Even before Hiroshima and Nagasaki . And what kind of responsibilty ,
Should be placed on the people giving those orders.
( Perhaps consider that just maybe the Sanitarium is being run by the inmates?) And still seems to be ?

Now i see on my google news feed about a man saving the pets from Afghanistan whom got left behind. WHAT...shouldn't the consideration be given to the people still overthere . And the families of US service personnel whom died there ? am as considerate of peoples pets but this is the news feed they are sending to people in the name of Good media programming .
But you dont see the media publishing things about Dog still being on the menu in China ?
Am thinking our media sources either have their values crossed or are just plain irresponsible
and just playing to populist interests .( please pardon my input here if found offensive.)

where ever you go ,there you are

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 8:39 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Aren't the only people still using the term woke conservative boomers in response to realizing they're out of touch?

Example: Stupid woke culture, all I did was insist on misgendering my grandkid repeatedly...

I don't think boomers even make much of a distinction, it's just all stupid millennial stuff to them. Woke has just sort of been settled on as a handy catch all for left wing idpol BS, SJW and other words being too cumbersome or not quite specific enough.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 9:22 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay. Well how come in the US, the democrats seem to be anti-constitution then, if that's the case?

They aren't anti-Constitution, they just have a different understanding of what it means. Just like some Christians will understand a particular passage in the Bible differently from other Christians.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 9:56 pm

Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Pepe wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Okay thanks. It's just it's very convoluted and I feel like something is missing, a certain piece of the puzzle that is the route cause of this whole p$%^ing contest between democrats and republicans. I mean I just don't why both sides have this whole "my d**k is bigger than your d**k" mentality.

It is an amazing political phenomenon in America.
I am not a spring chicken and haven't seen anything/k like it before anywhere in a democracy.
(Perhaps the Gough Whitlam era to some degree, during "The Dismissal" in Australia.)
The hyperpartisanship is staggering/irrational.
I attribute this to Trump and the woke generation.

ironpony wrote:
I mean where I live, in Canada, me and my gf recently went to go vote in the election and we both voted for different parties. But we agree to disagree and we are still in a relationship and it doesn't bother us. The same with my two friends who are also married and both voted different. But it seems most American couples would break up or separate over something like this I am guessing?

I wouldn't say most couples would break up, but yes, American politics is weird. 8O

Does the woke generation go beyond generation Z though, or what is the woke generation in terms of age?

Well, correct me if I am wrong, but the term "woke" is a concept that has been embraced by many fairly recently.
If you prefer, substitute "culture" for "generation".

Correct me if I am wrong, but the term "woke" has been attributed to a person of colour relatively recently.
If "woke" isn't in vogue any longer, is something else being used?

BTW, Some use the term "boomer" as a pejorative.
I hope you aren't doing this here. 8)

How many years ago was it when the kids were still saying woke? Now it's just people like Tucker Carlson using it as a synonym for what they used to call political correctness but mostly amounts to not being able to use slurs and having to respect other people's basic dignity.

A bunch of overlapping and intersectional social justice movements don't need a blanket term to refer to treating others with decency and respect. It's much more useful to people trying to attack or discredit these people to have a label to lump them all together under, so no, as far as I know the term hasn't been replaced. It was just a slang term that caught on beyond the people who coined it, which led to the term losing currency and so far not being replaced.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Last edited by funeralxempire on 22 Sep 2021, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 9:58 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I don't think boomers even make much of a distinction, it's just all stupid millennial stuff to them. Woke has just sort of been settled on as a handy catch all for left wing idpol BS, SJW and other words being too cumbersome or not quite specific enough.

Overall I agree, the same people who are most hostile to the overton window shifting don't bother to understand what they're complaining about in much detail, all sorts of terms basically get turned into nothing more than snarlwords for stuff they're sure they should hate.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 9:58 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
How many years ago was it when the kids were still saying woke? Now it's just people like Tucker Carlson using it as a synonym for what they used to call political correctness but mostly amounts to not being able to use slurs and having to respect other people's basic dignity.

It's pretty widespread on the web amongst all age groups, the idpol critical Marxist sub I follow uses woke as a general purpose term, it's just convenient.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 9:59 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Overall I agree, the same people who are most hostile to the overton window shifting don't bother to understand what they're complaining about in much detail, all sorts of terms basically get turned into nothing more than snarlwords for stuff they're sure they should hate.

Kinda like what you're trying to do with anti pc anti woke positions? We're all just mad we can't use slurs anymore?

Last edited by Dox47 on 22 Sep 2021, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 10:05 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Kinda like what you're trying to do with anti pc anti woke positions? We're all just made we can't use slurs anymore?

Sorry, that's what it looks like from where I'm standing. Maybe that one issue isn't the core of it, but more broadly a lot of it seems to be some people are upset that social norms are changing and that groups of people they view with contempt are now often treated with as much dignity as they are.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 10:49 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

How does the prevalent use of "Uncle T**" (and the like) fit into the "not being able to use slurs and having to respect other people's basic dignity", given this predominantly comes from the "politically correct" group being referred to as "woke"?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 11:13 pm

Brictoria wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

How does the prevalent use of "Uncle T**" (and the like) fit into the "not being able to use slurs and having to respect other people's basic dignity", given this predominantly comes from the "politically correct" group being referred to as "woke"?

Have you ever seen me use the term? I don't and I can't speak for people who do.

Further, that's not one of the slurs the people I was referring to in that post are particularly attached to so I don't understand why you're bringing it up unless it's to make it clear that you didn't get what I meant. I'm talking about the people who are always raging about PC this and woke that.

In order to comment on the term you brought up we'd need to first look into who uses it. Afaik it's largely used by members of the same community it's largely directed towards. Otherwise it's just a cringe racial slur. Let's put it this way, I wouldn't call someone Wayne Brady for similar reasons.

It's not language that can be appropriated because outside of the original context it doesn't look the same. This would be generically true of slurs used to condemn people who step out of line of the expectations of their community if those slurs are appropriated by outsiders. Someone can't use a slur that means defective, failed, incorrect or transgressive one of us unless they're actually one of us, however one of us is defined. If they're not one of us it inherently changes how it's received.

A Brit can't call an American Benedict Arnold and have it land the same as when Americans use that term against each other.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 11:22 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Sorry, that's what it looks like from where I'm standing. Maybe that one issue isn't the core of it, but more broadly a lot of it seems to be some people are upset that social norms are changing and that groups of people they view with contempt are now often treated with as much dignity as they are.

Are you familiar with the principle of charity and the concept of steel manning as they apply to debate? They're extremely handy mental tools generally, and both of them are specifically very useful here, as I don't think you're going to be able to understand the opposing position at all until you accept that it's being argued in good faith.