Page 13 of 29 [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 29  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 4:39 pm

What happened to the October 15 TikTok general strike?

... "The event was supposed to be a one-day general strike, where young people across industries walked out or called in sick to their job, slowing productivity in a wide variety of sectors. While the strike gained traction quickly, problems began to arise.  Activists were divided over the length of the strike, the seemingly disorganized and anonymous leadership, and the vague list of demands."

"Things quickly fell apart when the group's disorganization became apparent in its Discord channel.  In the chaos, the original creators of the strike left the group and the organizational duties were left up to an anonymous cast with seemingly no organizing experience.  What appeared to be a well-intentioned effort turned out to be spearheaded by people who did not fully consider the stakes of asking people across the country to walk out of their jobs -- with or without the backing of a union that could protect them.  The group did not have organizational leadership that was publicly available until September." ...

Source:
 This Daily Dot Article 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 5:58 pm

Strike?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 7:51 pm

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 8:08 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I know what a ditch witch is and they don’t operate without a person.My son works heavy equipment, dozers, skidders, backhoe etc..,Does John Deere ring a bell? etc..And I also see some digging still done by hand with good old shovels on construction sites.
How nice that your employees have a Union and well paying jobs and can take a day off when they want.It would be even nicer if they cared that others have the same option.
And here you go, a ditch digger aka ditch witch by John Deere. :P

Speaking of John Deere...

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 10:02 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

There are plenty of people out there who will work. The strikers are entirely replaceable. If you don't show for your shift don't be surprised you were replaced. Probably by a Mexican migrant.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 10:08 pm

Scabs suck.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 10:12 pm

so many people want to let the rich get over on taxes only because they naively believe one day they'll be rich too. what rubes.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 12:23 am

Axeman wrote:
There are plenty of people out there who will work. The strikers are entirely replaceable. If you don't show for your shift don't be surprised you were replaced. Probably by a Mexican migrant.

As you predicted ...

The Kellogg company has posted a job advert seeking temporary workers to replace those currently on strike at the company's cereal production plants across the country".
https://www.newsweek.com/kellogg-job-ad ... ne-1639247

Be the hero of your life.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 12:39 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
Axeman wrote:

As you predicted ...

The Kellogg company has posted a job advert seeking temporary workers to replace those currently on strike at the company's cereal production plants across the country".

They'll be getting a lot of bogus applications as well as people who plan on applying just to go through the training period and not reach production.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 4:53 am

Misslizard wrote:
Scabs suck.

If you don't go to work you get fired plain and simple. It's not slavery.

Why do people who are willing to work suck?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 8:46 am

Fnord wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I guess people that have cushy jobs ,safe working conditions, good pay and benefits just don’t care about workers that don’t.
I care about the hourly (and salaried) workers where I work.

As for the rest, if they have never done anything for my personal benefit, then I have no reason to care about them.

In Regard, to Having No 'Reason' to Care for 'the Rest', if they Have
Never Done Anything For Personal Benefits of Another Human Being:

“Our task must be to widen our circle of compassion,
to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. ”

-Albert Einstein THEORETICAL PHYSICIST, PHILOSOPHER, NOBEL PRIZE WINNER

Wow, Albert Einstein's Platitude Here Surely Does Match
The Platitudes of the Francis Assisi Version of the Little
Brown Good Cop Storied Version of Jesus of Nazareth...

On the Other Hand, Platitudes Are Only 'SKiN Deep' (Words)...

Einstein Treated His Wife, About How

A Toxic Patriarchal Husband Treats

His Wife In Arranged Marriages

to Breed Some Children;

Yet in

Einstein's

Case, it Was More
Don't You Dare Interrupt my Work...

It Was More of A To Do List Marriage...

Sadly, A Prisoner of Stolen Away Social
Empathic Artistic Spiritual Intelligences...

Yet Still Enough Left to Come Up With A Beautiful
Platitude That Perhaps Someone Else Would Come Along to

Actually

Do...

Sort
of Like
The Jesus Story
too After He changed
The Sheep into Goats and Tortured
Them Forever in the Bad Cop Einstein

Version of that Story too...

There is this Mammal Bonobo, And Us, And Other's

Thingie Called Altruism; It's Really Real, Science Shows it so...

Yes, All That's Really ALLoWeD Humans to exist this long...

Without it

We

Won't
Last Much Longer...

And That's Nature...

Something the Good
Cop Version of Francis
of Assisi managed to see...

Almost Miraculously in a
Place of So Much Toxic Patriarchy too...

Science Shows That Humans Who Give
With No Expectation of Return Flourish

More Than those who do not

And that's A
SCIENTIFIC FACT

That's Not Going Away
Unless We Become More Machine
in One Lifetime than actually Altruistic
Flourishing Flowering Blooming Humanity
Giving Sharing Caring Loving All That IS; Voila!

Heaven on Earth for Real...!

Have a Nice Day!

With

SMiLes Okay...!

Let's All Give
Away Free Stuff Just For Fun!

The Rewards All Come When Real Within!

Clue:

Heaven On Earth (Within) for Real! FOR REAL YES!

And NO, THiS AiN'T Just a SunDay Saturday School
LeSSoN Baby; It is Science, the Area i Particularly Specialize in...

And Surely 'WRiTE" On Topic When it Comes to BeneFiTTiNG the 'Masses'...

And Of Course, Change Comes Incrementally; And Reason Goes Hand-in-
Hand (Left and Right) With Social Empathic Artistic Spiritual Intelligences; Yes,
A Balance of Yin And Yang Required in All Stuff Moving into More of A Buddha Mid-Way
Balancing Realm Here; Moving From $7.65 An Hour to $20.00 An Hour is Not Reasonable;
However, There Are Even Florida, "Real We the Peoples" Who Democratically Elect Our
Officials, Right, to Vote in, Incremental Dollar Increases, Every Year, to Get A Living
Minimum Wage of $15.00 An Hour at Least by 2026, if Inflation Does Not Increase

too Much By Then;

Again,

Change

Must Be
Incremental
And Reasonable
to Actually Work
For Good Loving Causes
To Come to Actually Be
More Than Platitudes or
Complaints About How Stuff IS.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 9:16 am

If there were no unions, 19th century Industrial Revolution conditions would still exist. There would still be 6-year-old children working in the coal mines.

Unions provide the potential for equity and freedom from exploitation.

The right to collective bargaining is a precious right. Having scabs blow the whole thing for the workers.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 9:37 am

funeralxempire wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
Axeman wrote:

As you predicted ...

They'll be getting a lot of bogus applications as well as people who plan on applying just to go through the training period and not reach production.

Good reason to start replacing those jobs with robots earlier than later.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 9:41 am

The need for people to be trained in new technology has never been greater.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 9:58 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
Axeman wrote:

As you predicted ...

Good reason to start replacing those jobs with robots earlier than later.

How close are we to that realistically?

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 10:09 am

Yesterday I saw just a normal Friday. No mass strikes at the place I work, nothing out of normal at the stores I visited. I went out to eat with my research collaborator to discuss our project and there was no strike going on there.

However I did get to leave a zero tip at a local eatery because my food server made several errors during and after my meal. Six to be exact. That is very rare to have happen there. The last time I gave a zero tip was over two years ago. I usually tip between 20 to 25+% of my bill depending upon their service. For those who would whine about me not tipping him, see if you would have paid someone who:

1.) Served my friend a stale beer when he requested a unsweetened ice tea. I was lucky I did not order tea with my meal because I am allergic to alcohol, even in small amounts. When we mentioned about the error, he got very snotty to the both of us. Another server heard the conversation and apologized to us. Someone had saved a pitcher of beer in the refrigerator the previous night, so that explained how it happened. It did not negate the behavior of the server though.

2.) Avoided our table to wait on a larger group that arrived later than us. He never refilled our drinks nor asked us if we wanted refills. I ran out of water half way into my meal. He had another server bring our salads out to us.

3.) The salads were prepared wrong from what we ordered. I had told him no onion and there were several large pieces of red onion mixed in. Same thing with my friend’s order. Ok, people can make mistakes, but...

4.) He did bring out our main food, but placed a paper receipt on top of my order of spaghetti. This was someone’s bill, not our food order. He lifted the receipt up and made me peel off the noodles. I would have called the manager on this one, but he would have likely spit in the remade food.

5.). He did not bring any condiments when asked upon bringing the food. I thought it was common sense to have Parmesan cheese at most tables in an Italian pizza place.

6.) He became confrontational when we asked to split the bill between the two orders. We had asked that at the beginning of our order, yet he did not set it up. I paid in cash just to give him no tip.

For all of those errors, he deserved a no tip from our table. We will avoid this place while he is serving there now. When food servers complain about low pay, sometimes they do deserve the pay they get when they are bad servers.