Jordan Peterson gets TRIGGERED and ragequits

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 4:02 am

MaxE wrote:
theprisoner wrote:
I can't believe you've never heard of Jordan Peterson. ... :? He's been quite famous for a while now...or infamous

Quite possibly less well known in the US than in the Commonwealth.

EDIT OK it's possible I've seen his name before although only here. It doesn't seem he's an authority on autism.

Anyway I see he calls himself a "Classical Liberal". That's always a red flag for me. I wouldn't waste my time on whatever sort of narcissistic nonsense he wants to "share" with humanity.

I never really got the appeal. He seems too desperate to be seen as a Wise Man. And a lot of his ideas just seem like badly regurgitated Nietzsche and Carl Jung. (Not to mention, his dull interpretations of literature. He has no mind for it.)

Manchild is the word I think of when Jordan Peterson is mentioned.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 11:43 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Next comes the I've been cancelled grift.

nah, it's the "you can't cancel me!"-grift that got him so rich he can just walk away from tenure.
Now comes the "See how much 'tegrity I have? I walked away from tenure, money, safety, into the unknown, into chaos, to fight dragons"-grift.
I'm willing to bet money he'll establish a conservative think tank next, take oil money to rally against environmentalism and collect 5 dollar donations from poor white boys who are angry at women for taking their jobs.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 12:20 am

every time i've managed to watch him bloviate, it stinks of ableism.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 11:06 am

here is another analysis - for mix of pov vids on this thread on the guy. I dont always 100 percent agree with Dr. Grande, but the good news is that he is quite clinical and largely unbiased in his analyses. The bad news is that he is quite clinical and largely unbiased in his analyses, and (as in this vid) can be rather sleep-inducing. Lol!

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 11:36 am

naturalplastic wrote:
here is another analysis - for mix of pov vids on this thread on the guy. I dont always 100 percent agree with Dr. Grande, but the good news is that he is quite clinical and largely unbiased in his analyses. The bad news is that he is quite clinical and largely unbiased in his analyses, and (as in this vid) can be rather sleep-inducing. Lol!

How's about an executive summary?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 12:21 pm

MaxE wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

How's about an executive summary?

As I understand it Dr. Grande thinks that he aint that bad. Peterson steps out of his fields of expertise a little (out of areas in which he has Phds like psychology and into areas that he doesnt have doctorates, like philosophy). But he is not as "unscientific" as say...Dr. Phil who Grande thinks can come to some "unscientific conclusions".

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 1:39 pm

Aghogday, ^ thats a reasonable response. I think he's overly maligned. 160IQ huh? I knew he was intelligent. That's plain to see. IQ doesn't equal emotional stability or wisdom. Granted he seems somewhat of f-up, taken a downward spiral, hes been to rehab for drug problems, i don't know much about his personal life , or care much about his personal politics or the controversy hes gotten himself into. He seems to given up academia for a life of celebrity that is true. But the mythology lectures he did at Harvard later published in 1999 book 'maps of meaning' are very intriguing. And from what I've seen of him back then he seemed very sane. Mythology is speculative field anyway, its not a science, though he brings cogent arguments and methodical approach to things. He's like Joseph Campbell before him, who did similar work, it all his individual interpretation, doesn't mean he wrong though, or has no merit.

His online videos, i don't follow the dude, i've seen snippets of things. Cult leader? that sounds like hyperbole, he's another outspoken Intellectual. This time with favorable credentials to his claims. Youtube can be all very trashy, political mud fighting. He dared to hold politically incorrect positions, due to his own personal ideology. That makes him despised by other ideologues. And the fallout looks to have taken it's toll on him physically. The media circus sh1tsorm is all very anathema to me.

Go watch his Harvard or Toronto university lectures if you want to get a more untainted appraisal of what he's actually done, if you're inclined towards Mythology/psychology subjects. Yeah and Dr Phil is just a TV buffoon, if anybody should be maligned it's that guy, but then again, I'm going by hearsay, I don't KNOW enough about Oprahs pal to say he's a bad guy or not, He seems like a huckster to me, but THAT would be unfairly dismissive lol, maybe hes a great guy. I don't know, and don't really care enough about him to investigate that.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 2:54 pm

theprisoner wrote:
He seems to given up academia for a life of celebrity that is true.

The mark of a true philosopher :)

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 5:09 pm

HighLlama wrote:
The mark of a true philosopher :)

And a very smart man. You only live once, might as well enjoy it.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 7:34 pm

Dox47 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
I'm sure in his mind he has world wide fame.

Nothing imaginary about it, he's quite well known, though people often have funny ideas of what his views actually are.

He's well known to people like us who discuss such things. I'm not sure that he's well known to the man on the clapham omnibus.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 10:02 pm

theprisoner wrote:
Mythology is speculative field anyway, its not a science, though he brings cogent arguments and methodical approach to things. He's like Joseph Campbell before him, who did similar work, it all his individual interpretation, doesn't mean he wrong though, or has no merit.

I actually watched those, before JP got famous, as part of research on a course on storytelling I was giving. I also read Campbell.
The problem is not that they have idionsyncratic interpretations of things, but that both vehemently declared their interpretation as the correct one.
(individual interpretations are for postmodernists, aren't they).
Both Campbell and JP employ a Jungian framework, which is about as scientific as Tarot cards.
I do grant JP that he is an experienced therapist, but I don't buy that interpreting *everything* through the lens of individual psychology is the way to interpret ancient texts - or the global financial markets, or tax reform, or continental philosophy. He doesn't so much engage with ideas as he diagnoses the authors at a distance, both temporal and spatial. He's the resentment-driven ideologue he claims everyone else to be, and claims a degree in psychology makes him a scientist - what is that even supppsed to mean in this context? - no need to employ the scientific method if you *are* a scientist?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 11:51 pm

theprisoner wrote:
Aghogday, ^ thats a reasonable response. I think he's overly maligned. 160IQ huh? I knew he was intelligent. That's plain to see. IQ doesn't equal emotional stability or wisdom. Granted he seems somewhat of f-up, taken a downward spiral, hes been to rehab for drug problems, i don't know much about his personal life , or care much about his personal politics or the controversy hes gotten himself into. He seems to given up academia for a life of celebrity that is true. But the mythology lectures he did at Harvard later published in 1999 book 'maps of meaning' are very intriguing. And from what I've seen of him back then he seemed very sane. Mythology is speculative field anyway, its not a science, though he brings cogent arguments and methodical approach to things. He's like Joseph Campbell before him, who did similar work, it all his individual interpretation, doesn't mean he wrong though, or has no merit.

His online videos, i don't follow the dude, i've seen snippets of things. Cult leader? that sounds like hyperbole, he's another outspoken Intellectual. This time with favorable credentials to his claims. Youtube can be all very trashy, political mud fighting. He dared to hold politically incorrect positions, due to his own personal ideology. That makes him despised by other ideologues. And the fallout looks to have taken it's toll on him physically. The media circus sh1tsorm is all very anathema to me.

Go watch his Harvard or Toronto university lectures if you want to get a more untainted appraisal of what he's actually done, if you're inclined towards Mythology/psychology subjects. Yeah and Dr Phil is just a TV buffoon, if anybody should be maligned it's that guy, but then again, I'm going by hearsay, I don't KNOW enough about Oprahs pal to say he's a bad guy or not, He seems like a huckster to me, but THAT would be unfairly dismissive lol, maybe hes a great guy. I don't know, and don't really care enough about him to investigate that.

i Heard About Peterson on the "Wrong Planet," Initially in Reference to His
Mythology Associated Courses At Toronto University As They Were Linked here.

i Am Interested in Mythology and Human Archetypes And Story Telling too of Course;
So, i Listened to His Videos And Found Them Interesting; Yes, He is a Best Selling Author;
And Just Tonight, His Book Is Still Posted on the Wall on Display At Barnes And Noble, Over

Here in Florida; His Books Are Having a Fairly Long Run, For 15 Minutes of Fame, Indeed.

i Don't See His Books Harming Anyone; And He Surely is Lauded By Those
Folks Who Buy Them; i Read A Book Every Sunday FOR FREE, While Meditating
In Contemplative Autotelic Flowing Dance, Entertaining the Barnes And Noble Student Crowd;

Yes, Additionally, Hoping to Motivate Them Not to Get too stuck on their Computer Screens,
Hehe; Anyway, i Read Both Of His Books For Free; i Didn't See Anything New That i Haven't
Studied or Heard of Before; Yet, i Can See Where Young Men, Without Much Direction Now
Or Guidance In Life, Might Gain Some Benefit From Them as They surely Have Reviewed the

Books As Such As Best Sellers in Several Countries that is Surely No Small Achievement, indeed;

And i Don't See Him Adding any Of the Political Controversies in the Books As That is More For
YouTube in Holding An Audience like Glue; i Don't think He Is intending to Be A 'Cult Leader';

Yet His Loyal
Followers Surely
Worship Him that Way;
Easy to See in the Comments
on His YouTube Channel, Reminiscent
Yes, in How Religious Leaders Get Treated on YouTube:

Amen,

Amen,

Yes, Just
Affirmation
For All that's Said...

Unless He Shadow Bans
The Disagreeing Opinions
That Surely Does Happen
on Channels Where Religious Leaders Do 'Their Thing' too...

There Are Just too Many Folks Similar to Peterson With Followings
That Bind And Bond Over Common Ideologies to Count; And Yes
Reminiscent of Christian Dominations Numbering 45,000 Or So These Days...

Yes, New Religions
At Core of What Binds
And Bonds Humans Together

In Common Symbols And Ideologies;

Yet It's True, if Peterson Was Not Linked
Before on this Website, i Probably Wouldn't
Have Noticed His Existence Anymore Than
The Tons of Other 'Best Selling' Authors At Barnes And Noble...

There Are Just Too Many Moving Parts of Big Culture As Small Culture to

Keep Up

With Now;
i'm not Surprised
There Are People Here
Who Are Not Familiar With him.

i Read so Fast, i Can Breeze Through
Just About Every Topic Here And What's
Shared Here Remains with me; Yet Again,

Out of Sight, Out of Mind For Innumerable Other
Folks With Followings Like Peterson on YouTube and the Like...

It Was Interesting, As A Famous Author Was Signing Books Today
At Barnes And Noble And Some Young Man Recognized me As 'The
Public Dancer' Around Town As Most Everyone Else Does in a Metro
Area of Several Hundred Thousand Dollars; Not my Fault That Literally
Thousands or People over the Last 100 Months Have Video Taped my Public
Dancing (16,066 Miles Now) And Shared me With Social Media to Get THEM Recognition Hehe;

Yet They Don't
Know my 'Real

Name' And That's

The Best Part; i'm Free

to Be me Without Any Flack
From Folks Who Wouldn't Like Some
of the Other Stuff i Do that Would Hardly Fly With Anyone, hehe...

Particularly, in A Place Where Nearly Everyone Worships a Dead Man as God...

And Totally

Misses the
Deeper More
Mystical Meanings
of that Story too; That's
What I'm Interested in,

Breaking And
Making the

Myths Real hehe...

Yet That's Another Story indeed..;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 3:54 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
He's well known to people like us who discuss such things. I'm not sure that he's well known to the man on the clapham omnibus.

Eh, he's an international best selling author, on the overall charts and not just the niche ones, that qualifies as famous in my book. Just to be clear, this isn't something I particularly care about, but the tendency to tear people down we disagree with annoys me, like the people who suddenly try to claim JK Rowling is a bad writer because they don't like her tweets.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 8:21 am

Dox47 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

Eh, he's an international best selling author, on the overall charts and not just the niche ones, that qualifies as famous in my book. Just to be clear, this isn't something I particularly care about, but the tendency to tear people down we disagree with annoys me, like the people who suddenly try to claim JK Rowling is a bad writer because they don't like her tweets.

I quite like her books but I'm telling you, none of my non politically minded friends would know his name and even then, they don't know him for his as a psychology professor. Very few professors become wellknown to non students/academics for work they did within their own fields. I rather like Richard Dawkins but we both know he wouldn't be half as famous if he didn't spend a lot of his time sh*****g on religious people.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 11:58 pm

I just heard of him too and had to look him up. Seems like another right wing bigot and he didn't agree with their campus policies he quit. Good riddance.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 4:21 am

League_Girl wrote:
I just heard of him too and had to look him up. Seems like another right wing bigot and he didn't agree with their campus policies he quit. Good riddance.

I'm sure he cried all the way to the bank after he quit in order to focus on his far more lucrative media empire.