Page 17 of 27 [ 424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 27  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 10:34 pm

Also, in America we associate a certain type of suit wearing with organized crime and gangsters, and Trump has a well known preoccupation with such things, and may have been going for a bit of a mob boss look as well with his suits, though I would have expected more pinstripes and a certain "sharpness" for that look. I'd have died laughing if he'd shown up with a pinky ring or something, I could see him rocking one, his style is gaudy enough for it to work.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 11:53 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Eh, I think you're over-analyzing here, it's just a sartorial choice, and the expected one for a politician in the US. Trump's suits were a little different in that they were dated, his style really was stuck in the late 80s, but aside from that they were perfectly normal for someone seeking and occupying a political office here, what was different and rebellious was what came out of his mouth, both in the coarseness of what he said and in his willingness to go against the orthodoxy of not just the Democratic party, but the the GOP as well. He gleefully shredded Reagan's 11th Commandment, "thou shallt not speak ill of a fellow Republican in public", which was thrilling to a GOP base who'd long felt betrayed by their own elite, and if anything, wearing a suit while he did it might have created a little extra frisson, like hearing your teacher curse, the dissonance making it more striking.

I thought I was just making an observation on the difference between how I see the world and how some others see it.

Suits are still very much the dress code of politicians in the UK. That prime minister we had before Theresa May once used the fact that Corbyn wasn't wearing a suit in the house of commons as a way of dodging some more serious question.

Incidentally, AFAIK Trump's approval rating in the UK has never been above 16% (I don't know what that says about British taste), and although Boris clearly admires him, he's accordingly quick to distance himself from the idea that he's like him. They're actually quite similar in some ways, one difference being that Boris has a better command of English.

The gangster thing may have some grounding in reality. I heard that the Trump family had some kind of underworld connections back in the prohibition days, but I can't remember the details.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 11:55 pm

People want Trump because he is literally a canvas that anything can be painted on. He has proven to be willing to be anything, to anyone.

He has no qualms about selling anybody or anything out if it benefits himself. He is selfish to a maximum level.

A cheap, plastic, whore of a human.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 12:00 am

It's not even a matter of people misunderstanding him.

People in my own life have been confused by my politics, but, I have always been:

- Someone who respects, defends, and pursues the interests of disabled folk.
- Someone who is open-minded and willing to be corrected on any issue, if I am convinced by evidence.
- A person who goes out of my way to make disabled communities more peaceful & less fractured, despite my own divisive politics.

I used to like Trump because at one point he was doing some good in combatting wokeology. But he has lost his direction completely now.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 1:22 am

NoClearMind53 wrote:
ironpony wrote:
NoClearMind53 wrote:
ironpony wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:
But I think there is a difference between standing behind your beliefs, and not being okay with other people's beliefs. Can't a person stand behind their beliefs, without feeling they are budging if they don't? There is a difference between being confident and wanting everyone else to think like you. If you want everyone else to think like you and cannot agree to disagree, isn't that more like insecurity, rather than confidence?

Sure! but that's part of self-belief. "I'm right and everyone else is wrong.

But if this is part of self belief, then how come other cultures are able to agree to disagree without so much fighting, but American culture is not able to? Does American culture take it to more of an extreme? I mean I hear stories in the US of people actually breaking up getting divorced over political disagreements, where as other couples in other cultures seem to be able to agree to disagree, and go by the idealogy that not everyone likes the same thing, but it seems that a lot of Americans cannot handle that and think of disagreement as a huge ego blow in comparison, or so it seems?

Plenty of "beliefs" effect whether people live or die, so of course people are going to fight over them. It isn't like we are fighting over our favorite color.

I understand that, but in this case of this whole democrat vs. republican fight, how will more people die if one is in power compared to the other though?

Deaths of despair are rising all the time. Homelessness is rising all the time. Our healthcare system price gouges people so many opt to not even bother with treatment for certain things and end up dying. One party, while largely stifled and ineffective, at least pays lip service to these issues. The other one blocks every single thing.

Oh okay. But democrats never really seem to do anything to solve the healthcare or homeless issues. They say they care about them, but they never want to actually install a socialized healthcare system. Plus California for example is considered to be one of the bluest states, yet they have a huge homelessness problem that just seems to be getting worse. So it seems the democrats never want to put their money where their mouths are. Not that republicans are doing anything either, but it just seems democrats are not either, and it seems mostly for show?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 2:57 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay. But democrats never really seem to do anything to solve the healthcare or homeless issues. They say they care about them, but they never want to actually install a socialized healthcare system. Plus California for example is considered to be one of the bluest states, yet they have a huge homelessness problem that just seems to be getting worse. So it seems the democrats never want to put their money where their mouths are. Not that republicans are doing anything either, but it just seems democrats are not either, and it seems mostly for show?

There is an element of show to it, but as least when it comes to the progressives, the other problem is something I've heard called "pathological altruism", a sort of false kindness that is more about feeling kind than actually being kind or helping. You really see it a lot with homelessness issues, allowing people to live feral on the streets and destroy their lives with drugs rather than a "tough love" type approach that might yield better long term results, but entails things like stringent enforcement of no camping laws and shutting down open air drug markets, or using involuntary commitment for the mentally ill that progressives recoil from as "cruel" or mean spirited.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 3:41 am

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 3:51 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
The gangster thing may have some grounding in reality. I heard that the Trump family had some kind of underworld connections back in the prohibition days, but I can't remember the details.

You might be thinking of the Kennedy family, they did make their money from bootlegging and had shady connections to the underworld, AFAIK the Trump family were saloon keepers who may have dealt with prostitutes and other questionable business from time to time but weren't what you'd call organized crime. The rumors around Trump and his father had more to do with possible mob connections with things like construction work and services, like maybe they were paying kickbacks or working some kind of scheme, but never that they were actually in a crime family or anything like that.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 4:11 am

Without Joe Kennedys ties with to the mob, it could be argued that JFK wouldn't have been elected. One conspiracy theory surrounding his assassination is that the mafia too him out because they they saw it as a slap in the face when Robert Kennedy waged a war against organized crime.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 5:18 am

VegetableMan wrote:
Without Joe Kennedys ties with to the mob, it could be argued that JFK wouldn't have been elected. One conspiracy theory surrounding his assassination is that the mafia too him out because they they saw it as a slap in the face when Robert Kennedy waged a war against organized crime.

IIRC Kennedy himself used to joke about "daddy buying enough votes", and Nixon was quite convinced that Kennedy did actually cheat in 1960, but chose not to pursue it as he thought it would rip the country apart. LBJ definitely cheated in his early Texas days, he carried a chip on his shoulder about it the rest of his political life because people treated him as illegitimate about it, calling him "Landslide Lyndon" for his squeaker paid for win.

I don't go for the conspiracies about JFK just because a disgruntled loser shooting him to be somebody makes too much sense given everything I know about the world, plus that wasn't how the mob really worked back then. They whacked their own guy Dutch Schultz in 1935 because he was intent on killing the high profile prosecutor who was pursuing him, and they thought that would bring too much heat, much less killing the US president over what amounted to disrespect.

I also don't think they were capable, the mob got away with murder not by being master assassins, but rather by shipping in outside hitmen to do the jobs and getting them out of town quickly, so when the usual suspects were rounded up everyone had an ironclad alibi and they didn't even know who the hitters were anyway, all the violence was subcontracted to a completely separate organization run out of a candy shop in Brownsville. A sniper would be far outside of their capabilities, most of their killings didn't even use guns, they'd prefer to use knives or icepicks or rope that could be purchased locally without arousing suspicion, and then discarded after the job. My late father was fascinated by the Mafia for some reason, so I grew up with this stuff, and then later did my own reading and realized that their reputation was a bit exaggerated, to put it lightly.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 9:56 am

Dox47 wrote:
ironpony wrote:

There is an element of show to it, but as least when it comes to the progressives, the other problem is something I've heard called "pathological altruism", a sort of false kindness that is more about feeling kind than actually being kind or helping. You really see it a lot with homelessness issues, allowing people to live feral on the streets and destroy their lives with drugs rather than a "tough love" type approach that might yield better long term results, but entails things like stringent enforcement of no camping laws and shutting down open air drug markets, or using involuntary commitment for the mentally ill that progressives recoil from as "cruel" or mean spirited.

Oh okay, I see. Is this why American culture seems so volatile towards each other, is there is no tough love, and too many fragile egos, and therefore people are more susceptible to fighting therefore?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 10:03 am

VegetableMan wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
The Russiagate malarkey was every bit as evidence-free as election fraud. Same s**t, different toilet.

My point was it was taken more seriously by lawmakers than election fraud.

Yeah, unfortunately it was. The MSM has a decidedly Democratic Party bias. And the mindless drones who sucked that s**t up are no better than the right wingers.

Are you suggesting that US lawmakers and intelligence agencies are corrupt and pro-left?

They're pro-corporate state. That's what you don't seen to grasp. Of course they're corrupt! Duh!

Lets say they are. What does that have to do with it?

Descrediting Trump somehow benifits this "corporate state", but propping up Trump does not benifit the corporate state? How?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 11:20 am

naturalplastic wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
The Russiagate malarkey was every bit as evidence-free as election fraud. Same s**t, different toilet.

Yeah, unfortunately it was. The MSM has a decidedly Democratic Party bias. And the mindless drones who sucked that s**t up are no better than the right wingers.

Are you suggesting that US lawmakers and intelligence agencies are corrupt and pro-left?

They're pro-corporate state. That's what you don't seen to grasp. Of course they're corrupt! Duh!

Descrediting Trump somehow benifits this "corporate state", but propping up Trump does not benifit the corporate state? How?

That's such a non sequitur that I don't even know how to respond to it.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 6:20 pm

Dox47 wrote:
You might be thinking of the Kennedy family, they did make their money from bootlegging and had shady connections to the underworld, AFAIK the Trump family were saloon keepers who may have dealt with prostitutes and other questionable business from time to time but weren't what you'd call organized crime. The rumors around Trump and his father had more to do with possible mob connections with things like construction work and services, like maybe they were paying kickbacks or working some kind of scheme, but never that they were actually in a crime family or anything like that.

Now I remember, it was at a gangster museum in a place called Hot Springs. They also mentioned the Kennedys. Trump was only mentioned verbally. As I've long felt that most politicians are more or less gangsters anyway, the information didn't seem particularly surprising to me, and I didn't retain much detail. I do remember that during prohibition there was a loophole by which if you were wealthy enough to pay a willing doctor, you could get a note entitling you to all the spirits you wanted as necessary for "medicinal purposes." But I digress.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 7:54 pm

Well as far as people saying they do not like Trump because he is misogynistic, I cannot find any examples of women who have come forth and accused him of any mistreatment or abuse. Is there any?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 9:01 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

That's such a non sequitur that I don't even know how to respond to it.

You just said that "opposing Trump is corrupt, but supporting Trump is not corrupt" did you not?

Or what ARE you saying?

How would a non corrupt media report it?