Page 10 of 21 [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 21  Next

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 2:19 pm

Just to answer my simple question:
Why before "Russia" lost the Cold War, China, which is also a communist camp, dug air-raid shelters all over the country because of fear of the Soviet Union, and why did China's important industrial and scientific research institutions have to flee their northern territory?

Because China in the communist era also wants to isolate the Soviet Union?

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 2:24 pm

QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
"Appeal to Pity" now?  Don't even try.
Thats not an excuse, thats actually the main issue here. I don't like being isolated due to Asperger and I also don't like Russia losing cold war.
"False Equivocation" now.  Russia and Autism Spectrum Disorders are not the same thing.
QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Russia would not be so isolated if it had not already stolen Crimea and is now trying to steal parts of Ukraine.  Nobody likes a bully except other bullies.
As far as its taking Crimea it was only taking part of its territory that it used to have prior to Khruschev (who was Ukrainian) giving Krimea to Ukraine as a present.
"False Justification" now.  Prior to Kruschev, what is now Russia was the former Soviet Union.  The dissolution of the Soviet Union nullified any claims Russia may have believed it had.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 May 2022, 2:40 pm

I love this "it was our territory before <a historical event>, so we have a right to it" argument.
I propose restoring national borders from 1612 :twisted:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 2:40 pm

Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
"Appeal to Pity" now?  Don't even try.
Thats not an excuse, thats actually the main issue here. I don't like being isolated due to Asperger and I also don't like Russia losing cold war.
"False Equivocation" now.  Russia and Autism Spectrum Disorders are not the same thing.

Okay, let me remind you of a line of conversation. I pointed out how USA has far more military bases than Russia yet people are more angry at Russia than at the USA. Then mags asked why some people have more friends than others? What is the most typical reason? So I told her that the most typical reason is something other than mags was insinuating, and brought autism as an example.

Now, autistics having less friends than others is part of a bigger phenomenon. And the bigger phenomenon is that introverts have less friends than extroverts, nerds have less friends than the popular, etc. So actually when she asked that rhetoric question "why do some people have more friends than others", she inadvertedly proven her own point wrong. The synonym of having more friends is being popular. And I don't think of popular people as the nicest ones. If anything, the popular people are the shallow ones while nerds are deep thinkers who are unfairly isolated.

Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Russia would not be so isolated if it had not already stolen Crimea and is now trying to steal parts of Ukraine.  Nobody likes a bully except other bullies.
As far as its taking Crimea it was only taking part of its territory that it used to have prior to Khruschev (who was Ukrainian) giving Krimea to Ukraine as a present.
"False Justification" now.  Prior to Kruschev, what is now Russia was the former Soviet Union.  The dissolution of the Soviet Union nullified any claims Russia may have believed it had.

Back in Soviet time, there were different "Republics". Russia was one of the "republics" of Soviet Union, Ukraine was another one. In any case, prior to Khruschev, Krimea was part of a "republic" of Russia. Khruschev made it into a "republic" of Ukraine. Since it was all one soviet union it was non-issue and the act was merely symbolic. But now that we no longer have soviet union it became an issue, as native Russians were stuck in Ukrainian soil.

Last edited by QFT on 17 May 2022, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 2:47 pm

magz wrote:
I love this "it was our territory before <a historical event>, so we have a right to it" argument.

oh, Moscow. :lol:

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 2:52 pm

QFT wrote:
Okay, let me remind you of a line of conversation. I pointed out how USA has far more military bases than Russia yet people are more angry at Russia than at the USA. Then magz asked why some people have more friends than others? What is the most typical reason? So I told her that the most typical reason is something other than magz was insinuating, and brought autism as an example.

Yes, "insinuating" could be a factor.

I haven't "eaten" what you call "insinuating". Because I'm not relying on the propaganda you're accusing.
So in the control experiment, why in the presence of "reverse-insinuating", China is still extremely afraid of the Soviet Union and a considerable number of people in modern times still fear Russia?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 3:00 pm

QFT wrote:
[ . . . ]
Please post something relevant to the discussion.  Thank you.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 4:35 pm

magz wrote:

But is it that simple? Aren't there Russians living in Ukraine? I understand there is a substantial Russian minority in Lithuania and Estonia and half the population of Latvia. Isn't 90% of Russia and the USA made up of territory stolen from other people?

No matter how much we are all sitting around the campfire singing Kumbayah for the Ukrainians, making enemies with the Russian state only serves to create economic instability for the entire world. I am still skeptical if this a price worth paying and I think many Russians living in Ukraine have a right to say that they also feel threatened by groups like the Azov militia (can we blame Putin 100% for everything? the answer is always more complicated).

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 4:39 pm

cyberdad wrote:
No matter how much we are all sitting around the campfire singing Kumbayah for the Ukrainians, making enemies with the Russian state only serves to create economic instability for the entire world.

Since the hot war was initiated by Russia first, the problem is to define what is called "making enemies with the Russian state".
This topic even deserves to start a new thread, and a discussion with sufficiently diverse opinions would require more people from different citizenships.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 12:24 am

cyberdad wrote:
magz wrote:

But is it that simple? Aren't there Russians living in Ukraine? I understand there is a substantial Russian minority in Lithuania and Estonia and half the population of Latvia. Isn't 90% of Russia and the USA made up of territory stolen from other people?

No matter how much we are all sitting around the campfire singing Kumbayah for the Ukrainians, making enemies with the Russian state only serves to create economic instability for the entire world. I am still skeptical if this a price worth paying and I think many Russians living in Ukraine have a right to say that they also feel threatened by groups like the Azov militia (can we blame Putin 100% for everything? the answer is always more complicated).

And we shouldnt make enemies with people like Jeffery Daumier, Ted Bundy, and Jack the Ripper, because all of that police work costs the taxpayer money? Russia is the aggressor. Russia messing up the world economy. And Russia is creating its own enemies. "We' arent doing it.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 May 2022, 1:11 am

QFT wrote:
Back in Soviet time, there were different "Republics". Russia was one of the "republics" of Soviet Union, Ukraine was another one. In any case, prior to Khruschev, Krimea was part of a "republic" of Russia. Khruschev made it into a "republic" of Ukraine. Since it was all one soviet union it was non-issue and the act was merely symbolic. But now that we no longer have soviet union it became an issue, as native Russians were stuck in Ukrainian soil.
As part Soviet Union, Crimea was a separate republic in 1921-1945 (24 years), part of Russian republic in 1945-1954 (9 years) and part of Ukrainian republic in 1954-1991 (37 years). Then, Soviet Union dissolved.
Claiming it's Russian is not any more justified than claiming it's an independent state (or even Turkish, for its earlier history).

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 May 2022, 1:24 am

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I am still skeptical if this a price worth paying and I think many Russians living in Ukraine have a right to say that they also feel threatened by groups like the Azov militia (can we blame Putin 100% for everything? the answer is always more complicated).
And we shouldnt make enemies with people like Jeffery Daumier, Ted Bundy, and Jack the Ripper, because all of that police work costs the taxpayer money? Russia is the aggressor. Russia messing up the world economy. And Russia is creating its own enemies. "We' arent doing it.
And we should drop all the rape cases because it's only promoting hate, while the the truth is always more complicated?
"She provoked me!"
And rapists can be valuable businessmen, we shouldn't damage our economy for their little spoils?

Stop. Victim. Blaming.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 2:24 am

magz wrote:
I'm not omniscient, lol.

Agreed.
It worries the Oracle of Truth when reality is distorted to suggest you are omniscient.
We don't need another cult messiah.
Flattery is fine, but please maintain the foundation of our rational existence, people. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 2:28 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
No matter how much we are all sitting around the campfire singing Kumbayah for the Ukrainians, making enemies with the Russian state only serves to create economic instability for the entire world.

Since the hot war was initiated by Russia first, the problem is to define what is called "making enemies with the Russian state".
This topic even deserves to start a new thread, and a discussion with sufficiently diverse opinions would require more people from different citizenships.

But how is this different from China invading Tibet or the US invading Hawaii, Philippines or Grenada? I realised some times has elapsed since those events but the US would refer to Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto rico, California and Texas as "internal" matters even though the native people never had a say.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 2:29 am

Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
I'm not omniscient, lol.  I just have close look on some things, with my own experiences, my family's experiences, experiences of the people I know, including several Russians and Ukrainians.  And I follow the topic closely because it does directly influence my life.
That is what I had in mind when I sat your word could be trusted.[/color]

Please stop.
You are embarrassing magz...
...hopefully... 8O :mrgreen:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 2:29 am

magz wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I am still skeptical if this a price worth paying and I think many Russians living in Ukraine have a right to say that they also feel threatened by groups like the Azov militia (can we blame Putin 100% for everything? the answer is always more complicated).
And we should drop all the rape cases because it's only promoting hate, while the the truth is always more complicated?
"She provoked me!"
And rapists can be valuable businessmen, we shouldn't damage our economy for their little spoils?

Stop. Victim. Blaming.

I am not victim blaming. I am saying listen to both sides.