Nobody interested in the Russia-Ukraine conflict?

Page 72 of 196 [ 3131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 196  Next

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 1:58 am

Pepe wrote:
The CCP could adopt the Russian strategy of prolonged missile and artillery attacks in addition to bombing raids.
They could also stop any shipping going in and out of Taiwan.

impossible. You may have missed what I said.
Taiwan's chip industry is vital to the world, including China.
This not only caused China's own manufacturing industry to be hit hard, but also caused other countries to quickly intervene.

As of now, China is highly dependent on the United States for oil. The US can easily dismantle China's war machine.

Pepe wrote:
They have the biggest navy in the world. What is to stop them?

When did the United States disappear from the face of the earth? :scratch:

The total tonnage of the Chinese navy is two-thirds that of the U.S. Navy, and there is a technological gap.
The United States has a large number of military bases in the Asia-Pacific region, which can directly strike the mainland of China.
Quote:
Pentagon chief says China is no match for the US Navy, even if it has more ships

I thought the propaganda of the Australian right (not you) would at least be deduced using objective facts?

It is a reasonable and common way for hawks to use the propaganda of the "China threat" to win more money for their own military preparations.
But if someone completely lose awareness of the situation because of this, they will only make decisions as absurd as Putin.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 2:38 am

I heard russia may be realizing they won't win this conflict and a coup could be immanent, but not sure if that is for sure the case just saw a news article suggesting that.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 2:40 am

Which news article was that out of curiosity?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 3:03 am

ironpony wrote:
Which news article was that out of curiosity?

Well here is something about it, not sure if it is the one I initially saw though:
https://www.newsweek.com/coup-putin-russia-ukraine-general-cancer-kyrylo-budanov-1706685
But yeah may not be for sure but apparently could b a possibility.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 May 2022, 3:06 am

Pepe wrote:
This had nothing to do with trusting each other.
Russia sold CO2 producing fossil fuels while Germany stupidly depended on "clean energy" and in addition, paid Russia for the dirty energy. (Rather stupid, don't you think?)

But it wasn't a case of Trust.
It was a financial arrangement, and if Russia didn't deliver, Germany wouldn't pay.
No "Trust" is required.
It was trust - on a simple level that Russians would behave like a normal contractor and not weaponize European dependency on Russian natural gas.
Poland and Baltic states expected it, we built LNG terminals in recent years exactly in anticipation of this, while Germans were building NS and NS2, further extending their dependency on Russian fuels.

So, when Russians unilaterally changed the contracts and cut us out as a result of our disagreement, we were already prepared. Germans are "waking up with a hand in a potty", as Polish idiom says.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 May 2022, 3:10 am

Pepe wrote:
Russia wouldn't attack China because it is no match for China.
And China and Russia have aided each other in overcoming sanctions on wheat, and presumably other products.
There is no rational reason for Russia to attack.
You again attribute reason to Russian decision-making process...

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 3:52 am

magz wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Russia sold CO2 producing fossil fuels while Germany stupidly depended on "clean energy" and in addition, paid Russia for the dirty energy. (Rather stupid, don't you think?)

It was a financial arrangement, and if Russia didn't deliver, Germany wouldn't pay.
No "Trust" is required.
It was trust - on a simple level that Russians would behave like a normal contractor and not weaponize European dependency on Russian natural gas.
Poland and Baltic states expected it, we built LNG terminals in recent years exactly in anticipation of this, while Germans were building NS and NS2, further extending their dependency on Russian fuels.

So, when Russians unilaterally changed the contracts and cut us out as a result of our disagreement, we were already prepared. Germans are "waking up with a hand in a potty", as Polish idiom says.

He takes a different yardstick when evaluating China-Australia trade.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 4:22 am

When a large-number/different-class of people or even a country is involved, to attribute a trend of thought/decisions entirely to psychology is an expression of inappropriate contempt for the intelligence of others. That is, implying that most people do not know how to protect their own interests.
It is also an oversimplified generalization that refuses to deeply understand the laws of how society works.

Its end result may actually be detrimental to the entire group, but that doesn't mean the promoters aren't doing it for their own benefit.
Its ultimate failure is often due to internal divergence of interests, cognitive limitations, questionable sources of information, or the environment that can't be undone.

It's intellectual laziness to attribute behavior you don't understand entirely to moral-turpitude/lack-of-reason.
Or sipping a cheap source of intellectual superiority.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

21 May 2022, 5:09 am

Pepe wrote:
And China and Russia have aided each other in overcoming sanctions on wheat, and presumably other products.
There is no reason for Russia to attack Ukraine, yet here we are.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 May 2022, 5:19 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
When a large-number/different-class of people or even a country is involved, to attribute a trend of thought/decisions entirely to psychology is an expression of inappropriate contempt for the intelligence of others. That is, implying that most people do not know how to protect their own interests.
It is also an oversimplified generalization that refuses to deeply understand the laws of how society works.

Its end result may actually be detrimental to the entire group, but that doesn't mean the promoters aren't doing it for their own benefit.
Its ultimate failure is often due to internal divergence of interests, cognitive limitations, questionable sources of information, or the environment that can't be undone.

It's intellectual laziness to attribute behavior you don't understand entirely to moral-turpitude/lack-of-reason.
When trying to predict actions of something like a large group, company or state, the crucial part is understanding the structure of their decision-making processes.
I claim that decision-making processes of Russian state are... specific. Standard cost-benefit calculations (coloquially called "reason") are not a good predictor of their results.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 5:29 am

magz wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:

When trying to predict actions of something like a large group, company or state, the crucial part is understanding the structure of their decision-making processes.
I claim that decision-making processes of Russian state are... specific. Standard cost-benefit calculations (coloquially called "reason") are not a good predictor of their results.

Hummm... yes, when the degree of centralization is higher and the group of decision makers is smaller, the model will be closer to the chaotic state like the individual.
This is seen as one of the reasons for the transnational bourgeoisie's preference for creating more democracies.(Unless totalitarian regimes are willing to cooperate and must rely on cooperation to maintain their existence.) When risk can be better predicted, there is more room for profit.

But I'm not challenging your claim.
At some point, a policymaker in power will be kidnapped by the nationalism or other zeal they had previously exploited to make decisions that are less suited to the long term. This doesn't even happen only at the regime level.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 6:27 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
The CCP could adopt the Russian strategy of prolonged missile and artillery attacks in addition to bombing raids.
They could also stop any shipping going in and out of Taiwan.

impossible. You may have missed what I said.
Taiwan's chip industry is vital to the world, including China.
This not only caused China's own manufacturing industry to be hit hard, but also caused other countries to quickly intervene.

As of now, China is highly dependent on the United States for oil. The US can easily dismantle China's war machine.

Hong Kong used to be a major financial hub, but that didn't stop the CCP from crushing it.
Why would they care about the Taiwanese industry if it is a legacy of reunification that is the primary concern?
Ix may be a self-proclaimed perpetual leader, but, like pootin, will not live forever.

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
They have the biggest navy in the world. What is to stop them?

When did the United States disappear from the face of the earth? :scratch:

The last I heard, all the wargame simulations ended in an Ammurian defeat.
There are no guarantees that Ammuria will even enter a hopeless war.

SkinnedWolf wrote:
The total tonnage of the Chinese navy is two-thirds that of the U.S. Navy, and there is a technological gap.

Oh, but the CCP hasn't stopped its production of warships.
I have heard that the total production per year of CCP warships is the equivalent of the entire Taiwanese navy.
Also, these are new ships, not decades-old ships.

SkinnedWolf wrote:
The United States has a large number of military bases in the Asia-Pacific region, which can directly strike the mainland of China.

Tell that to the US military strategists engaged in war simulations.
As I said, these simulations indicated they couldn't win the "war of Taiwan".

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Quote:
Pentagon chief says China is no match for the US Navy, even if it has more ships

I thought the propaganda of the Australian right (not you) would at least be deduced using objective facts?

Just because you came across an article supporting your view doesn't eliminate other views that have been voiced.

SkinnedWolf wrote:
It is a reasonable and common way for hawks to use the propaganda of the "China threat" to win more money for their own military preparations.
But if someone completely lose awareness of the situation because of this, they will only make decisions as absurd as Putin.

As I have said to you on many occasions, if the CCP didn't threaten other countries with their wolf warrior diplomacy, there wouldn't be these concerns.

Diplomatic relations have severely declined with various countries since Xi came to power.
I have lived this for 6 years or more.
You were around 16 at the time. :wink:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 6:29 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I heard russia may be realizing they won't win this conflict and a coup could be immanent, but not sure if that is for sure the case just saw a news article suggesting that.

There were many attempts at assassinating Hitler, also.
Unfortunately, they didn't succeed.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 6:49 am

Pepe wrote:
Hong Kong used to be a major financial hub, but that didn't stop the CCP from crushing it.
Why would they care about the Taiwanese industry if it is a legacy of reunification that is the primary concern?
Ix may be a self-proclaimed perpetual leader, but, like pootin, will not live forever.

I'm not sure what you are talking about.
Before the mainland government intervened, an armed riot broke out in a faction in Hong Kong, affecting the local production order.
If there is a mainland army bombing Hong Kong civilians/buildings, I will get the news.
I would be surprised if Hong Kong was no longer a financial center now.

Pepe wrote:
The last I heard, all the wargame simulations ended in an Ammurian defeat.
There are no guarantees that Ammuria will even enter a hopeless war.

Depends on the goal of "the wargame simulations".
A lunatic would think that starting a full-scale war with a country like Russia/China that is used for huge strategic depth is easy to win. But that doesn't make assisting Ukraine an impossible task.

Pepe wrote:
Oh, but the CCP hasn't stopped its production of warships.
I have heard that the total production per year of CCP warships is the equivalent of the entire Taiwanese navy.
Also, these are new ships, not decades-old ships.

So U.S. shipyards are shut down?

Pepe wrote:
Tell that to the US military strategists engaged in war simulations.
As I said, these simulations indicated they couldn't win the "war of Taiwan".

Many "international people" have the opposite opinion.
And I doubt how many "outsiders" have a comprehensive understanding of what was/is going on inside China.
Although I don't think I could.

Pepe wrote:
As I have said to you on many occasions, if the CCP didn't threaten other countries with their wolf warrior diplomacy, there wouldn't be these concerns.

I don't recommend continuing to pretend it's because of "Xi" or a policy rather than the economy that has developed to the point of structural conflict that has caused the relationship to deteriorate.
If you jump out of the narrative structure of the Anglo circle establishment, (not even necessarily the Chinese narrative), you'll see some different perspectives on what's going on.

Pepe wrote:
Diplomatic relations have severely declined with various countries since Xi came to power.
I have lived this for 6 years or more.
You were around 16 at the time. :wink:

You can think that veterans have a deeper insight into the causes and consequences of WWII.
And you can guess how old I started paying attention to politics.

Last edited by SkinnedWolf on 21 May 2022, 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 6:51 am

magz wrote:
Pepe wrote:

No "Trust" is required.

Well, firstly, it was the Green Turtle and her government that were responsible for the mess in Germany, atm.
Secondly, Germany is the biggest economy in Europe and its energy needs are much greater than other countries.
Thirdly, it is a two-way street. Germany needed the gas and Russia need the revenue.
Cutting off the gas lines hurt both nations.

Once again, what a stupidity.
Rather than relying on the fossil fuel they had in abundance, they gave that up and imported "dirty energy" from a despot.
Where was the "saving the planet" part??? 8O

This in turn put the German economic "balls" in pootin's iron fist.
But this is the result of the leftist policy in Germany. Thinking with their heart and not their head. Engaging the virtue signalling narrative at the price of practicalities and simple god damned common sense.

Did you know that the Russians were funding anti-fossil fuel policy/protests in other parts of the world?
Talk about being suckered. 8O

But back to my point, at the time the pipelines were being built, I don't recall any concerns about Russia invading Ukraine. It was all about the separatist movement. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 6:57 am

magz wrote:
Pepe wrote:
You again attribute reason to Russian decision-making process...

There was reasoning.
pootin is a psychopathic murdering son of a bitach, but a thinking one.
You don't get to be the head of the Mafia Russia without intelligent cunning.

The problem was, pootin's intelligence services got it completely wrong in Ukraine's case.
As did Hitler's.
God, I luv Godwin. :mrgreen: